Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Just realized that 9 volt makes the sharp plug useless. That's pretty stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I think it's pretty stupid that the sharp plug can't be used when you have a partial charge. It's already a pretty decently steep cost to use anyways.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Iny posted:

I can't tell you with one hundred percent confidence that it never does, but people in this thread have consistently reported using it like two hundred times to find out the answer to this question without it ever happening.
I'm inclined to agree.

Wanted something like the Eden run I had the other day where I started with undefined and reached the chest with 9 volt + trickle charge. Because of the way seeds work, the I am error room always contained 1 item + a pertho rune and 2 of spades. So basically I could repeat the chest ad naseum and never run out of keys.The secret room was always in the same place with a key beggar that always payed out in just 4 plays without dropping any chests. A jera rune would always drop after one room. Then I'd get I am error and start again with 8 more gold chests.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 1, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I found out yesterday after using an emperor card that curse of the maze can proc on a teleport item, sending you to a different room than the teleportation target.

Incidentally, curse of the maze gargles balls

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Killed isaac without getting hit after 6 straight attempts to do it during the family man challenge (Had dead cat). Holy poo poo that challenge is tough sometimes. Scolex was hell to fight especially. Infested baby is the only reason that challenge isn't a complete slog.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

LibbyM posted:

Killed isaac without getting hit after 6 straight attempts to do it during the family man challenge (Had dead cat). Holy poo poo that challenge is tough sometimes. Scolex was hell to fight especially. Infested baby is the only reason that challenge isn't a complete slog.

Infested baby is basically my favorite buddy

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Bisnap has broken Isaac two videos in a row now. He actually crashed the game in the Mega Satan fight due to his tears.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I just finished a silly breaking run myself. No giant tears obscuring the entire screen, just the most efficient murder-machine I could make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwQUUeMan2g

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Ugh sometimes I feel like I'm the worst person in the universe at this game. It's probably not too far from the truth either. I just cannot play as ??? at all. He's the only one out of all my characters that ONLY has an It Lives! kill and nothing else.

I love soul hearts as much as the next guy but starting out with purely soul hearts apparently makes my brain shut off or something. It just makes it really hard for me to manage when I don't, at the very least, have one red heart I can refill with heart drops or whatever. The fact that all health up items "only" give you an extra soul heart and that devil deals are usually 3 soul hearts doesn't help either.

Also is it just confirmation bias or is ??? an extremely unlucky character? I keep getting absolutely poo poo items in item rooms, I keep getting 10 awful pills before I see a neutral/good one. I get a lot of card drops strangely but then it's poo poo like "The Sun" or something that is in theory a good card but really not exactly helpful when playing as ???.

Last but not least, someone please explain the Isaac fight in the Cathedral to me. I've beaten him many times but it still eludes me how to evade his heaven beams. The first couple he does just after he gets up are purely luck based since they just shine down wherever they want. Sometimes I don't even have to try to evade them and sometimes they just appear on me immediately because the game hates me and it's like 100% guaranteed damage.

What gets me the most are the room-filling heaven beams in his third (I think?) phase. The first two times you can avoid them by standing in the corner across from where they start. The third time though you can't apparently? Is it just unavoidable damage or is there actually a safe spot somewhere that maybe if I had the reactions of a young whippersnapper I could move to and avoid damage? That poo poo just ruined my first good ??? run in ages and I'm really mad at videogames right now :mad:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

abraxas posted:

Also is it just confirmation bias or is ??? an extremely unlucky character? I keep getting absolutely poo poo items in item rooms, I keep getting 10 awful pills before I see a neutral/good one. I get a lot of card drops strangely but then it's poo poo like "The Sun" or something that is in theory a good card but really not exactly helpful when playing as ???.

The only characters with a different starting luck than Isaac (0) are Cain (1), Lazarus (-1 pre-revival), and Eden (0 + random amount).

quote:

Last but not least, someone please explain the Isaac fight in the Cathedral to me. I've beaten him many times but it still eludes me how to evade his heaven beams. The first couple he does just after he gets up are purely luck based since they just shine down wherever they want. Sometimes I don't even have to try to evade them and sometimes they just appear on me immediately because the game hates me and it's like 100% guaranteed damage.

What gets me the most are the room-filling heaven beams in his third (I think?) phase. The first two times you can avoid them by standing in the corner across from where they start. The third time though you can't apparently? Is it just unavoidable damage or is there actually a safe spot somewhere that maybe if I had the reactions of a young whippersnapper I could move to and avoid damage? That poo poo just ruined my first good ??? run in ages and I'm really mad at videogames right now :mad:

I just run down to the bottom of the screen and stand perfectly still. I cannot remember the last time I got hit doing this.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
The trick to Isaacs big crack the skies is to go to a corner adjacent to the starting corner. The opposite corner is only safe half the time.

