Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Copenhagen wheel!!

*is that guy from Weeds*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I was confused about that too, but I think he mentioned them as being a "not quite moped, not quite motorcycle" option, since I mentioned the Dutch thingy is a no-ped.

I meant it as a short-distance city bike that was affordable. It seems the major options are:

1. Old mopeds.
2. Ruckus.
3. Chinese garbage.

Working under the now-known-as-false assumption that the Ruckus was a failure, I figured the other two categories were the only viable ones, and each remaining category has their problems (I love mopeds, don't get me wrong -- I have an old Puch and a pair of lovely Jawas -- but they're not for everyone due to maintenance requirements and whatnot).

I took a lot for granted in my phrasing there. Sorry folks.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Eh, I'm not so quick to throw the Chinese stuff under the bus. I've got one of those Chinese engine things for bikes and it's still going strong some 4 years and 15k miles later. I'm actually having my issues with the "made in USA" marked stuff. For just under 200 bucks I feel I've gotten my money's worth and more out of it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Well, I got my holiday bonus, and looking for a new ride i figured what the hell and picked up this;

It's a Roketa moped. I know, I know, chinese junk, blah blah blah. All the China hate aside, thus far it hasn't been that bad.
Packing was rather lovely as the company I ordered it through did a full assembly and PDI before shipping, so meh. Few scuff marks here and there, both mirrors were crushed (being packed in a small box underneath, for some reason). I got the warranty too, so new mirrors aren't an issue. It's a bit different than the picture. the rims are 5 spoke aluminum with a thin strip of red reflective tape around the rim. The "information panel" (where the light/turn/gear display are) is a bit different that in the display. The Engine is a Honda clone and looks really tip top, not the rough casting and crap I expected.

Once aside I filled it with gas, checked the oil, went around and made sure everything was tight and set to fire it up. Battery was almost dead (despite the shop claiming they gave it a full charge after upgrading it from the China special). So no starter I set to kick starting it, full choke and 1/8 throttle as the instructions state. No dice. After looking over the fuel system there are two cut offs. Alright, opened the second right next to the carb, which is open when the valve twists to the side rather than in line with the fuel line. Kicked it again, fired up and idled a bit, then died. Tried again, nothing. again and again, nothing. Had to go to work, so put the battery on a tender and left.

Returning home I took the battery off the tender, reinstalled it and tried again with the electric start, nothing, wouldn't even crank.Feeling pissed I took to the internet to try and discover the issues. Via a website I found you need to squeeze the brake lever and then the starter will engage and the kickstands must be up because they have a kill switch that prevents the starter from working while the stands are down. Alright, went back and gave it a shot and bam, fired up but died soon after. Figured just for shits and giggles I'd check the plug. Gap was too damned wide (seriously, what kind of hosed up PDI was this?). Hit it again, fired up with no choke and idled really smooth. Shut it down and changed the oil.

Alright, bundled up after letting it idle a bit. Pulled out onto the road and gave it some gas. Pickup is a bit poor at first (a better plug should fix that) but quickly accelerated uphill. Hit the shifter to get into second, it is a clutchless shift, so it hopped a bit when i let up on the foot shifter (better throttle/shifting combination should help that). Climbed through second ok and into third and at mid RPM was doing 25 MPH. Accelerated further, shifted into 4th and hit about 45MPH at about 5k RPM. Brakes are really responsive, the front disc works great and the rear drum grips firm. the digital gear display responded to every shift. Definitely gonna have to install a different shifter that lets me shift up and down with the toes as my heel can't push far enough down to downshift. Overall it was a nifty ride once I got used to the gear shifting and brakes. the engine runs solid and the shifter works really smooth. Shocks are adjustable by way of a twist nut that latches on a peg, every step climbs it a bit more to make the spring stiffer.

Things to fix yet. the rear fender rubs against the tire when the shocks are compressed like going over bumps or as i already have, having groceries loaded on the back, so either need to drill some new mounting holes to move the fender further away or lengthen the chain to move the wheel back...likely be drilling holes. Plug upgrade, of course, might look up a replacement CDI as I hear they can get really unreliable. The turn signals stick out too far for my liking, I may get shorter LED ones. Need to find a red paint that matches to touch up some of the scuff marks. The plastic isn't very amazing, fortunately there's not that much on it. The oil dipstick cover was really frail plastic that snapped with a light twist, but the dipstick itself has two grooves in it that fit the wrench like tool the company sent with it so opening it can still be done. the wiring isn't too complicated, it's all easy to follow and connections are really clean. Prolly will remove the kickstart lever and store it on the bike somewhere as the lever juts out too far to let my foot rest on the peg without partially engaging the rear brake foot lever (at a size 14 this thing wasn't exactly built for big feet). Overall it seems to be really sturdy and decently built, I think it's been worth it for 800 thus far. Course I'm only 14 miles in, but so far it runs well.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 31, 2014

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Just A Little Bit Closer...
You spent more time writing that review than you have spent riding that hunk of poo poo. With all the problems you have already found on a brand new lovely Chinese clone, how can you possibly think that it was worth the 800 bucks you wasted? You can find a real two stroke moped and make it faster and better for less than 800 bucks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*laundry list of poo poo that's broke*

"It's not so bad, guys, 17 miles is a ton of inches!"

