Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

The fact that the Mustang finished the trip with a hood scoop and no air filter on gravel roads is impressive. They even showed the carb full of rocks and dust after the race

It had a tall filter at one point, you could see it through the scoop, but either it got shredded or the plenum seal got too loose and all the rocks fell in the carb.

neckbeard posted:

Hammond goes to Canada in a F-150 SVT Raptor - gently caress yes.

Oh man, he's like half as tall as a Raptor. That should be terrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's actually three trucks.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

I wonder if the F-150 segment is the one where they nearly got stuck in Trail for a while because the weather was so poo poo. It would explain why they were there during winter...

If so, "wasteland" is an extraordinarily accurate term (though the surrounding area is quite beautiful). Although compared to Argentina, our brand of lunatic out there probably only would have attacked them if they'd had cellphones or wifi, since those cause cancer!!!

Or they'd be lured into a bigamist cult.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Chris Knight posted:

Or they'd be lured into a bigamist cult.

gently caress you, I'd successfully blocked that part of the region's gently caress-uppedness from my memory.

Fake Edit: Bigamist if you're lucky...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Roaming around various simracing related forums, there's bound to be Top Gear threads, too. Seriously, it's like you're dealing with truthers regarding that whole Argentina thing.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

PT6A posted:

gently caress you, I'd successfully blocked that part of the region's gently caress-uppedness from my memory.

Fake Edit: Bigamist if you're lucky...

I'm hoping there'll be a challenge involving how many Doukhobor girls each truck can tow.

(I'm from Castlegar)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Oh God what.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
He's transformed into his final form. American Redneck Trucker.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

(Thinking I'm still in YLLS): "Man, that redneck looks JUST like Richard Hammond!"

(Realizing I'm in AI): :aaaaa:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Don't forget the followup pictures (He was shaving):

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hope there will be another one.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hope there will be another one.

I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 of them rock Hitler-staches for a few min and have a giggle when they shave

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Who doesn't.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

neckbeard posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 of them rock Hitler-staches for a few min and have a giggle when they shave

Stupid things I worry about when I shave - okay, I've just done my upper lip on both sides of my nose. Hope I don't suddenly die right now for some reason and people think I was trying to grow a Hitler 'stache.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
World's most relevant video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H84T7tWBj2k

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Greatest tragedy of WW2 was the ruination of a perfectly good moustache.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
FYI for those like me who waited: iTunes now has part 1 of the Patagonia special.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rated PG-34 posted:

Greatest tragedy of WW2 was the ruination of a perfectly good moustache.

Made me think of this

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
this isn't the loving Youtube thread :downs:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 14, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Terrible Robot posted:

this isn't the loving Youtube thread :downs:

Agreed, so here's some Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7YDMt7jOfU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's fantastic but they should have put Hammond on a short leg piece.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Haha I like that they put 80's Jeremy hair on his character.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sh4 posted:

I don't know anything about prices in UK but those cars were mint, must have been the most expensive cars they trashed on the show, especially that esprit, it was not the base model. I made a few searches on classifieds and a good condition 91 928GT in manual is around 13k€ ($16k) and the only v8 esprit I could find was 39k€ ($47k)

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I don't want to think what a Mach 1 Mustang costs in the UK.

From a couple of pages back, but here's the original advert for the Mustang in the UK where Top Gear sourced it:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C514604

Also gives a good idea of the state/spec it was in. Interesting (but not really surprising) that it was a fresh US import that was shipped almost straight out to Argentina.