The little crack the sky doesn't usually hit the edges, but for the first 2 phases you should be hugging the wall anyway.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Ariong posted:

I just run down to the bottom of the screen and stand perfectly still. I cannot remember the last time I got hit doing this.
That definitely gets you hit sometimes.

I just stand perfectly still wherever, works better.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
If the beams start top left, you want to hug the top right corner, and vice versa. If you get there in time you won't get hit.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I have an upside down cross on Isaac's post-it but I don't have mom's knife unlocked? Is the wiki wrong

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Ofc as soon as I ask about it I find it. I'm dumb, I didn't realized you had to find an item to make it appear on the grid.

Just beat the boss rush for the first time!! My item choices were kinda crappy: tiny planet, arrow and the zodiac that gives piercing tears, and ball of tar. Went with ball of tar since i had mom's knife and the piercing was redundant. And I kinda hate tiny planet. Also mom's knife is super strong yall.

Whew, what a...RUSH! my adrenaline is pumpin.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
If you have problems with getting hit, the trick to blue baby is maximizing your soulheart output or general ability to tank hits. Restart until you get what you feel is a good item in your first treasure room. Bombing tinted rocks is almost always a better use of your bombs than looking for secret rooms with him. If you don't find tinted rocks, bomb groups of skulls to look for black hearts. Fortune machines are the best arcade use of your cash, since they can drop soul hearts or the heirophant card along with trinkets. The left hand trinket will cause more red chests to spawn and potentially drop goodies for you. If you're on PS4, the dark bum will still be pretty great and converts at a 1.5 to 1 ratio. If you're on PC, he just shits spiders everywhere because Ed is an rear end in a top hat and nerfed him completely into the ground due to a handful of 'OP' crybabies.

abraxas posted:

On the room-sweeping crack the sky, the corner directly down from where they start has been safe 100% of the time for me in around 70 Isaac kills thus far. If you can't make it into that corner in time, go to the bottom of the screen and do your best bet on where the pattern won't hit.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
I have an infinite Monster Manual set-up right now. Will I be able to get both Meat Boy and Bandage Girl, or does the game limit you to one per run?

EvilSlug posted:

If you're on PS4, the dark bum will still be pretty great and converts at a 1.5 to 1 ratio. If you're on PC, he just shits spiders everywhere because Ed is an rear end in a top hat and nerfed him completely into the ground due to a handful of 'OP' crybabies.

This is categorically untrue. Dark Bum still drops soul hearts significantly more than spiders. (The spiders have a chance to be friendly, too; not as good as a soul heart, but definitely not bad.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm really not sure what people have done to magically break probability but the dark bum still shits out soul hearts the vast majority of the time to the point where i'm genuinely surprised when a hostile spider comes out

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Blue baby can also make use of the jar with the way special rooms work. Collect useless red hearts, find super secret room, are there black or soul hearts in it? Use the jar to convert your stored red hearts. It works the same way with hematemesis pills.

Jar is secretly OP as heck.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Skaw posted:

Blue baby can also make use of the jar with the way special rooms work. Collect useless red hearts, find super secret room, are there black or soul hearts in it? Use the jar to convert your stored red hearts. It works the same way with hematemesis pills.

Jar is secretly OP as heck.

Oh poo poo, I never realized those rooms worked in that way—just the one with all the red hearts.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have literally never seen Dark Bum drop a red spider, and he's only dropped blue ones about 10% of the time.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Rollersnake posted:

Oh poo poo, I never realized those rooms worked in that way—just the one with all the red hearts.

I just never think about doing any of that stuff. I've also been brainwashed on not giving a poo poo about health since my Lost runs though.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
All I need for platinum god now is missing no. and guardian angel. For maximum angel room chance I just need to be taking no red heart damage and not taking devil deals right? Rosary bead increases my chances if I find it, does the rosary pickup also help? and is there anything else I can do to increase my chance? I'm doing isaac runs and basically never taking red heart damage and avoiding all devil deals for hearts and I'm very rarely getting angel rooms.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

kemikalkadet posted:

All I need for platinum god now is missing no. and guardian angel. For maximum angel room chance I just need to be taking no red heart damage and not taking devil deals right? Rosary bead increases my chances if I find it, does the rosary pickup also help? and is there anything else I can do to increase my chance? I'm doing isaac runs and basically never taking red heart damage and avoiding all devil deals for hearts and I'm very rarely getting angel rooms.

The Rosary bead increases the chance of an Angel room to 75%. Of course if you accept a devil deal, that goes out the window. The Rosary pickup does not affect Angel rooms. It just adds the Bible pickup to every item pool twice. Funnily enough, this means that Satan can offer you a Bible in a devil room.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Mad Jaqk posted:

I have an infinite Monster Manual set-up right now. Will I be able to get both Meat Boy and Bandage Girl, or does the game limit you to one per run?

