Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

computer parts posted:

Most of the paper bags I've seen don't have handles, that's my big issue.

At least in LA, I've never seen a handle-less paper bag from any major chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
The handles make things worse ,if you lift it in any way except directly up they rip off and gently caress up the bag.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
What was the verdict on eggs? I see organic, free range, and cage free. Brown and white. Regular and jumbo. So many goddamn choices.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

drilldo squirt posted:

The handles make things worse ,if you lift it in any way except directly up they rip off and gently caress up the bag.
Yeah. Theyre for carrying the bag not dragging it around on the ground.

Does a paper bag need a "this end up" sign on its side or something?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Duck, from a farmers market

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

FRINGE posted:

No but it needs to not rip if I lift it slightly to one side.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Kobayashi posted:

What was the verdict on eggs? I see organic, free range, and cage free. Brown and white. Regular and jumbo. So many goddamn choices.

I buy the cheap ones.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ask the person you are buying from how they treat their chickens. If the answer sounds reasonable then buy them, if it sounds horrifying or if the person doesn't know how the chickens are treated then don't buy them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

withak posted:

Ask the person you are buying from how they treat their chickens. If the answer sounds reasonable then buy them, if it sounds horrifying or if the person doesn't know how the chickens are treated then don't buy them.

Do you guys not shop in grocery chains or something? Do I ask the checkout clerk how they treat their chickens?

Also this plastic bag ban is dumb as hell. I save the plastic bags and use them around the house or recycle them back to the store like every grocery chain has. Why do I need to buy canvas bags when I already recycle and reuse the existing bags?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Do I ask the checkout clerk how they treat their chickens?

See my response above.

If you don't want to get eggs from the person who raised the chickens then just buy the kind with the prettiest packaging.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FCKGW posted:

Why do I need to buy canvas bags when I already recycle and reuse the existing bags?

Because a) most people don't and b) even if you reuse them, you still have to recycle them once they break (and I have heard at one time that plastic film recycling is expensive). And there's always the chance that c) you're out traveling so screw actually hanging on to that bag while you're visiting Yosemite.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Why did they make us stop spraying oil on the road to keep the dust down? It worked great and I knew not to eat the road, so what's the problem? Big government jeez.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Unleaded gasoline? More like unfreedom gasoline.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

Unleaded gasoline? More like unfreedom gasoline.
The sad thing is the industry ruined the life of the guy that outed how it was poisoning us all.

There are people now looking into the rise and fall of national (US) violence and its co-relation with environmental lead levels (basically they are looking into global brain damage). It was that pervasive.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

FCKGW posted:

Also this plastic bag ban is dumb as hell. I save the plastic bags and use them around the house or recycle them back to the store like every grocery chain has. Why do I need to buy canvas bags when I already recycle and reuse the existing bags?

There is a like a billion square miles of plastic poo poo in the ocean because people don't, on average, dispose of the bags properly (I exaggerated, but it is a real problem). That is why. I know it sucks, since I use the bags to clean out my cat box daily. I guess I'm saved, since the ban isn't going through, but don't ever underestimate how loving stupid people are.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
If only there was an organic and biodegradable option for making convenient plastic bags that didn't rely on non-biodegradable petroleum distillates and allowed people to use some seriously handy designs for 1-2 use plastic bags :420:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FRINGE posted:

As someone who bagged groceries for a couple years at a place that had the paper bags with handles, they're useless. Of course they don't pop off of every bag, but it happens often enough that I wouldn't use them for anything weighing more than a loaf of bread.

Paper bags are just too big. Either you fill the bag and they disintegrate under the load or you leave every bag half-empty, which seems pretty drat wasteful by itself. If they're going to switch to paper exclusively they need to either make the bags half the size or use a way thicker paper stock.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

bango skank posted:

As someone who bagged groceries for a couple years at a place that had the paper bags with handles, they're useless. Of course they don't pop off of every bag, but it happens often enough that I wouldn't use them for anything weighing more than a loaf of bread.

Paper bags are just too big. Either you fill the bag and they disintegrate under the load or you leave every bag half-empty, which seems pretty drat wasteful by itself. If they're going to switch to paper exclusively they need to either make the bags half the size or use a way thicker paper stock.

Paper bag handles just pop off at the slightest of stress. I'd end up double bagging even moderate loads so I'd be using double the amount of paper bags more often than not . Disposable plastic bags can hold an insane amount of weight without tearing. If there was a compromise between them I'd be all in favor of it. Renewable sourced/biodegradable stretchy..ish bags you can use for grocery shopping once, and maybe again, and then for something really gross down the line :420:

Kitties need clean boxes and our plumbing doesn't like clumping litter. Gross organic trash shouldn't need to be perma-sealed in some random Vons bag until AD 87000

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Minarchist posted:

Kitties need clean boxes and our plumbing doesn't like clumping litter. Gross organic trash shouldn't need to be perma-sealed in some random Vons bag until AD 87000
Actually, putting kitty poop in the landfill or in the compost spreads toxoplasmosis! There are no good solutions. But if you do want your kitty poop bags biodegradable, you can buy bona fide biodegradable trash bags; they're what we use to line the kitchen compost bin. Marginally (very marginally) better in the long term than thin plastic.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Lift paper bags from the bottom, problem solved. The handles are for very light things. Good grief I wonder how some of you make it out of your bathroom alive.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

Good grief I wonder how some of you make it out of your bathroom alive.

Lot of assumptions here.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

What's so hard about paper bags?