£14,995 would be around $23,000. So yeah, all these cars were pretty valuable when compared to the usual ones in the TG road trips/challenges. which are rarely worth more than £5000 or so.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ok, that's pretty frustrating that they took valuable cars and intended to destroy them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
But Universal wrecked over a hundred pristine Monacos in Blues Brothers :qq:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
They're doing an entire episode as Legos? :stare:

edit: Or I guess it's just the trailer that has them as Legos.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sir Tonk posted:

I'm no MOPAR fan, but it's a shame that hundreds of Dodge Chargers were destroyed for The Dukes of Hazzard.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Sir Tonk posted:

Still though, could you imagine having to sell your pride and joy restored car to someone you don't know (some producer probably), and then sit down for a relaxing top gear special and OH HOLY gently caress OH NO :cry:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Mythbusters said that they always get a deal on the cars they trash because the people selling them are excited to have their former car on the show. I can't imagine Top Gear is too different.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

rifles posted:

Still though, could you imagine having to sell your pride and joy restored car to someone you don't know (some producer probably), and then sit down for a relaxing top gear special and OH HOLY gently caress OH NO :cry:

Something something Morris Marina Owner's Club...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, that's pretty frustrating that they took valuable cars and intended to destroy them.

On the one hand, yes.

On the other hand, where before that Mustang was anonymous, they made it into one of the most famous Mach 1s ever. Millions of people got to enjoy the car through watching the show, rather than just the owner, and the car may live on as a museum piece somewhere thanks to the show and the controversy surrounding it.

I seem to remember Mythbusters buying a beautiful C4 Corvette from an owner that dearly loved it, and he was incredibly upset when they told him they wanted to let a dead animal sit in the trunk for a long time and then see if they could get the smell out by completely disassembling and cleaning the car.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cojawfee posted:

I get what you are saying, but £15k isn't particularly valuable for a car. Especially in a programme where they will write-off a brand new small hatchback just for a 3 minute fun segment (drive it off a dock, saltwater beach landing)

Or where they will clutch-dump all day, just to get a fast lap time.

rifles posted:

I can sympathise with this. On the other hand, you've probably bodged something, or know that the gearbox is about to go, so you feel less guilty about the new owner suffering with the car you sold them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

spog posted:

I can sympathise with this. On the other hand, you've probably bodged something, or know that the gearbox is about to go, so you feel less guilty about the new owner suffering with the car you sold them.

Pretty much this. The power steering in the mustang went pretty quick. Its pretty rare that they get a good fully working car in the challenges and when they do its usually something like a Mitsubishi starion. The Lotus was surprising because it was a desirable car that did actually work.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

On the one hand, yes.

On the other hand, where before that Mustang was anonymous, they made it into one of the most famous Mach 1s ever. Millions of people got to enjoy the car through watching the show, rather than just the owner, and the car may live on as a museum piece somewhere thanks to the show and the controversy surrounding it.

That's always been my take. I would love to own a Rover 3500 or a Triumph Dolomite Sprint (or, dare I say it, even the Princess) as 'ruined' by TG in their British Leyland challenge but none of those cars were good (or even average) examples of what's out there to buy and all three went out in style giving half an hour of entertainment on one of the world's most-watched TV shows. And thousands of people who'd never heard of a Rover 3500 before were introduced to it by watching Jeremy doing tyre-smoking drifts in one (and the doors falling off). If only one person now thinks "that big V8 Rover that looks like a Ferrari is a cool car!" and then buys one and keeps it on the road then TG have off-set destroying one themselves. If two people do that then they've actually helped keep increase the survival rate.

I work with someone who was genuinely annoyed at what happened to the 928 in the Argentinian special because he loves 928s, a GT model is pretty much his dream car, there are only something like 30 left and Jeremy's seemed to be in good condition. I can see where he's coming from but I think with TG being what it is there's no such thing as bad publicity for the cars in these 'cheap' car challenges.

1500quidporsche posted:

The Lotus was surprising because it was a desirable car Lotus that did actually work.

EFA

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

After they didn't really damage the lotus during the workshop section I assumed james wanted to keep it after they got back.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Honestly, giving those cars thousands of miles and putting it through hell and back would probably only increase the cost simply due to the fact that it was on Top Gear and driven (and potentially customized) by one of the hosts.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

Honestly, giving those cars thousands of miles and putting it through hell and back would probably only increase the cost simply due to the fact that it was on Top Gear and driven (and potentially customized) by one of the hosts.

I'd pay top dollar for Oliver, even though it went underwater.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Ariza posted:

Richard Hammond already has and restored it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ariza posted:

I'll bet Hammond's WRX from the Nile special is still in better nick than the average example you'd find around here :/