Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Which is why they're often in protected areas if they're in a university library at all. It was nice when I got to take a look at them, though-- the info is presented in a very crisp and concise manner, noting when the person existed (birth and death provided if possible, floruit if not) which made it possible to jot down all the notes I needed in a single afternoon when I managed to take a gander at them. Lost the notes since then, but yeah, if you have access to a university library, they're worth seeing if you can read them for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Indecisive posted:

Sorry it's been gone over before but the OP is mega dated and I didn't want to go through 4k posts since I checked the thread last.

I asked this a while ago and got this helpful response:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This comes up a lot. My personal list of Major DLC Desirability, from most to least:

The Old Gods: Vikings! Earlier start date! Playing as Pagans! This DLC vastly expands the base game.
Legacy of Rome: the Byzantine stuff is neat, I guess, but the real reason you want this DLC is for Retinues, small standing armies that you can produce so you aren't (as) dependent on your levies.
The Republic: Merchant Republics are awesome. Getting to play as them is even awesomer. Again, this is an expansion that delivers a mass of new content as an entirely new playstyle becomes available.
Sword of Islam: Playable Muslims! You get More Playable Options, which I tend to value heavily.
Charlemagne: The super-early start date and tribal mechanics are fun, but sometimes it feels like this expansion's fun aspects are outweighed by the punitive ones (Elective Gavelkind, I'm looking at you). Still worth it for custom titles and viceroyalties.
Sons of Abraham: Fleshes out gameplay, provides more options, but is largely a 'nice add-on' rather than a real heavy duty expansion.
Way of Life: See above. Though this may move up some spots as I keep playing.
Rajas of India: I desperately want to like this DLC more than I do. Sadly, India ends up being rather insular in my experience; it feels almost like it might have been better served as a standalone game.
Sunset Invasion: I love this DLC, but it's very much a "fun addition" instead of a "major expansion." Just by virtue of how it makes the western half of the map experience some of the crap that the east has to deal with makes it a fun little bonus, though.

Old Gods and the Republic are, imo, the two big gameplay ones that I would recommend above all the others. Old Gods gives you an earlier start date, raiding mechanics, and vikings. Republic lets you play as merchant republics which are a pretty different experience than the usual feudal system and is really fun (though your mileage will vary of course). Other than that I'd agree with the post I quoted in terms of how much useful/fun stuff each DLC adds.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Ofaloaf, is there a list anywhere of what religions and cultures you used as the basis for stuff in After the End? I'm curious why this dude in jersey who seems to share my culture and religion (and hes my nephew at this point I think so...) can apparently call prepared invasions and I cannot. I only noticed it when I was going through vassals and planning on what to do about ye olde confederate empire and thought about trying to do an invasion since I never tried before!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Is there a way to stop a faction from trying to impose Seniority inheritance rule?

Seniority specifically requires Crown Authority 0 or 1, so bumping up to level 2 (medium) will prevent it. The higher authority the fewer possible factions, although you'll have a higher relations penalty which can make your vassals more likely to join the few factions that do exist.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

When the price tag reaches the triple-digits, you know that it's history with the kiddie gloves off.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Elective Gavelkind sucks rear end. Playing as Ivar the Bonless I easily conquered Scotland, most of Ireland and Jorvik. Then when I´m laying the finishing touched on conquering Ireland I get killed in battle and Ireland is automatically formed and given to one of my sons. However since he also inherited a temple it becomes a theocracy. I manage to conquer it back quite easily after I'm done stabilizing the realm but it was really annoying. I also had to convert to Catholicism due to a the Anglo-Saxon petty kings calling a holy wars at the worst possible time and a bunch of my vassals converting and being all pissy that I didn't as well. I mean becoming feudal and a bit stable is nice and all but this has really slowed down the conquest. It'll probably take a few centuries to form the empire now but I'll get there eventually. I'm considering becoming Scottish.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

VDay posted:

I asked this a while ago and got this helpful response:

Old Gods and the Republic are, imo, the two big gameplay ones that I would recommend above all the others. Old Gods gives you an earlier start date, raiding mechanics, and vikings. Republic lets you play as merchant republics which are a pretty different experience than the usual feudal system and is really fun (though your mileage will vary of course). Other than that I'd agree with the post I quoted in terms of how much useful/fun stuff each DLC adds.

Good lord. I love playing republics but it's probably one of the last DLCs you want to get.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

At the moment, for a brand new player, I'd recommend LoR, SoA, Charlemagne and WoL over any other DLCs just because of what they add to the vanilla experience.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

When the price tag reaches the triple-digits, you know that it's history with the kiddie gloves off.

Agreed.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Odobenidae posted:

When The World Stopped Making Sense - Trip Report:
Did you do with the levy bug still active? if not what you do to fix it?

