Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Daler Mehndi posted:

It's a pretty good idea to check the in-game help for spells, as between that and the orbment screen you can easily figure out what to slot where to get specific spells. I was slotting things semi-randomly until I realized I was kind of gimping my party by not giving them access to the stronger spells.

Also seconding time magic. It makes a lot of fights go much faster than they otherwise would.
It's too short unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DiHK posted:

Hey guys I've got the RPG itch but it's been a loooong time. I need a PC title, something from Steam would be nice. I like party based RPG's, I'm not picky about whether it's fantasy or magitek or steampunk or whatever. I loved the FF series up through about 8, where it lost me on it's decreasing challenge and over-the-top melodrama. I am not really into the first person RPG's.

Send help?

Anachronox.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Trails in the Sky.

Those both look pretty great, thanks!

I forgot to mention that Baldurs Gate is my all time fav.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
you know what i forgot about that equip text bug but even as a kid i noticed that poo poo

how did that make it to a retail game

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Rascyc posted:

Ya it's fully playable but IIRC it's a pretty atrocious translation. Which is really not a big deal because nobody ever understands what the gently caress is going on in a Romancing Saga game anyway.

Just don't bother with the stupid war game, and I want to say the trading minigame is pretty bizarre too

You can get extra copies of otherwise unique or unavailable top-tier equipment from the war/kingdom minigame, but it's only fully available to one character anyway. The trading game was sorta fun but as far as I recall all you really get for it is some money.

Aside from Romancing Saga 3's translation patch being made by some dude who's proficient in neither Japanese nor English, the game itself is buggy and unfinished in places, explains itself poorly enough that it's not always easy to tell a bug from an obscure game mechanic, and has a kinda unbalanced and frustratingly random combat system (but, well, that's SaGa for you). It's definitely an interesting game despite all that, but don't expect polish.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

DiHK posted:

Hey guys I've got the RPG itch but it's been a loooong time. I need a PC title, something from Steam would be nice. I like party based RPG's, I'm not picky about whether it's fantasy or magitek or steampunk or whatever. I loved the FF series up through about 8, where it lost me on it's decreasing challenge and over-the-top melodrama. I am not really into the first person RPG's.

Send help?

Recettear is $5 on Steam right now and it's supposed to be really good. i picked it up but can't report back yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Antares posted:

Recettear is $5 on Steam right now and it's supposed to be really good. i picked it up but can't report back yet.

It is good but there are some frustratingly random elements. Also, I seem to recall that the best way to barter was different from what the game said, though I forget the specifics. Might be a good thing to look up, is all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DiHK posted:

Send help?
Dragon Age: Inquisition is pretty good if you want a western option (and your PC can handle it). Origins is meh and 2 is awful, but Inquisition is good.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

It is good but there are some frustratingly random elements. Also, I seem to recall that the best way to barter was different from what the game said, though I forget the specifics. Might be a good thing to look up, is all.

IIRC it involved you getting to a losing state because your customers never 'upgrade' their budget.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Endorph posted:

Dragon Age: Inquisition is pretty good if you want a western option (and your PC can handle it). Origins is meh and 2 is awful, but Inquisition is good.

Bit of a mix-up to me. 2 is indeed awful, but Origins had a tighter focus than Inquisition. I'd just go Origins then Inquisition with imported choices if the first game was fun enough for you. Especially since it is quite a bit cheaper.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Kild posted:

IIRC it involved you getting to a losing state because your customers never 'upgrade' their budget.

Specifically, you don't want to haggle for maximum price like you'd think because going for each customers' "ideal" markup lets you get a combo bonus if you do it repeatedly, and it makes the customers like your store better more quickly (so they bring more money).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Lufia 2 was the only good game in the whole series, it's kind of depressing.

So it's OK to play Lufia 2 first? You don't miss anything by skipping the first?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

So it's OK to play Lufia 2 first? You don't miss anything by skipping the first?

