Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Volkerball posted:

Not really. A frontier is a vast, unexplored expanse that you are among the first to explore, which West Bank is not. They aren't moving there for adventure or to find a new way to strike it rich. They're just moving there so Palestinians can't. Not very frontiersmanlike.

More like Invaders than Frontiersman. Or Colonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Colonist is good.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

My Imaginary GF posted:

Not really, they have connotations of wild days, lots of alcohol, and the enduring spirit of American can-do attitude.

Calling settlers 'frontiersmen' would be an appropriate move.

For American Zionists Settlers has no real negative connotation either though. There's no need for rebranding for them and the audience who is going to have a problem with settlers is going to have those same problems with Frontiersmen.

Volkerball posted:

Not really. A frontier is a vast, unexplored expanse that you are among the first to explore, which West Bank is not. They aren't moving there for adventure or to find a new way to strike it rich. They're just moving there so Palestinians can't. Not very frontiersmanlike.

Haven't you heard? Zionist colonists made the barren desert the Palestinians were (weren't?) living in bloom. Except when it comes to demanding more military aid from the US the Israeli propaganda industry likes to pretend Palestinians don't exist.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I've always thought the term conquistador was the most apt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Good imagery. They lack the infectious diseases to make this work, however...

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Good imagery. They lack the infectious diseases to make this work, however...

Tons of pictures of kids swimming in standing water in the ruins of Gaza, surely infectious diseases are pretty common in those parts.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Some of the more hippie-like ideological settlers kind of act like frontiersmen. There are less-settled areas where you can just put up a shack and then cry to the Federales when the natives get uppity.

The Wild West Bank.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Doesn't fit half as well as "settler" does. The conquistadors were conquerors seeking to exploit local resources, not civilians moving into a territory and forcing out the natives after the military beats them into submission.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

litany of gulps posted:

Tons of pictures of kids swimming in standing water in the ruins of Gaza, surely infectious diseases are pretty common in those parts.

Yes, well, if cholera or endemic malaria were to break out in Gaza, I'm uncertain as to what responsibility Israel has to risk Israeli lives in order to intervene for Gazans.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 3, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think your uncertainty with regard to the assignment of responsibility can be taken for granted.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Edit: YNET posted a recording of the comm lines during the massacre of Shujaiya, it's mostly just IDF soldiers panicking out of their minds one particularly damning snippet I thought was noteworthy "Get the tanks into this loving (refugee) camp and lift it up into the sky". Hell of a pinpoint operation.

Let's just post that US Army PDF about declining IDF readiness over and over.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Hell of a time to have such a PR blunder.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/02/world/meast/mideast-fatah-skulls-facebook/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

quote:

The political party of Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas posted a drawn image online showing a large pile of skulls and skeletons with Jewish stars on them.

An Israeli government spokesman called it "despicable."

Along with the image, posted Wednesday to the Facebook page of the Fatah party, are the words "lingering on your skulls."

When contacted by CNN on Friday, a member of the Fatah Central Committee disavowed the image.

"Fatah did not design this image," Mahmoud al-Aloul said. The person who posted it to Fatah's page "is currently being asked to remove it. The image and the text do not reflect the opinions of Fatah." The image was then pulled from the page.

The image, which also includes a rifle and the Fatah flag, quickly drew the ire of some people who saw it on social media. Some, including Ofir Gendelman, spokesman for Israel's Prime Minister, pointed to it as a sign that Fatah is not as "moderate" as it's often described.

Fatah is considered the more moderate of the two major Palestinian political parties. Hamas, which controls Gaza, has engaged in repeated battles with Israel in recent years. Fatah controls the West Bank.

("Fatah may not be moderate, but relative to Hamas, it is restrained," Michael Rubin of the American Enterprise Institute said in congressional testimony in 2013.)

The image was posted as part of an online celebration of Fatah's 50th anniversary. The group was founded on January 1, 1965, carrying out its first major attack against Israel.

Ehud Yaari of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy called the latest image "typical of their ongoing propaganda."

It's not the first time Fatah Facebook images have sparked anger. After three Israeli teens were kidnapped and killed last year, "The Facebook page for Fatah, the Palestinian Authority's main party, had a number of cartoons, including one showing the three teenagers as Jewish rats, wearing yarmulkes, caught on a fishing line," world affairs columnist Frida Ghitis wrote on CNN.com.

