Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Is rolling less punishable now? I fought one guy who was Samus and just continuously rolled. Tried grabbing and smashing for the most part and I couldn't hit him. Do certain characters have more of an i-frame with rolling or something or was I just being lovely?

Also Shulk is loving annoying. BACKSLASH BACKSLASH BACKSLASH BACKSLASH BACKSLASH BACKSLASH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Is rolling less punishable now? I fought one guy who was Samus and just continuously rolled. Tried grabbing and smashing for the most part and I couldn't hit him. Do certain characters have more of an i-frame with rolling or something or was I just being lovely?

Also Shulk is loving annoying. BACKSLASH BACKSLASH BACKSLASH BACKSLASH BACKSLASH BACKSLASH

No rolls are just really really good, and the window on hitting someone in one is somewhat tight.

Sakurai's vision is you shouldn't be hit if you don't want to be hit.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

No rolls are just really really good, and the window on hitting someone in one is somewhat tight.

Sakurai's vision is you shouldn't be hit if you don't want to be hit.
Rolling is a key part of playing Ike so I am glad of this.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

From my experience, doing nothing but reflecting annoys people a lot more than constantly backslashing. Had a couple guys that both switched to Shulk and did nothing but reflect constantly for a few matches.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Kewpuh posted:

pretty much but you leave yourself open to a lot of bullshit with how slow he is and how much faster they are

forward tilt stops pretty much everything. stick that hammer out and spin.

also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4VrwcTsHjc

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
the reactions to sakurai have deepened my appreciation of the smash series :)

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I know I probably just played against a 12yo but quickly managed a snap of 'Sakurai.' Randomly got them in For Fun yesterday too for one round. Yesterday he was Pikachu and just avoided people. Today he was Link and just watched people.

Oh and I was Wario, spamming my bike, cackling and farting. Got 4 kills.

Andrew_1985 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 3, 2015

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Little Mac is totally Mario's nephew.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Andrew_1985 posted:

I know I probably just played against a 12yo but quickly managed a snap of 'Sakurai.' Randomly got them in For Fun yesterday too for one round. Yesterday he was Pikachu and just avoided people. Today he was Link and just watched people.

Oh and I was Wario, spamming my bike, cackling and farting. Got 4 kills.

It was him.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

The other two were also him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7E3i7lNHIfk

Still dissatisfied with Megaman glitching out their first crossover fighting game together, Pac-man decides to one-up him.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheKingofSprings posted:

Still dissatisfied with Megaman glitching out their first crossover fighting game together, Pac-man decides to one-up him.

This is a level of genius I can't even begin to describe.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

TheKingofSprings posted:

What's the simple solution to this, then? Team Attack on, so they footstool each other?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

competitively its irrelevant because they dont use sudden death and team attack is on and stalling tactics are banned

in for glory, just catch them in the sudden death before they get too high

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

:drat: That's some top-shelf tomfoolery right there.

It wouldn't work in a tournament-sanctioned 2v2, though, because they turn team attack on and the bounce up counts as an attack. They'd kill each other at the top!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Deviant posted:

What's the simple solution to this, then? Team Attack on, so they footstool each other?

Only one bro is equipped to handle a menace of this magnitude.....

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Deviant posted:

Team Attack so they hit each other, you only Footstool someone if you hit jump when you're on them, but the Up+B would cause them to hit each other, though I'm sure you could try and avoid each other since Pac-Man get's a good amount of sideways movement with his recovery.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Sakurai was right, this game has no future.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I've unlocked all of the challenge grid on the 3DS Smash except for "Clear Classic on 9.0 or Higher" Even managed to do through Cruel Smash challenges without using a hammer!

Any advice? 75 hours in and I've almost 100% completed this game.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Astro7x posted:

So I've unlocked all of the challenge grid on the 3DS Smash except for "Clear Classic on 9.0 or Higher" Even managed to do through Cruel Smash challenges without using a hammer!

Custom equipment. Now tell me how you farmed for mii headgear and we're even.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Astro7x posted:

I did with no equipment and ROB. If you're competent, the path to Master Core is just a slog, but Master Core is just memorization of tells. All of his moves can be dodged if you know the timing. Practice practice practice.

Also, I realized today that Villager/Shulk is a good character stable, since they cover each other's problem matchups pretty well... except Sheik. I'm not sure what to do against her.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

Is there anything good going on with the Mii fighter classes? I just got the game and I want to unleash the abominations I call Miis upon the world without getting smashed.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

nexas posted:

Is there anything good going on with the Mii fighter classes? I just got the game and I want to unleash the abominations I call Miis upon the world without getting smashed.

Mii Brawler is really freaking good.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Slur posted:

Custom equipment. Now tell me how you farmed for mii headgear and we're even.

Target Blast. Pause and look for a wrench, if you don't see one then restart.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

mabels big day posted:

Mii Brawler is really freaking good.

Gunner is also good if you want to be a not bad version of Samus.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Just don't touch the Swordfighter, it's just bad. As in, real bad.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

nexas posted:

mii brawler has a sweetspot with his piston punch up b. get it right and you can ko people straight up at like 0-10%. easiest way is to grab someone, down thrown, then up b. only the first hit will connect and thats the one that will gently caress people up.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Now that he's not spending every waking moment of his life being a perfectionist over Smash Bros., Sakurai has returned to posting images of his cat over twitter.

Cute cat picture or potential DLC hint?
You decide.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Why are Mii Swordfighters considered trash anyway? I don't really care for the playstyle but nothing really stood out as completely unworkable to me.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
What does "buster" mode mean for Shulk?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

thathonkey posted:

Increased damage output and input. Basically, everyone's percentage is going up faster.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

thathonkey posted:

You deal and receive more damage than normal. You also do less knockback than usual but you take the same amount as normal.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Buster does actually reduce your knockback defense too, but only a little bit.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

thathonkey posted:

Less knockback on your attacks, higher damage given and I think taken and I think you take more knockback.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I'll be on and off for the next few hours if anyone wants to play. Also add me to the OP if that's cool.

nnid: Zuquaz

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://imgur.com/hfiFyAe I guess this is a visual representation of the rankings that just came out from Anther's Smash 4 ladder?

Goes from left to right so Diddy's number 1 and Sheik's number 2.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Why is Luigi so high?

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Because the Year of Luigi never ends. :colbert:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Little Mac posted:

Why is Luigi so high?
Who do you main in the new Smash Bros.?