Node posted:

Stop playing lovely mods, guys.
No way, this poo poo is hilarious.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Republics own, and it's probably second to old gods to me. But it's basically mandatory that you have Legacy of Rome with it, because a republic without retinues would not be fun. I still haven't gotten way of life, but I imagine that will be up there as well.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

At the moment, for a brand new player, I'd recommend LoR, SoA, Charlemagne and WoL over any other DLCs just because of what they add to the vanilla experience.

Also helpful: CK2 is regularly a Steam Daily Deal or (equivalent in other games service) so just be patient and you can get the whole lot for 75% off.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sons of Abraham gives you the ability to borrow 300 gold from the Jews as a decision, which is fantastically useful. But the cardinal system is dumb and continues to be dumb and useless, because for whatever reason the Papacy just inspires Paradox to create game systems that are confusing, hard to influence, and of extremely dubious value.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
p sure you can only borrow jew gold if you're catholic though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
also who cares about the system. vassal popes own.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Volkerball posted:

p sure you can only borrow jew gold if you're catholic though.

Nope. Muslims and Zoroastrians can too.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
So can Orthodox.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm mildly annoyed that pagans can't borrow jew gold, but they have alternative revenue streams.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

All Abrahamic faiths can, at the very least. I've never played Zoro, so I can't speak for that.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DStecks posted:

for whatever reason the Papacy just inspires Paradox to create game systems that are confusing, hard to influence, and of extremely dubious value.

I dunno, that sounds a lot like the medieval Papacy to me!

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Indecisive posted:

Hey dudes, got the game as a gift a while back and had some fun with it, thinking about finally dropping some bucks on DLC for this game but holy fucks is there too much of it. What are considered the 'must-haves'? I know most of it is junk like useless unit model replacements and BGM and poo poo but which major expansions are important and which aren't? Like Legacy of Rome lists factions as a feature but was that rolled into the base game as well? Are Sword of Islam / The Republic needed if you aren't playing one of those factions? Old Gods seems important (I'll probably want to play a viking anyway at some point). Sons of Abraham / Rajas of India / Charlemagne seem skippable, and Way of Life seems cool.

Sorry it's been gone over before but the OP is mega dated and I didn't want to go through 4k posts since I checked the thread last.

There's only three DLCs that add new mechanics and things to almost all games, those are Legacy of Rome, Sons of Abraham, and the brand new one Way Of Life, which should HOPEFULLY be patched within a week. If I was only going to get some DLC, I'd probably start with those three.

Ones that unlock new playable groups and startdates, but don't really add anything else extra to the default game:

-The Old Gods
Possibly the most fun expansion, moves the earliest start date back to 867 and lets you play as Pagans, including Vikings, and Zoroastrians.

-The Republic
Allows you to play as a dynasty in a merchant republic.

-Sword of Islam
Lets you play as Muslim rulers.

-Charlemagne
Moves the earliest start date back to 769, lets you play as Zunists, which are a particular group of pagans, and also lets you form custom kingdoms and empires, which is a fairly minor change.

-Rajas of India
Lets you play in India. Mind you, without it you can still conquer your way into India, you just can't play as a native Indian ruler.

-Sunset Invasion
Adds an alternate-history invasion of disease-ridden Aztecs from the west in lategame. The most unnecessary expansion, unless you really want a challenge.

Also keep in mind that all the DLC except for the two newest, Charlemagne and Way of Life, go on sale at 75% off fairly routinely, so you probably want to hold off on any you don't think are must-have.

As for the superficial DLC, I like to get the portrait packs so characters look like they're from where they're supposed to be from, but you should always always wait until they're 75% off and 50 cents each if you want them. Unit packs and music are unnecessary altogether unless you're a completionist or are really really sick of the music. Custom ruler designer and character designer and all that are completely unnecessary, IMO.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is the "become county culture/religion" decision Rajas only or was that patch-added?

Also, get the African face pack regardless of price, things look really weird if you don't have it.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Funky Valentine posted:

Is the "become county culture/religion" decision Rajas only or was that patch-added?

Also, get the African face pack regardless of price, things look really weird if you don't have it.

Rajas only, or at least the religion one is.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

But the cardinal system is dumb and continues to be dumb and useless, because for whatever reason the Papacy just inspires Paradox to create game systems that are confusing, hard to influence, and of extremely dubious value.
What's the deal with that mechanic, anyway? I never actually tried it. You can spend hundreds of gold to stuff the college, and then if one of your boys gets picked, you...get a pope who likes you a little more? Is that all?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Doctor Schnabel posted:

What's the deal with that mechanic, anyway? I never actually tried it. You can spend hundreds of gold to stuff the college, and then if one of your boys gets picked, you...get a pope who likes you a little more? Is that all?
Yep. It's basically worthless.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Brutus Salad posted:

Did you do with the levy bug still active? if not what you do to fix it?