Lufia 2 is a prequel. The opening of Lufia 1 is actually the ending of Lufia 2 (more or less.) Skipping it actually maintains some surprises although it's has a lot of 'foreshadowing' for things that happen in Lufia 1.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lufia 2 actually takes place before the first game. In fact, the opening of the first game completely spoils the second.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Huh, didn't know that. I played (never beat) the first game a long time ago and have forgotten all about it pretty much. That makes it easier for me though!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 3, 2015

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Help, RPG thread, I have a lot of nostalgia for Quest 64 and need something like it but more modern. I have a PC, PS3, Vita, Wii U, and 3DS.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My RPG story of the day is that Mother 3 is really good and I wish I had started it sooner.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sjonkel posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what Snes rpg's do people recommend? Only tried Chrono Trigger which is pretty amazing, and I'm sure there are more games out there that I've never heard of as well.

How did no one mention Live-a-Live, ffs

Edit: Rudra no Hihou is also fantastic just for how surreal it is

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 3, 2015

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

It never actually got out of Japan, so only a few people actually played it.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I've never touched the Suikoden series outside of the first half-hour of 5 and a good chunk of Exit Fate (assuming that counts), so I want to try my hand at 1 and 2. I know they're on PSN, but I've also heard talk of them being bad ports I think? What's the best way to play them?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Golden Battler posted:

I've never touched the Suikoden series outside of the first half-hour of 5 and a good chunk of Exit Fate (assuming that counts), so I want to try my hand at 1 and 2. I know they're on PSN, but I've also heard talk of them being bad ports I think? What's the best way to play them?

They're the original game (PS1 games on PSN are straight emulation) and pretty much the only way to play them in English, so..

The EU version of S2 has some bug fixes because the NA version was a rushjob, but it's not necessary and if you want to play the games on PSP/3/V just get them off PSN.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can S2 actually be transferred to a PSP?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Golden Battler posted:

Suikoden 2's port has some minor issues with a version of the war music not playing, but the game is still fully playable and there's not really any other way to get the fixed version without emulation.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

dmboogie posted:

Suikoden 2's port has some minor issues with a version of the war music not playing, but the game is still fully playable and there's not really any other way to get the fixed version without emulation.

Actually, while it's perfectly playable, it does have some serious issues, such as being able to sequence break, fuckery with the Suikoden 1 import, bug with the recipes (there's one that become impossible to get unless you're careful), Armory glitch... Here's a full list.

http://www.suikosource.com/games/bugs.php?game=gs2

It's still a very good game. I just recommend buying the game off of PSN, and then :filez:-ing an iso to patch that, unless you're jonesing to play on a Vita.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Golden Battler posted:

suikoden 1 is more or less bug-free, suikoden 2 has some bugs. if you are emulating or doing something with your legitimate iso that you ripped from the disc that you own then there is a fan patch for the iso that fixes the bugs.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Tonfa posted:

Edit: Rudra no Hihou is also fantastic just for how surreal it is

Rudra no Hihou has a really interesting plot mechanic with the multiple parties adventuring simultaneously and seeing how party 1's actions influence what happen in party 2 and 3's stories and vice versa. But from a gameplay standpoint it's just bad. Combat is just atrocious and dull as hell, with literally no distinction between characters other than their stats and what they can equip. The magic creation system had a lot of potential to be interesting, but quickly devolves into "see what cool spell the monsters are casting and copy it." Though it is kind of amusing that they set it up so that you could input spell names from other RPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and get the same effects. (Not sure if this made it through in any sort of translation)

It's kind of a shame because if they had put any serious effort into making the gameplay more fun it could have been an awesome game. It's like they had this one great idea about interacting storylines and then forgot that they had to attach a decent game to it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Machine posted:

Help, RPG thread, I have a lot of nostalgia for Quest 64 and need something like it but more modern. I have a PC, PS3, Vita, Wii U, and 3DS.

