Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mr Funkface posted:

The plan is to get a replacement back off ebay with unsullied liquid strips and go in for a replacement which would hopefully get under the initial check radar. Would this work? Have I just incriminated myself?

I don't quite understand this - you'd buy a replacement off ebay, bring in the working replacement to the MS store to get a replacement for a working phone, and still have the broken one? Or you'd open the phone to switch out the liquid strips and sell the replacement phone which you'd almost certainly have to say you opened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Windows Phone in 2015 looks so sad and barren, my contract expires next month and there's nothing good looking to replace my 820. I might have to go back to Android, gents. Australia isn't carrying much of this OS anymore.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Anidav posted:

Windows Phone in 2015 looks so sad and barren, my contract expires next month and there's nothing good looking to replace my 820. I might have to go back to Android, gents. Australia isn't carrying much of this OS anymore.

You're kidding right? we're the lucky ones that got a 930 on every carrier just a few months ago... I don't know how you can complain when there is a brand new flagship phone waiting for you to upgrade.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Joe Belfiore promised news about Office for WP before Chinese New Year (Feb 19th), because apparently even Microsofties are starting to grow weary of products establishing foot hold on competing platforms first.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

They're supposed to be discussing SOMEthing at some point this month, right? If it's not a new flagship it might just be enough for me to switch, and I've been on board since 7.0. I keep saying it, but if you want me to buy a phone you have to make me a phone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

With MWC around, yeah, theoretically. But as we all know, announcements of things usually happen months before availability. Unless they've finally changed their tune and have the toys ready soon after announcement. You know, like everyone else.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Wasn't the Band available soon after it was announced?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, I think so. Maybe they've indeed learned from it. Might explain the lack of more devices over the last half year of 2014. At least that's what it looked to me, altho I haven't paid that much attention lately. I'm still hoping that Google pulls the head out of their asses and delivers their app suite on WP (I need at least Google Play Music with All Access to switch).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

You're kidding right? we're the lucky ones that got a 930 on every carrier just a few months ago... I don't know how you can complain when there is a brand new flagship phone* waiting for you to upgrade.

* released in the U.S. in February as the Lumia Icon, and with identical internals and camera as the Lumia 1520 from November 2013

sourdough fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 4, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

* released in the U.S. in February as the Lumia Icon, and with identical internals and camera as the Lumia 1520 from November 2013

Why is this an issue? It's a massive upgrade from your current phone, the CPU is sufficiently fast for anything thrown at it, it has an excellent 1080p screen like the android flagships, the camera is better than anything android has to offer. What exactly is lacking? you get to replace your previous gen not-flagship phone with a vastly better flagship from the current generation.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Why is this an issue? It's a massive upgrade from your current phone, the CPU is sufficiently fast for anything thrown at it, it has an excellent 1080p screen like the android flagships, the camera is better than anything android has to offer. What exactly is lacking? you get to replace your previous gen not-flagship phone with a vastly better flagship from the current generation.

I guess we have different definitions of brand new :)

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

RVProfootballer posted:

As a Verizon exclusive, the only carrier worse than AT&T.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, I think so. Maybe they've indeed learned from it. Might explain the lack of more devices over the last half year of 2014. At least that's what it looked to me, altho I haven't paid that much attention lately. I'm still hoping that Google pulls the head out of their asses and delivers their app suite on WP (I need at least Google Play Music with All Access to switch).

That won't happen. WP is in even less of a position of strength than it has been in the past, and Google wants it to die. It'd have to hit like 20% market share before Google deigns to (allow Microsoft to) port their apps. They wouldn't even let Microsoft write a goddamn Youtube app for Christ's sake.

RVProfootballer posted:

* released in the U.S. in February as the Lumia Icon**, and with identical internals and camera as the Lumia 1520 from November 2013

**no longer available in America because what the gently caress Verizon

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

loquacius posted:

That won't happen. WP is in even less of a position of strength than it has been in the past, and Google wants it to die. It'd have to hit like 20% market share before Google deigns to (allow Microsoft to) port their apps. They wouldn't even let Microsoft write a goddamn Youtube app for Christ's sake.
But meanwhile, a new CEO was installed, and he's not a complete dick. Maybe that'll lead to something in near future.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

I don't quite understand this - you'd buy a replacement off ebay, bring in the working replacement to the MS store to get a replacement for a working phone, and still have the broken one? Or you'd open the phone to switch out the liquid strips and sell the replacement phone which you'd almost certainly have to say you opened?