Way to give more ammunition to the Israeli right.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'd like a link to the last one / similar compilations, if anyone has them.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, well, if cholera or endemic malaria were to break out in Gaza, I'm uncertain as to what responsibility Israel has to risk Israeli lives in order to intervene for Gazans.

I was reading about cholera outbreaks due to protective edge, but honestly I suspect the Israeli assistance would be bullet-related rather than anything medical.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The following is an archived blog post from the IDF spokesperson official website, it was removed yesterday from the website, anyone wants to guess why?

https://archive.today/uaCEu

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nckdictator posted:

Hell of a time to have such a PR blunder.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/02/world/meast/mideast-fatah-skulls-facebook/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

Way to give more ammunition to the Israeli right.

Wow, yeah, way to host a Facebook page to which people can post poo poo. :rolleyes:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The following is an archived blog post from the IDF spokesperson official website, it was removed yesterday from the website, anyone wants to guess why?

"Only Palestinian rocks can kill." You're welcome, IDF Spokespeople.

(Might be a good time to remind everyone that MK Miri Regev first came to prominence as the IDF Spokesperson).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Because of settlers throwing rocks at a US convoy a day or two ago, no doubt. Nice catch.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wow, yeah, way to host a Facebook page to which people can post poo poo. :rolleyes:

Looks like it actually was posted by the Fatah Facebook page - Times of Israel had a screenshot showing the bit under it that shows who posted it, and it matched the Fatah page's profile picture.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

Looks like it actually was posted by the Fatah Facebook page - Times of Israel had a screenshot showing the bit under it that shows who posted it, and it matched the Fatah page's profile picture.

I stand corrected. CNN story wasn't making that clear.

ETA: Oh, this is looking to be a very, very silly election season:

Together we'll erase Netanyahu's 6 years in power.

Good Sabbath

(From Labor Party's official Facebook page, no seriously!)

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 3, 2015

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I stand corrected. CNN story wasn't making that clear.

ETA: Oh, this is looking to be a very, very silly election season:

Together we'll erase Netanyahu's 6 years in power.

Good Sabbath

(From Labor Party's official Facebook page, no seriously!)

Is that...Steve Carrell?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Only Palestinian rocks can kill." You're welcome, IDF Spokespeople.

(Might be a good time to remind everyone that MK Miri Regev first came to prominence as the IDF Spokesperson).

I'm really digging all the american friends of likud revealing what huge traitors they are in this case blaming the American diplomats for daring to travel on settler lands.

MIGF any input on this? Are you ok with american diplomats being assaulted with deadly weapons as long as its from jewish hands?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Il Federale posted:

Is that...Steve Carrell?

Nope, but I guess we have a leading man for Isaac Herzog's biopic! :haw:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

After a bit of speculation it's now confirmed that Abbas submitted a 12(3) declaration to the ICC back-dating jurisdiction to 13th June 2014 which has the specific aim of bringing Protective Edge under the scope of a possible investigation.

http://www.icc-cpi.int/iccdocs/PIDS/press/Palestine_A_12-3.pdf#search=palestine

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

kustomkarkommando posted:

After a bit of speculation it's now confirmed that Abbas submitted a 12(3) declaration to the ICC back-dating jurisdiction to 13th June 2014 which has the specific aim of bringing Protective Edge under the scope of a possible investigation.

IDF is conducting its own investigations; does this mean that they are going to come under increased scrutiny, or is it just going to be accepted as sufficient?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

IDF is conducting its own investigations; does this mean that they are going to come under increased scrutiny, or is it just going to be accepted as sufficient?

To get over the complementarity principle and proceed with their own investigations the ICC would have to prove one of the following:

Rome Statute Article 17(2) posted:

(a) The proceedings were or are being undertaken or the national decision was made for the purpose of shielding the person concerned from criminal responsibility for crimes within the jurisdiction of the Court referred to in article 5;

(b) There has been an unjustified delay in the proceedings which in the circumstances is inconsistent with an intent to bring the person concerned to justice;

(c) The proceedings were not or are not being conducted independently or impartially, and they were or are being conducted in a manner which, in the circumstances, is inconsistent with an intent to bring the person concerned to justice.

Proving any of that will be an uphill battle, especially if Israel refuses to share the details of it's own investigations with the ICC. They will try to gauge the impartiality of the proceedings externally and they will probably pass muster.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 4, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

To get over the complementarity principle and proceed with their own investigations the ICC would have to prove one of the following:

Proving any of that will be an uphill battle, especially if Israel refuses to share the details of it's own investigations with the ICC.

