Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

vkeios posted:

None of the needed side quests for Neutral are missable; you can even do all of them at the end of the game. Did you wake up in the forest yet? Thats when you're locked into an ending.

Oh, no I just finished blasted Tokyo and assumed I couldn't do the side quests because they said they were closed. Thanks for letting me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vkeios
May 7, 2007

You're really close to the point where the decision is. By the way, its slightly tricky to get on the neutral path, so you might want to make a second save now just in case you gently caress it up.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So I just got a Jeanne D'arc and wow, she has amazing resistances.

quote:

Weak to Fire
Except for this, this is beyond morbidly hilarious.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

In persona 3 Jesus "The Messiah" was weak to piercing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Finally picked up SMT 4, quite excited to finally try it, as it will be my first mainstream SMT game (unless Nocturne is considered one). I have the free Visage Pack DLC, there's no real need to buy any of the rest of them for a good long while right?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nocturne is a mainline game. I think it was 3, also if you really wanna go crazy Strange Journey is apparently 4 while SMT4 is actually the fifth.

It's pretty cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nocturne is SMT3. You never have to buy any DLC at any point.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

cmykjester posted:

Nocturne is a mainline game. I think it was 3, also if you really wanna go crazy Strange Journey is apparently 4 while SMT4 is actually the fifth.

It's pretty cool.

Strange Journey was going to be a mainline game, but they decided it wasn't at some point. I seem to remember it was because it doesn't take place in Tokyo.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

OK, neat. I didn't realize that Nocturne was SMT 3. It's good to know I won't have to pick up any of the DLC, but I will probably get the farmable EXP and Money ones because I'm a huge scrub who needs every advantage.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'd say buy the money/exp/app ones and use them on NG+. It cuts down the tedium so good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

Strange Journey was going to be a mainline game, but they decided it wasn't at some point. I seem to remember it was because it doesn't take place in Tokyo.
i think they decided it wasn't because it was bad

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Endorph posted:

This is the most likely scenario

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I thought we were already past bad opinion page by at least 200 posts, but no.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bad opinions are eternal.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Healbot posted:

I thought we were already past bad opinion page by at least 200 posts, but no.

This thread is nothing if not a microcosm of bad opinions.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And yours are the worst.

You know who you are.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

This game (SMT IV) is really confusing! I thought I was going to be in Tokyo, but then God yelled at me and I had to be a medieval peasant divinely chosen by a palmtop AI instead. Then I gave a centaur a backrub to gain its powers.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Beef Waifu posted:

And yours are the worst.

You know who you are.

sorry beef waifu

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

The requirements for a SMT game to be a Main series game are as follows:

1. Human Companions who are also the alignment heros.
2. YHVH and Lucifer as the Law/Chaos Masters.
3. It *MUST* take place in Tokyo
4. DEMONSDEMONSDEMONS.
5. ALIGNMENT CHOICES.

projecthalaxy posted:

OK, neat. I didn't realize that Nocturne was SMT 3. It's good to know I won't have to pick up any of the DLC, but I will probably get the farmable EXP and Money ones because I'm a huge scrub who needs every advantage.

It's called Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. How can you not notice that?

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 2, 2015

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

cdyoung posted:

It's called Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. How can you not notice that?

Because it's not called that outside of Japan? The III was dropped for the NTSC-U and PAL release.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Because it's not called that outside of Japan? The III was dropped for the NTSC-U and PAL release.

Really? I never noticed.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
yeah they dropped the iii because the first two games were never localized. pretty sure it was called lucifer's call or something in europe, too.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, Atlus kind of pulled a Square move with the numbering outside of Japan, though the other way around than that lot did. In the US, at least six games were released with the Shin Megami Tensei name attached, before IV came out here. Persona 3 and 4, and both Raidou Kazunoha games have the SMT title stuck on the front of them.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

cdyoung posted:

The requirements for a SMT game to be a Main series game are as follows:

2. YHVH and Lucifer as the Law/Chaos Masters.

On the other hand, in SMT2 Satan was the Law route figurehead and YHVH is the final boss on every route.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

On the other hand, in SMT2 Satan was the Law route figurehead and YHVH is the final boss on every route.

