Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

The F-14 had a fundamentally solid airframe design unlike the F35

The airframe was solid, it was everything else that was on the plane that stunk. Especially the engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PupsOfWar posted:

whatever happened to McDonnell-Douglass and Fairchild-Republic, anyway?

It is probably bad to allow such a small number of companies to have a lock on aeroplane appropriations. We're pretty much down to Lockheed-Martin, Northrop-Grumman and Boeing, right?

Cutting-edge aerospace technology development is very expensive. Hell, developing the 747 nearly bankrupted Boeing, and that was 'merely' a big subsonic airliner.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Party Plane Jones posted:

The airframe was solid, it was everything else that was on the plane that stunk. Especially the engines.

I thought they had initial early issues with the swinging wing.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Authorman posted:

Except that it is so expensive and filled with 'exclusive' technology that it would never be risked in non-permissive airspace and definitely not in roles currently reserved for the A-10, not unless they want a repeat of the F117 shootdown in Serbia. So unless we are talking about a hypothetical Tom Clancy's World War 3 where massively expensive manned aircraft would disappear faster than cavalry charges did in World War 1 anyway, the F-35 would only be a show pony brought out to bomb people who would have no means to fight back.
There are no roles currently reserved for the A-10. The criteria to conduct CAS in TYOOL 2014 are, "can your plane carry a sensor pod and at least one PGM, Y/N?" Which is why we currently have B-1Bs, an expensive aircraft filled with 'exclusive' technology, hooning around Afghanistan and Iraq dropping bombs. I assume our plan to avoid a repeat of the F-117 shootdown is to not use the bad tactics that lead to it. You are making broad, sweeping, unsupportable statements. What is your basis for deciding that the F-35 would never be used in contested airspace? 

etalian posted:

The F-14 had a fundamentally solid airframe design unlike the F35
How soon they forget...
F-14A first flight - Dec. 21, 1970
F-14A first total hydraulic failure - Dec. 30, 1970
F-14A first hull loss mishap - Dec. 30, 1970

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lote posted:

I thought they had initial early issues with the swinging wing.

The swing wing was fine, just a maintenance dog; between that and the outdated avionics you reached that 50 hours repair for every flight hour ratio that got it retired. Taking 20 years to finally get engines that wouldn't fail and kill pilots didn't help either.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sorry I watched Top Gun and you guys are all wrong about the F-14.

It's only fault was turning pilots gay and killing Goose.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

whatever happened to McDonnell-Douglass and Fairchild-Republic, anyway?

It is probably bad to allow such a small number of companies to have a lock on aeroplane appropriations. We're pretty much down to Lockheed-Martin, Northrop-Grumman and Boeing, right?

The earlier answer to this question (Boeing, Elbit etc) but you can infer their fate from those names really, McDonnell, Douglass, Fairchild and Republic all used to make their own planes - but each generation is more expensive to develop for than the last, so these mergers happen until there's only 2 big developers left (and even then there's not enough money/projects to go around). Sure the end of the cold war accelerated that process, but it was still going to happen.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

The swing wing was fine, just a maintenance dog; between that and the outdated avionics you reached that 50 hours repair for every flight hour ratio that got it retired. Taking 20 years to finally get engines that wouldn't fail and kill pilots didn't help either.

Variable geometry is also heavy.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Rand alPaul posted:

I'm sorry I watched Top Gun and you guys are all wrong about the F-14.

It's only fault was turning pilots gay

it's a feature, not a bug

quote:

and killing Goose.

much like judas' betrayal was necessary for the story of christ, goose had to die. feature :colbert:

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
New U.S. Stealth Jet Can’t Fire Its Gun Until 2019

America’s $400 billion Joint Strike Fighter, or F-35, is slated to join fighter squadrons next year—but missing software will render its 25mm cannon useless.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

America’s $400 billion Joint Strike Fighter, or F-35, is slated to join fighter squadrons next year—but missing software will render its 25mm cannon useless.

