Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Mo_Steel posted:

If a breach happens because of something that EMV / Chip and Pin would have prevented had they upgraded, the CC companies / processing companies would argue the business is liable for not upgrading to the more secure technology.

It's not just that they "would" argue, it's that they're baldly stating this is the case. I think he's referring to payment processors announcing they're switching liability to make merchants responsible for breaches if the transaction is not done through EMV. In the past, the credit card processor was liable for all identity theft charges past $50 (and I think if you notified them of the breach early enough they'd be responsible for that too).

http://lp.verifone.com/media/2146788/emv_key_dates_chart_021213.pdf

That chart shows when the shift in liability will happen - basically October 2015 is the first big milestone, where if the merchant isn't doing 100% of transactions through EMV, they're liable for breaches (ironically except for Visa the chart says this in the positive manner, i.e. "the merchant will be protected from breaches if they use EMV", whereas the Visa cell states the negative of "you're liable if you don't get with the loving program").

So that's why the US is finally switching to chip & PIN (or at least chip and signature to start), which has been overdue for 10 years - the processors were tired of picking up the bill for merchants' lovely security measures (and the inherent insecurity of static magstripes that can just be copied and used anywhere).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Che Delilas posted:

No dude his manager is really actually nice and they're friends and a raise is coming any day now I'm sure the manager just forgot about it.

I know this is sarcastic, but I guess since a bunch of people are commenting about it, I'll explain a bit. Most of my coworkers and manager are really decent guys. They've been helping me out significantly over the last year with things that happen in my life. For example, about couple weeks back, I rear ended a guy on the way home from work. Nothing serious, but my car was definitely not drivable afterwards. Since my insurance won't cover the full cost of the rental car while my car is being fixed, my manager is letting me use the company car, and is OK with me filling it up on the company dime, while my car is getting repaired. As another example, I got married 6 months ago, and literally the week before the ceremony, the people we had hired to coordinate the reception sprung a bunch of extra costs on me that they "thought they had included but forgot", or whatever their poo poo reasoning was. The owner of the company heard about it and personally loaned me the money, no interest and no strings attached, to cover it. As long as I pay him back something every month, he's happy with that. There's other examples, but I don't want to derail the topic too much further.

So yeah, I agree that being asked to go clean egg off a house, while getting pad to do so, during a time when I had nothing else of importance going on, is a bit ridiculous. However, I also kind of owe these guys at least some leeway, since they didn't have to give me a free rental car, or help pay for my wedding.

Now, to get back towards the topic, regarding EMV, I can't wait to see how our merchants will react to it. There's already a fair number who just pay the non-compliance fee every month for PCI, because they can't be arsed to pass the survey and protect their customer's data. There's even a few out there that we keep charge slips in stock for because they still prefer to use card imprinters. Most of our merchants don't understand what EMV is or why it's good for them. All they see is "I have to pay $150-$300 for a fancy looking piece of plastic when this here Tranz 330 has been working great for years!"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dear god it terrifies me that the penalties are not steep enough to force the businesses to pay.

But then again, my company writes off a 20k penalty for every 15 minutes our data center drops below a certain usage(since we refactored the power systems to save power, this keeps happening).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Some people in this thread seem like they wouldn't lift a finger to do anything for their coworkers if it's not in their job description. Forget it. It was a reasonable requests, on a purely human level, and you handled it fine. Checked it out, decided you couldn't take care of it, and let it go. Perfectly fine. Don't feel like you have to defend yourself for it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Doing something nice for someone and get paid for it? What a spineless coward you are, how do those boots taste, etc

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm just going to assume that the request was reasonable. These thing have a tendency to get out control though so it's not really a bad thing to have the thread telling you to stick up for yourself.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

All they see is "I have to pay $150-$300 for a fancy looking piece of plastic when this here Tranz 330 has been working great for years!"

I did a Google image search and my reaction is "those are still in the wild and used?" I can't remember the last time I saw one of those terminals for a door entry pad much less at a store.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

At some point stuff becomes so obsolete that it's safe from hackers, because none of them know how to deal with it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FireSight posted:

At some point stuff becomes so obsolete that it's safe from hackers, because none of them know how to deal with it.

When I browse the web on my old Windows 98 computer for fun sometimes, I end up with a lot of cases where a malicious ad clearly tried to deliver malware, but the malware requires NT kernel to work. Just randomly getting a window popping up saying "xwjdjwo.exe is not a valid win32 application" and such. :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have a couple of OS 9 machines I occasionally fire up and get much the same.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

RFC2324 posted:

Dear god it terrifies me that the penalties are not steep enough to force the businesses to pay.

