Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Far Cry 1 still is my favorite. Although the story is worthless and was probably written on a bar napkin I still beat it multiple times and I even enjoyed fighting the trigens. The MP5 was so awesome in that game PEW PEW PEW. The last level in the volcano however can eat a bag of dicks that poo poo was really hard. And if you even paid attention to the story the ending is a complete and utter let down.

Far Cry 2 I played for about 4 or 5 hours. The constant checkpoint respawning after just clearing them just made me uninstall the game. I might reinstall it and give it a go as I've read they fixed the checkpoint spawning.

Far Cry 3 is good. But most the characters were quite annoying and I just played it like I was a T-800 and just killed anything that moved. Ziggy's Mod really improved the game 100 fold though and I highly recommend everyone give it a try, its worth it and makes the game much much better gameplay wise.

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheSpiritFox posted:

I just picked this back up and am surprised there is no link to the mods in the OP. Can anyone link me to whoever is practicing voodoo to give me silencers on everything, cause some recent patch broke what I had.

I'm waiting for people to start finding ones they like. I play on ps4, so I have to rely on what people in the thread are saying, and so far it doesn't seem like there's any that are must haves. Just really quickly done basic poo poo that deals with weapons attachments and things like that. It might be a while til we get something like Ziggy's for it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Michaellaneous posted:

e: Also, did someone take the time and check if the MG42 really has a firerate 1200 RPM?

1200-1350 RPM last I checked. I think it can go a bit faster than that, provided the correct parts are used.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I

Capn Beeb posted:

1200-1350 RPM last I checked. I think it can go a bit faster than that, provided the correct parts are used.

I meant in game, and I don't think you can change parts there.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
I do kind of wish the people who write stories for videogames would either actually make choices have consequences or stop beating me over the head with "choices have consequences" (i.e. something really bad is going to happen no matter what you do, just depends on what).

IMO stories are just better when there's a hero or antihero somewhere in them and they accomplish something worthwhile. Having an ending be "you literally should have not played this game because now everything is awful and theres not even a faint hope or moral victory" is just really lovely. I really think they just need to hard commit to the weird spirit world aspect of the games affecting the main story somehow. I really really wanted completing the Shangri-la sections to have some effect on the main story or something. Completing those felt like it meant something, but it just kind of trails off and goes nowhere.

Pagan Min, at least, is my favorite videogame antagonist in a long time, possibly ever.

That said I decided maybe I'd go back and have a go at finishing Farcry 3 since it was just obnoxious rather than depressing, and I'd remembered at the time that it has like, stunning, gorgeous graphics that taxed the hell out of my computer at the time.

I kept mentally comparing the FC3 foliage to Mercenaries 2, which I've also been replaying. The game looks good but going between the two it's just amazing how good Far Cry 4 looks for running pretty smoothly on some aging hardware. The setting also works amazingly for showing off what the engine can do.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

loving lol at Ajay getting drugged up all the loving time.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Skeezy posted:

Yeah it feels like "Man, this weed fire mission was really cool in FC3, with all the lights and weed dubstep. We gotta do this ALL the loving time. No, no. Don't got halfway. ALL the time."

What I am saying is that it kinda gets old a bit after a while.

e: The weed dubstep mission in FC3 was loving awesome.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Far Cry is about taking drugs, snapping your wrist back in to place, and blowing up endangered species with high explosives.

Edit: I thought the weed mission from FC3 sucked, I generally liked the drug missions in FC4 though. Ramping a jet ski off of imaginary ramps while the whole world goes nuts around you sure why not.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Skeezy posted:

The Prison mission was a loving stupid one because Ajay has spent the entire game pretty much as high as gently caress thanks to Yogi and Reggie, and he's killed those loving things in Shangri-La when he trips out after viewing the painting.

So why the gently caress do I have to run and hide from these things when I could just easily take that bent piece of metal meant for the hook and stab it through them like I have with absolutely everything else, imaginary or not, that has crossed my path.

Here's how the prison escape should have gone:

Yuma injects you with the drugs: Ajay laughs it off, because he's spent hours with Yogi and Reggie dropping every single hallucinogen on the god drat island constantly, breaks free, kills everyone and blows the place up.

Pagan drastically rethinks his drug based prison system.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Michaellaneous posted:

I meant in game, and I don't think you can change parts there.