No way, this poo poo is hilarious.

I don't think the levy bug affects the mod for some reason. I looked around multiple times in multiple places and couldn't find an instance of it. If it went away on it's own I have no clue how it happened.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

Yep. It's basically worthless.
Wow, that ride is not worth the price of admission. I should see if I can lower the nomination costs somewhere when I start playing this again

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the pope just loving hands you tons of money if he's your vassal

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Wow, that ride is not worth the price of admission. I should see if I can lower the nomination costs somewhere when I start playing this again

It also doesn't help that unlike the patricians in a republic, the cardinals actually do seem to contribute to the campaign fund. They'll aggressively spend up to everything they've got the instant they are outbid.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Volkerball posted:

the pope just loving hands you tons of money if he's your vassal
You don't get a vassal pope by the whole college of cardinals rigamarole, you get it by a two-step "make antipope, press his claim." Which is, indeed, astoundingly profitable, but is not the system under discussion.

I don't know, does getting your candidate through the college when you're an empire make the resultant pope your vassal? If so, that's...interesting, I guess, but still a terribly expensive and inefficient method compared to the antipope method. And it doesn't make the college any better for kingdoms and below.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Total War implementation was so much better: every cardinal a realm has is good for one vote for the next Pope, and votes can be traded diplomatically; and the papal controller gets to call crusades. Simple, and actually worthwhile. I don't have any slick-rick ideas for how actually getting cardinals could be better, but there should probably be significantly more of them, just because there's potentially so many realms in CKII.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
What do Viking raids actually do? I only now realise I've been spending a horrifying amount of effort hunting the bastards down and I don't know why. Do they reduce the amount of tax income I can collect?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Player being able to influence declaring crusades would be insanely awful.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

The Total War implementation was so much better: every cardinal a realm has is good for one vote for the next Pope, and votes can be traded diplomatically; and the papal controller gets to call crusades. Simple, and actually worthwhile. I don't have any slick-rick ideas for how actually getting cardinals could be better, but there should probably be significantly more of them, just because there's potentially so many realms in CKII.

You also had a direct motivation to build more, bigger churches everywhere, because they made the Pope like you and also gave you more Cardinals.

Sulla
May 10, 2008

revdrkevind posted:

Also helpful: CK2 is regularly a Steam Daily Deal or (equivalent in other games service) so just be patient and you can get the whole lot for 75% off.

Yup...I actually just figured out that Steam sends you an email every time one of the games on your wishlist is on sale. :sweatdrop:

Sulla
May 10, 2008

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

What do Viking raids actually do? I only now realise I've been spending a horrifying amount of effort hunting the bastards down and I don't know why. Do they reduce the amount of tax income I can collect?

Usually when they are sieging down a vassal's holdings, unless I like the guy, I don't even bother.

I think the liege should get an opinion penalty with his vassals if there are raiders going around and he's unable/unwilling to do anything about it. I mean, isn't that the whole point of a feudal contract?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

They steal money from your pocketbook if you let them siege the province all the way down, which also carries the risk of having some of your family members taken prisoner and possibly made into concubines or sacrificed to the gods. The looted province gets a modifier that lowers its tax income (and levy reinforcement rate?) for a period of time, as well. If you're a merchant republic, they can also completely destroy trade posts, setting you back at least 90 gold.

If they're going after provinces in your personal demesne then it's in your best interest to scare them off, but if they're raiding your vassals then I think you can ignore it with few repercussions (it may even be to your benefit, as it'll leave your vassals weaker).

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any way to get Focuses working in 2.2.1? Would really like to play this weekend with the WoL additions but the levy bug makes things feel pretty hollow.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sulla posted:

Usually when they are sieging down a vassal's holdings, unless I like the guy, I don't even bother.

I think the liege should get an opinion penalty with his vassals if there are raiders going around and he's unable/unwilling to do anything about it. I mean, isn't that the whole point of a feudal contract?
So if they hit a 2000-man city with 500 guys and do their 20 gold loot thing, I don't lose out? Only very occasionally can they actually siege the place instead of just looting the countryside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

So if they hit a 2000-man city with 500 guys and do their 20 gold loot thing, I don't lose out? Only very occasionally can they actually siege the place instead of just looting the countryside.

If they loot the countryside, you'll end up losing a couple of gold per month as the province's income drops; just how much the province loses is dependent on the settlements in that province, and just how much you care depends on who owns said province. if it's a vassal, those fuckers probably aren't paying you squat in taxes anyways; if it's part of your own demense, that can matter quite a bit, because unless you're a giant sprawling nation with a vassal Republic, that land is your primary source of income.

99 times out of 100 it's no big deal and you won't care much.

• Locked thread