Buy just a replacement back cover which would have inactivated liquid strips. This of course doesn't work if there are more than the two strips I can see, or if there is a method to tell the back has been taken off.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have my lumia 920, which is starting to get a hosed up headphone jack (it thought it was plugged in for two days, so I couldnt actually use the phone for phone stuff unless I switched to speaker phone), and my fathers, which has been sitting in a box for over a year since he got a 1020. I'm trying to reset his so I can use it, but after doing the in-phone reset, i get the forever spinning gears. I've tried the nokia software updater, but it never recognizes the device. (even when occasionally prompting to soft reset it, it still goes back to the spinning gears). Am i hosed or what - the warranty has obviously expired

edit:i switch to another usb port, getting a failure to install the NOKIA BOOTMGR driver. Do I need to be doing this as admin? I'm on windows 7

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 5, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

I guess we have different definitions of brand new :)

So do you not buy car xyz a year after it first started getting sold, because it isn't brand new anymore, and other manufacturers have subsequently also released cars?

The 930 has the best camera on the market (aside from the niche 1020), a screen on par with the very best on offer, and so forth. It's not actually lacking anything on the hardware front - hardware wise it's an objectively better phone than an iphone 6, and on par with the android flagships except in camera where it wins comfortably.

Your argument is ridiculous.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 5, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

So do you not buy car xyz a year after it first started getting sold, because it isn't brand new anymore, and other manufacturers have subsequently also released cars?

The 930 has the best camera on the market (aside from the niche 1020), a screen on par with the very best on offer, and so forth. It's not actually lacking anything on the hardware front - hardware wise it's an objectively better phone than an iphone 6, and on par with the android flagships except in camera where it wins comfortably.

Okay, first, the camera: Having owned a 1520 at one point (which I think has the same camera as the 930), while it is really good I would not call it better than an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. The iPhone 6, to me, takes more consistently good pictures, where you have to baby the 1520 a bit more. It was always a bit slow to the draw when taking action shots, where my iPhone just does it with no problems. With my iPhone, I don't really think about changing the settings on it. I just take the picture and it almost always looks good. The 1020 takes amazing pictures if you and your subject are perfectly still. The processor is too slow to do anything else. Now, seeing the Lumia Denim firmware video, they did seem to speed up the camera start and picture taking time quite a bit for those newer phones, but I'm not sure if it's enough still. But that's me.

Having held the 930 in a Microsoft store, I did not like it. It felt way too square and awkward in the hand. My iPhone and HTC One both curve into my hand and feel fine in the hand by comparison. The screen did look amazing though (Even though it's an LCD, so no glance mode), same as it did on the 1520. But even though the resolution itself is lower on the iPhone, it still looks great. I don't really care if it's lower resolution, because I can actually watch premium Nico Video live feeds and listen to Radiko streams on my iPhone, which Windows Phone will never be able to do.

I was interested in getting a used 1520 again. Some people at my office got iPhone 6 Pluses and it got my interested again a larger phone again. I can get um' somewhat cheap on Swappa, so maybe I will just for the hell of it. But it'll still be a secondary device, not a daily driver.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Okay, first, the camera: Having owned a 1520 at one point (which I think has the same camera as the 930), while it is really good I would not call it better than an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. The iPhone 6, to me, takes more consistently good pictures, where you have to baby the 1520 a bit more. It was always a bit slow to the draw when taking action shots, where my iPhone just does it with no problems. With my iPhone, I don't really think about changing the settings on it. I just take the picture and it almost always looks good. The 1020 takes amazing pictures if you and your subject are perfectly still. The processor is too slow to do anything else. Now, seeing the Lumia Denim firmware video, they did seem to speed up the camera start and picture taking time quite a bit for those newer phones, but I'm not sure if it's enough still. But that's me.

Having held the 930 in a Microsoft store, I did not like it. It felt way too square and awkward in the hand. My iPhone and HTC One both curve into my hand and feel fine in the hand by comparison. The screen did look amazing though (Even though it's an LCD, so no glance mode), same as it did on the 1520. But even though the resolution itself is lower on the iPhone, it still looks great. I don't really care if it's lower resolution, because I can actually watch premium Nico Video live feeds and listen to Radiko streams on my iPhone, which Windows Phone will never be able to do.

I was interested in getting a used 1520 again. Some people at my office got iPhone 6 Pluses and it got my interested again a larger phone again. I can get um' somewhat cheap on Swappa, so maybe I will just for the hell of it. But it'll still be a secondary device, not a daily driver.

Well shape and feel is completely subjective, so I wasn't considering it, nor was I considering the operating system itself - I was simply refuting the point that was made, which was that there was no worthy phone out there to upgrade to from an 820 of all things.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? You said there's a brand new flagship Windows Phone, referring to a phone originally released in February and with (almost) identical hardware from November 2013. That was my whole point. That's my argument. I'm sorry you failed to read any of the posts I made, but you can make more comprehensible replies next time if you do that first.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? You said there's a brand new flagship Windows Phone, referring to a phone originally released in February and with (almost) identical hardware from November 2013. That was my whole point. That's my argument. I'm sorry you failed to read any of the posts I made, but you can make more comprehensible replies next time if you do that first.