Oh, I have no idea where to find the in game numbers, whoops :downs:

Ddraig posted:

Yuma injects you with the drugs: Ajay laughs it off, because he's spent hours with Yogi and Reggie dropping every single hallucinogen on the god drat island constantly, breaks free, kills everyone and blows the place up.

Pagan drastically rethinks his drug based prison system.

Ajay explores the prison and finds newer and better drugs and goes mad with power and turns on the Golden Path and Pagan is all :ohdear: what have I done :ohdear:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Clearly Far Cry 5 should just be a non-stop drug fueled rampage where the story is nothing but pieces of dialog and scenes that randomly show up from exploration or killing. Just have the whole thing be Alice in Wonderland completely off the rails so we can kill Indian Elephant Gods or our own shadow that won't stop reading Naked Lunch out loud. You can even have it start in the 1960s for all we care.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Far Cry 5 is set during Vietnam.

Turns out the entire plot is just the induced hallucination caused by a strange reaction of all the acid you dropped in high school combined with exposure to Agent Orange.

The end of the game, the twist is that it was all in your mind and you're a double-amputee living in an underpass because your government has abandoned you.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I will not have you belittle the best mission in the game ddraig.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's kind of dumb, really.

The best mission was with Willis, actually, at the airport.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
No way. It was such a brilliant change of pace. I'm Rambo bitch, I'm Rambo bitch, I'm Rambo bi-wha...what is this? Is this loving Silent Hill? Oh god oh poo poo :nms:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ajay just never reacts to when someone pulls out a syringe lol.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The guy pulls out bullets with any metal rod he can find. At this point he's contracted so many weird local diseases and done so many drugs that they all cancel each other out.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Willis was probably my favorite character in Far Cry 3

Other than Vaas, he was probably the one character that was done really well. They kind of throw you for a loop in thinking that maybe he's the American equivalent of one of those Japanese holdouts who doesn't actually realize that he's been forgotten about, and you kind of doubt everything he's saying but it turns out he is legit, just a bit of a lunatic.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I like to imagine that at the end of any recent Far Cry game, the protagonist is completely unscathed apart from having a completely hosed up left arm with countless fractures and bullet holes.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

So many shards of glass in his left hand. :gonk:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

Other than Vaas, he was probably the one character that was done really well. They kind of throw you for a loop in thinking that maybe he's the American equivalent of one of those Japanese holdouts who doesn't actually realize that he's been forgotten about, and you kind of doubt everything he's saying but it turns out he is legit, just a bit of a lunatic.

I really want to kill him soon.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Volkerball posted:

I really want to kill him soon.
You will bring the full wrath of the American government down on your head.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ddraig posted:

Speaking of which, the way they handled the ending of Vaas's arc was monumentally stupid. The first time I played the game, I had no idea that I actually had killed him. Then they replaced him with a shittier villain.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

You will bring the full wrath of the American government down on your head.

Could you imagine the shitfit if there was a game where you kill American soldiers? :munch:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Could you imagine the shitfit if there was a game where you kill American soldiers? :munch:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I still haven't played that one, but I know people were pissed about it. I didn't know they killed US soldiers though. I thought it was like "Hey guess what, everyone you've been massacring is actually innocent/justified."

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Volkerball posted:

I still haven't played that one, but I know people were pissed about it. I didn't know they killed US soldiers though. I thought it was like "Hey guess what, everyone you've been massacring is actually innocent/justified."

I don't think I heard much angry outcry about it, but it is a really loving good game that actually has very subtle and meaningfull choices, and actual sense of despair and a story that will make you feel like an utter shitheel.

And yes, you slaughter hundreds of american soldiers.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Naw, US forces - as well as quite a few people implied to be civilians - become the primary enemy (including the player character :iamafag:) fairly soonish into the game.

Game's worth playing even if it was as its strongest when nobody knew what to expect. You can blow through it in a few hours.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Its an ok game. Honestly, I am in the camp that thinks it fucks up what it was trying to say. But yeah, the primary enemy after the first level or so is US soldiers.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I've been playing for a few days and one of the things that strikes me is how much more active the game world is than 3. I'm constantly wandering into random patrols and Karma Events. I get attacked by animals all the time. Any hostages I rescue are doomed to be eaten by dogs. Finding a nice place to hide and silently pick-off guards unmolested is rare. Sometimes everything runs together into one big ball of couriers and cargo trucks and fire fights and rhino attacks.