This is categorically untrue. Dark Bum still drops soul hearts significantly more than spiders. (The spiders have a chance to be friendly, too; not as good as a soul heart, but definitely not bad.)
You can get both with the infinite manual. Your only problem is if the game crashes before you pop the second of the two. Might take you a long rear end time; but you can definitely build both with infinite manual if the game doesn't crash.

Since the second PC nerf, the dark bum has poo poo more spiders on me than soul hearts. That's not hyperbole. I actually stopped picking him up and couldn't figure out why anybody was still using him since that patch. My bigger issue with dark bum is that he was just fine after the initial tuning and he wasn't a bug fix like the rest of the game changes thus far. Cobalt and company bitched about him nonstop from release; because it would ruin the racing they want to do. I hate seeing things singled out and targeted due to the whims of a small portion of a playerbase. It's a bad precedent to set. People like me never needed him in any format; but a casual player NEEDS stuff like the dark bum and really can't afford surprise spiders when they're struggling to even make it to Mom on any given run.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Picking up one of the key pieces supposedly also raises your chance of getting additional Angel rooms, so try to do that.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Oh gosh darnit, I just beat Mom's Heart for the third time and the achievement didn't trigger (PS4). Does anyone know if it's gone forever? I seem to be connected to PSN fine

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

cryptoclastic posted:

If the beams start top left, you want to hug the top right corner, and vice versa. If you get there in time you won't get hit.
No really, if you stand still when isaac teleports the beam pattern wont hit you. You can stand in the center of the screen and not get hit.

Rollersnake posted:

In the original BoI it worked only for non-specific red heart drops, but apparently that is not the case in Rebirth! It even works with the bloody penny trinket now. Too bad red heart containers are just spirit heart capacity downgrades. :(

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

PantsBandit posted:

This is like the one game that I actually enjoy watching streams of. I've taken to watching cobaltstreak do a run before going to bed, it's oddly relaxing.
That guy is really good but sometimes his gimmick/persona gets really grating to me.
That said Bisnap is bitter as gently caress lately it seems so welp. :v:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
So Northernlion just had a pretty good run

that makes all the lost acheivements in like a dozen total runs for him.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

senae posted:

Without having ever gotten the holy mantle or 9 lives, too.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

o.m. 94 posted:

Oh gosh darnit, I just beat Mom's Heart for the third time and the achievement didn't trigger (PS4). Does anyone know if it's gone forever? I seem to be connected to PSN fine

you're european right? if so wait for the patch somewhere this year (maybe?) and hope it unlocks since we still haven't gotten that patch yet. if not, idk. game is notoriously buggy with unlocking that poo poo

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

senae posted:

That's more insane than his 1st successful Lost run. :stare:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Davincie posted:

you're european right? if so wait for the patch somewhere this year (maybe?) and hope it unlocks since we still haven't gotten that patch yet. if not, idk. game is notoriously buggy with unlocking that poo poo

Oh yeah I forgot we're like 3 versions behind PC. Maybe by that point getting three MH kills on a new save won't be too much stress anyway

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Samuel Clemens posted:

Picking up one of the key pieces supposedly also raises your chance of getting additional Angel rooms, so try to do that.

Oh yeah I forgot about this, I've been bombing the first angel statue I find then rerolling both pedestals. Will definitely pick up the first key half now.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Dark Bum is still ridiculously powerful, yall are crazy.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Yeah even after the changes I may not get as many piles of hearts but I hardly ever get red spiders

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

senae posted:

Why does that guy hate the Haunt so much? he seems like one of the easiest bosses.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The big ghost itself is really easy to take down. It's the little ghosts that are the hard part. If you don't have a good starting item, it can be hard to take them down. They actually lead their shots and try to corner you, and getting hit once as The Lost is game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I really don't have heart to reunlock all that bullshit. There was an update and cheat engine doesn't work anymore and I'm basically waiting for all my progress to get reset again.

That, and I've attempted three times now to unlock the Lost and it's not working. I thought you could use seeds for the first three steps, but I can't loving make it happen.

I just had an epic fetus Eden run where I got the pentagram, growth hormones, synthoil, and crickets body by the caves II and died because I lost all my soul hearts to that room with four straight shooting wall spiders because they are immune to the missiles behind the unbreakable rocks, so I had to maneuver to the side to kill any of them.

What's the point of playing if I'm not going to get anywhere?

e: Why is there no indicator for when fire mind is going to proc an explosion. Of all the invisible procs, it's the one that can hurt you.

MatildaTheHun fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 3, 2015