Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If its like Ducktales than I shouldn't have a problem. Its not really about difficulty so much as its about frustration. I've beaten super meat boy and donkey kong country returns - but there's something about the old school Mega Mans and Castlevanias that just destroys my ability to win.

And Shovel Knight is on sale. Bought with my DDP money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Shovel Knight leans towards being easy with achievement challenges and such to impose on yourself to make it harder if you want.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

majormonotone posted:

Shovel Knight is cool. The level design gets a little worse as the game goes on but it's still one of the best retro-styled platformers.

Uh no actually Tower 1 is like the best level in the game and that's right at the end.

Shovel Knight is somewhat tricky, but the reusable items make it quite a lot easier. You can cheese the game with HP/MP ichors and the item that gives short-term invincibility, but if you do that you're a bitch. Self-imposed challenges are what makes the game actually hard.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Uh no actually Tower 1 is like the best level in the game and that's right at the end.

All the Tower levels are good, I was more talking about Propeller Knight and Polar Knight.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Flying Machine is also a good level. Also the Clockwork Tower is a really good level. Stranded Ship and Iron Whale are pretty much the only levels that aren't really good. Shovel Knight owns and is 100% worth your 15bux.

e: Flying Machine and Clockwork Tower are good levels because they remind you that Shovel Knight is also a platforming game :getin:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Course not. They're talking about FFVIII :v:.

I tried replaying FFVIII a few years ago, because I kinda hated it as I was playing it, then I played the last quarter of it in a hurricane shelter on a 7" battery-powered black & white TV, and for whatever reason, developed fond memories of it. That's gotta be one of the worst-aged PSX games. I couldn't handle it. FFIX fared much better due to the wildly different art style. That is a Good Game, and Vivi is Cute.

Shovel Knight's difficulty is perfect. Great progression, and can be pretty hard from the get-go if you want it to be (destroying check points, hard mode cheat codes, no items/upgrades, etc.) Or you can just pretty much plow right through it only dying to pitfalls a couple of times along the way.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

majormonotone posted:

All the Tower levels are good, I was more talking about Propeller Knight and Polar Knight.
What? Those are some of the best-designed levels in the game, with a lot of good touches to accommodate their challenge. The aurora platform in Polar Knight's stage is one of the most clever mechanics I've ever seen in a platformer, and its very well-used.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ultigonio posted:

The aurora platform in Polar Knight's stage is one of the most clever mechanics I've ever seen in a platformer, and its very well-used.

I don't even remember what that is, which is great, since that means I'm good to go for another playthrough tomorrow.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The thing with Shovel Knight is that it's generous with checkpoints and the penalty for dying is really mild which makes the tough parts a fun challenge instead of rage inducing. There's also an option to smash said checkpoints for extra cash if you're one of those people who enjoy redoing an entire level whenever you gently caress up a jump. It's great.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
That flying machine and its windy rooms can gently caress right off it's just like those disappearing blocks in megaman its just memorization and time wasting

The levels with the little gargoyle platforms that spit out rainbows were really frustrating until I discovered that they just stop at the bottom of the screen and don't in-fact keep falling past it until you die, then those areas became easy-as-heck

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davinci posted:

The levels with the little gargoyle platforms that spit out rainbows were really frustrating until I discovered that they just stop at the bottom of the screen and don't in-fact keep falling past it until you die, then those areas became easy-as-heck

But they were easy as heck without knowing that? That was the breathing room, no challenge section of the level! The platform blocked shots, killed everything, and moved in an easily controlled pattern. I could sleep in that section and have no problem.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

But they were easy as heck without knowing that? That was the breathing room, no challenge section of the level! The platform blocked shots, killed everything, and moved in an easily controlled pattern. I could sleep in that section and have no problem.

They were the only parts of either of those levels that I had any trouble with.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Davinci posted:

They were the only parts of either of those levels that I had any trouble with.

Not the huge stretch of spikes at the end of the level?

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Davinci posted:

That flying machine and its windy rooms can gently caress right off
You go up, or you go down. You go to the left, or go to the right. Not to mention the fact that the switch happens fast and a checkpoint is directly before the introduction to them.

quote:

it's just like those disappearing blocks in megaman its just memorization and time wasting
I'm honestly confused, how? Magic blocks were awful but the wind is more comparable to the gravity spheres in Super Meat Boy, except the wind can only push you one direction per source.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

majormonotone posted:

Polar Knight is a loving great boss though, so it evens out.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
To whoever was playing shovel knight for the first time: you don't need to use any of the chalice things, I didn't my first run through and the game's difficulty was basically perfect. Play it that way.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Am I playing it wrong if I shut it off every time I die and haven't progressed much at all over the month since I bought it? :/

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Am I playing it wrong if I shut it off every time I die and haven't progressed much at all over the month since I bought it? :/

what? Have you never played a game before?