But then again, my company writes off a 20k penalty for every 15 minutes our data center drops below a certain usage(since we refactored the power systems to save power, this keeps happening).
Do you know what the monthly non-compliance fee is for PCI? $20. Frankly, I feel PCI is kind of a joke. I understand how and why it benefits the merchants, but the whole system is set up and presented as a way for the credit card companies to go "Oh, so you had a data breach and someone stole your customers' data? Were you compliant? No? Well then gently caress off, this is your fault!" with no real other help to the merchant otherwise. It could either stand to be restructured to seem more helpful, or have the penalty jacked way up. I don't know what sort of penalties besides liability will be in place with EMV, but I imagine it'll be much the same.

waffle iron posted:

I did a Google image search and my reaction is "those are still in the wild and used?" I can't remember the last time I saw one of those terminals for a door entry pad much less at a store.
They're rare now, but they're out there. I've only seen a couple, personally, and they barely function anymore, but they can still technically be used if they never break down over the years. Not that they're compliant in any way, of course.

When I first started taking over the stock room stuff, we had a B-Stock pile filled with various old technologies and "back up" terminals. Off the top of my head, we had 5 Tranz 330s in that pile, a couple Way 5000s, half a dozen Nurit 2085s, a couple Omni 3000s, some FD10 pinpads, some Verifone 1000se pinpads, and a bunch of Hypercom T7Plus'. There was also a bunch of old blocky poo poo that I couldn't identify and knew we didn't use, like 10lb modems that only had plugs for phone lines and RS232 cables, and what looked like those big bulky check readers you see at banks.

Since I don't expect most of you to know what all of that is, or to want to google search it, almost none of that stuff is even PCI compliant, nor was any of it made in the last 8 years. It was all being kept as backup stock in case a merchant with an old machine broke down. I do encourage you to google search at least some of it if you can though, because it's interesting to see how far we've come from that old tech.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
MICR readers (the bulky check scanners) don't necessarily need to be PCI compliant, so that doesn't matter.

The scary part about PCI noncompliance is getting your transaction fee raised by 1% or 2%. They almost never revoke processing, but getting the percentage bumped is bad enough most of the time

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

neogeo0823 posted:

I know this is sarcastic, but I guess since a bunch of people are commenting about it, I'll explain a bit. Most of my coworkers and manager are really decent guys. They've been helping me out significantly over the last year with things that happen in my life. For example, about couple weeks back, I rear ended a guy on the way home from work. Nothing serious, but my car was definitely not drivable afterwards. Since my insurance won't cover the full cost of the rental car while my car is being fixed, my manager is letting me use the company car, and is OK with me filling it up on the company dime, while my car is getting repaired. As another example, I got married 6 months ago, and literally the week before the ceremony, the people we had hired to coordinate the reception sprung a bunch of extra costs on me that they "thought they had included but forgot", or whatever their poo poo reasoning was. The owner of the company heard about it and personally loaned me the money, no interest and no strings attached, to cover it. As long as I pay him back something every month, he's happy with that. There's other examples, but I don't want to derail the topic too much further.

Another way to look at this is that they don't pay you enough to have an emergency fund to take care of these "life happens" things when they arise.

It's great that you're scratching each other's backs and all, seriously. But it's totally possible for someone to be a nice person and be taking advantage of you whether they realize it or not. Ask yourself, at what point is it OK for you to ask for a raise or to say no to a request that would otherwise be unreasonable again? Is the answer, "never?" Is it after you've paid off that loan? What happens if you're offered your dream job out of nowhere before you've paid it back? Would you feel additional hesitation about taking it? Suddenly that doesn't sound so interest-free anymore.

Don't immediately start looking to :yotj: out, but keep these things in mind.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I also think there's a huge difference between "Hey do me a favor" and "Hey scrub egg off of my house."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I don't know, I'm with neogeo0823 here. Depending on how my week had been going, I might have just thought about it as a nice change of pace, especially since he could just say "Nope, it's not working, I'm not going to spend more than 5 minutes on this."

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
I think this thread has just seen too many goons in wells and thus takes anything that's outside the scope of the job-description-as-written as "your boss is taking advantage of you, and is also lovely".

