Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Yuns posted:

Cool, your instructor is my teammate Aaron who moved from NYC to Portland a while ago. He is a great grappler and instructor.

Awesome! I read about the place a bit and he sounds solid. I'm really looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I saw his Twitter last night, he didn't seem to be having a meltdown, just pointing out that the movie had quite a few fictitious elements.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

always be closing posted:

I saw his Twitter last night, he didn't seem to be having a meltdown

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/1/7473855/mark-schultz-tweets-extreme-anger-director-foxcather-channing-tatum-steve-carrell

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Oh dear.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
State of him

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
From his alleged facebook profile:

Mark Schultz posted:

I was already an Olympic and WORLD Champion before I met du Pont. The director took my 1985 World Title away in the film. I was not emotionally fragile as critics suggest. I didn't move to Pennsylvania to wrestle for Foxcatcher. I took an assistant coaching job at Villanova. I never looked up to duPont as a mentor, leader, father figure. He was a lot dirtier the first time I met him and he was drunk. He told me he would have nothing to do with Villanova which was the only reason I went there. du Pont was a repulsive sickening freak. I could barely stand looking at him. I never touched him except for a photo at the hall of fame and when I threw him in a headlock for a documentary. I never showed him any moves or taught him anything about wrestling. I never coached him in a wrestling match. I never read any speech he gave me. I never dyed my hair. Dave was my older brother and I loved him more than anything. He protected me but he was hard on me. I wouldn't call him a father figure. I have a great father who I got separated from in a divorce. After I won the NCAA's and Dave took 2nd, Dave started asking me about my technique and of course I taught him. He went around the 1983 NCAA's calling himself "Mark Schultz's brother". haha. I was a 3x NCAA Champion. Dave won one. In 1984 I was better at collegiate style . Dave was better in Freestyle. Screen writer Dan Futterman said in an interview "Mark could never ever beat Dave". That was true in freestyle until 1985 when I won the 1985 Worlds and beat the 1985 world champion at the weight above me. In 1986 I started getting the upper hand on Dave in freestyle. I never worked out in the new wrestling complex duPont built in 1989. I quit wrestling after losing in the 1988 Olympics and left the farm. Dave moved onto Foxcatcher Farms in 1989. In 1991 I became the assistant coach at BYU. I became a Jiu-Jitsu fighter in 1993 after a match with Rickson Gracie. I became the BYU Head Coach in 1994 until 2000. Dave was never a university head coach like the movie portrays. Dave was very technical but so was I. I didn't talk as much as Dave but I was very articulate. My father was a college english professor. We grew up listening to an intellectual. My grandparents were also very intelligent. In 1997 I earned a masters degree at BYU with a 3.6 gpa. Now I'm a corporate speaker and life coach. The movie doesn't show hardly any of my victories. It focuses on my losses. The personalities and relationships between the characters in the film are primarily fiction and, although Channing is outstanding, the personality is not accurate. However, I think Channing played me the only way it was possible to play me due to the confines of the director's vision.

I'm currently on a business trip in upstate NY and apparently he was going to do a seminar at a BJJ gym here while promoting Foxcatcher. Kinda wish I had gone now :v:

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
Even Louden Swain got felt up in his wrestling movie. It happens homie. It's ok. You're still a beast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPYt1vzaVjs
I'm about 2/3 through his book and he has barely even mentioned DuPont.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Watched Foxcatcher today and was surprised how tense and uncomfortable the movie's atmosphere was. I thought it was pretty good but have no idea how accurate it was since I only have a limited understanding of the whole du Pont thing.

Ruffalo was good (not too surprising). Tatum was really good too which I really wasn't expecting; apparently he can really act.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah my biggest take away from Foxcatcher was how well ruffalo and Tatum nailed the body language of grapplers.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Xguard86 posted:

Yeah my biggest take away from Foxcatcher was how well ruffalo and Tatum nailed the body language of grapplers.

They trained a lot and I think they both wrestled in high school.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Who Gotch Ya posted:

They trained a lot and I think they both wrestled in high school.

ah makes sense. I think we need an all celebrity Metamoris:

Kutcher vs Tatum
Ruffalo vs Rogan
Ed O'Neil vs Chuck Norris.

I'd watch!

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Xguard86 posted:

ah makes sense. I think we need an all celebrity Metamoris:

Kutcher vs Tatum
Ruffalo vs Rogan
Ed O'Neil vs Chuck Norris.

I'd watch!

Put Tatum vs Joe and let Chuck handle the rest of those guys.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Put Tatum vs Joe and let Chuck handle the rest of those guys.

I'm sorry but these matches have been carefully curated for height weight age and handsomeness.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

fatherdog posted:

HEELS WILL BE HOOKED! LEGS WILL BE LOCKED! YOU'LL PAY FOR THE WHOLE SEAT BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EDGE!

This just happened, Keenan subbed Lister and Tonon subbed Marcin Held

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Yuriy posted:

Keenan subbed Lister

:stare:

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
What

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
it's here for the time being

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdAY9Bhu14U

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
That's two in a row now for Lister - wonder what his diet is looking like nowadays since he was breathing pretty heavy.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

god drat that kid is good

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Keenan and Lister train with each other and Lister was originally scheduled to fight Popovitch, so I'm not sure how seriously he was taking the match.

Also the stream for this was really good, my two main complaints were that they spent way too much time playing pre-taped segments between matches and they had no replays of the finishes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Marching Powder posted:

god drat that kid is good

That was pretty loving entertaining.