I think (b) might be the best shot; IDF judiciary consistently delays investigations, with the intent of waiting until suspects are out of its jurisdiction (which is 6 months or a year after discharge, I think?). Maybe that feeds into (c) also. (a) is probably going to be the hardest.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Aljazeera is reporting Israel is holding 127 million worth of taxes from Palestine in retaliation of them joining the ICC. I guess Israel doesnt care how much of a petty bitch they look like.

E: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2015/01/reports-israel-freezes-palestinian-tax-funds-20151318526717391.html

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh, like they don't do that every other day already.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Aljazeera is reporting Israel is holding 127 million worth of taxes from Palestine in retaliation of them joining the ICC. I guess Israel doesnt care how much of a petty bitch they look like.

E: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2015/01/reports-israel-freezes-palestinian-tax-funds-20151318526717391.html

Israeli outlets are saying the same thing. It's a common reprisal for the Palestinians getting uppity.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Is that seriously what his signature looks like? It's... 3 lines attached to an oval. I realize that illegible/strange signatures are fairly common, especially among politicians who have to sign (or have secretaries sign) a bunch of stuff, but still.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm really digging all the american friends of likud revealing what huge traitors they are in this case blaming the American diplomats for daring to travel on settler lands.

MIGF any input on this? Are you ok with american diplomats being assaulted with deadly weapons as long as its from jewish hands?

The area was not secure. American diplomatic security cannot be guaranteed by IDF in Palestinian territories. If the settlements were to be formally annexed to Israel as part of a comprehensive agreement with PLO on the future of Palestinian statehood, then IDF could guarantee American diplomatic security.

Palestinian attempts at joining ICC in order to bring charges against Israel are likely to provoke a war which Palestinians cannot win and cannot afford to fight. Such brinksmanship on behalf of Abbas demonstrates his lack of leadership.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Israeli outlets are saying the same thing. It's a common reprisal for the Palestinians getting uppity.

"getting uppity" is certainly one way to whitewash brinksmanship likely to provoke war

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

The area was not secure. American diplomatic security cannot be guaranteed by IDF in Palestinian territories. If the settlements were to be formally annexed to Israel as part of a comprehensive agreement with PLO on the future of Palestinian statehood, then IDF could guarantee American diplomatic security.

Palestinian attempts at joining ICC in order to bring charges against Israel are likely to provoke a war which Palestinians cannot win and cannot afford to fight. Such brinksmanship on behalf of Abbas demonstrates his lack of leadership.

"getting uppity" is certainly one way to whitewash brinksmanship likely to provoke war

Are you serious? This makes it so Israel can't directly commit atrocities towards Palestine anymore, in theory at least.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Are you serious? This makes it so Israel can't directly commit atrocities towards Palestine anymore, in theory at least.

Welcome to the operational theory for understanding US-Israeli relations. Israel can't commit atrocities towards Palestine, as Israel is a firm ally of America, serving as the foremost bulwark against arab populism.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Considering that Adei Ad, the settlement in question, is considered illegal even by Israel, I find it highly unlikely that Israel would desire to annex it. In fact, it's unlikely that the IDF would be welcome at all in the area, since the last time they were there was for the purpose of dismantling and demolishing parts of the outpost.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/west-bank-tense-as-evacuation-fears-prompt-settlers-to-attack-olive-trees-20090724-dw7h.html

quote:

MONDAY started out with Israel Defence Forces troops demolishing a solitary caravan on a hilltop in the north of the occupied West Bank.

Not officially a settlement, not large enough to be termed an illegal outpost, the site known by settlers as Adei Ad looked like home to a handful of dishevelled campers.

But although their campsite had been established on land owned by Palestinians, and was considered illegal under Israeli law, the demolition had violent consequences.

Settlers from the nearby outpost of Kedumim quickly thronged to the site, throwing stones and injuring one soldier.

News that the IDF had also removed a few shacks from another outpost named Nofei Yarden, and several containers from a third named Mitzpe Danny, only added to the tension. A group of 15 masked settlers appeared on the highway to the Palestinian city of Nablus, hurling rocks at passing traffic.

An army spokesman said later that five suspects had been arrested.

It's no wonder that news of the IDF's movements in the West Bank spread quickly. Walk through any Jewish settlement and it's hard to miss the green posters covering almost every public space.

"Do you know about an upcoming evacuation?" read the signs in Hebrew. "Call the outpost operations centre on 052 630 2222."

Were the IDF's actions finally a sign that it was moving to deliver on five years of Israeli promises to the US to evacuate 23 larger West Bank outposts?