The problem most of the time is any boss you have that's literally going to ask you to scrub egg off their house is a boss that you're going to want to re-think your professional relationship with in the near future. My boss and I get along just fine and I'd be willing to talk favors like "hey I need to move over the weekend, can you give me a hand if I bring a case of beer", but somehow "can you go to my house during work hours while I'm not there to scrub some poo poo off my driveway" rubs me the wrong way.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

Do you know what the monthly non-compliance fee is for PCI? $20. Frankly, I feel PCI is kind of a joke. I understand how and why it benefits the merchants, but the whole system is set up and presented as a way for the credit card companies to go "Oh, so you had a data breach and someone stole your customers' data? Were you compliant? No? Well then gently caress off, this is your fault!" with no real other help to the merchant otherwise. It could either stand to be restructured to seem more helpful, or have the penalty jacked way up. I don't know what sort of penalties besides liability will be in place with EMV, but I imagine it'll be much the same.

They're rare now, but they're out there. I've only seen a couple, personally, and they barely function anymore, but they can still technically be used if they never break down over the years. Not that they're compliant in any way, of course.

When I first started taking over the stock room stuff, we had a B-Stock pile filled with various old technologies and "back up" terminals. Off the top of my head, we had 5 Tranz 330s in that pile, a couple Way 5000s, half a dozen Nurit 2085s, a couple Omni 3000s, some FD10 pinpads, some Verifone 1000se pinpads, and a bunch of Hypercom T7Plus'. There was also a bunch of old blocky poo poo that I couldn't identify and knew we didn't use, like 10lb modems that only had plugs for phone lines and RS232 cables, and what looked like those big bulky check readers you see at banks.

Since I don't expect most of you to know what all of that is, or to want to google search it, almost none of that stuff is even PCI compliant, nor was any of it made in the last 8 years. It was all being kept as backup stock in case a merchant with an old machine broke down. I do encourage you to google search at least some of it if you can though, because it's interesting to see how far we've come from that old tech.

Maybe I'm just lucky then, because my company takes PCI compliance and credit card security pretty drat seriously. FD10s, jesus. :cripes:

e: Oh man the number of these various models of terminals on sale on eBay. That sounds like a fantastic way to get some modified hardware to scam your customers by reading all the card data before passing it along to you, Why would you cut loving corners on something like buying credit card processing terminals like that?

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 2, 2015

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

Volmarias posted:

I don't know, I'm with neogeo0823 here. Depending on how my week had been going, I might have just thought about it as a nice change of pace, especially since he could just say "Nope, it's not working, I'm not going to spend more than 5 minutes on this."

The problem with the scenario is that it also feeds into the stereotype of IT being the trash-can where all the lovely jobs and "Hey can you do me a favour?"'s get thrown in to. Also I'm assuming most of us have experienced this first-hand in one way or another so there's a (justified) knee-jerk reaction whenever it comes up.

Regardless, it's been beaten to death and only neogeo0823 knows the full context. Just make sure you stay vigilant that you're not being taken advantage of I guess.

e: Oh it appears I missed Ursine Asylum's post which essentially said the same thing, woops.

skooky fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 2, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ursine Asylum posted:

I think this thread has just seen too many goons in wells and thus takes anything that's outside the scope of the job-description-as-written as "your boss is taking advantage of you, and is also lovely".

The problem most of the time is any boss you have that's literally going to ask you to scrub egg off their house is a boss that you're going to want to re-think your professional relationship with in the near future. My boss and I get along just fine and I'd be willing to talk favors like "hey I need to move over the weekend, can you give me a hand if I bring a case of beer", but somehow "can you go to my house during work hours while I'm not there to scrub some poo poo off my driveway" rubs me the wrong way.

This was basically my reaction. Not to mention that it was the owner of the company that appeared to be using IT as his own personal errand service, because he's the loving owner, what are they gonna do, say no to me? ME?

Apparently that wasn't the case here (or not entirely), which is great. But I still feel like it's a statistically safe bet to assume the worst of these people (executives/managers) by default when I hear stories like this. That way I can be pleasantly surprised sometimes, rather than the reverse.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I came in to a hopefully relaxed day of installing updates on the school server farm before they kick off on Monday. Unfortunately every teacher seems to have gotten the notion to come in too - despite the fact they they should be off until Monday - and I'm not a huge enough dick to reboot the farm until tonight.

That's not the ticket though.. today's main issue is water damage.

Lots of water damage.

Upwards of $10.000.000 worth of water damage.