I just found out a few days ago a congenital brain malformation that was discovered about four months ago will not need surgery and I can return to grappling. Watching videos like this will get me pumped up for dying a whole bunch very soon. :)

Even though I'm really jumping the gun on this, I wonder what no gi feels like compared to gi. The people at my gym are all beasts and I just wonder how that would translate to no gi. (I'm sure painfully for me)

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Captain Log posted:

That was pretty loving entertaining.

I just found out a few days ago a congenital brain malformation that was discovered about four months ago will not need surgery and I can return to grappling. Watching videos like this will get me pumped up for dying a whole bunch very soon. :)

Even though I'm really jumping the gun on this, I wonder what no gi feels like compared to gi. The people at my gym are all beasts and I just wonder how that would translate to no gi. (I'm sure painfully for me)

No gi is much faster and relies more on athleticism.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

No gi is much faster

Yep

quote:

and relies more on athleticism.

Nope

Both are just as technical as the other, but they develop different things.

Because of the ability to grip just about every part of the body in gi, you can slow things down considerably and your positional escapes have to become very strong and technical. Because you essentially have a noose around your neck, there are numerous more subission options, which means your submission defense has to become very strong and technical.

Because of paucity of grips and the greater slipperiness in no-gi, your ability to lock down positions using weight distribution and head/hip control have to become very strong and technical. Because you have many fewer submission options and subs are easier to slip out of, your submission offense has to become very strong and technical.

In terms of transitioning from one to the other, the grips and handfighting in guard (and particularly/primarily open guard) are completely different and will require some degree of relearning. Once you're past guard, things work mostly the same aside from some lapel fuckery.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
What'd Tonon get Held with?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Sprecherscrow posted:

What'd Tonon get Held with?

heelhook

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
It was Held's own fault- he sat back for a leglock and Tonon just stuffed it and turned the tables on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfL68F1nUJM

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
That was an amazing match

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

A Wry Smile posted:

It was Held's own fault- he sat back for a leglock and Tonon just stuffed it and turned the tables on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfL68F1nUJM

Odd position for it, wish we could see it from the other side.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Sprecherscrow posted:

Odd position for it, wish we could see it from the other side.

The odd and often poorly chosen camera angles and the lack of replay were my main complaints with this show. Quite good otherwise.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Getting into a leglock battle with Tonon just seems like a pretty bad idea at this point -- I happened to watch this match on YouTube the other day as well. Puopolo is ranked top 20 in the world by IBJJF, albeit with the gi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEmjotOWZFU&t=235s

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

Getting into a leglock battle with Tonon just seems like a pretty bad idea at this point -- I happened to watch this match on YouTube the other day as well. Puopolo is ranked top 20 in the world by IBJJF, albeit with the gi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEmjotOWZFU&t=235s

Leglocks are a major focus of Tonnon's game right now, and one of his main training partners is Eddie Cummings, of which a youtube search will show a seemingly unending stream of heelhook finishes.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm looking for a good deal on some shorts to do some grappling in. Big fan of Clinch gear/sprawl but I'm open to suggestions and any websites with good deals.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

omg chael crash posted:

I'm looking for a good deal on some shorts to do some grappling in. Big fan of Clinch gear/sprawl but I'm open to suggestions and any websites with good deals.

Professional quality fight shorts

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Op-Men-s-Solid-Swim-Short/40509887

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Kmart has a good selection too.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Is no-gi training considered a supplement to traditional bjj, or is it possible to focus on no-gi exclusively? And if so, would anyone recommend going that route?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

JHomer722 posted:

Is no-gi training considered a supplement to traditional bjj, or is it possible to focus on no-gi exclusively? And if so, would anyone recommend going that route?

It's possible to focus on that route. How good an idea it is depends on your goals, but whether you do gi or no gi, if your goal is to become a better grappler you should train with the best coaches and training partners available to you. Even if you intend to compete in no-gi exclusively, you'll be much better off in exclusively gi classes at Marcelo's or Renzo's than a garage full of blue belts training no-gi. Similarily, even if you only ever intend to compete gi, you'd be better off training at Erik Paulson's or Matt Hume's than gi some dude in Alabama who got his blue belt from Royce at a seminar.

fatherdog fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 13, 2015

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

It's possible to focus on that route. How good an idea it is depends on your goals, but whether you do gi or no gi, if your goal is to become a better grappler you should train with the best coaches and training partners available to you. Even if you intend to compete in no-gi exclusively, you'll be much better off in exclusively gi classes at Marcelo's or Renzo's than a garage full of blue belts training no-gi. Similarily, even if you only ever intend to compete gi, you'd be better off training at Erik Paulson's or Matt Hume's than gi some dude in Alabama who got his blue belt from Royce at a seminar.

Pretty sure that's what I have available to me :/

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LobsterMobster posted:

Pretty sure that's what I have available to me :/

Actually I think there's a decent dude in Auburn, or at least there was the last time I was doing GQ SouthEast. OTher'n that you'd probably have to trek over to Georgia though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

fatherdog posted:

Thanks! Luckily, I'm in a city (Boston) that has a lot of good options. I'm familiar with a few of the gyms (Wai Kru, Redline, and Sityodtong), but if any New England goons have recommendations I'd love to hear them. I have a wrestling background and some limited no-gi experience, which I enjoyed. Still haven't tried gi yet, though.