Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Well I went to upgrade and update my equipment and sure enough I went back to the boss and area and it was a complete cake walk. I feel silly now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

What's a game that plays like persona 3/4? I want to play some anime high-school life simulator game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The_Frag_Man posted:

What's a game that plays like persona 3/4? I want to play some anime high-school life simulator game.

Sakura Wars 5: So Long My Love

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

The_Frag_Man posted:

You could try Cherry Tree High Comedy Club, which is like the social aspect of persona, but you're trying to start and run a comedy club, and you tell bad jokes and have to win people over by interacting with them and growing your relationship with them. It's almost literally the social aspect of the persona games but somehow even more anime.

Edit: This is the RPG thread and not the recommend a thread so maybe not the best recommendation I could have come up with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

You could try Cherry Tree High Comedy Club, which is like the social aspect of persona, but you're trying to start and run a comedy club, and you tell bad jokes and have to win people over by interacting with them and growing your relationship with them. It's almost literally the social aspect of the persona games but somehow even more anime.

Edit: This is the RPG thread and not the recommend a thread so maybe not the best recommendation I could have come up with.
also the writing in that game is pretty bland. it's a comedy club but there's barely any jokes, even bad ones, and all the characters are kind of bleh. It's not that I hate anime humor, it's that there's barely any humor in it, anime or otherwise.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Leper Residue posted:

Oh, my mistake. I couldn't see a recommendation thread. Sorry.
I've actually got that Sakura Wars game somewhere so I think I'll give it a shot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Sakura Wars 5: So Long My Love

I know it's kind of the worst Sakura Wars game, but I did like SW5 a lot :unsmith:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
natural doctrine is... good...ish? i don't know why, but i'm really kind of enjoying it, despite the link system being kind of silly. the checkpoints in battle is nice though, especially because sometimes battle can be a bit tricky.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what Snes rpg's do people recommend? Only tried Chrono Trigger which is pretty amazing, and I'm sure there are more games out there that I've never heard of as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lufia II.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The big guns in my opinion would be:

Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu III
Final Fantasy II/IV, III/VI, and yes even Mystic Quest
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Front Mission
Super Mario RPG
Earthbound

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sjonkel posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what Snes rpg's do people recommend? Only tried Chrono Trigger which is pretty amazing, and I'm sure there are more games out there that I've never heard of as well.

Final Fantasy 3 (aka 6 if you're getting a port of it)

Super Mario RPG

Earthbound

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

hubris.height posted:

natural doctrine is... good...ish? i don't know why, but i'm really kind of enjoying it, despite the link system being kind of silly. the checkpoints in battle is nice though, especially because sometimes battle can be a bit tricky.

So I followed the tutorial and stuck ranged guys right behind a shield guy. Then I realized that ranged attacks had friendly fire, but this didn't happen in the tutorial for some reason. Combined with the immensely bland aesthetic, I just don't think this game is for me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sjonkel posted:

romancing saga 3

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

Lufia II.

this x1000 i loving still love this game but i guess its bad for some reason?

you play a dumb adventurer dude who adventures with his not-g/f (totally g/f) and then you cheat on her with the first hot wizard you meet, after helping some guy named guy to rescue his sister(?) because she's fallen in a cave and can't get up, but then you meet said wizard girl and knock her up and then you meet an adventurer who is somehow more stupid than you are and a lab assistant and an elf and also there's a 99 floor random nethack dungeon mode

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

What when did people say anything bad about Lufia II.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Serious Frolicking posted:

So I followed the tutorial and stuck ranged guys right behind a shield guy. Then I realized that ranged attacks had friendly fire, but this didn't happen in the tutorial for some reason. Combined with the immensely bland aesthetic, I just don't think this game is for me.

its nothing to write home about but it is scratching an itch i didn't know i had so there is that

i'm a few hours in and haven't had any friendly fire incidents but you are not the only person to field this complaint. i've found that shooters always go first, so if you position them in a way as to not hit your guys they will not hit your guys and will only make "safe" counter attacks. not sure why this is such a rampant problem for people.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Srice posted:

What when did people say anything bad about Lufia II.

some fucker online called it a bad game years ago and if i ever find out who he was we will have words

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The_Frag_Man posted:

Danganronpa :getin:

There's also Mana Khemia which is a pretty average anime RPG but you're students at a magic high school and in between spending free time with your harem you have to dungeon crawl and craft poo poo to get good grades. It basically has a social link which determines your ending scene although it's as simple as choosing which girl to talk to on your days off.

e: I want a Japanese version of Bully. Actually I just want more Bully, that game was sweet.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 2, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

hubris.height posted:

its nothing to write home about but it is scratching an itch i didn't know i had so there is that

i'm a few hours in and haven't had any friendly fire incidents but you are not the only person to field this complaint. i've found that shooters always go first, so if you position them in a way as to not hit your guys they will not hit your guys and will only make "safe" counter attacks. not sure why this is such a rampant problem for people.