The biggest school in the municipality had a hot water pipe burst just before Christmas, spraying 80 degrees C (176 F)hot water from a fist-sized hole at the very top of a three-story building (it was an old installation with some water-heating solar panels or something). The school itself is six separate buildings connected by a long hallway. Only one of the buildings got hit, but that single building contains
  • The dental clinic (including X-ray equipment)
  • The Physics lab
  • The Bilology lab
  • The Chemistry lab
  • The woodworking shop
  • The metalworking shop
  • The administration
  • The storerooms for books
  • The library
  • The teachers' lounge
  • The print/copy center
  • The main IT racks for that school, including fiber uplink
  • The boiler room
  • the main electricity..eh..switchboard(?)

For three days all that has been soaked in 80 degree "central heating water" which has some additives to make it easier to smell and see when there's a leak. There's water and/or steam everywhere - even in the double walls and in the layer of sand between the floors (no, I don't know why there's sand there, but there is!). We've been able to get power and some heating back in the unaffected buildings, but it'll be months before the cleanup is over, and the building inspectors are talking about just tearing the building down instead of trying to renovate it.

Right now we're trying to get some rudimentary network back up and running. It'd really be great for the teachers and students if they can at least get on the Internet when school starts - otherwise they'll be left with nothing but a classroom with lights and heating until this mess gets sorted out. I can't even begin to imagine how they'll handle science labs - especially for the 10th and 11th grade with the exams coming up in May.

IT wise we're scrapping everything in the building, including the wiring in the walls. The additives in the heated water doesn't play nice with copper, and we don't want to risk wonky errors down the line that may or may not be because we saved $100 by refurbishing a switch or drop cable instead of tossing it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Crowley posted:

Upwards of $10.000.000 worth of water damage, and the building inspectors are talking about just tearing the building down instead of trying to renovate it.

:stonklol:

Uh, I guess at least you'll get to set everything up how you like it this next time around? I don't know where you live, but it's been consistently 20 degrees here this last month. If that happened to a building here, now, it would probably be left to ice over till spring, and then torn down. Mold can be a severe bitch, especially in areas with poor ventilation, like between walls.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

That's pretty much every single job I held previour to this one. Here, I am getting paid a bit below average, but I am also up for a raise, and just need to find the time to talk to my manager about it. It's been kinda hectic the last couple weeks, so I'll wanna try maybe next week, since the holidays will be over.

Today, a call came in. The owner of the company lives in an obscenely rich neighborhood full of mcmansions. Like, one place about a block down from him literally looks like they took two fancy brick houses and joined them together with half of a brick house in the middle. It literally has two front doors, on two separate sections of the house. Think like the Mcallister house from Home Alone 1, add some extra yard space and a separate garage, and you're starting to get there.

Anyway, said owner is on vacation out of the country until next week.I guess one of the owner's daughters is house-sitting while he's away, she called him all frantic because some dumb kids egged his house, and she didn't know what to do. He called my manager, who asked me to go over there and clean the egg up. In his defense, he actually was swamped with 5 different things he had to get done today, and I didn't actually have anything important to do. Also, I was getting paid for this, and it's a 5 minute drive from the office.

So I get there with a bucket of warm water, some 409, and a scouring sponge, expecting some huge mess of egged up window screens, protein stained wood doors, and milky glass panes. Instead, it appears as though whatever kids did this dragged his welcome mat over to the driveway and got it with 3 or 4 eggs, then from that spot tried to egg his door. They missed the door entirely, instead landing 3 shots on the steps leading up to it. There was also 1 egg thrown at a window to the side of the door, which missed that and hit the window sill.

The problems though, are thus: Everything about this house, except for the door and window frames, is made of extremely porous brick. It is also ~20 degrees outside, and the egg is firmly frozen by the time I get there. I begin making a token effort to scrub the egg off the steps nearest the door, when I find a bucket full of cold water, some kitchen gloves, a hand towel, and a spatula with some frozen egg on it sitting behind a potted plant next to the door. I guess the owner told his daughter to go scrape up the egg until someone could get there.

At least she tried? v:shobon:v

I ended up scrubbing for a few minutes before taking pictures to forward to the owner and calling it a day. He's gonna have to suck it up till spring, then go at this with a wire brush and some elbow grease. The egg isn't very noticeable, anyway.