Some activists at Kiryat Arba, a Jewish settlement near the ancient city of Hebron, did not wait to find out.

Masked settlers on horseback went on the rampage, setting fire to hundreds of Palestinian olive trees, using machetes to cut down hundreds more. Israeli police counted 10 Palestinian cars that were set on fire and vandalised.

On Tuesday, the Israeli newspaper Haaretz published a front-page story saying that the IDF was ready to evacuate all 23 key outposts in a single day.

After seeing that report, eight settlers from Yitzhar, in the northern West Bank, donned masks and attacked the Palestinian village of Burin. About 30 ancient olive trees were uprooted and hundreds more damaged.

"This is the where the real hatred is," said one IDF soldier who spoke on condition of anonymity. "We cannot enter the outposts safely to talk to anyone about calming things down, or about not using violence. Things are out of our control."

A leading settler activist, Itamar Ben-Gvir, who works as assistant to Michael Ben-Ari, an MP for the far-right National Union Party, said that all settlers on the West Bank were on alert and warned that blood would be spilled.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

My Imaginary GF posted:

Welcome to the operational theory for understanding US-Israeli relations. Israel can't commit atrocities towards Palestine, as Israel is a firm ally of America, serving as the foremost bulwark against arab populism.

I can't help but laugh at how farcical this 'alliance' is.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Panzeh posted:

I can't help but laugh at how farcical this 'alliance' is.

Sometimes, when you understand the present too well, it stops you from seeing the future.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

Considering that Adei Ad, the settlement in question, is considered illegal even by Israel, I find it highly unlikely that Israel would desire to annex it. In fact, it's unlikely that the IDF would be welcome at all in the area, since the last time they were there was for the purpose of dismantling and demolishing parts of the outpost.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/west-bank-tense-as-evacuation-fears-prompt-settlers-to-attack-olive-trees-20090724-dw7h.html

Exactly. The lack of Palestinian agreement on terms for long-term peace have resulted in an attack on American diplomats in nominal Palestinian territory. Palestine should pay indemnities to America in order to guarantee that such attacks are not without consequence.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

Exactly. The lack of Palestinian agreement on terms for long-term peace have resulted in an attack on American diplomats in nominal Palestinian territory. Palestine should pay indemnities to America in order to guarantee that such attacks are not without consequence.

Yes! YES!

It's like you're really trying.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TildeATH posted:

Yes! YES!

It's like you're really trying.

Therefore, in order to secure such indemnities should they be requested, Israel has indefinitely frozen PLO accounts. Hence Israel is a steadfast American ally: Israel continues to adhere to its proactive policy approach towards the security of American interests.

Palestinians must realize that their continued inability to reach and adhere to a long-term peace agreement with Israel continues to be contrary to the interests of regional stability and security, and actively harms American interests in the region. Why do Palestinians hate American interests?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Imaginary GF posted:

Are you even pretending to advocate imperial realpolitik anymore? When a border tribe assaults your representatives you don't extract tribute from the next tribe over, you enact retribution on the source of aggression. Send a company of marines to corral and execute a fifth of Adei Ad's military-aged males and perhaps they'll think twice about throwing stones the next time agents of their ruling hegemon pass by the village. If the recalcitrant client state that backs the tribe makes a fuss, simply take hostages from among whatever members of the ruling class's extended families happen to be within easy reach. Make an example of a few dynasts' sons and daughters and they may learn the value of both loyalty and submission, and discipline their auxiliary tribes accordingly.

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 4, 2015

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

zeal posted:

Are you even pretending to advocate imperial realpolitik anymore?

I think it's clear that he's ceased to pretend at all. He had me going for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zeal posted:

Are you even pretending to advocate imperial realpolitik anymore? When a border tribe assaults your representatives you don't extract tribute from the next tribe over, you enact retribution on the source of aggression. Send a company of marines to corral and execute a fifth of Adei Ad's military-aged males and perhaps they'll think twice about throwing stones the next time agents of their ruling hegemon pass by the village. If the recalcitrant client state that backs the tribe makes a fuss, simply take hostages from among whatever members of the ruling class's extended families happen to be within easy reach. Make an example of a few dynasts' sons and daughters and they may learn the value of both loyalty and submission, and discipline their auxiliary tribes accordingly.

You exact payment from whomever claims sovreignty over the village which attacked you. Palestine is free to enter an agreement with Israel by which it renounces sovreignty over the territory in which American diplomats were attacked.

• Locked thread