Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Fartmaster posted:

All in all though, I don't think I'm much of a record digger. I prefer to do the digging online, then get it on vinyl if I like it enough.

You might avoid legionnaires disease, but a sedentary lifestyle will kill you in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The Vinyl Thread: Hazardous To Your Health

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Getting started in vinyl with a bang--lp1240, at440mla, marantz pm5004. No half-measures :getin:

Found this lovely record yesterday for $3. Cobham is one of my favorite drummers ever

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

You might avoid legionnaires disease, but a sedentary lifestyle will kill you in the end.

Someday I'll die doing what I love. Inhaling dangerous spores in a dimly lit store front that smells like a basement.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I want my last words to be "the choirs of heaven lack the warmth of vinyl."

Or "is this a hot stamper?"

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Smells like vinyl dust and sun beams...

Geb
Mar 22, 2007

A Crystal Sword?! I'm all about swords! How did you know?!

WASDF posted:

Smells like vinyl dust and sun beams...

Oh man that smell is evocative. Kinda like old books. Did/do they use the same glue for record sleeves as books? or is the breakdown-of-glue-smell just a general glue thing?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Geb posted:

Oh man that smell is evocative. Kinda like old books. Did/do they use the same glue for record sleeves as books? or is the breakdown-of-glue-smell just a general glue thing?

I think it's just a glue/ink/paper thing.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

illestG posted:

"We recommend storing this record out of its clear polyethyline case, which will damage the vinyl after prolonged direct contact."

What gives?

From a while back, but is this legit? Seems more and more of my gimmicky records come packaged in these. So I should be keeping them out and in paper sleeves instead? Typically how long does it take to start damaging the record?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ballz posted:

From a while back, but is this legit? Seems more and more of my gimmicky records come packaged in these. So I should be keeping them out and in paper sleeves instead? Typically how long does it take to start damaging the record?

It seems like it's many many years, but it's a real thing. Like it might take 10 years.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Porcupine Tree's Transmission IV: Moonloop came in a blue PVC sleeve and people have issues with the colour transferring on to the clear and white variations. That came out in 2006 so I'd say it's more of a 5+ year issue rather than 10

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I just picked up a Sanyo JCX 2400 in really nice condition and holy crap does it sound good.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 31, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TubeStank posted:

I just picked up a Sanyo JCX 2400 in really nice condition and holy crap does it sound good.

Hard to imagine Sanyo ever made anything worth owning, but that looks like a solid receiver. Take pictures.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Crappy cell phone pic incoming.

The wood and metal are both in really good shape. It's a little dirty behind the glass (you can probably tell) but nothing too major. All of the electronics were working just fine.

The place I bought it from does a bunch of rehabbing and rebuilding of older gear (mostly cabinets, though) and they said they barely had to touch it.

EDIT: Whoops, JCX 2100K. I can read :downs:

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 31, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Looks sweet. Pretty low power, right?

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
That's the same receiver my parents have at their house, it's probably been the same place for well over 30 years and still works well. When I'm in town and grab a record from a local shop and play it on their stereo I'm always impressed considering they don't really care about music at all and only have a few John Denver, Eagles and Moody Blues albums.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

More than enough for the speakers and room it's in. I really haven't seen how loud it can get, but around 30 is where I start worrying that my upstairs neighbors will get upset.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Anniversary gift from my girlfriend is a holy grail:

Been wanting a copy of this forever, and she managed to find a sealed copy. Of course I unwrapped it immediately even though my receiver doesn't work so I can't listen to it yet, but I am super pumped about it.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 31, 2014

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
I slightly prefer Bitter Tea, but drat if that isn't an awesome find, especially new. Congrats on the awesome girlfriend.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Bitter Tea is indeed awesome. It was my first FF vinyl. Hoping to eventually snag copies of EP and Rehearsing My Choir (which is my favorite album of theirs) to round out the hard-to-find stuff. I never thought I'd even see a copy of Blueberry Boat, though.