What do you like about Quest 64?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Did anyone play that Lisa RPG that came out recently? Was it any good?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

GrandpaPants posted:

I've heard some terrible things about it. Apparently, the game feels more like a slogging time loop than an actual game with gameplay/plot. In addition to that, I've heard that the control mapping is weird and actually inputs differently than what is shown on-screen.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I've heard nothing but praise for LISA, for both the gameplay and the plot so I am not sure where you are getting those negative reviews from. The thread in Games gives a decent overview of it, just avoid spoilers

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/16/side-scrolling-rpg-lisa-is-in-a-mess/

I didn't look into it further, mainly because I wasn't interested. Supposing that I purchase the game, what pointers should I look for?

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 3, 2015

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
The control mapping is the same as any other RPG Maker game and maybe I am just a human Enigma machine but there aren't that hard to discern

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

Lufia 2 is a prequel. The opening of Lufia 1 is actually the ending of Lufia 2 (more or less.) Skipping it actually maintains some surprises although it's has a lot of 'foreshadowing' for things that happen in Lufia 1.
Ya do this. I played the Lufia games backwards and thought it was better for it.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Rascyc posted:

Ya do this. I played the Lufia games backwards and thought it was better for it.

Should have done that. Lufia 1 is a real piece of poo poo by any modern standards (hope you like not being able target enemies and an outrageous encounter rate) and I slogged through on sheer misguided willpower. Lufia 2 looked playable but I just didn't care at that point :dawkins101:

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

It's heavily Earthbound/MOTHER-inspired, and it gets the feel of those games pretty much dead-on, but it has its own identity and doesn't resort to references or in-jokes to carry itself. It was made with RPG Maker, but they recently patched it to work on its own engine or something. Point is, all the RPG Maker weirdness is mostly gone, including the controller issues mentioned above.
Gameplay-wise, you've got pretty basic turn-based RPG battles, but about 30 characters you can recruit, with every one of them having their own movesets, so there's a bunch of variety in that, with the caveat that it's very possible to get some of your guys perma-killed. The game is balanced so that you'll basically always be the appropriate level to take on whatever you're fighting, and lower-level characters level up pretty quickly, so grinding isn't really a thing. Almost every enemy you fight is unique, although there's a few places with generic mobs, though they're pretty few and far between. The story is excellent, and probably one of the best video game plots in recent memory, which isn't exactly saying a lot, but still. It's dark and distressing in the right parts and weirdly funny in the right parts without becoming ridiculous. There's a lot of details that aren't spelled out to you, so you might want to give it a second playthrough after you're done to see all the stuff you might've missed.

There's some balance issues between characters and the tone and mood is a bit schizofrenic at times, but it's one of the best games of 2014, in my opinion, and one of the best JRPG-style games in years.
Not sure what having an RPG Maker game in that list that says about me.

Finlander fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 3, 2015

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Tonfa posted:

Should have done that. Lufia 1 is a real piece of poo poo by any modern standards (hope you like not being able target enemies and an outrageous encounter rate) and I slogged through on sheer misguided willpower. Lufia 2 looked playable but I just didn't care at that point :dawkins101:

Play Lufia 2. It's better than Lufia 1 by a long stretch.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 3, 2015

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Tonfa posted:

(hope you like not being able target enemies and an outrageous encounter rate)
Lunar: Dragon Song?! :byodood:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How are Carpe Fulgar's Chantelise and Fortune Summoners?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

punk rebel ecks posted:

How are Carpe Fulgar's Chantelise and Fortune Summoners?

Chantelise is like a poor mans zelda with more story. It's rather unforgiving in places, and you have to beat sections/levels in one go in order to progress the story. It's easily the weakest of the three and I've never beaten and most likely never will.

Fortune Summoners is a sort of metroid-like beat em up with lots and lots of story. The controls take some getting used to, but I thought it was fun. I found it kind of easy to get lost cause the games just like 'go to school' and I'm like "Ok well I don't know where school is." Still thought it was worth playing. The writing is on a similar level with recettear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

al-azad posted:

What do you like about Quest 64?

Hm, probably the combat (so things like Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve even) but also the exploration and whimsical style. The leveling system was simple, but the spirit/spells system was neat.