Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

KoldPT posted:

i'm the incredibly lovely goon poster who thinks good games are bad

well, my condolences, but it's not all bad. at least you're not a grown adult who actually thinks South Park or Newgrounds is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Games are really good.

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
tomb raider is a really beauitufl an d good game. im having a very good time playing this one :cheers:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

axleblaze posted:

Games are really good.

even the ones that are bad tbqh

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

hubris.height posted:

even the ones that are bad tbqh

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I'm enjoying the story in Divinity: Original Sin. Maybe it's because I obsessively talk to everyone but the world feels fleshed out

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Idiot: "Games are terrible, and I hate them! I don't have fun with them at all, or laugh at the good and funny jokes therein!"

Me: *kills them* *turns up Magus' theme* "You got whacked 'cause you're weak, kid."

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Up to the Elves posted:

tomb raider is a really beauitufl an d good game. im having a very good time playing this one :cheers:

Yeah, I had a lot of fun with it and I am bummed that the sequel is (apparently) xbone exclusive as I was leaning more towards a PS4 so now I dunno and will wait to see how it is and if it actually will be exclusive before committing. Some of those quicktime events and death animations are rough though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

actually they're all really bad and unfunny

I know that's what I was saying

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stux posted:

I know that's what I was saying
I haven't played Binding of Isaac but I wish your mom had left you to die in a basement just like the game's protagonist, Binding.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Idiot: "Games are terrible, and I hate them! I don't have fun with them at all, or laugh at the good and funny jokes therein!"

Me: *kills them* *turns up Magus' theme* "You got whacked 'cause you're weak, kid."

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yeah, I had a lot of fun with it and I am bummed that the sequel is (apparently) xbone exclusive as I was leaning more towards a PS4 so now I dunno and will wait to see how it is and if it actually will be exclusive before committing. Some of those quicktime events and death animations are rough though.

timed exclusive

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I will still be surprised is Rise never comes to PS4, especially with how determined they seem to be about not saying outright that this isn't going to happen.Like if it wasn't coming to PS4 they'd say that to try and sway people that they need and Xbone but they really have avoided saying that.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Davincie posted:

timed exclusive

It's also being released on Xbox 360 so we won't be getting a proper next-gen sequel until the 3rd game. :sigh:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i found the cheese shield in inquisition but can't give it to the frenchy guy

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

well, my condolences, but it's not all bad. at least you're not a grown adult who actually thinks South Park or Newgrounds is funny

all of dan paladin/tom fulp's games are goty of the year they came out in

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

axleblaze posted:

I will still be surprised is Rise never comes to PS4, especially with how determined they seem to be about not saying outright that this isn't going to happen.Like if it wasn't coming to PS4 they'd say that to try and sway people that they need and Xbone but they really have avoided saying that.

yeah also they have literally stated on multiple occasions that it is coming out for ps4 and is only timed lmao

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

Up to the Elves posted:

I had quite a few graphical artifacts throughout the game and it really put me off. I should maybe try and play it again sometime, the game seemed really beautiful other than that.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Up to the Elves posted:

It's a fun game. The controls take a bit of getting used to, though. Maybe it's different on other platforms, I own the Saturn version.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The recent tomb raider game is what naughty dogs was trying to do with uncharted but failed 3 times in a row: make a good game.

New Lara Croft game is really good too. Squeenix got a really good IP going.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Actually Uncharted is also good.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

They are both just ok

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Nah tomb raider was really fun while uncharted wasn't. Bow and arrow best weapon.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
No really, they are both fun. I did like TR better but they are both fun.

You should stop not liking cool games. Games are cool.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

some games are more cool than others

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
For me they are both good doing things better than the other in some areas while neither really does what the other does better badly. TR has better shooting and platforming but I still enjoyed it in Uncharted a great deal. Uncharted has better puzzles, set pieces, writing and pacing but TR still doesn't do any of these things too bad. They're also both really pretty. They're both cool games and cool people like both.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Nah. Most people like tomb raider and will admit uncharted isn't as cool or good. Mainly because there aren't really any puzzles in uncharted and the shooty bits are really bland. Voice acting is good though and honestly naughty dog should just be a cartoon or movie studio since they're not really good at the whole making a game thing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I've seen far more people hate on Tomb Raider than Uncharted. People seem to oddly not like that game for reasons I've never fully understood.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Tomb Raider was a great game but a part of me still wants to play the early stuff they showed off where it was an open-world game on horseback with you fighting Shadow of the Colossus monsters.

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's a fun game. The controls take a bit of getting used to, though. Maybe it's different on other platforms, I own the Saturn version.

The Saturn version of the original Tomb Raider actually has hosed up textures because the Saturn used squares instead of triangles for polygons so as a quick fix they set the length of the extra line to 0 and it stretched everything out.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Sleeveless posted:

The Saturn version of the original Tomb Raider actually has hosed up textures because the Saturn used squares instead of triangles for polygons so as a quick fix they set the length of the extra line to 0 and it stretched everything out.

I heard a lot of third-party (multiplatform) Saturn games had to do something like that. And that most if not all third-parties never actually utilized both processors on the console.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

hubris.height posted:

oh man do you guys remember newgrounds? cause i got this game from there on my ps4 called binding of issac

look, you can throw poo! can you imagine?!

yeah man i also like to analyze the mysoginy in binding of isaac and the overarching wrong themes. did you know you always rescue the princess in acclaimed Super Mario Bros and that's chauvinistic

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
absolute sincere post: the binding of isaac artstyle and general look is trash but if you care about that in a game you're a human being

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Saturn was a system made thinking that sprites were still going to be the way games were. This is odd considering Sega had polygon based hits before the Saturn came out. Saturn had the best sprites out of the three at the time but that hardly mattered because the world had moved on to ugly polygons. Sony just got lucky and had a system that handled the two things the other two couldn't that really made that gen stand out. It did polys better than Sega and FMVs better than Nintendo. Both of those were things that just weren't important in the previous gen, so their experience kind of worked against them.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Not really. Its really slow and nothing exciting happens.

this is an actually good opinion

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eN7cZ-gy4Y&t=205s

A guy released a 4GB map pack for the original Tomb Raider and made FMVs of himself talking to Lara about the game, it's amazing.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

axleblaze posted:

Saturn was a system made thinking that sprites were still going to be the way games were. This is odd considering Sega had polygon based hits before the Saturn came out. Saturn had the best sprites out of the three at the time but that hardly mattered because the world had moved on to ugly polygons. Sony just got lucky and had a system that handled the two things the other two couldn't that really made that gen stand out. It did polys better than Sega and FMVs better than Nintendo. Both of those were things that just weren't important in the previous gen, so their experience kind of worked against them.

i still have to play the two isos of clockwork knight

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
There is only one roguelike for me and it is dungeons of dredmor because I am a casual baby

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Ahundredbux posted:

There is only one roguelike for me and it is dungeons of dredmor because I am a casual baby

i enjoyed that

only got to dredmor himself once and died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ArfJason posted:

absolute sincere post: the binding of isaac artstyle and general look is trash but if you care about that in a game you're a human being

yeah just pour the poo poo into my eye holes

i too enjoy games that look like i'm reading arf jason posts

• Locked thread