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Most chinese made stuff is pretty good actually, CPI for example but the thing is that you paid 800 for this, if you substract the famous PDI and shipping costs, that bike was worth like 500 for the retailer, so you have a 500$ moped that you paid 800$ but still with the quality control and awesome braking/suspension parts from china. I'd say that'd be worth it for people with a low budget and just need a ready to run A to B transportation but from your experience it's not really ready to run and is a clusterfuck from the get go, so buying a proper bike used and throwing brembos and paiolis and a few accessories on it is still the best option it seems

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can we change the thread title to "DONT BUY CHINESE BIKES!!", please?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
CPI is Taiwanese and infinitely better than any clone the mainland craps out.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Mainland China: worst China

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Hey, just reporting what I got. Far surpassed the "not gonna start at all" "parts fry/break off first time" that everyone screams about'em.
By all means, if you can afford it or find a different bike, go for it over a Chinese, but jesus they're not the frail turds everyone badmouths them as being.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

SocketWrench posted:

Hey, just reporting what I got. Far surpassed the "not gonna start at all" "parts fry/break off first time" that everyone screams about'em.
By all means, if you can afford it or find a different bike, go for it over a Chinese, but jesus they're not the frail turds everyone badmouths them as being.

SocketWrench posted:

Once aside I filled it with gas, checked the oil, went around and made sure everything was tight and set to fire it up. Battery was almost dead (despite the shop claiming they gave it a full charge after upgrading it from the China special). So no starter I set to kick starting it, full choke and 1/8 throttle as the instructions state. No dice. After looking over the fuel system there are two cut offs. Alright, opened the second right next to the carb, which is open when the valve twists to the side rather than in line with the fuel line. Kicked it again, fired up and idled a bit, then died. Tried again, nothing. again and again, nothing. Had to go to work, so put the battery on a tender and left.

Returning home I took the battery off the tender, reinstalled it and tried again with the electric start, nothing, wouldn't even crank.

Yes, sounds like there wasn't a single starting problem and nothing was broken/dead.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah? Keep reading where I discovered you had to hold a brake lever in for the starter to engage. Boy it sure was broken, hur de hur hur.
I swear, I never expect anything to work great fresh out of the box, but I guess if it doesn't that auto labels it as junk.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno? I expect all new Japanese bikes to work flawlessly and they do, without fail.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Check your Japanese manufacture privilege.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I bet it says CISHET on your engine cases you microaggressionist.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Check your Japanese manufacture privilege.

I will not.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I took my Tomos out and it felt a little slow. There was also a fierce storm going, so I thought it was that. Moped was otherwise fully functional.

After the storm, it still felt a little slow.

I didn't ride my moped for a month or so after that, and then noticed a tiny puddle of clear oil had started to form on the ground.

Looks like the 2-stroke oil supply broke and I'd been driving around unlubricated. Moped shop says repairs are at least 350 euros. I told them I'd think about it.

Considering how long it took before that oil puddle started to form, and the cost of the repairs, maybe I should get rid of the oil system completely and use pre-mixed fuel instead, because I don't want this happening ever again. The damage was already done by the time I noticed it seemed a little slow.

How much effort is it to mix fuel yourself? Gas stations no longer sell premixed fuel, and I'm also not allowed to store a container of fuel inside my shed. Fuel inside the moped is fine, oddly.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
I'd keep it as it is. Premix isn't a hassle, but it just won't work as well and the bike will run leaner than before, which might or might not piss it off.

Premixing also degrades the octane rating of the gas, I think. So you'll have a machine running gas more likely to detonate and at a leaner mixture, with less effective oiling overall. This is just gonna make the next engine failure more predictable, rather than protect you from it happening again.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Frosty- posted:

I'd keep it as it is. Premix isn't a hassle, but it just won't work as well and the bike will run leaner than before, which might or might not piss it off.

Premixing also degrades the octane rating of the gas, I think. So you'll have a machine running gas more likely to detonate and at a leaner mixture, with less effective oiling overall. This is just gonna make the next engine failure more predictable, rather than protect you from it happening again.

This is all wrong, premixing is better in every way, you get better performance and reliability and also have the ability to adjust your oil mix to weather conditions.
It's a hassle because when you go for refueling you will need an oil bottle, they sell some bottles with dual compartments and graduations so it's easy to mix like these :

After filling up just look at the volume of fuel you put in and then put the oil in the tank, shake the bike a bit and you're good to go.
With premixing you can run lower oil % because you know it will be fixed % not kind of random as when you're using the oil pump so you can run something like 4% oil and get better mileage and performance. (in racing engines we use 1 or 2% depending on weather/atmo)

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

That, and for that absurd cost for the injector, you could buy enough piston rings to build a castle. I'd just run premix and buy a spare ring if you're that worried about it.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Nice dead thread, jerks.