Ok that was an oversight on my part. While YHVH is the overall Law Figurehead, he himself has lessers that act in his stead in the games.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

By that logic SMT4 wouldn't be a mainline game, too.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'm really liking SMT 4. The Whisper system where you can inherit or empower skills by fully leveling relevant Demons is pretty much awesome, as are the big Horde battles, which let you feel like you are chopping through dozens of zombies (or nagas or what have you) without actually letting the enemy have 27 separate turns. I just barely started the second dungeon (the forest outside my hometown). Are there any really unviable builds? So far I have gone high Dex and Str and use physical and gun skills about equally.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

WrightOfWay posted:

By that logic SMT4 wouldn't be a mainline game, too.

Yeah, Nocturne wouldn't make the cut either or any SMT game ever.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're all bad, play a good JRPG like Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beef Waifu posted:

They're all bad, play a good JRPG like Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask.

I can't get past the hot springs boss...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best anime jrpg is the dbz one by monolith soft

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm really liking SMT 4. The Whisper system where you can inherit or empower skills by fully leveling relevant Demons is pretty much awesome, as are the big Horde battles, which let you feel like you are chopping through dozens of zombies (or nagas or what have you) without actually letting the enemy have 27 separate turns. I just barely started the second dungeon (the forest outside my hometown). Are there any really unviable builds? So far I have gone high Dex and Str and use physical and gun skills about equally.

Strength is pretty much useless unless you want your normal sword attack to hit harder, since dex boosts physical skills more than strength does

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

projecthalaxy posted:

There's no point in increasing Str unless you use the weapon basic attack a lot, since Physical skills gain more damage from Dex than from Str.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

Strength is pretty much useless unless you want your normal sword attack to hit harder, since dex boosts physical skills more than strength does

Good to know, thanks!

E: Thanks also to Red Metal.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

As physical don't neglect Luck and Agility either. With high enough Luck you can crit off of your multi hit physical attacks constantly and get free turns. Agility lets you go first and dodge things which is important because the game has no defense stat

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

projecthalaxy posted:

I still feel like the Demon Whisper system and the fusion skill system together was perhaps a bit too much of a good thing. It's great to no longer have to fuss around with random shuffling of fusion skills to get the combination you want, and it's awesome that the player character actually has some proper personalization in fighting style (it can seem a bit weird when, of everyone in your party, the player character is the least customizable), but those two things together completely kill the element of compromise that's a huge part of SMT's difficulty. The enemy design in IV isn't actually pulling its punches, if you leave yourself open it'll gently caress you up, but it feels a lot easier because you can close up those weaknesses so easily.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yeah, having played Nocturne I knew how the system worked already, and after a bit of a rough patch at the beginning I pretty much broke the game over my knee. Four digit crits are so satisfying.

Still, there were some dicey bits. One of the bosses of the Chaos dungeon wiped my team except for a single demon that was completely immune to everything it could do. The trouble is I could only damage the boss with a spell on that demon, and its mana pool wasn't terribly large.

It came down to waiting for the boss to attack and proc smirk on the demon to boost its attacks, then hitting once and waiting again. Eventually I got down to my last bit of MP and prepared to reset.

The final spell killed the boss. :woop:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

In the history of SMT game is there ever a time where melee>magic?

I only ask because I'd always prefer mage characters and they tend to be way better than melee from my exp. For example, Almighty skills were insanely fun to spam after I got that SP ring for Naoto. My final party for P4: me, Yukiko, Teddy, and Naoto.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sure. The most recent SMT game, Persona Q, is one example. Physical skills blow magic out of the water. If you don't think that counts then I remember physical being better in Nocturne but I'm a bit hazy on that game. Though even in P4 the best skill by far is physical, Hassou Tobi melts everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Hassou Tobi.

E: Beaten. Physical and magic are probably about equal in Nocturne, but the TDE basically expects you to have built a physical character.

I went physical in SMT IV and it worked great for the whole game. Not very many demons are immune to phys, and for those I kept Zio around on my main character.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 2, 2015