Edit:
Another new arrival - Bilateral, by Leprous. Incredible album, loving gorgeous vinyl:

I've not seen a splatter on such a heavyweight record before; it's really cool to see the depth to the splatter. Seriously need to have my receiver repaired and get these things spinning...

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 1, 2015

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
My gets over the past few weeks. Mostly mail order stuff.

But first, I saw this at an antiques store and was intrigued by the cover and the band name. Couldn't really find anything about them online while doing some quick Googling while I was there, so I got it and hoped for the best. I kinda figured they'd be some late-80s punk band. Turns out they're some crappy rip off of what the Beastie Boys were doing around that time and it sucks and I wasted money on it.

Blood Bats - Fatal Book Opened

Anyway, onto better things. Cruised around the Prosthetic Records site and saw this on sale for $6.66. Listened to a couple tracks and bought it. When I finally listened to the whole album it turned out pretty great and I'm more than happy to have gotten it for that price.

Withered - Dualitas

The back.

The fold. Please ignore the lens cap.

Another find while cruising Prosthetic. Another band that was unfamiliar to me. Listened to a few tracks of a different album, snapped this up. It's one long, 40-minute track. The first part on side A is a slower, twangy instrumental bit. Side B gets nasty.

Dragged Into Sunlight - Widowmaker

Love the artwork.

White vinyl, cool sleeve.

Hello there, little fella.

The reason I went to the Prosthetic site in the first place. A friend of mine posted the link to their Bandcamp and after I heard the album, I had to buy it. It was on sale for $15, which is a pretty good price for a 2xLP I think. If you like proggy, folky, atmospheric, sprawling black metal, I think you should check this out. https://wayfarercolorado.bandcamp.com/

Wayfarer - Children Of The Iron Age

The back.

That fold.

Plain black vinyl, but the labels are nice.

My last post had a 7" single from this band. Decided to pick this one up, too. Nice, sludgy epic in the Nordic sense of that word.

Hull - Viking Funeral

The reverse.

Came with this insert.

Tells the story of the song, though not all of that is the lyrics. Complete with cool angry Viking art.

It's about revenge, by the by.

Nice silver and purple swirl.

Since the track fits on the first side, the backside of the vinyl is etched with some artwork. The Swamp Goat single also had something like this, but I forgot to take a photo of it last time and am too lazy to do it this time.

The last one. Heard this album a long time ago, loved it, but sorta forgot it had a vinyl version available until I remembered it suddenly the other week. It's a pretty nicely put together package. If you like apocalyptic crusty doom, you might wanna check this out.

What's this fancy slipcase?

Three tracks. Got it.

Dead To A Dying World - Self-titled

The rear. Tofu Carnage seems to put together some good packaging.

Doom un(gate)folds around you.

The sleeves have the lyrics printed on them directly. With only three tracks, why not?

The last track, the longest, is split over both sides of the disc. I was wondering where they'd split the track, and they picked pretty much the perfect spot in the song to do it.

The backside of the second sleeve.

The vinyl is a nice dark green which is hard to get a picture of without holding it up to the light. Just take my word for it. Also, ignore the dust. I ran into a bit of a staticy situation.

P.S. - Anybody got a site in the US with Morbus Chron's Sleepers in the Rift for a decent price? All I'm seeing is Discogs, and the reasonable stuff is in the UK and the US stuff is expensive. I'll buy from the UK if need be, but I'd like to save a little on shipping and get it a bit quicker, if I can.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 1, 2015

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Finally took the time to open up and listen to my xmas gift.

Shame they couldn't be assed to print different labels for the different volumes but nothing else about it feels cheap.

Edit: Oh yea, it has old love/new love. Best record set.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 2, 2015

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Speaking of cool news, John Carpenter is putting out an album of all new music.

http://www.avclub.com/article/john-carpenter-release-album-imaginary-movie-theme-211322

This is up for pre-order, $23 shipped.

http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/products/sbr123-john-carpenter-lost-themes

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Finally took the time to open up and listen to my xmas gift.

Shame they couldn't be assed to print different labels for the different volumes but nothing else about it feels cheap.

Edit: Oh yea, it has old love/new love. Best record set.

