Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also there's no real reason to play Fate/Extra if you aren't already a fan of the series.
unless you're a big fan of bisexuality

or the music of hit visual novel 9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors, because they have the same composer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

all roads lead to jojo

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

unless you're a big fan of bisexuality

or the music of hit visual novel 9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors, because they have the same composer

I'm going to gently caress Archer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mycot posted:

They're all Jojo knockoffs anyway.

And if we wanna go this route then Jojo started out as a Fist of the North Star knockoff.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

of all three of them, really? i mean come on, when saber is right there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and fist of the north star was inspired by mad max

and mad max was inspired by the 1973 oil crisis

no anime for oil

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

of all three of them, really? i mean come on, when saber is right there

I don't like any of the Sabers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Red Saber is the best character in the entire Fate series. I agree in the rest of their case because Arturia is dull and Gawain's a douchebag

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Red Saber was alright I guess.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
fuuuckkk im so done with dungeon 4 in persona q

please end my misery i do not understand. gently caress you musclemen gatekeepers

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

hubris.height posted:

fuuuckkk im so done with dungeon 4 in persona q

please end my misery i do not understand. gently caress you musclemen gatekeepers

This so much. I've gotten to the point where I just kill them and then limp around until I find a shortcut that will let me get past them on a return trip.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Shout out to the people who reccomended I get a PS TV. I had no idea they existed but it's exactly what I'm looking for

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MockingQuantum posted:

Holy crap, I only just noticed that there's a "fully playable" translation patch for this up on Romhacking.net. I know what I'm doing when I get home.
Ya it's fully playable but IIRC it's a pretty atrocious translation. Which is really not a big deal because nobody ever understands what the gently caress is going on in a Romancing Saga game anyway.

Just don't bother with the stupid war game, and I want to say the trading minigame is pretty bizarre too

Srice posted:

What when did people say anything bad about Lufia II.
when people do the world's most difficult trick hehehe

Real answer: when people mix up the remake for the original. God what the gently caress, the remake is worse than all the Star Wars movie remakes combined

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 2, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MockingQuantum posted:

Holy crap, I only just noticed that there's a "fully playable" translation patch for this up on Romhacking.net. I know what I'm doing when I get home.

someone also finally finished a rs1 patch recently: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,18590.0.html

but rs3 is way better anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Real answer: when people mix up the remake for the original. God what the gently caress, the remake is worse than all the Star Wars movie remakes combined

I don't know that I'd go that far but man do I hate the loving remake. It's amazing how much they managed to make me not like one of my favorite games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
another cool snes rpg is DARK LAW, which lets you create your own characters and is pretty much the best

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
It's annoying how everyone practically worships Shion in Xenosaga III even though she's kind of a self-centered bitch. The giant robot sections are pretty awesome though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shion is an insanely terrible person, it's really kind of amazing. She was kind of okay in Xenosaga 1 and then her glasses broke and she became terrible.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought it was cool that you got to beat the poo poo out of her as a no for real she's not mind controlled or anything just really dumb boss.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Celery Face posted:

The giant robot sections are pretty awesome though.

Word. The Ein Soph fights are super cool, and one of them has the best music in the game (it's also a huge Xenogears reference).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n10VyIRJj58

Jin cutting enemy bots apart with his massive HANZO STEEL KATANA is one of the best parts of the game. And the finishing moves, oh god those numbers :flashfap:

Also yeah the Shion fight is great, I just had Ziggy repeatedly choke her and it was cathartic as hell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was wondering if Yuki Kajiura did the music for the third game as well as the second. Took 5 seconds of listening to that to confirm.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I was wondering if Yuki Kajiura did the music for the third game as well as the second. Took 5 seconds of listening to that to confirm.

Kajiura only did the cutscene music for XS2. Shinji Hosoe handled most of the gameplay music.

Also, with Shion's behavior in XS3, I can't deny that she's absolutely hateful at times, but most of her behavior is because she just doesn't know what the gently caress is going on. Not unlike most of the players, really.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gamma Nerd posted:

Kajiura only did the cutscene music for XS2. Shinji Hosoe handled most of the gameplay music.

Hah, really? I've only ever heard him doing shumup music before.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

he did 999 too

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

Word. The Ein Soph fights are super cool, and one of them has the best music in the game (it's also a huge Xenogears reference).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n10VyIRJj58

Jin cutting enemy bots apart with his massive HANZO STEEL KATANA is one of the best parts of the game. And the finishing moves, oh god those numbers :flashfap:
hell.
As soon as I saw Vergil with his giant mech in the cave, I was like "Oh yes, giant robot boss fight!" :neckbeard:
One thing that's awesome about the battle system is that everyone gets experience whether they participated or not. Saves a lot of hassle.