Ok the shopping one I was fine with because an hour or two of a workday at frys or best buy is basically free time off. This is where a line would be gleefully drawn. The owner can hire a contractor to deal with this poo poo.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rhymenoserous posted:

Ok the shopping one I was fine with because an hour or two of a workday at frys or best buy is basically free time off. This is where a line would be gleefully drawn. The owner can hire a contractor to deal with this poo poo.
You kinda missed the bus on this one, man. Totalnewbie said it best, I think:

totalnewbie posted:

Some people in this thread seem like they wouldn't lift a finger to do anything for their coworkers if it's not in their job description. Forget it. It was a reasonable requests, on a purely human level, and you handled it fine. Checked it out, decided you couldn't take care of it, and let it go. Perfectly fine. Don't feel like you have to defend yourself for it.
I get not being a doormat, but this was the first time something like this had been requested of me. It wasn't even originally to me, it was to my manager. He couldn't get to it because he was busy, and I volunteered because I wasn't. I didn't sit there for an hour, in the cold, scrubbing my fingers off. I went over there, took a look, made a token effort, and 5 minutes later decided "gently caress it, not doable". The only reason any of this even happened was because the owner was freaking out thinking the whole front of his house had been saturated in egg. Some people kind of need to chill out about being decent human beings to each other.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Did everyone else miss that there was also a seemingly adult aged person at home already?!

There's going outside of your job description and then there's being asked literally be a cleaning service. I would rather browse fyad or you know, further my education then go clean egg of my boss's, who also is apparently very very rich if he's living in a mcmansion, house. Come on man, if he had asked you to go clean dog poo poo of out his yard because one of his neighbors let their dog poo poo in it and his daughter didn't want to touch it, would you have done that too?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe the boss was trying to set up him with his smoking hot daughter?

Is that still out of scope?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A recruitment email came in...

... a Citrix internal recruiter hit me up to be a "Senior Technical Relationship Manager."

I am fairly certain that despite administering ICA/Metaframe/Xenapp in the past and now Xendesk presently, I don't really have the background to be a senior technical anything for Citrix, and my relationship management is at best a 5ish month period of being in charge of ten clients for an MSP before I :yotj:ed out of there, but "flexible work arrangements" and Senior in the title? Hmm.

I mean, hell, an internal Google recruiter reached out to me once and took my application before I never heard from him again, because I am 100% sure I didn't really have the scripting chops for it. But still. It'd be nice to be out of the support game and into something that, while customer-facing, is hopefully less pagery.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

m.hache posted:

Maybe the boss was trying to set up him with his smoking hot daughter?

Is that still out of scope?

It's an awful idea since it means getting fired if they ever broke up.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

mattfl posted:

Did everyone else miss that there was also a seemingly adult aged person at home already?!

There wasn't. I don't believe his daughter lives there anymore, she was just checking up on the place for dad while he was away. There was no one there when I arrived.

Also, can we please drop it? I only posted about it because it was the Random Weird Thing that happened for the day, I didn't want it to turn into a multi-page derail or anything. :( I'd like to get back to hearing about horribly unsafe server rooms, perfect poo poo-storms of things failing, and managers who are actually terrible being actually terrible. Where's Blacksword and Dick Trauma? Surely something has to have gone wrong recently that was their fault, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

neogeo0823 posted:

It wasn't even originally to me, it was to my manager. He couldn't get to it because he was busy, and I volunteered because I wasn't.

This is actually the thing that rubs me the wrong way. I'm friends with coworkers and have done them personal favors tons of time (and they me.) I could see having that sort of relationship with a boss or supervisor depending on environment.

But the request wasn't from boss to you asking for a solid. It was your boss to your manager and the whole vibe is that it got delegated down to you. I know you said you volunteered and it's hard for any of us to read the context of this without being there and after the fact, but from the outside it looks like the boss trying to take advantage of your manager who then passed the buck down to you.

The big thing is a ton of us have been in similar situations and it seems reactionary to trot out the slippery slope argument but it is something to be wary of.

I know in my last job my boss "borrowed me" during work hours to a friend's business to give them a bit of IT help and then sort of washed his hands of it. You know those sorts of request are never a one time thing, but the boss wasn't about to open up his own IT consulting business and have me share time moving forward. So, I got caught in the horrible position of doing that sort of work on my own time or telling them 'no' directly with all the boomerang fallout that could potentially have at my job if they decided to tell my boss I left them hanging. Oh, they were paying me for my work, but I didn't exactly want to be moonlighting IT work.

So, you are probably triggering a lot of PTSD with people over stuff like this.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

So, you are probably triggering a lot of PTSD with people over stuff like this.

Oh my God, the guy explained a situation which in his eyes was legit and repaying a favor for a company that has apparently on the balance treated him properly.

