Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

DarkMalfunction posted:

I'm a hardcore ST fan. Didn't realise that a requirement of that was having no understanding of when you are being royally ripped off/getting a bad deal.

I think you're misreading what he said mate. You can be a hardcore ST fan while still being well aware of the kind of poo poo deals PWE is placing in STO. Nobody said the two always go hand in hand. It's just there are a huge number of hardcore ST fans that will happily empty their paycheques for lockboxes and other garbage in STO right now, and they're a higher percentage of the current game population too due to people fleeing the game. The only ones staying and playing are the newbies who haven't hit the new bullshit, the hardcore ST fans who want some Star Trek games, people with way too much emotionally/financially invested in the game to just quit no matter how poo poo it gets, and those of us still having fun injecting player-created emergent gameplay elements that end up disrupting their super serious rp sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Time to create an autistic dog.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Korgan posted:

I think you're misreading what he said mate. You can be a hardcore ST fan while still being well aware of the kind of poo poo deals PWE is placing in STO. Nobody said the two always go hand in hand. It's just there are a huge number of hardcore ST fans that will happily empty their paycheques for lockboxes and other garbage in STO right now, and they're a higher percentage of the current game population too due to people fleeing the game. The only ones staying and playing are the newbies who haven't hit the new bullshit, the hardcore ST fans who want some Star Trek games, people with way too much emotionally/financially invested in the game to just quit no matter how poo poo it gets, and those of us still having fun injecting player-created emergent gameplay elements that end up disrupting their super serious rp sessions.

Sort of didn't make it clear enough that I was joking :P I do occasionally play STO, but really I only play the new stuff that comes out for about a week or so, and then go back to other games. I really like ST, but I'm not the sort of guy that goes around doing RP's in games and stuff and so will max my credit card on every ship; I only started playing STO as I wanted to try an MMO, and I already knew a lot about ST.

I don't know, I just don't think this freemium F2P model is sustainable the way it's currently implemented in STO, the games been losing players for years, and eventually people are going to catch on. Until then, the greedy Chinese owners of Imperfect World can sit there raking in the money, whilst tarnishing the reputation of a perfectly good series. The new content they are bringing out is great, don't get me wrong, but they need more of it, and to really do some fixing so the power creep isn't ridiculous. I'm sort of hoping/praying :pray: that when more Star Trek games start being released (if Excalibur and Bridge Commander 2 are ever finished), or even if other games in the spaceship genre like Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, EVE etc. they start really showing up STO's flaws so that something is done about it. I don't want the game to end, it has provided plenty of good times, but I can't help but think that PWE really need to get their act together, but they're not going to do this while people are still paying them, I suppose. Why fix what is broken, but is still raking in money for the short term?

People scoff at subscriptions in games and its cost, but look at EVE: a hardcore trekkie probably spends more than £10 a month on average on STO, eliminating that argument, and pay-to-win doesn't really present much of a problem there. SWTOR does F2P a bit better, but it's still got the same powercreep problems that some subscription-based MMO's just don't have. But then again, WoW does the same thing as STO, where stuff is immediately superseded and made obsolete by new stuff the next patch, sort of eliminating the earlier argument. Sigh.

Free-to-play/Freemium can work well (basically any :airquote: free :airquote: game on a smartphone; Candy Crush I'm looking at you), it's just STO is focused too much on raking in money than content. That could be more PWE than anything else though, they have to support all their other games which are equally languishing in content and working, non-buggy code due to "money money money" overriding touch up of existing features. Heck, the only reason they developed Legacy of Romulus and onwards on STO was that Neverwinter did nowhere near as well as they thought it would, and they needed more money, all of this because Champions Online is a huge money sink for them. That's the reason so little work has been done on CO, and if Neverwinter had done well, I wouldn't be surprised if this whole new Delta Quadrant direction hadn't been done whatsoever, and STO was just receiveing more "heres 4 new missions and a new STF, play that for a year whilst buying more reskins of existing ships" patches, rather than the multitude of bug-fixes and arguably pretty drat good new content we've been having. There's hope for STO yet, fix the power creep and make PvP actually interesting and have a use, and I think this game would skyrocket back into popularity, rather than PWE doing deals with MMOHut and MMORPG.com and PWE games mysteriously being voted #1 MMO of the year. :doh:

drat capitalist society, we need state-funded games in a Communist society. Then we wouldn't have this problem. Alternatively, no internet, no problems.... hey guys, how expensive are 2-bedroom apartments in Pyongyang nowadays?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Did I take a wrong turn and end up in the official sto forums again?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

that was mildly racist and too much text/careposting

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
So this would be a bad time to re-join the game for a month or two, I'm gonna wager.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Captain Candiru posted:

So this would be a bad time to re-join the game for a month or two, I'm gonna wager.

Eh, there's no actual cost to join, and while Cryptic/PWE have railroaded in some dubious decisions the actual storyline of the DR missions is pretty okay as far as Trek goes. A lot of the egregious bullshit has been toned down since the expansion launched and most of the big dil sinks are still optional.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Acer Pilot posted:

My only question is if he has done the UESF yet.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Berke Negri posted:

Eh, there's no actual cost to join, and while Cryptic/PWE have railroaded in some dubious decisions the actual storyline of the DR missions is pretty okay as far as Trek goes. A lot of the egregious bullshit has been toned down since the expansion launched and most of the big dil sinks are still optional.

