Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leper Residue posted:

Chantelise is like a poor mans zelda with more story. It's rather unforgiving in places, and you have to beat sections/levels in one go in order to progress the story. It's easily the weakest of the three and I've never beaten and most likely never will.

Fortune Summoners is a sort of metroid-like beat em up with lots and lots of story. The controls take some getting used to, but I thought it was fun. I found it kind of easy to get lost cause the games just like 'go to school' and I'm like "Ok well I don't know where school is." Still thought it was worth playing. The writing is on a similar level with recettear.
Fortune Summoners is, by the way, by a different group than Chantelise and Recettear. So it's a good bit harder than Recettear is.

Also the control weirdness. Anyway, I'm pretty sure all three of the games have demos, that carry saves over to the main game, so give them a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Demos it is!

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Variant_Eris posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/16/side-scrolling-rpg-lisa-is-in-a-mess/

I didn't look into it further, mainly because I wasn't interested. Supposing that I purchase the game, what pointers should I look for?

That guy is a spastic baby. You could use the function keys to resize the window before but you can just drag it to any size now, and if you avoid walking off of cliffs for no reason you'll shortly find a tutorial that explains how to play. You save at crows, which the game also tells you.

This is what the key binding looks like now

It looks a little crazy but it makes perfect sense when you play the game because you use the WASD keys to attack.

Just play with the default controls and it's fine. It's a really great game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Machine posted:

Help, RPG thread, I have a lot of nostalgia for Quest 64 and need something like it but more modern. I have a PC, PS3, Vita, Wii U, and 3DS.

have you tried sticking needles in your finger tips and playing with chainsaws? that should give you a similar experience to quest 64

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

If you want the terrible levelup system you can play FF2.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Genpei Turtle posted:

The magic creation system had a lot of potential to be interesting, but quickly devolves into "see what cool spell the monsters are casting and copy it." Though it is kind of amusing that they set it up so that you could input spell names from other RPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and get the same effects. (Not sure if this made it through in any sort of translation)
Even then, the monsters' spells kinda suck and the game kinda suffers from FF3-DS syndrome where it's really hard to tell when your casters are gonna drop their healing magic. Beginning of the turn? End of the turn? The magic system also falls by the wayside when you realize that the only spells you actually want are the strength, elemental, and defense buffs. Even if you exploit the word system to create the highest-power spells possible, they'll still only do mid-hundreds while even the casters--Surlent or Risa--will do 2k+ with the proper buffs up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Machine posted:

Hm, probably the combat (so things like Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve even) but also the exploration and whimsical style. The leveling system was simple, but the spirit/spells system was neat.

I can't think of anything quite like Quest 64, probably because it's not a game worth copying, but have you played Legend of Mana? It's whimsical, open ended, and with a bunch of simple subsystems that let you build spells/weapons/items/death dealing robot buddies.

If you just want to nostalgia on a bad game try Ephemeral Fantasia!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

I can't think of anything quite like Quest 64, probably because it's not a game worth copying, but have you played Legend of Mana? It's whimsical, open ended, and with a bunch of simple subsystems that let you build spells/weapons/items/death dealing robot buddies.

But if you like continuity, it's really not the game for you. One of the biggest things that bugged me with that game was the part where, whether it was an issue with the localization or if the original devs got lazy with the open-ended nature of the game and made every conversation with the assumption that you were always meeting everyone for the first time, nobody was able to remember you or anything you did pretty much at all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Genpei Turtle posted:

Rudra no Hihou has a really interesting plot mechanic with the multiple parties adventuring simultaneously and seeing how party 1's actions influence what happen in party 2 and 3's stories and vice versa. But from a gameplay standpoint it's just bad. Combat is just atrocious and dull as hell, with literally no distinction between characters other than their stats and what they can equip. The magic creation system had a lot of potential to be interesting, but quickly devolves into "see what cool spell the monsters are casting and copy it." Though it is kind of amusing that they set it up so that you could input spell names from other RPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and get the same effects. (Not sure if this made it through in any sort of translation)

It's kind of a shame because if they had put any serious effort into making the gameplay more fun it could have been an awesome game. It's like they had this one great idea about interacting storylines and then forgot that they had to attach a decent game to it.

The interacting storylines could have also used some work since until the teamup at the very end, most of the interactions are basically two groups running into each other, exchanging notes or maybe trading an item with each other, and then heading their separate ways.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Kild posted:

If you want the terrible levelup system you can play FF2.

or a SaGa game, those are fairly open-ended and have the FF2 levelup system. SaGa Frontier is probably the best in the series but it's hard to find and also Xenogears levels of unfinished. You can emulate it on PC, and it might be on PSN, not sure.