Please don't turn this into Tumblr. If you have PTSD or are having symptoms of it, utilize the numerous healthcare resources at your disposal, even the free ones for those who can't afford it. Don't let this thread turn into pussyfooting around goons in wells, lamenting lovely situations, and outright anger at morons in charge.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

A ticket came in...

Every single entry was purged from the MAC whitelist on our wireless network. At December 31, 2014, 11:59:59.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

thelightguy posted:

A ticket came in...

Every single entry was purged from the MAC whitelist on our wireless network. At December 31, 2014, 11:59:59.

Do you have a network admin named Tannen, by chance?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its roughly how I saw it. He did someone a favour, he knows the guy and has no problems and it sounds like its a decent working environment.

loving chill, christ.

MJP posted:

Do you have a network admin named Tannen, by chance?

:golfclap:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

:stonklol:

Uh, I guess at least you'll get to set everything up how you like it this next time around? I don't know where you live, but it's been consistently 20 degrees here this last month. If that happened to a building here, now, it would probably be left to ice over till spring, and then torn down. Mold can be a severe bitch, especially in areas with poor ventilation, like between walls.

We were just about to finish setting up that school after they've all been insourced., so we were already decently good except for some shoddy cabling in the buildings that don't have any damage anyway. :sigh:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Actual content: I have very real doubts as to my help desk guy's bare bones technical abilities and/or brainspace. My New Year's resolution has been to stop voluntarily covering for him out of fear of Stuff Not Getting Done, and let the chips fall where they may. (Outside of him escalating stuff he's exhausted all resources on or stuff my boss tells me to take from him)

Example: a few months back we had some monitors go bad. He had to replace them.

On Wednesday, he asked me how I replaced the monitors - did I call Samsung, did I call CDW, etc.

I had to point him at his own ticket to convince him that it was indeed him and not me that did the replacement.

Poor guy's got bad sleep apnea and falls asleep snoring hard at his desk at least two or three times a day, and I think insurance is giving him a hard time on getting a CPAP machine, but this is only the most recent example of a guy whose IT background has been so customer service-oriented his tech skills have suffered.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MJP posted:

this is only the most recent example of a guy whose IT background has been so customer service-oriented his tech skills have suffered.

There is a very fine line between "I can't administer an AD network like I used to" and "Who do you call to unplug and replace a monitor?". That fine line is visible from space.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MJP posted:

A recruitment email came in...

... a Citrix internal recruiter hit me up to be a "Senior Technical Relationship Manager."

This may not be what you think it is. Typically a "Relationship Manager" is not the person that deals with nuts and bolts, but deals with nuts and dolts (thank you, thank you). The RM is the one that liaises between the customer and the real technical personnel, so they don't have to interact with lovely clients directly.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

There is a very fine line between "I can't administer an AD network like I used to" and "Who do you call to unplug and replace a monitor?". That fine line is visible from space.

I really should go back and think up some of the really stupid things he's done, but it's the average everyday stupid that gets me. He doesn't know how to use leading questions to save his life.

"Joe, I'm having an issue with my scanner."
"Okay, I'll be right there!"

*proceeds to spend 15 minutes talking about the Colts*
*proceeds to log off/on from the thin client about 5-10 times*
*ticket sits idle*

I'm not trying to be goony goon who uses email for everything - I get face time, it's just that "what exactly happens when you try" is a lot better than "how about them Colts" or otherwise. If he asked for the error and searched his email for it (we've got Google Apps, so email search is actually relatively useful and effective) or checked the wiki for it (which he knows exists) he'd know exactly how to not only fix it but to do so in the same session.

Gotta love locked-down VDI. Whatever simple fix there is, multiply its complexity to resolve by a factor of two at minimum.

The worst, most unforgivable part, though (TRIGGER WARNING)

He's hourly, routinely stays late or works through lunch, and doesn't claim the time on his timesheet because he "wants to be nice" and "it's part of the job"

flosofl posted:

This may not be what you think it is. Typically a "Relationship Manager" is not the person that deals with nuts and bolts, but deals with nuts and dolts (thank you, thank you). The RM is the one that liaises between the customer and the real technical personnel, so they don't have to interact with lovely clients directly.

That doesn't sound awful. Even if it's Joe Non-Technical calling with "how am I do Citrix" I could at least be doing it remotely, if that's what the flex means.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

flosofl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAY27NU1Jog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

flosofl posted:

Here I was hoping the job roles would involve setting up matches on their online dating service.

• Locked thread