I have no car, and routinely carry fully-loaded paper bags (with heavy poo poo in them, like beer, jars of stuff, etc) home on the train/bus, and almost never have them rip on me. Just get your groceries double-bagged and never apply diagonal pressure to the handles...always lift the bags straight up if they're heavy, and make sure you don't swing them all retarded when you're walking. And if you're worried the handles might break, hold the bag from the bottom. It's not rocket science.

We may all be goonlords that have trouble leaving the bathroom alive*, but paper bags are some easy poo poo to figure out.

*I just never use my bathroom. What do you think i use the paper bags for when i get home? Checkmate, bag failures :smug:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I put my groceries in plastic bags and them put them in the back of my Ford Explorer for the 1/2 mile drive back to my house, what's so hard.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

FCKGW posted:

I put my groceries in plastic bags and them put them in the back of my Ford Explorer for the 1/2 mile drive back to my house, what's so hard.

"Groceries" is a strong word for Dr. Pepper and microwave meals.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kaal posted:

"Groceries" is a strong word for Dr. Pepper and microwave meals.

Dr. Pepper? Pshh, only the finest Mountain Dew is worthy of any self-respecting goon.

Then again, that guy drives an SUV instead of a rascal scooter, so maybe Dr. Pepper is more his style.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm pretty sure Mountain Dew Code Red is the gooniest drink, but I'd be happy to hear arguments to the contrary.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

VikingofRock posted:

I'm pretty sure Mountain Dew Code Red is the gooniest drink, but I'd be happy to hear arguments to the contrary.

They have Doritos flavored Mountain Dew now.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I hope in 20 years cats become the next plastic bag. Take that to mean the absolute worst of whatever you want it to mean.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

I hope in 20 years cats become the next plastic bag. Take that to mean the absolute worst of whatever you want it to mean.
Toxo is the new ebola.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

doctorfrog posted:

They're already causing the death of ocean life.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cats killed all of the songbirds, now they are moving on to everything else.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

withak posted:

Cats killed all of the songbirds, now they are moving on to everything else.

There's nothing but crows and mockingbirds left here. I see a few seagulls getting their asses kicked by crows and the odd cranes/swans/geese migrating on occasion. And maybe a couple hawks. For such a "nice area" the wildlife is unsettling :smith:

FRINGE posted:

Toxo is the new ebola.

If you own a cat, or have owned a cat, you probably have it. I probably have it. It's not so bad. It's...calming. Good. You should try it. It's better this way. Join us :v:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Minarchist posted:

If you own a cat, or have owned a cat, you probably have it. I probably have it. It's not so bad. It's...calming. Good. You should try it. It's better this way. Join us :v:
Never! Death to catters!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671083

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
gently caress LIBBY! Huge disappointment.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

doctorfrog posted:

I may or may not know of "possum traps" that were actually meant to target cats near bird habitat.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Because foodchat is never always acceptable in the California Politics Thread, California's ban on the sale of out of state foie gras has been invalidated by the U.S. District Court for California's Central District, which ruled that California's ban was overruled by the federal Poultry Products Inspections Act.

The lawsuit had been filed by a group of out-of-state foie gras producers, retailers, and importers. The ruling also invalidates a lawsuit filed by the Animal Legal Defense Fund against Napa's La Toque restaurant, a restaurant accused of violating the ban. La Toque's chef, Ken Frank, has announced that he intends to begin serving foie gras at La Toque this evening.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Only 15 years till high-speed rail!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Trabisnikof posted:

Only 15 years till high-speed rail!

30 years until Los Angeles, a city that's probably a top 30 world economy on it's own, gets an okay metro rail system

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Because foodchat is never always acceptable in the California Politics Thread, California's ban on the sale of out of state foie gras has been invalidated by the U.S. District Court for California's Central District, which ruled that California's ban was overruled by the federal Poultry Products Inspections Act.

The lawsuit had been filed by a group of out-of-state foie gras producers, retailers, and importers. The ruling also invalidates a lawsuit filed by the Animal Legal Defense Fund against Napa's La Toque restaurant, a restaurant accused of violating the ban. La Toque's chef, Ken Frank, has announced that he intends to begin serving foie gras at La Toque this evening.

What the gently caress?

quote:

The judge ruled that the law was unconstitutional because it interferes with an existing federal law that regulates poultry products.

Last year, the courts rejected a different argument against the state ban -- that it improperly tried to regulate interstate commerce. But the new argument -- referred to by lawyers as “preemption” -- succeeded. The state could appeal Wilson’s ruling, but, for now, foie gras devotees can celebrate.

That's a troubling precedent for a lot more than just foie gras if states can't regulate things more tightly than federal laws. What's that do to state environmental, labor, etc. laws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually, the interstate commerce clause of the US constitution (which is a loophole Congress drives truckloads of legislation through, but that's a tangent) is pretty clear about reserving to the federal congress the right to regulate interstate commerce. The article says that an appeal on that basis did not get past a court, but I find that really surprising. I wonder what the judge's ruling was based on.

That doesn't stop California from saying that (for example) carmakers have to sell cars that conform to CARB... but that only applies to NEW cars, and if you buy a new car as a resident of another state, you can (and CA pretty much can't legislate away your right to) bring it into the state, whether it conforms to CARB or not.

I'm not a constitutional lawyer but my expectation is that outright banning products made in other states is unconstitutional.

The egg legislation is probably a better model for CA to deal with unethical treatment of fois gras birds anyway: create a baseline for ethical treatment of ducks/geese/etc., and then ban products that don't meet that baseline. Out-of-state farms can then choose to conform, or not. While the current practice of force-feeding birds to a point that is clearly torturing them in order to get their livers to be as fatty as possible is pretty horrible, I'm pretty sure you can just eat ordinary duck liver, or at the very least, fatten up your ducks and geese with a high-fat diet and then accept that level of liver fat.