In the meantime, the designers will probably add some multi-billion dollar feature of dubious utility to take advantage of the weight savings made by not loading the ammunition. Come 2019, technicians will try loading the ammo and be scratching their heads as to why the plane won't take off.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
Sounds like a good trade off to me. When that happens they can even go back and remove the gun itself.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Niedar posted:

Sounds like a good trade off to me. When that happens they can even go back and remove the gun itself.

Are you a RAF officer?

quote:

In 2001, it was announced that the Royal Air Force (RAF) would not use the aircraft's internal 27 mm Mauser cannon. This was due to a desire to save money by removing gun support costs, ammunition stocks, training costs, etc. The gun was also deemed unnecessary since the missile armament was believed to be adequate in the Typhoon's fighter role. However, because removal of the cannon would affect the aircraft's flight characteristics, requiring modification of the aircraft's flight software the RAF decided that all of its Typhoons would be fitted with the cannon but that it would not be used or supported. The service argued that this would save money by reducing the requirement for ground equipment, removing training costs and avoiding the fatigue effects of firing the cannon. The RAF maintained the option to activate the cannons at very short notice were operational requirements to change.[14] However in a third change of policy, the Daily Telegraph reported on 3 October 2006 that the RAF will fully utilise the cannon.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Niedar posted:

Only the USAF F-35A has the internal gun, the Marine F-35B and Navy F-35C all would mount a gun pod.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Note that 2019 is the estimated release year for said software.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Note that 2019 is the estimated release year for said software.

Maybe Blizzard should sue Lockmart for stealing their release schedule strategy?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The best bit is that the F-35 only carries 180 rounds for a gun that fires 3300 rounds a minute. The design is so terrible that literally not being to fire its gun makes it only slightly more useless.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm sorry but can someone explain to why the US, the country with the largest and most expensive fleet of floating airports ever seen to mankind, needs a new generation of airplanes with vertical launch capabilities? :psyduck:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Xoidanor posted:

I'm sorry but can someone explain to why the US, the country with the largest and most expensive fleet of floating airports ever seen to mankind, needs a new generation of airplanes with vertical launch capabilities? :psyduck:

The marines still think they're relevant

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if some F-35's get shitkicked by some 3rd generation Mirages or MiGs from some third-world shithole one day.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Morrow posted:

The best bit is that the F-35 only carries 180 rounds for a gun that fires 3300 rounds a minute. The design is so terrible that literally not being to fire its gun makes it only slightly more useless.

Here's the thing, that's really not any different than any other plane out there today. The F15 is an outlier with nearly a thousand rounds, everything made recently has half that or less. The F-22 having as much as it does is probably the result of the development program stemming way back into the 80s.

Hell, the last guns kill for the U.S. was all the way back in 1972. I don't think anybody outside Eritreans have had one since, and that war was 15 years ago.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

El Scotch posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if some F-35's get shitkicked by some 3rd generation Mirages or MiGs from some third-world shithole one day.

It's a bad plane yes but that doesn't mean really old bad planes suddenly become good against it. It's bad in a special way where by if anyone else spent money making a good plane then America would be hosed. Instead it has Russia making the PAK-FA: a plane that runs entirely on hype and they likely can't afford to actually use them. And China with it's array of likely stolen and modified designs which offer nothing new and seem to be nothing more than appeals to national pride: we made our own 5th generation fighter... sort of? No one knows anything about them or their performance. I would be very surprised if they are actually better than the F-35.

Bottom line is the F-35 sucks but only America is still the only superpower with the resulting superpower military budget. No one else in the world is going to be running anything better so why should they care?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Xoidanor posted:

The Marines really like the idea of operating off amphibs.

El Scotch posted:

Don't worry about that. They'll all be turned into confetti by TLAMs an hour into the war and their runways will be cratered by B2s before Super Hornets and Strike Eagles smash everything that's left. Then the F-35s will go in and fly CAP.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The Marines really like the idea of operating off amphibs.

Yeah the Marines are obsessed with their own knockoff navy which includes baby aircraft carriers.

The F-35 got the SVTOL requirement since the marines wanted a replacement for the very bad Harrier jet.

It's the SVTOL requirment more than anything else which poisoned the resulting airframe since it meant small wings, single engine and also bad pilot visibility especially at 6 o clock location.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Here's the thing, that's really not any different than any other plane out there today. The F15 is an outlier with nearly a thousand rounds, everything made recently has half that or less. The F-22 having as much as it does is probably the result of the development program stemming way back into the 80s.