Because in the tutorial they teach you to stick them directly behind shield guys to protect them. Supposedly the game is only obtuse and difficult if you skip the tutorial, but then in the tutorial they teach you something actively detrimental.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I am an utter Final Fantasy troglodyte. Having bought VIII, I'm totaly failing to grasp the junctioning and magic system. Can someone explain it simply? Haven't ventured past the first fire cavern yet.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Because in the tutorial they teach you to stick them directly behind shield guys to protect them. Supposedly the game is only obtuse and difficult if you skip the tutorial, but then in the tutorial they teach you something actively detrimental.

no you position her just to the left of the shield guy

this works in combat very well because they shoot first and the improved guard guy cuts off the shot of their gunners because he breaks line of sight, by her being a few pixels out of sight and she's shooting just straight. they could have been more clear, i will grant you that, the tutorial is not great, but if you go back and replay that i think you will see what i mean

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mokotow posted:

I am an utter Final Fantasy troglodyte. Having bought VIII, I'm totaly failing to grasp the junctioning and magic system. Can someone explain it simply? Haven't ventured past the first fire cavern yet.

junctioning is basically just magic spells used as equipment slots corresponding to specific stats. the type of magic and amount you have dictate what you get from them.

you can get a general idea by testing stuff out but if you need specifics on what has the best efficiency in each slot here's a reference: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Junction_System

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

al-azad posted:

e: I want a Japanese version of Bully.

Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble is probably the closest thing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Overall I'd say not to stress the junction system. FF8 is a game that's easy to break even casually. And because enemies scale in level to a point you can play it comfortably without worrying too much unless you're going after optional content.

I'd say focus on GF abilities early on. Boost should be the first thing for all GFs followed by their refinement ability which turns worthless items into spells. Some of them have really helpful stuff like Diablos turns off random encounters, Siren lets you see invisible draw points and learn tool refine (tools teach GFs new skills), and Quezacotl has card refine to get rid of unnecessary cards.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble is probably the closest thing.

Unfortunately it doesn't take place during school.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

e: I want a Japanese version of Bully.

Are you sure about that?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mokotow posted:

you get magic from drawing, either from enemies or draw points (those purple sparkly places), or from refining items into spells using GF abilities (this is way faster and less annoying). then you can cast it if you want, or you can equip it to your stats.

GF abilities unlock which stats you can equip things to, which can be basic things like strength or something like the element of your attack. the effect is increased if you have more of a spell, so just stick those spells on there and go to town!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

al-azad posted:

Overall I'd say not to stress the junction system. FF8 is a game that's easy to break even casually. And because enemies scale in level to a point you can play it comfortably without worrying too much unless you're going after optional content.

I'd say focus on GF abilities early on. Boost should be the first thing for all GFs followed by their refinement ability which turns worthless items into spells. Some of them have really helpful stuff like Diablos turns off random encounters, Siren lets you see invisible draw points and learn tool refine (tools teach GFs new skills), and Quezacotl has card refine to get rid of unnecessary cards.

That first sentence is only somewhat true. Early on, yeah. Maybe to about level 11 or so. Every ten levels-ish, enemy stats take a large leap, and they very quickly overwhelm your own stats, unless you figure junctioning out (it's not hard).

ETA:

Figured I'd dump an explanation of junctioning here, as well. Like said above, leveling your Guardian Forces will give you skills that increase what you can junction spells to.

Now, for stats, each spell has a value for each stat. For example, Fire is: Hp- 1, Str- 0.10, Vit- 0.04, Mag- 0.10, Spr- 0.04, Spd- 0.08 Eva- 0.03, Hit- 0.10, Luck- 0.08. For each Fire spell junctioned to a stat, it'll add that much. But actually knowing all those numbers is for min-maxing crazies. You can generally just stick to 'non-elemental' stuff like Death, Triple, Aura, status effect spells, and whatnot for strength. Healing spells for HP. Haste for Speed, Elemental skills for magic. The more spells, the more of a boost.

For adding elemental or status effects to your attacks, it's as simple as the more of a spell, the higher a chance of it connecting, or the more damage done. Same for junctioning resistences.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 2, 2015

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The_Frag_Man posted:

Fate/Extra

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is mentioned in the tutorial. In fact the tutorial specifically explains how to position your guys not to get his by friendly fire and explains the line-of-sight.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

romancing saga 3

Holy crap, I only just noticed that there's a "fully playable" translation patch for this up on Romhacking.net. I know what I'm doing when I get home.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is this what Photograph Boy turned into I am not impressed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wendell posted:

Fate/Extra
Fate/Extra really isn't anything like Persona. Like it's ostensibly set in a high school (but not really) but there's no high school simulation stuff and the closest thing you have to an 'S. Link' is your servant, and that's basically just a matter of talking to them after every fight.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

On the other hand it's a total Persona rip off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wendell posted:

On the other hand it's a total Persona rip off.
Not really? Obviously the high school thing was influenced by Persona, but that's total window dressing - the entire point is the forced artificiality of it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ok!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Glad we could reach an agreement?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The high school thing wasn't influenced by Persona. Persona didn't start Japanese Anime High School stuff and the series that Fate/Extra is based off of also features a bunch of high school protagonists.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
They're all Jojo knockoffs anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also there's no real reason to play Fate/Extra if you aren't already a fan of the series.