One of the circle things in the center was too small, so I had to cut it to make it fit my turntable. I was pretty disappointed at that.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ambushsabre posted:

One of the circle things in the center was too small, so I had to cut it to make it fit my turntable. I was pretty disappointed at that.

That happens pretty regularly. What I use is a pencil. I just shove that thing in and out and in and out a few times until the hole is big enough to fit on my record player. It's just something that happens for some reason. But a pen or pencil will widen that hole pretty good if it is too tight.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
This just came in the mail today. One of the best death metal albums I've heard in a long time (plus some of the best album art, too). It's spinning as I type this and it's incredible. The label was sold out, so I had to buy it directly from the band. I just have to say, they shipped it out faster and packaged it up better than some record labels I've bought from.

Horrendous - Ecdysis

The back. They are delightfully old school early-90s death.

The insert.

Lyric side.

No fancy colored vinyl, but the labels are nice. Side A.

Side B.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Thank you so much for posting this. I'm super hyped about this album.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

45s are the best, they don't even need sleeves. Thanks RCA!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Picked up a copy of American Football on blue vinyl at last night's show. Discogs says only 300 were pressed for the Chicago shows but I can't find anything to back that up as of yet. Still, it looks and sounds great.

Lungs
Dec 20, 2005
Here's some pickups from recent weeks.

Ensemble Pearl - Ensemble Pearl
Nilsson - The Point!
Merchandise - Totale Nite
Tortoise - Tortoise
Sweep the Leg Johnny - 4.9.21.30
Wipers - Is This Real?
Botch - Unifying Themes Redux
Botch - American Nervoso
Pneu/Nervous Kid Split
Rodan - Fifteen Quiet Years
Oneida - Preteen Weaponry
Isaac Hayes - The Man!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Nice finds at Red Onion in dc this weekend

Earth 2

Tim Hecker - ravedeath 1972

Fold

Oneohtrix point never - betrayed in the octagon

Few others too, but these are my favorite visually

emdash fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 5, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone here own the Fela Kuti boxsets? How are they?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Latest record pickup, grabbed it at a Goodwill shop earlier today. Pretty underrated album imo, and definitely one children should be exposed to.

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Can't believe my luck recently. Today I went to this place I'd been to a bunch of times so I kinda knew what was there. Picked out 4 records that were five bucks each. The dude only charges me ten bucks. Sweet. Then, on my way out, he goes, "Hey I don't know if you're interested, but we're throwing away that stack over there, you can have any of those records for free." gently caress yeah. I start looking through it and of course there's some torn up bullshit but then I started finding some great stuff. I found some Kitaro, Donald Byrd, Lou Rawls, Herbie Hancock and then possibly one of my craziest finds yet...

A little late, but hey, i'll take it.
http://www.discogs.com/Snoop-Doggy-Dogg-Merry-Christmas-Muthafuckers/release/861928

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Whaaaat the gently caress. Apparently the Snoop Dogg wasn't the best thing I found.

http://www.discogs.com/Gil-Mell%C3%A9-The-Andromeda-Strain-Original-Electronic-Soundtrack/release/669736

The sleeve was totally destroyed but the hexagonal record is in good condition. Wow.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

illestG posted:

Whaaaat the gently caress. Apparently the Snoop Dogg wasn't the best thing I found.

http://www.discogs.com/Gil-Mell%C3%A9-The-Andromeda-Strain-Original-Electronic-Soundtrack/release/669736

The sleeve was totally destroyed but the hexagonal record is in good condition. Wow.

That's the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Nice find

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

illestG posted:

That is awesome and why the hell would anyone throw that away?

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

CPL593H posted:

That is awesome and why the hell would anyone throw that away?

I don't get it. I even held it up and showed the guy at the shop and he just kinda shrugged and said the sleeve was too damaged. Dude was cool as hell, makes me want to head back there and see if he'll hook me up with even more deals.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I saw that in a shop for like $40 a few years ago. I covet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Didn't know that's where Add N to X got the idea for their hexagonal record, but not too surprising I guess.

It's pretty great too, at least when I last heard it. Might be time for another listen.