Hell, the last guns kill for the U.S. was all the way back in 1972. I don't think anybody outside Eritreans have had one since, and that war was 15 years ago.

And when was the last gun run in support of ground forces? Its probably been within the last week. Bombs are great and all but guns are far more precise and won't kill your own troops in close contact.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

And when was the last gun run in support of ground forces? Its probably been within the last week. Bombs are great and all but guns are far more precise and won't kill your own troops in close contact.
Where are you getting that from? Bombs and missiles are pretty goddamn accurate these days. Way more accurate and effective than some yahoo swinging in at mach with a two seconds of 20mm fire and then getting wasted by a DShK on a Toyota.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 1, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Where are you getting that from? Bombs and missiles are pretty goddamn accurate these days. Way more accurate and effective than some yahoo swinging in at mach with a half second of 20mm fire and get wasted by a DShK on a Toyota.

Precision != accuracy.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Precision != accuracy.
What's your point?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Where are you getting that from? Bombs and missiles are pretty goddamn accurate these days. Way more accurate and effective than some yahoo swinging in at mach with a two seconds of 20mm fire and then getting wasted by a DShK on a Toyota.

Nope sometimes there's a danger close condition in which bombs or missiles have too big of a blast radius.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

What's your point?

"Danger close" range for a bomb is much larger than that for a gun. This is an article about it intended for infantry.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

"Danger close" range for a bomb is much larger than that for a gun. This is an article about it intended for infantry.
Considering the Air Force's ability to shoot Canadians/Brits I think the danger close range for their guns is probably more of a theater level issue.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Considering the Air Force's ability to shoot Canadians/Brits I think the danger close range for their guns is probably more of a theater level issue.

They also have JTACs giving their own location instead of the enemy's for GPS guided weapons because they don't know how to work their GPS receivers so its probably a wash.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

etalian posted:

Yeah the Marines are obsessed with their own knockoff navy which includes baby aircraft carriers.

I think it's an identity thing - those carriers are what keeps them from just being our most narcissistic mechanized infantry force.

They've really got a complex about being the Navy's army.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh my god this article is so good. I love how badly the author tries to put some balanced spin but simply cannot.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Instead it has Russia making the PAK-FA: a plane that runs entirely on hype
Yeah, but when they roll a hype truck onto the tarmac, at least they don't need to worry about what color it is.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Xoidanor posted:

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

The marines still think they're relevant

etalian posted:

The F-35 got the SVTOL requirement since the marines wanted a replacement for the very bad Harrier jet.

It's the SVTOL requirment more than anything else which poisoned the resulting airframe since it meant small wings, single engine and also bad pilot visibility especially at 6 o clock location.
Literally this, combined with the fact that defense spending is the only type of spending that Congress will agree to, because the general public likes the "keeping us safe" line, and the F35 has parts from so many places that tons of congresscritters gets a piece of the pie. THe F35 is really inefficient pork barrel spending, basically.

Actual answer to your question: We don't, at all. The US is not going to be getting into a shooting match with anything that we would need an F35 for, because the US is not going to start a hot war with any European nations or Russia or China or Iran.

We also don't need the F35 for any current conflicts, because our current crop of air vehicles (A10s, F15s, F16s, F22s, etc as well as various drones) are all more than adequate for the shooting matches we are involved in, namely airstrikes on ISIL positions in the Middle East.

Like, we're so good that airstrikes that the number ISIL fighters we've killed with airstrikes is more than 1100 in Syria alone at current count, and ISIL fighters don't want to go to fight in Kobani anymore due to all the US airstrikes there.

I'm not even getting into all the problems with the F35, I'm just showing why it's pointless period.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 2, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Bombs don't kill US troops though. (they kill Canadians :canada:)

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

No, gun-runs against ground forces are actually extremely common.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
How many rounds does the A-10 have? I can't find it online, just tells me how much that gun shoots per minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

1150. Prefix DCS to A-10 related questions and you'll get answers from sim spergs.

• Locked thread