The SaGa dev team also made Last Remnant, which has a definitive PC version on Steam, and are making Legend of Legacy for the 3DS, which might come stateside.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

hubris.height posted:

have you tried sticking needles in your finger tips and playing with chainsaws? that should give you a similar experience to quest 64

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I rented Quest 64 because I thought it was related to Ogre Battle 64. Oh boy, that was a mistake.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
I keep trying to like Neverwinter Nights. I really want to like it, because it has a huge amount of good fan-made content and offers more potential for actual role-playing than something like Skyrim. Unfortunately, I think I might just have to give up on it.

My problem is that my preferred character type is the classic glass cannon spellcaster; high damage, low defense, carries a staff, and so on. I've come to understand that this isn't a very viable way to go in D&D (and, therefore, NWN), where it's supposed to be more about buffs, debuffs, and save-or-die type stuff - all things I don't care for. I'd prefer to have mostly attack spells supplemented by an occasional summon or buff, but the system seems to want me to do the opposite. I'm getting tired of fighting with the system.

So, are there some good fantasy RPGs where blaster mages are viable? Am I going to have to look around a lot, or is it just D&D that sucks for this? I'm looking for something on PC.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

I'm pretty sure you can't quote yourself on the back of your own box.

HGH fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 4, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
:golfclap:

Praetorian Mage posted:

My problem is that my preferred character type is the classic glass cannon spellcaster; high damage, low defense, carries a staff, and so on. I've come to understand that this isn't a very viable way to go in D&D (and, therefore, NWN), where it's supposed to be more about buffs, debuffs, and save-or-die type stuff - all things I don't care for. I'd prefer to have mostly attack spells supplemented by an occasional summon or buff, but the system seems to want me to do the opposite. I'm getting tired of fighting with the system.
NWN2 actually lets you play blaster better, especially if you use the mods that give spell progression to Dragon Disciples (12HP / level). iirc it was hard to impossible to hack spell progression into the original for any classes at all. Plus it gives you access to Missile Storm, which is basically Magic Missile except it shoots 20-40 at once,1d6 per, no save, 6th+ level so it's hard to resist.

If you do wanna make it a little more player-friendly, pick up Haste. NWN1 runs on 3.0e rules, so Haste gives you two spells per turn. Also you can stack crit feats with Keen (spell) and with Keen (enchantment), meaning that if you use the custom enchantments mod, your glass cannon mage can have a staff with a crit range of like 12-20 :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I rented Quest 64 because I thought it was related to Ogre Battle 64. Oh boy, that was a mistake.
why did you think this

Praetorian Mage posted:

I keep trying to like Neverwinter Nights. I really want to like it, because it has a huge amount of good fan-made content and offers more potential for actual role-playing than something like Skyrim. Unfortunately, I think I might just have to give up on it.

So, are there some good fantasy RPGs where blaster mages are viable? Am I going to have to look around a lot, or is it just D&D that sucks for this? I'm looking for something on PC.
dragon age. all of them. (2 isn't good but mage is viable)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A friend of mine bought a Control Pak that was advertised as having only Quest 64 save files, like every single spell or whatever at the end of the game. I know we were upset about FFVII but why did we try to care so much about Quest 64. Whhhhhy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dragon Age is one of the few games where running an all caster party is not only enjoyable but completely wrecks the game.

But if you really want to get all your frustrations out play some co-op Magicka. It's not an RPG per-se but if you ever want to feel like a bomb dropping wizard you literally turn monsters into red paste with negative energy rays.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

al-azad posted:

Dragon Age is one of the few games where running an all caster party is not only enjoyable but completely wrecks the game.

But if you really want to get all your frustrations out play some co-op Magicka. It's not an RPG per-se but if you ever want to feel like a bomb dropping wizard you literally turn monsters into red paste with negative energy rays.

Magicka is really mediocre if you're playing by yourself but loving amazing if you're playing with other people and focusing on discovering new ways to blast them into orbit and steal their poo poo. Be sure to get all $200 worth of DLC.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

magnificent finally honesty in box design

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

Only in Inquisition. The original only has two mage companions, so you can't have more than three mages in a party. It won't matter who the fourth person is though, since mages are better than the other two classes at everything in Origins.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Srice posted:

The interacting storylines could have also used some work since until the teamup at the very end, most of the interactions are basically two groups running into each other, exchanging notes or maybe trading an item with each other, and then heading their separate ways.

The direct interaction between parties definitely wasn't the strong point. I was more thinking of the indirect sort of stuff, like "seemingly random occurrence is actually a direct result of something another party is doing elsewhere" or "area is like this because different party has done something here previously." Nothing mindblowing but kind of cool.

But yeah overall RnH is exactly the type of game you might want to read an LP of but not actually play.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

DiHK posted:

Those both look pretty great, thanks!

I forgot to mention that Baldurs Gate is my all time fav.