Do I get to hang out with Harry Kim, the most dynamic trek character of all time?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I would like to abuse the wiki. In as CynicJester.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Captain Candiru posted:

Do I get to hang out with Harry Kim, the most dynamic trek character of all time?

Two Harry Kims even. Though I won't spoil that plot twist. Honestly, if you haven't played the newer content before, the game can be good fun as a game, and as a pubbie zoo when you wind down on actual content. Join on up again.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I've missed lots of junk. My logins started to feel like a job around the end of the Risa dance party and hover backpack stuff.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

you've missed a few weeks of running a race

also you can pay me your application fee

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
There was also like dinosaurs from the delta quadrant in a huge ship or something. That came out shortly after the risa event.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Last year, yes. You missed the Risa surfboards and luxury yacht this summer then?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Yeah. If only I had known there'd be another Risa exclusive...

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The first year ship was better anyways. Also the worst thing about coming back at this point is the xp grind and there's a double xp weekend in about two weeks so it's as good a time to check out new stuff as it's gonna be for the forseeable future.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Christmas party is today right?

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Acer Pilot posted:

If anything I am more offended by the "Imperfect World" statement because it involves a conscious effort to type all of those letters when PWE would have sufficed.

^Yeah, 3pm PST I believe.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
This R&D thing seems cool but I bet if I get too deep into it it'll just be another grind for ultimately nothing useful.

It was nice to find myself in Drozana station next to a couple people trying to RP and me with a big stack of dance party orbs at the ready. I must've had my last session in the middle of making people upset by dancing.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Captain Candiru posted:

This R&D thing seems cool but I bet if I get too deep into it it'll just be another grind for ultimately nothing useful.
There are useful things that can be crafted with R&D, but all the useful things can be bought off the exchange and it's generally cheaper to buy them off the exchange than to craft them yourself.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Lagomorphic posted:

The first year ship was better anyways. Also the worst thing about coming back at this point is the xp grind and there's a double xp weekend in about two weeks so it's as good a time to check out new stuff as it's gonna be for the forseeable future.

Did they get rid of the thing where you could sit in player made missions and farm 1-5 in like ten hours?

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Kimsemus posted:

Did they get rid of the thing where you could sit in player made missions and farm 1-5 in like ten hours?

Yes, they patched that out a long time ago. There is a fixed amount of XP and loot from foundry missions now.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

I would like to abuse the wiki. In as CynicJester.

You're in.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
So my download will finish some time tonight.

Should I roll a fed or a KDF character first? Or are they pretty even these days?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Romulan. Then join KDF.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

So my download will finish some time tonight.

Should I roll a fed or a KDF character first? Or are they pretty even these days?

Join whichever you want really, fed has the most choices in terms of ships, romulans are for minmaxing, kdf has the easiest time gaining money earlier on.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks for coming to the party, nerds.

For anyone that missed it and cares (no one) here's a log of it.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Goat Pillager posted:

Join whichever you want really, fed has the most choices in terms of ships, romulans are for minmaxing, kdf has the easiest time gaining money earlier on.

This but KDF allied Romulans get all the money making of regular KDF plus all that sweet overpowered Romulan bullshit.

Mondian posted:

Thanks for coming to the party, nerds.

For anyone that missed it and cares (no one) here's a log of it.

It was a great time as always.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Also if you go Rom you can't make use of all those Fed ship choices anyway.

Great party, plenty of hilarity that looks set to continue on the forums!

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Aleth posted:

Also if you go Rom you can't make use of all those Fed ship choices anyway.

Great party, plenty of hilarity that looks set to continue on the forums!

Yeah, wildboar is melting down and trying to accuse Nbreeki of being StOlivia and that we also control the mods and will get his comments deleted to protect our Goonswarm secrets. The forums never disappoint.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

yeah, guy's a spoil sport. didn't even see him join any of the contests

e: so many tears from that guy in that thread

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 4, 2015

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

That was a great party!

I took quite a few screenshots during the event, which you can find here.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Completely forgot about the party thanks to a Crusader Kings 2 binge.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
I haven't even downloaded the game, but the meltdown wildboar is having in the party thread on the STO forums is already delivering quality entertainment.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1336731&page=9

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Korgan posted:

Yeah, wildboar is melting down and trying to accuse Nbreeki of being StOlivia and that we also control the mods and will get his comments deleted to protect our Goonswarm secrets. The forums never disappoint.

I like how he is repeatedly demanding that the mods close the thread. If they don't, then obviously that means we've extended our shadowy reach to include the unpaid forums mods that just want to be left the gently caress alone.

Skylancer
Aug 15, 2001
Looks like you guys are still alive and well.

Let me join in all the fun!
Antiu@ColdExtremities

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Skylancer posted:

Looks like you guys are still alive and well.

Let me join in all the fun!
Antiu@ColdExtremities

You're invited to the channel.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
That wildboar dude is loving insane.

At one point he had 3 posts in a row, spaced over 15-20 minutes, one of which was accusing you guys of bumping to keep it on the front page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I love when pubbies get all :tinfoil:, especially thinking Dental is part of some conspiracy on the part of EVE goons to do something for reasons.

• Locked thread