There hasn't been a successor to the lumia 930, so it's still the new flagship. You originally posted that there was nothing to upgrade to from your current phone, my point is that this statement is completely incorrect, given that you have a midrange phone from the previous generation, and there is a flagship phone from the current generation for you to upgrade to, which is a huge improvement over your current phone. The fact it's been out for a while does not change the fact that it's an objectively good phone which is better than the previous generation of phones. It holds its own perfectly well against currently available android and iphone flagships - the screen is as good or better; the cpu speed and RAM is perfectly fine for everything asked of it, the battery life is excellent, the camera is excellent - what more do you want? Why does it make a difference that it's been out for a year?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

There hasn't been a successor to the lumia 930, so it's still the new flagship. You originally posted that there was nothing to upgrade to from your current phone, my point is that this statement is completely incorrect, given that you have a midrange phone from the previous generation, and there is a flagship phone from the current generation for you to upgrade to, which is a huge improvement over your current phone. The fact it's been out for a while does not change the fact that it's an objectively good phone which is better than the previous generation of phones. It holds its own perfectly well against currently available android and iphone flagships - the screen is as good or better; the cpu speed and RAM is perfectly fine for everything asked of it, the battery life is excellent, the camera is excellent - what more do you want? Why does it make a difference that it's been out for a year?

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm sorry you failed to read any of the posts I made, but you can make more comprehensible replies next time if you do that first.

Anidav posted:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Oh dear. I accidently started arguing with the wrong person didn't I?

I maintain my points would have been entirely valid If I'd been directing them at the correct person.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Oh dear. I accidently started arguing with the wrong person didn't I?

I maintain my points would have been entirely valid If I'd been directing them at the correct person.

Haha, I agree that you made a good argument that a 930 is a good upgrade over an 820!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh well, I ordered an LG G3 anyway.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Anidav posted:

Treason sir.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A little. Been with Microsoft since the Omnia 7. They killed Zune software and replaced it with a lovely W8 app. Its been fatigue since.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Anidav posted:

Get ready to deal with LG's skin and bloatware, they're close to samsung on that regard. Once you get tired of that poo poo come to the rooted android thread (I still own 2 samsung phones) :mrgw:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah, I will want to get the most out of android. I heard the G3 is amazing after you 'fix' it. I don't know how to fix it however, is there a G3 specific guide?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Anidav posted:

Yeah, I will want to get the most out of android. I heard the G3 is amazing after you 'fix' it. I don't know how to fix it however, is there a G3 specific guide?

Start with something simple and install a new launcher to customize the look (aka bring it back to stock). It's literally just a program that runs, so reverting back is as simple as choosing to use the launcher that came with your phone instead or as difficult as uninstalling an app. Apex and Nova are the big two and closest to stock. You can later play with more radical ones and then look at rooting once your are comfortable or start hitting walls with what you want to do.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Since according to Belfiore they're grouping the announcements together, if they're not including an announcement of a new player and management app with that, it'll be pretty much proof of the big disconnect between these clowns and the general public. I also expect them to drag their balls in regards to new flagships until the release of Windows 10.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Windows Phone - All I Wanted Was a Zune Phone

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Since according to Belfiore they're grouping the announcements together, if they're not including an announcement of a new player and management app with that, it'll be pretty much proof of the big disconnect between these clowns and the general public. I also expect them to drag their balls in regards to new flagships until the release of Windows 10.

Have the clowns given an actual date beyond the mooted nebulous "Jan/early 2015" for ~*~*~*~ANNOUNCEMENT~*~*~*~*

Windows Phone - Promises Are As Good As Actual Improvements

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 5, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Only something like "more to announce" before "Chinese New Year". That's around Feb 19th, and MWC is March 2nd. Latest for that time they have to have something to say.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
While we were complaining MS have only gone and done a secret announcement! Happy New Year!

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-the-nokia-215-its-29-internet-phone/

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Funkface posted:

While we were complaining MS have only gone and done a secret announcement! Happy New Year!

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-the-nokia-215-its-29-internet-phone/

It is kind of impressive that they've made an Internet-capable phone that costs less than a smiley on the Something Awful Forums, but not the announcement I was hoping for :shrug:

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

It seems like with the way Metro tiles scale, they could have made it a bit more Windows Phone-y.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

For that price and having Opera Mini looks like the cheapest backup phone you can get, and even a nice alarm clock with that battery life :v:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Guillermus posted:

For that price and having Opera Mini looks like the cheapest backup phone you can get, and even a nice alarm clock with that battery life :v:

And sweet sweet GPRS! But yeah, I'd pick one of those up as a cheap backup phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

My 920 is on its last legs, and I'm sticking with AT&T because grandfathered unlimited data is pretty awesome. My options are basically M8, 1520, or 1020. But I'm really not liking the idea of being locked into a 2 year contract when new phones could could be announced soon. Goddammit Microsoft :(