- Shadowdrun Dragonfall (must play)
- Divinity Original Sin (must play)
- Mass Effect (you probably played it, if not, you really should)
- Dragon Age Origins (see Mass Effect)
- Might and Magic X Legacy (really good dungeon crawler with overworld )
- Valkyria Chronicles (SRPG, and well, squad counts as party)
- Trail in the Sky (as previously mentioned, it's a must play, especially since sequel is coming soonish)
- Icewind Dale EE
- Drakensang and Drakensang 2 (well, they are kind of euro janky but good)
- Wasteland 2 (haven't played it yet)
- Lords of Xulima (haven't played)
- NWN2 Complete (Mask of the Betrayer is by far the best option there and a must play)

- Classics:
- FFVII, FFVIII, FFIV, Phantasy Star IV, Septerra Core, Icewind Dale EE (well, it definitely isnt new), Wizardry 8
- Lots more classics on GOG, it's just a better platform for older games, IMO

- Comedy Options
- Agarest games, mostly anything made with RPG maker

Edit: Yeah, completely forgot NWN2

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How far into TiTS am I if I only just finished chapter 1? I get the feeling not far, and besides the oft-amusing dialogue, the game's still not really gelling for me :(

RIP Olivier

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

theres 4 chapters

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Genpei Turtle posted:

The direct interaction between parties definitely wasn't the strong point. I was more thinking of the indirect sort of stuff, like "seemingly random occurrence is actually a direct result of something another party is doing elsewhere" or "area is like this because different party has done something here previously." Nothing mindblowing but kind of cool.

But yeah overall RnH is exactly the type of game you might want to read an LP of but not actually play.

Oh yeah that stuff is pretty neat for sure. Nice little details like that can really add up.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

How far into TiTS am I if I only just finished chapter 1? I get the feeling not far, and besides the oft-amusing dialogue, the game's still not really gelling for me :(

From what I understand, TiTS has a really slow start.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Kiggles posted:

But what people who say that always forget to mention is that it never speeds up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wendell posted:

But what people who say that always forget to mention is that it never speeds up.

Describes the combat nicely too. Those Art effects, sheesh, at least the Crafts are mostly short and sweet.

Oh well, with chapter 1 over I can at least say I gave the game a fair shake even if I never finish it.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Wendell posted:

The trick is to use Cheat Engine's speedhack (set to 2.0, bump to 5.0 for special effects/to taste). I use it on basically every game at this point.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

The Machine posted:

Hm, probably the combat (so things like Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve even) but also the exploration and whimsical style. The leveling system was simple, but the spirit/spells system was neat.

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter sort of plays like Quest 64 except it's actually a good game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

First time I tried TiTS, I put it down a short while in, even before the prologue ended.

A couple months later, I wanted to play a bigass JRPG with a good amount of reading, so I sat down, said "I am going to enjoy this", and went into it as if I were about to read a book. I played it through to completion and really liked it.

This is the story of my tits.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Agnostalgia posted:

Only in Inquisition. The original only has two mage companions, so you can't have more than three mages in a party. It won't matter who the fourth person is though, since mages are better than the other two classes at everything in Origins.

Clearly you have the dog as your fourth party member. :colbert:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
So apparently Masato Kato is doing scenario writing for Legend of Legacy, and Masashi Hamauzu is doing the soundtrack. There aren't many new games I get excited for these days, but this one looks pretty interesting just based on who's making it. Of course, that means it probably won't get localized :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kiggles posted:

If your definition of fast is lots of plot intrigue and big explosions, then yes. I think it's amazingly paced in how you start out doing odd jobs for the village and slowly but very surely transition into catching criminals and, yes, saving the world. As long as the moment-to-moment character interactions are good and interesting (and they are!) stuff doesn't have to blow up all the time.

The laid-back pace also makes it actually really exciting when big action scenes do happen.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

oblomov posted:

- Classics:
- FFVII, FFVIII, FFIV, Phantasy Star IV, Septerra Core, Icewind Dale EE (well, it definitely isnt new), Wizardry 8

Speaking of Septerra Core, I have a 50% off Steam coupon for this game (USD $2.50 value) that I would love to trade for any FFXIII Foil card, if anyone is interested. Hit me up. The coupon is valid until January 9, 2015.

oblomov posted:

- Comedy Options
- Agarest games, mostly anything made with RPG maker

Do you mean that Agarest is a funny game or that Agarest is so bad/terrible/etc. that it's funny? I was considering picking one of them up after I wrapped up FFXIII.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Agarest is a very mediocre game with lots of grind. I would not recommend playing any of them, and I don't even necessarily hate them.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The comedy is that he's recommending them, not the games themselves. Endorph is right in this case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

GloomMouse posted:

The trick is to use Cheat Engine's speedhack (set to 2.0, bump to 5.0 for special effects/to taste). I use it on basically every game at this point.

Well, that's goddamned genius. Need to figure out the Lua VK constant for gamepad buttons so I can bind toggle speed to left stick click on my DS4, but the keyboard'll suffice for now.

Now I can play TiTS and enjoy the story without being hampered by the slow combat :woop: