Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

pointlessone posted:

How often should you need to do that, and does it have any effects on maple fretboards? The tele isn't nearly as bad as the others, but I've heard you're not supposed to use oils on maple.

Once a year max. I have no idea about maple, all my boards are ebony or rosewood. This is the stuff I use:
http://www.musicnomadcare.com/f-one.html
One bottle should cover you for the next decade.

EDIT: you could also try a humidified case. It's not a big issue any way you slice it, it's pretty common in the winter.

Gilgameshback fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Professor Science posted:

also, cause nobody else said it: that Alembic w/EMGs video is the most dad video on all of youtube.

Somehow I knew without even playing it was gonna be a lovely version of Riviera Paradise.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Is there anywhere to buy a gold anodized pickguard and not pay outrageous Fender prices?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

HollisBrown posted:

Is there anywhere to buy a gold anodized pickguard and not pay outrageous Fender prices?

I've looked around and the Fenders seem like the best bet honestly. They are pricy but well made. I saw some knockoff ones at a local shop and they looked pretty awful.

Good on you for wanting one. They're the best. I love the one on my jazzmaster.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

pointlessone posted:

How often should you need to do that, and does it have any effects on maple fretboards? The tele isn't nearly as bad as the others, but I've heard you're not supposed to use oils on maple.

It's not going to do anything helpful or harmful to a maple board because maple boards typically have a clear finish applied to them

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

HollisBrown posted:

I got an allparts one on eBay, and I've been pretty pleased with it. My Sonic Blue Jazzmaster is wonderfully, subtly gaudy.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Anyone got any cool 8 string non metal videos?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Southern Heel posted:

Anyone got any cool 8 string non metal videos?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tosin+abasi

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
With time off from work, I'm finally able to get to some guitar projects, including shimming my bolt-on Epiphone SG. The action is lowered and now it plays like a dream... oh God, what have I done to my beloved cheesegrater? I already miss the ridiculous string tension, but I suppose I can get used to this "playable guitar" thing.

No, what's actually a problem is that now the strings are sitting at the height a sane person would want from the pickup. But I am no sane person! The crazy high output was one of the things that I loved about this guitar in the first place. Guess that means new pickup time!

Goons, what should I be looking for? This guitar pairs with my mid-90s Les Paul Studio, which came stock with crazy hot pickups, so ideally it would be something comparable output-wise in case I need to switch out midset. But I also want to keep it single-coil 'cause that's what this guitar is for. My P-90s holy grails are the first two Sabbath albums and Kurt Bloch in the Fastbacks. Ideally, I'll be taking it into the studio with my LP to record my punk band in March.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Lollar overwound P90s are 9.45kohm in the bridge, that might be worth a try, or a Duncan SP90-02.

Those are the hottest P90s I know of without going into custom boutique nonsense territory.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
y'all I just ordered tv jones magnatron for the bridge off jazzmaster, good idea or great idea? tia

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jwh posted:

Lollar overwound P90s are 9.45kohm in the bridge, that might be worth a try, or a Duncan SP90-02.

Those are the hottest P90s I know of without going into custom boutique nonsense territory.

I figured Duncan would be the most likely go-to, but I thought I'd ask around. Lollars are worth investigating though - but my goal is to keep any individual part less than/equal to the cost of the guitar ($99).

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I think I'd like to start shopping for a good baritone guitar. Is there anything I really need to know about playing a bari as opposed to a standard 6 string? And what are some good options that are in the market right now? I'm hoping for something sub-$500.

I was originally looking at the Squier Baritone VM Jazzmaster, but man they must be marketing this thing kind of strangely in the states. Musician's Friend seems to be the only major online retailer that carries it, and when I asked a couple of local shops, they had never heard that Squier was doing a baritone. Am I just looking in the wrong places or something?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

They're very rare, strangely enough, and I suspect that they may end up as a fairly limited run unless they start shipping more out in the next 12 months. It's baffling considering Fender/Squier has conjured a strong group of followers for the CV/VM line in the last few years. You would think they could see a big niche seller in those. Truthfully if Sweetwater was carrying them I think I might already own one. I don't trust most places to ship a case less guitar and Sweetwater setups are always great. That said, Amazon does have them and I've bought two guitars from there and they came in perfect shape.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/search.php?search_query=baritone

Eastwood does some nice baritones.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

They're very rare, strangely enough, and I suspect that they may end up as a fairly limited run unless they start shipping more out in the next 12 months. It's baffling considering Fender/Squier has conjured a strong group of followers for the CV/VM line in the last few years. You would think they could see a big niche seller in those. Truthfully if Sweetwater was carrying them I think I might already own one. I don't trust most places to ship a case less guitar and Sweetwater setups are always great. That said, Amazon does have them and I've bought two guitars from there and they came in perfect shape.