Edit: Just realized that MOMO is voiced by the same person who played Sunny in MGS4.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 3, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

The big guns in my opinion would be:

Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu III
Final Fantasy II/IV, III/VI, and yes even Mystic Quest
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Front Mission
Super Mario RPG
Earthbound

Illusion of Gaia I don't believe has any RPG mechanics at all. But he should still play it and Terranigma because they are both very good Zelda-like games, and very weird.

However, you should not play Front Mission and should instead play Gunhazard.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know that I'd go that far but man do I hate the loving remake. It's amazing how much they managed to make me not like one of my favorite games.

I get irrationally angry every time I start thinking about that loving remake. Lufia 2 was the only good game in the whole series, it's kind of depressing.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I get irrationally angry every time I start thinking about that loving remake. Lufia 2 was the only good game in the whole series, it's kind of depressing.

To be fair though, the Lufia 2 DS soundtrack was an amazing godsend, no matter how terrible the game was.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 3, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Variant_Eris posted:

To be fair though, Lufia 2's soundtrack was an amazing godsend, no matter how terrible the game was.

Gonna assume you meant Lufia 2 remake's soundtrack here, 'cos if not and you're saying the SNES Lufia 2 was terrible, we gon' fite (edit: ok, we good)

Trails in the Sky question: I think I've got Olivier on a more permanent basis now (middle of Ch1, I think) and it's making me think about orbments. Besides slotting earth to get Earth Wall wherever possible if I'm feeling cheesy, are there any real best practices to slotting these things?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not really, just do what seems fun. time magic is pretty good since its easy to setup and causes faint

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also several time orbs (Action, Cast, EP Cut) provide bonuses in battle that are universally useful, so it's in your best interests to have them equipped anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, Natural Doctrine is actually kind of... good? I was expecting a standard SRPG with a gently caress you difficulty level but it's more like X-COM and it doesn't seem that hard as long you don't rush stupidly ahead into situations. It does look like a PS2 game though.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Ciaphas posted:

Trails in the Sky question: I think I've got Olivier on a more permanent basis now (middle of Ch1, I think) and it's making me think about orbments. Besides slotting earth to get Earth Wall wherever possible if I'm feeling cheesy, are there any real best practices to slotting these things?
It's a pretty good idea to check the in-game help for spells, as between that and the orbment screen you can easily figure out what to slot where to get specific spells. I was slotting things semi-randomly until I realized I was kind of gimping my party by not giving them access to the stronger spells.

Also seconding time magic. It makes a lot of fights go much faster than they otherwise would.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sakurazuka posted:

Huh, Natural Doctrine is actually kind of... good? I was expecting a standard SRPG with a gently caress you difficulty level but it's more like X-COM and it doesn't seem that hard as long you don't rush stupidly ahead into situations. It does look like a PS2 game though.

yeah i agree with all of this

it doesn't look exactly like a ps2 game, but deffo an up ressed ps2 game

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
Better catch the Lufia 2 chat before it rolls around again in a few months. If anyone is interested in playing it (again or for the first time) there's a bug fix patch that knocks out the game's more egregious bugs (level zero/config/equip/garbage data on maps and some text boxes). No more wondering what level 99 of the Gruberik dungeon looks like!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Snyderman posted:

Better catch the Lufia 2 chat before it rolls around again in a few months. If anyone is interested in playing it (again or for the first time) there's a bug fix patch that knocks out the game's more egregious bugs (level zero/config/equip/garbage data on maps and some text boxes). No more wondering what level 99 of the Gruberik dungeon looks like!

oooh link please

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Hey guys I've got the RPG itch but it's been a loooong time. I need a PC title, something from Steam would be nice. I like party based RPG's, I'm not picky about whether it's fantasy or magitek or steampunk or whatever. I loved the FF series up through about 8, where it lost me on it's decreasing challenge and over-the-top melodrama. I am not really into the first person RPG's.

Send help?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Trails in the Sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

hubris.height posted:

oooh link please

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/229/

Here you go. I've played using it with no problems. It even uses the harder Gades fight and Erim casts a few of more of the harder hitting spells so it's a bit more challenging in the last dungeon.

Snyderman fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 3, 2015