Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Nines isn't trustworthy because "Nines" killed Grout, and Rosa didn't realize it was a shapeshifter.
Strauss because Camarilla, but Lacroix is a liability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

mauman posted:

Essentially because Nines, while well meaning, is ultimately using you (just like everybody else, except the two mentioned by Rosa).

Nines really is the prince of the Anarchs (despite how he would HATE that comparison). He plays the political game just as much as all of the other players.

It really is that simple.

Nines might get involved in Kindred politics, but there's a big difference in approach between him and the other and he doesn't use you.

He's open about his intentions and gets people to follow him out of choice rather than through threats or trickery. He leads the anarchs because the anarchs look to him to lead, not because he's old enough that it's his turn or because he was given an eight foot tall completely obedient Sheriff to kill anyone that disobeys him.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

team overhead smash posted:

Nines might get involved in Kindred politics, but there's a big difference in approach between him and the other and he doesn't use you.

He's open about his intentions and gets people to follow him out of choice rather than through threats or trickery. He leads the anarchs because the anarchs look to him to lead, not because he's old enough that it's his turn or because he was given an eight foot tall completely obedient Sheriff to kill anyone that disobeys him.

That's one way to look at it I guess.

I disagree, but whatever :)

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Omobono posted:

Nines isn't trustworthy because "Nines" killed Grout, and Rosa didn't realize it was a shapeshifter.
Malkavians often do not understand the insight they are presenting. In this case, her relevant quote from her regarding the visit to Grouts mansion is: "He's not who he says she is and it's going to burn." The first bit is giving away that it isn't Nines, but a female impersonating him. The second bit is the building being burn down.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I like Nines. He reminds me of Theo Bell, the Brujah Archon -- so consumed with his cause that he doesn't really have time for the petty backstabbing bullshit endemic to most vampires. For a different character, who'd had a different couple of weeks, he'd be my favourite pick by far. But a Ventrue is always going to have a hellish time in with blue-collar anarchs.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Ghostwoods posted:

But a Ventrue is always going to have a hellish time in with blue-collar anarchs.

Even a Ventrue who's distanced themselves from the whole generic-camarilla-ventrue image? Does that even happen, though?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

gatz posted:

Even a Ventrue who's distanced themselves from the whole generic-camarilla-ventrue image? Does that even happen, though?

Well, there is no absolute; it's a game, so everything is at the whim of the GM/players. But in general, bigotry is bigotry. A long-haired atheist in the bible belt is going to get hassle from people who don't know him, no matter how much his pals know he's a good guy. Plus, VTM vampires become kinda static in their mental architecture when they change, for the same reasons that Toreador hardly ever manage to continue being innovative artists, so their bigotries tend to be more ingrained.

There's not many Ventrue who leave the Cam though, no. Rare at best. But everyone and everything has its antitribus. I'd generally assume an Anarch Ventrue would have the same sort of time of it as a Lasombra Cammie. There'll always be that uphill struggle.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
Finally made it all the way to the end, and my vote is for A because they are the only ones who really didn't screw you over. LaCroix can't be trusted, and I would trust a Tremere as far as a baby could throw him. The Sabbat would pop the box and then throw you in it when they were done, and the Kuei-jin would thank you and then recite a lovely poem for your soul while they left you out for the sun.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
So, finally caught up and just in time!

On most other runs, I'd say go Anarch. I like the Anarchs, they're pretty straight up with the player and are generally good guys.

But Melissa? Melissa is a low-humanity Ventrue. There's only one real way to go: F-1. gently caress Everything, gently caress It So Hard.

In regards to the mysteries?

Deb: I think she's gotta be involved somehow. I think a ghoul at least, although vampire is a distinct possibility. The only real evidence is how she reacts when Andrei calls up. She seems normal, but then ends the show and has to step out. I think she's reporting to her master.

Grout: I always thought he was staked. I know he was BAMF Malkavian, but... I dunno, I just always assumed that the Kuei-Jin did actually manage to get him, either through disguise or just straight up Kuei-Jin fuckery.

The Friend: Got my theories, but gonna have to wait because it involves the endings.

The Voermans: Originally two, Jeanette died, gets repurposed into Therese's DID to shield her from the abuse. Then she gets Malk'd and it all goes to the nth degree.

The Sire: Now, see I always had a theory. What if the Sire we see at the beginning was a Patsy? If there was some other, bigger force that actually embraced you, and then arranged for some poor sucker who would fit the part to be caught and executed. Would nicely explain why the MC starts at a decent Generation, but why their sire got taken out like a chump.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Hattie Masters posted:

The Sire: Now, see I always had a theory. What if the Sire we see at the beginning was a Patsy? If there was some other, bigger force that actually embraced you, and then arranged for some poor sucker who would fit the part to be caught and executed. Would nicely explain why the MC starts at a decent Generation, but why their sire got taken out like a chump.

To be fair, anyone would go out like a chump if they got ambushed and staked.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

citybeatnik posted:

Still not sure who the Lone Wolf she mentioned is.

Yeah, it -could- be Beckett, but throughout the game he's either going 1) the box isn't anything big, don't sweat it or 2) acting out of character there in the end and going "NO DON'T OPEN IT!". Unless it's the fact that he doesn't give a poo poo about the petty political games going on, in which case yeah he's a pretty big solid.

I don't see how it could be anyone other than Beckett. He's not part of the Camarilla, Anarchs, Sabbat, or any other group and literally turns into a wolf.

When it comes to his change of heart regarding the sarcophagus I'm not sure still what would have caused that because going from being smugly dismissive of it to almost frantic is a pretty significant difference in attitude and I don't really have any solid ideas what could have gotten that kind of reaction from him. My very tentative theory ties into some ending stuff so I won't go into it but I can't think of anything else from the game that might have done it.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Traxus IV posted:

I don't see how it could be anyone other than Beckett. He's not part of the Camarilla, Anarchs, Sabbat, or any other group and literally turns into a wolf.

When it comes to his change of heart regarding the sarcophagus I'm not sure still what would have caused that because going from being smugly dismissive of it to almost frantic is a pretty significant difference in attitude and I don't really have any solid ideas what could have gotten that kind of reaction from him. My very tentative theory ties into some ending stuff so I won't go into it but I can't think of anything else from the game that might have done it.

Honestly, not going into spoiler territory, I would have to think somebody would have tipped him off to things not being right with it, or he just did research on what could "potentially" be in the sarcophagus and it scared the gently caress out of him so he's running for the hills

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

My vote is to side with Strauss

I think it puts Melissa in the best position as a Camarilla Ventrue. She may not become Prince immediately, but she clears her name and can work closely with Strauss who would probably only be a temporary Prince, and she has good relations (about as good as you can get for a Ventrue) with the Anarchs so she could probably keep the peace. The Anarchs even said they know breaking the Masquerade is stupid, so Melissa would probably just let them do their own thing and trust them not to cause much trouble. Pretty much all the other vampire factions (Gary and the Nosferatu, Hollywood Toreadors) have had fair dealings with Melissa and know she isn't someone to gently caress with so she would be in a good position to eventually become Prince.

As for the Mysteries:
Deb I think she is a Camarilla Ghoul

Grout I don't think he is dead. He seemed too powerful to let himself just get chumped with a stake. I don't know if he is communicating with the PC at all, but I definitely think he is alive.

The Friend I think its Jack based on what I know of the game endings. A lot of people think its not his style, but we don't really know what his style is other than what he has shown us. You don't survive as long as Jack has without knowing how to play people.

Voermans I think they were originally sisters and Therese killed Jeanette and their father and went crazy.

Sire I just don't believe its a coincidence that the PC is sired right before the whole mess with the sarcophagus. I don't know how exactly he did it, but again I think Jack somehow put everything in motion to have the PC sired, the sire killed during the trial, and have Nines save the PC. It gets a fresh new vampire close to Lacroix who can be easily manipulated due to ignorance of vampire society, all so Jack can achieve his endgame which I think is Getting all the kindred in LA to go crazy over some worthless Sarcophagus so he can have a laugh at all the chaos

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Anarchs - gently caress you, you'll never be able to run a state

Kuei-jin- gently caress you, you guys tried to have us killed like ten times.

LaCroix - gently caress you, you guys tried to have us killed like ten times.

Strauss - gently caress you, you did basically nothing the entire game.

Sabbat - gently caress you, you killed our Ghoul and she gave us armour upgrades.

What we're going to do is run this bitch, open that goddamn sarcophagus and nom on whatever AnteDiluvian motherfucker is in there. Then we become Queen of the World and fly away in a spaceship. F-2 Although I'm curious about what the hell the F-3 ending is meant to be.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Although I'm curious about what the hell the F-3 ending is meant to be.
It was foreshadowed a little while back, but until Tink showed it to me just recently I had no idea it even existed, and I’ve gone through this game about 5 times now. That’s how obscure and hard to unlock it is.

For my money, though, it is definitely one of the most satisfying conclusions, especially if you’ve gotten any of the others, and I feel delivers the “gently caress you” message especially effectively. :byewhore:

e: If we’d sided with the Sabbat at the Hotel, they wouldn’t have killed our ghoul. :v:

GrimRevenant fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 2, 2015

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Actually, on the subject of the player-character, how does one confirm a match between a vampire and the person they turn? Is it instinctual, is it an aura thing like with diablerie, or is their clan quirks the only clues?

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

tlarn posted:

Actually, on the subject of the player-character, how does one confirm a match between a vampire and the person they turn? Is it instinctual, is it an aura thing like with diablerie, or is their clan quirks the only clues?
That’s actually an interesting question. If you want forensic-level evidence, asking your local Tremere chantry is probably your best bet – one of them may have training in the Thaumaturgical Path of the Father’s Vengeance, which is “based loosely on a powerful thaumaturge’s interpretations of the Book of Nod [and] devotes itself to delivering justice to the race of Cainites.” In particular, the first-level power, Zillah’s Litany, “reveals existing blood bonds and Vinculi to the thaumaturge.… Although the caster may not know the vampires in question, this power does reveal the names and gives rough psychic impressions of the individuals in question.”

Or you could just, y’know, grab the whelp for violating the Tradition of Hospitality (and suspicion of violating the Traditon of Progeny) and sweat it outta ’em, with some gratuitous use of Dominate or Presence if necessary. If you really gotta, starving ’em a few nights and forcing a new blood-bond’s pretty much gonna induce ’em to spill all they know, and with no pesky debt to the drat blood mages. :mason:

GrimRevenant fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 2, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

GrimRevenant posted:

Or you could just, y’know, grab the whelp for violating the Tradition of Hospitality (and suspicion of violating the Traditon of Progeny) and sweat it outta ’em, with some gratuitous use of Dominate or Presence if necessary. If you really gotta, starving ’em a few nights and forcing a new blood-bond’s pretty much gonna induce ’em to spill all they know, and with no pesky debt to the drat blood mages. :mason:
What if they don't know their sire?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
That happens quite a bit, actually. Leaving a trail of clueless newly-embraced vampires is a great way to gently caress up the Masquerade, and a favourite tactic of both the Sabbat and Smiling Jack.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alright, 's been a few days since the last vote and a victor is emerging fairly well, so I'm calling it. Rough results are as follows:

#1 - Independent: A whole loving bunch
#2 - Strauss: About half as much as Independent
#3 - Anarchs: About half as much as Strauss
#4 - Sabbat: One
#5 - Kuei-jin/LaCroix: None (not even one for LaCroix? Man, I thought siding with him wasn't that stupid an idea... :smith:)

As for what we'll be doing with the sarcophagus...

Don't open it: More than Strauss
Open it: Less than Strauss

So as I expected and find very fitting, the choice that Melissa made is gently caress EVERYTHING.

My exact vote count goes as follows, but I might be off at some points, not sure, which is why "officially", the rough results count - so nobody can complain when I get one or two wrong:

code:
A - Anarchs:      IIIIIIIIIIII
B - Kuei-jin:     
C - LaCroix:      
D - Camarilla:    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
E - Sabbat:       I
F - Independent:  IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

F-1 - Don't Open: IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
F-2 - Open:       IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

TheMcD posted:

#5 - Kuei-jin/LaCroix: None (not even one for LaCroix? Man, I thought siding with him wasn't that stupid an idea... :smith:)

LaCroix is a scheming backstabber and he considers us a threat. Giving him possible ultimate power is only going to make that worse. The only idea worth entertaining is leading him on to betray him later, and I don't think there's an ending for that.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
What is this secret ending I've seen a couple folks mention? I've played through a few times so now I'm intrigued.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Heir03 posted:

What is this secret ending I've seen a couple folks mention? I've played through a few times so now I'm intrigued.

Suffice it to say I know about this and will be getting to it. That's all you should know.

However, you should be able to put the pieces together already - they're already there for you to figure out what the secret ending involves.

dancingbears posted:

LaCroix is a scheming backstabber and he considers us a threat. Giving him possible ultimate power is only going to make that worse. The only idea worth entertaining is leading him on to betray him later, and I don't think there's an ending for that.

It basically centers around the question "Is LaCroix insane/paranoid/stupid enough to still consider us a threat after we come back to him after he called a blood hunt on us and fulfill exactly everything he asks of us?". Personally, I don't think so. Of course, we still need to see the ending to really talk about it.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

TheMcD posted:

"Is LaCroix insane/paranoid/stupid enough to still consider us a threat after we come back to him after he called a blood hunt on us and fulfill exactly everything he asks of us?"

Melissa took out a werewolf in a burning forest. We've proven that we are outside his power to control if we ever say "no" to him, and that would not be acceptable to someone as self-centered as LaCroix.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
WESP allows us to save Heather from the Sabbat by joining Andrei beforehand? McD, please let us see this branch, unless that's the only way to join. It'll be gold either way. But I've been getting the impression you can join after the hotel assault too. Are there one or two chances to join the Sabbat?

Heir03 posted:

It is forbidden knowledge neonate and you must not seek it. The Powers That Be probated me in this very thread for posting it. :tinfoil: of course that might've been because I linked it halfway through the game but whatever DAD

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 5, 2015

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

DeusExMachinima posted:

WESP allows us to save Heather from the Sabbat by joining Andrei beforehand? McD, please let us see this branch, unless that's the only way to join. It'll be gold either way. But I've been getting the impression you can join after the hotel assault too. Are there one or two chances to join the Sabbat?

Actually, WESP allows you to save Heather period. If you don't join the Sabbat, you can just tell her to remain indoors and not leave at some point. You don't get the body armor, but you do get to keep your ghoul.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

DeusExMachinima posted:

As mauman said, you can also save Heather by just going "stay the gently caress inside" whenever the option pops up. You don't get the body armor, but you keep her. And she's broken in my game, making her entirely useless. But even if she wasn't broken, it wouldn't make any difference - it's not like WESP can add new dialogue or the like - and when he does, we get the stuff from the Sabbat ending, which we'll get to.

And AFAIK you can only join before the hotel assault, since, y'know, you loving kill the guy you side with during that. Without Andrei, things get kind of rough for the Sabbat.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

TheMcD posted:

And AFAIK you can only join before the hotel assault, since, y'know, you loving kill the guy you side with during that. Without Andrei, things get kind of rough for the Sabbat.

Ah, Ok. That makes sense. I don't know why I got the impression otherwise. :)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Feel like letting you save Heather misses the entire point of the character: Ghouling isn't lovey-dovey happy relationships, it's a relationship between an addict and their dealer

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Robindaybird posted:

Feel like letting you save Heather misses the entire point of the character: Ghouling isn't lovey-dovey happy relationships, it's a relationship between an addict and their dealer

Hey now, let's not generalize. Sometimes it's a relationship between a mad scientist and his horribly mutated test subject(s).

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

Or, very, very rarely, the vampire is one of the ones that can't form blood bonds, and thus has the slightest hope of having a semi-normal living friend in the world, long term. Even then, there's a painfully long list of difficulties.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

It's even worse than that. Ghouling a mortal instills a blood bond, which forms a one-way emotional bond between the ghoul and domitor. Imagine the first time that you were passionately in love with another person, a ghoul is even more passionately in love with and devoted to the vampire who blood-bonded them. It's a beyond hosed-up abusive relationship that couples genuine emotional dependence with a super-sized heroin addiction. Played right, it's easily one of the most horrifying things about the WoD.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's even worse than that. Ghouling a mortal instills a blood bond, which forms a one-way emotional bond between the ghoul and domitor. Imagine the first time that you were passionately in love with another person, a ghoul is even more passionately in love with and devoted to the vampire who blood-bonded them. It's a beyond hosed-up abusive relationship that couples genuine emotional dependence with a super-sized heroin addiction. Played right, it's easily one of the most horrifying things about the WoD.

How does this work with Mercurio?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
F1: gently caress this shithole.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

JT Jag posted:

F1: gently caress this shithole.

Well, I already called the vote, but you'll be glad to hear that F-1 was the one that won.

I also already recorded the footage for the first part of it. Turns out that yes, buffing the gently caress out of defense does make these end sections a lot less painful. Doesn't stop the boss from being a seriously tough bastard, though.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

chippocrates posted:

Depends. If a ghoul doesn't know who his bond is with, they can kinda pine absently but the obsession is more diffuse. He's on LaCroix's "payroll" which could mean the prince is either providing his blood directly or arranging for a fix. In either case, he gets his blood "from LaCroix" so his loyalty there is fairly assured. Ghouls are usually well aware what the price is of running out of blood (fast aging and/or death), so once they're a decade or more in they probably won't rock the boat on their own volition. Hence why Mercurio was more than happy to repay his debt, but he won't take any action outside of that.

Another interesting quirk: if a ghoul forms a blood bond with a vamp (by drinking 3 times on separate nights) like anyone else they're effectively immune to future bonds so long as the bondholder exists. Means that they could be "lent out" or contracted by other vamps and their loyalty to their primary domitor is still assured, though they'd have to be really useful assets for most vamps to take on the risk/responsibility.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

chippocrates posted:

Understanding his situation probably helps Mercurio put things in perspective, but LaCroix and doing helpful things for LaCroix are never far from his thoughts. The guy will sweat and bleed for LaCroix on request, and treasures words of praise from him like a soldier treasures a medal for bravery.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So he'll be really sad and likely crumble down to dust after we stab Lacroix? :(

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Poil posted:

So he'll be really sad and likely crumble down to dust after we stab Lacroix? :(

Unless he can find more blood, Mercurio will age up to his natural age when all of the vampire blood is burned out of his system. Assuming that he doesn't use any of it for other stuff, it burns out naturally at the rate of one point per month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Poil posted:

Well, since the primary domitor no longer exists, I would presume we could "adopt" him, if he so wishes. He probably wouldn't die, he's only sixty AFAIK.

• Locked thread