Oddly enough, when I searched for them on guitarcenter.com last night, they didn't appear. Suddenly today they're available. I put in an email to my Sweetwater guy, so hopefully he'll be able to tell me whether they'll carry them. Do just this one thing for me, Sweetwater. I've spent enough money in the past two years, I deserve it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I emailed mine as well about them so we'll see. I didn't realize it before but I'm ready to own one. The price is silly low and as long as the neck feels good it's going to be a long term keeper for me and maybe a good guitar to upgrade and turn into something unique.

e: unique = sludgy bellowing twangy noise maker

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I emailed mine as well about them so we'll see. I didn't realize it before but I'm ready to own one. The price is silly low and as long as the neck feels good it's going to be a long term keeper for me and maybe a good guitar to upgrade and turn into something unique.

e: unique = sludgy bellowing twangy noise maker

I've wanted a baritone since I was an angsty teen listening to Staind, and I kind of gave up on finding one for many years. But seeing the video someone posted earlier of this one, I had feelings.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dammit CME, why you send me a 15% off anything coupon when you know I'm all vulnerable and poo poo.

Welp :shepspends:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Warcabbit posted:

Hm. Squier Baritone Vintage Modified Jazzmaster. In Antiqua.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh_Z-xREV-I

Hardtail. Interesting.

That was me! I get a point!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

That was me! I get a point!

No, you get my undying rage for having to sell things so I can afford it. Seriously, though, I'm glad I popped in this thread when I did-- I get the feeling this guitar might kind of come and go without much fanfare.

An update from Sweetwater: the word I got from an employee (not my usual sales rep) is that they have no record of the guitar on their model list from Fender, so he assumes either they will get it in after NAMM when the line "refreshes," or they won't get it in at all. He initially thought it was a GC exclusive, so I assume they probably won't get it. Which is weird, because Musician's Friend, GC, Sam Ash, and Amazon all list it on their sites now. Also I had no luck tracking one down locally, including from a Fender dealer, who seemed skeptical that he'd sell many.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My guy said it looks like they're never getting them in. Oh well. I might wait for a good MF coupon and order one that way. The long neck worries me with shipping but it is what it is.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm looking to get back into learning to play guitar after a few years off (moved to Europe from the US, sold my Epiphone LP Special II years ago). Is Rondo still the go-to cheapy brand that goons recommend, especially if I plan on just plugging it into Rocksmith or using it to learn on a cheap amp? Does anyone know if they ship to Europe, or if there is a European equivalent in terms of price and quality? If Rondo's still good, is there a specific model to get?

Edit: heh, apparently shipping one of Rondo's Hadean guitars + a cheapo little Sprite amp to Germany costs $40 more than the actual goods themselves.

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 1, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Well there we go. 15% off over 200 on Musicians Friend. Makes the baritone right under 300 if anyone's interested!

e: looks like squier is excluded :(

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 1, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Well there we go. 15% off over 200 on Musicians Friend. Makes the baritone right under 300 if anyone's interested!

Aaauuughhh I need to stay out of the forums if I ever want to keep my savings intact.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Drone posted:

I'm looking to get back into learning to play guitar after a few years off (moved to Europe from the US, sold my Epiphone LP Special II years ago). Is Rondo still the go-to cheapy brand that goons recommend, especially if I plan on just plugging it into Rocksmith or using it to learn on a cheap amp? Does anyone know if they ship to Europe, or if there is a European equivalent in terms of price and quality? If Rondo's still good, is there a specific model to get?

Edit: heh, apparently shipping one of Rondo's Hadean guitars + a cheapo little Sprite amp to Germany costs $40 more than the actual goods themselves.

Mainland Europe try Thomann.de and compare their Harley Benton range to full price. The £30 vintage overdrive pedal competes well with full on Ibanez Tubescreamers and their diy kits are the best around if you have basic woodworking skills.

UK you have loads of stores with big sales right now, Andertons, GAK, and GuitarGuitar for examples.

Rondo you have to pay shipping and most guitars want a mandatory hardcase too so not worth it for the UK/EU.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Verizian posted:

Mainland Europe try Thomann.de and compare their Harley Benton range to full price. The £30 vintage overdrive pedal competes well with full on Ibanez Tubescreamers and their diy kits are the best around if you have basic woodworking skills.