It's awesome when your just loving around but aggravating sometimes when your actually trying to do something. I was looking for a mask near the monastery and it was almost non-stop things trying to kill me. Finally I got caught between a pack of Dholes and some soldiers and equipped a repair tool somehow instead of a gun and just died. I didn't even know I had one. Later an ATV flew out of the bushes and killed me.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I haven't used any snipers yet, but the composite bow with the added sight attachment has been really all I need. That plus the grenade launcher that applies as a sidearm and I can tackle anything. Also shotguns sound and feel really satisfying, love blowing up 3 dogs one after another before they tear my ankles off.

I've not played any of the other Far Cries, but having just played Red Faction: Guerilla, it's amazingly similar in how "emergent" missions take place (Tail the courier, stop the shipments, etc). The main thing I like in 4 is that when you hear a cry rumbling around a bend, you don't always know if it's friend, foe, or civilian so I end up hiding and watching it pass which is a fun feeling. The Radio towers start to feel kind of samey. It was a cool intro mission but the fact that EVERY single tower is the same, run down piece of poo poo with uniquely placed jumps is kind of a bummer. Tackling outposts never gets old, figuring the best way to approach them is fun. I was kinda stoked when I looted my very first body and found a condom and some heroin, but then got a bit bummed when I found out those are different forms of money. Would have been cool if junk items had some other application, even if it was just throwing them at people.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

rocket_Magnet posted:

Jesus, why can't it be reach arena master rank 5 to unlock the bushman? I've tried out the app but you get gently caress all in the way of experience from it's matches as well. The thing that gave me the most xp was creating challenges for other players and them playing it. Someone go play my arena challenges so I can unlock this stupid loving gun already. uplay name r0cketm4gnet (because uplay is retarded and has locked me out of my old account).

edit: now I feel like a massive idiot :downs:, I had no idea you could fight those guys more than once, that makes things a lot easier.

Another good thing about the arena master app is that for repeat playthroughs you don't have to do it again. Your level in the app doesn't reset when you start a new game. In the actual game you do have to get to the first Noore story mission though - technically the first Yogi mission - and then do one arena fight (and get killed immediately if you prefer to speed things up), and the bushman will be unlocked.

Although I have to wonder a bit if it doesn't reset even w/o the app, some people mentioned that some guns were unlocked early when they started a new game. I haven't noticed any, but I didn't start a new game until after the 1.6 update so I have to wonder if that was a bug.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Skeezy posted:

I never played Far Cry 1+2 but do those have the same "issue" where the villain is more interesting that the protagonist?

The Jackal wasn't that interesting but I guess that's 'more interesting' by default than the silent protagonist that the player character is.

So yeah.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Daily Forecast posted:

The Jackal wasn't that interesting but I guess that's 'more interesting' by default than the silent protagonist that the player character is.

So yeah.

Given that FC3 showed us that the protagonist can actually have a negative value, silent isn't too bad.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah this game needs a Blood Dragon-Essie side-game. Not the same theme, but something that utilizes the mechanics.

Also I wouldn't mind FC5 to be entirely fantastical. Demons, spirit tigers, poo poo like that has been cool. Don't trivialize it as a hallucination or a dream. Just make like "Mike Lazarus: Cryptozoological Demon Hunter." You hunt gryphons and dragons and poo poo, and demons, and maybe you use the mechanics of FAR CRY but the theme and formula of Monster Hunter...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Feenix posted:

Yeah this game needs a Blood Dragon-Essie side-game. Not the same theme, but something that utilizes the mechanics.

Also I wouldn't mind FC5 to be entirely fantastical. Demons, spirit tigers, poo poo like that has been cool. Don't trivialize it as a hallucination or a dream. Just make like "Mike Lazarus: Cryptozoological Demon Hunter." You hunt gryphons and dragons and poo poo, and demons, and maybe you use the mechanics of FAR CRY but the theme and formula of Monster Hunter...

wouldn't buy that one tbh

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Bushman loving owns and is worth the time messing with the app.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Skeezy posted:

The Bushman loving owns and is worth the time messing with the app.

It's worth even doing it the slow way and unlocking it via leveling up in the Arena, which is what I did.

I'm also really enjoying the SA-50, even though I'd been using the M-700 exclusively and had to readjust to the SA-50 being semi-auto as opposed to bolt action.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Volkerball posted:

I was pissed about Spec-Ops: The Line, but because it was a pretty meh cover-based shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Clearly Far Cry 5 should just be a non-stop drug fueled rampage where the story is nothing but pieces of dialog and scenes that randomly show up

Isn't that Hotline Miami?

• Locked thread