Anyhow, where am I allowed to park one of these stupid things in Chicago? Everyone seems to think that Moped = Scooter, and I see them parked on bike racks all the time, but there's a dearth of information about whether or not I really can leave mine on a bike rack. I'd really like to start commuting on it but not if I have to pay ridiculous Chicago parking rates downtown.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In Milwaukee, which is not chicago, I know, you can park anything 50cc or under anywhere that you can park a bicycle. I would imagine a similar rule exists there?

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

https://www.facebook.com/theruffianshateyou
My gang is having a rally again this year at our favorite biker bar in St Louis. Come kick it Memorial Day Weekend.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

In Milwaukee, which is not chicago, I know, you can park anything 50cc or under anywhere that you can park a bicycle. I would imagine a similar rule exists there?

Apparently not - from what I've read - but so far I've had enough luck not to get a ticket. I'm planning on getting a removable plate holder - such http://www.platepuller.com/ - hoping to find something cheaper, though.

I haven't posted it yet, so here's my moped. Gave it over to the dudes at M.O.P.E.D. in Chicago and they got it up and running pretty quickly. Lots of mods done so far, lots of mods to go still.

Additions so far:

- Dellorto SHA 15.15 carb
- Motobecane CDI setup
- Magura grips
- Mid-rise bars
- EBR hydraulic fork
- Sava tires/tubes
- Long seat
- Folding buddy pegs
- Bar-end mirror
- New petcock
- (not shown) Folding rally pedals
- (not shown) New crank arms
- Replacement brake shoes / cables
- Rear shocks

Good thing I got the bike for free, considering how much money I've put into it already. I should take another picture now that I've cleaned the hell out of the bike as well.

Next up, totally up for suggestions:

- Throw a kit on it
- Black Gun
- Taking back the grips and replacing the whole throttle assembly
- Crossbar

At some point, I'm going to want to repaint it, but for now I'm just leaving it. Maybe at some point during the fall once I stop wanting to ride it every day.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

My gang, The Ruffians, had our rally this past weekend. Here is a video of the start of the rally. https://www.facebook.com/208999675843195/videos/839162042826952/
We rode through the bar at our favorite bike bar, Shady Jack's Saloon and did a 65 mile loop out into the bluffs.

Towing with belts:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

Towing with belts:

This is an incredible picture on so many levels.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That shade of purple is excellent. I love simple paintjobs.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Ripoff posted:

This is an incredible picture on so many levels.

We were stopped at an awful strip club in Fenton, mo., the queen of hearts, getting ready to leave and they rolled up out of nowhere. There was some nice applause.

OlDirtyBehrmann fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 26, 2015

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

Towing with belts:

The likelihood of this happening is why I use ratcheting tie downs to hold up my pants.

Nerf Herder
Sep 2, 2006

Scruffy-Looking

What do you guys think? I'll be using it to go to and from work (1-2 miles). And to pop to the shop to get a bag or 2 of groceries. Anything I should watch out for?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That seems like a really good bike and price for what little I know about those things. I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it was in my area.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

That price is crazy high around here. I would only really be concerned about the quality of the work done to the the engine. If it has a kit, pipe, and carb and only does 30-40 mph, they don't have a clue what they are doing.

Nerf Herder
Sep 2, 2006

Scruffy-Looking

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

That price is crazy high around here. I would only really be concerned about the quality of the work done to the the engine. If it has a kit, pipe, and carb and only does 30-40 mph, they don't have a clue what they are doing.

how crazy high is it?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Where the heck do you live where clean Puch mopeds are significantly cheaper than $650 on a regular basis?

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

I live in St Louis. I sold a clean maxi with a kstar, Leo Vince handmade pipe, and phbg with newish gazelles and a fresh rebuild on a stuffy crank for 400 last year. People list them for that much but they don't sell for months at that price. The most I ever paid for one moped, my magnum, is 500 and it was showroom perfect with a complete free spirit in parts.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Yeah well it's safe to say that's not normal. I can't find poo poo in Knoxville to and would jump on that in a heartbeat if I was in the market.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah I live somewhat close to St. Louis. You come across a clean Puch for $400 and I'll be in the car to pick it up.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Just keep an eye out on craigslist and make friends in the area. Between myself and the rest of my gang, we have bought at least 50 mopeds in that range, many for way less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

I live in St Louis. I sold a clean maxi with a kstar, Leo Vince handmade pipe, and phbg with newish gazelles and a fresh rebuild on a stuffy crank for 400 last year. People list them for that much but they don't sell for months at that price. The most I ever paid for one moped, my magnum, is 500 and it was showroom perfect with a complete free spirit in parts.

That's not normal, I had no trouble selling a bone stock maxi in good condition for $650 a few years back

• Locked thread