UK you have loads of stores with big sales right now, Andertons, GAK, and GuitarGuitar for examples.

Rondo you have to pay shipping and most guitars want a mandatory hardcase too so not worth it for the UK/EU.

I have one of the Thomann telecasters. The TE-80. It's super well made for a 90-100£ guitar.
There's some lemons in the Harley Benton brand though, so it's worth your time to google for some reviews before you buy one.
e: but generally the brand is amazing value-for-money.

Pondex fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 1, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pondex posted:

I have one of the Thomann telecasters. The TE-80. It's super well made for a 90-100£ guitar.
There's some lemons in the Harley Benton brand though, so it's worth your time to google for some reviews before you buy one.
e: but generally the brand is amazing value-for-money.

I thought about just spending the extra 20 Euro and getting another Epiphone LP Special II like the one I used to have back in the States (it's just a tad more expensive than the Thomann TE-80 you mentioned). I really quite liked playing it, it was comfortable and I enjoyed the sound for a lower-priced beginner guitar.

Edit: comparing these two bundles. They're roughly the same price, and it seems a fairly decent start. Similar to the setup I bought for myself back in the US way back when (though I got a much more expensive amp)

Harley Benton TE-80 Bundle
Epiphone Slash AFD LP Performance Pack

I'd probably jump on that second one if it were the EB color and not the AFD, but details.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 1, 2015

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Drone posted:

I thought about just spending the extra 20 Euro and getting another Epiphone LP Special II like the one I used to have back in the States (it's just a tad more expensive than the Thomann TE-80 you mentioned). I really quite liked playing it, it was comfortable and I enjoyed the sound for a lower-priced beginner guitar.

Edit: comparing these two bundles. They're roughly the same price, and it seems a fairly decent start. Similar to the setup I bought for myself back in the US way back when (though I got a much more expensive amp)

Harley Benton TE-80 Bundle
Epiphone Slash AFD LP Performance Pack

I'd probably jump on that second one if it were the EB color and not the AFD, but details.

Like I said, the TE-80 is very good for the money. Only downside Imho is that it's heavy. Like, Les Paul-heavy. But they have a lot of different guitars (even if you only look at their TE-series). So there's bound to be something you can use.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Actually, Thomann isn't even a bad idea for people in the US looking for something unusual. I remember people were buying a Harley Benton Tele that was a replica of Prince's and the shipping was surprisingly reasonable.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Kilometers Davis posted:

e: looks like squier is excluded :(

Nine times out of 10, if you call up MF they will accept the coupon. Their deal with the major brands say they aren't allowed to include them in store wide coupons/sales. But its an open secret that that is just for legal purposes and minimum pricing. If you really want the guitar. Give them a call. They want your money and will do what they can to get it.

Just be warned this might have a negative impact on your bank account. Double edged sword.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

TopherCStone posted:

Actually, Thomann isn't even a bad idea for people in the US looking for something unusual. I remember people were buying a Harley Benton Tele that was a replica of Prince's and the shipping was surprisingly reasonable.

Yeah, that's the TE-80. They went a little nuts about it on the telecaster forums for a while. :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I should've called but I ended up going on guitarcenter.com and buying the baritone and a T2 reverb. Pretty drat excited to get my hands on that huge beast and let you guys know how it goes. Oh, guitars.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Fender is really fendering as hard as they possibly can with these things. I swear, the weird poo poo that's been popping up...

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Warcabbit posted:

Fender is really fendering as hard as they possibly can with these things. I swear, the weird poo poo that's been popping up...

What exactly does fendering entail? Sounds cool.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Pondex posted:

They keep making lots of cool and weird inexpensive guitars I would guess.

I just got a Squire Jaguar, and now I'm daydreaming about a Starcaster :allears:

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Pondex posted:

Antiqua, always antiqua!

(I kinda want to sell my VMJM for that bari JM)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Ever since I read that antigua finish was because of some wood shaping fuckup that burnt the bodies I can't help but see that in there, and it turns me well off.

I think I may have gone full retard; petitioned for Jim Root Head + 1x12 or that Yamaha Classic spruce for my 30th birthday present. We'll see - 7 days to go.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Antigua finish is the best possible finish.

I have a strat in it, and I still want to get the matching Tele that they put out around the same time.

I wish they would do more models in that finish. Like a Starcaster would look amazing, or a jaguar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Antigua is super ugly, sorry guys