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Going to chime in that the sale made me buy Shovel Knight and yeah, it's pretty great.

EDIT: 3DS version if it helps anyone decide.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I also bought the 3DS version and it's pretty okay.

I would of regretted buying it at the full price of $20 local, but at sale price I don't really regret it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Glenn posted:

Going to chime in that the sale made me buy Shovel Knight and yeah, it's pretty great.

EDIT: 3DS version if it helps anyone decide.

HRH Troupple King is pleased.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yes

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Why would you do this? All you lose if you die is some money, and you can get most (all?) of it back if you get back to the part where you died and pick it up!

You even get a fishing rod early in that you can use to safely collect your dropped cash!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I don't know, acquired a roguelike mindset where I feel like using any sort of retry mechanism to be cheating. Otoh I rather played NES games that way when I was a kid too, but may have simply been better at games in those days.

Will retry in a more standard way at some point, but low-cost retries seem to take away the feeling of accomplishment for me.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
So you have to beat a game on the first try or bust? What counts as a retry mechanism?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

I don't know, acquired a roguelike mindset where I feel like using any sort of retry mechanism to be cheating. Otoh I rather played NES games that way when I was a kid too, but may have simply been better at games in those days.

Will retry in a more standard way at some point, but low-cost retries seem to take away the feeling of accomplishment for me.

Break all the checkpoints, then. Shovel Knight has a lot of self-imposed challenge options and achievements for them.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

It's not a roguelike. Why are you playing it like a roguelike? Even the NES mega man games had passwords.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

RyokoTK posted:

Break all the checkpoints, then. Shovel Knight has a lot of self-imposed challenge options and achievements for them.
You can't break them in the first level, unfortunately.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sade posted:

It's not a roguelike. Why are you playing it like a roguelike? Even the NES mega man games had passwords.

I have never used a password in a NES Megaman though v:shobon:v

I mean, I get what you guys are saying, more than anything it is a matter of what was already noted; Shovel Knight feels pretty easy if you just go all-out using all the tools the game gives you, I might just have picked a slightly excessive way to arbitrarily make it more challenging.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Moltrey posted:

God, is Rosalina slower than Peach?

drat.....

I think they are both the same speed... but Rosalina takes more time to reach max speed so Peach can outrun her.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Rosalina's spin attack is awesome, though.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
So I have a dumb question I hit plat for club Nintendo do I just hold all my things till July for the coins and instantly get gold again or what? I may have gone over board for people on Nintendo stuff for christmas.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

I mean, I get what you guys are saying, more than anything it is a matter of what was already noted; Shovel Knight feels pretty easy if you just go all-out using all the tools the game gives you, I might just have picked a slightly excessive way to arbitrarily make it more challenging.

If you are not playing the game at all, you actually are playing it wrong.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fallorn posted:

So I have a dumb question I hit plat for club Nintendo do I just hold all my things till July for the coins and instantly get gold again or what? I may have gone over board for people on Nintendo stuff for christmas.

Pretty much. Getting Platinum is insanely easy every year. What I do is only register games for which there's a special promotion during the year (like Smash bros this past year, or Shin Megami Tensei+Fire Emblem the year before) and then when it gets close to June I register some more to get the rest of the way to Platinum. I've never run out of games to register so I'm sure I'll keep getting Platinum every year as long as CN sticks around.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Fallorn posted:

Hold off. Literally no benefit unless you want to use Play Coins to buy virtual games and a notebook.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
What, I never noticed the thread title changing. I saw the miiverse post about yore, but don't remember anyone saying: "NEW THREAD TITLE" at it.

Anyway, I finally got around to beating Bayonetta last night. Holy poo poo that game's ending seems like it takes forever. And the game does not like letting you set down the controller during cut scenes. I was surprised though. Cut scene, motorcycle segment, cut scene, super giant boss fight, some credits and a cut scene, beat up segment, cut scene, credits, brief action moment, cut scene, brief action moment, credits, cut scene, big background image, Nintendo port credits, several minute long dance segment for Bayo dancing in every stage of the game. And then it just kind of gives you the main menu with no special flare, fade out, or anything.

Now to get more platinum trophies in between adventures with Mr. Captain Toad.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

So do you seriously just die once and then turn your WiiU off in disgust? Lol.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

So do you seriously just die once and then turn your WiiU off in disgust? Lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njzAyjAFCMI

I grew up with Mega Man. Watching people play Mega Man today who had never seen it before is really something special and telling.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Spectacle Rock posted:

I grew up with Mega Man. Watching people play Mega Man today who had never seen it before is really something special and telling.

Okay? Megaman isn't significantly harder than Shovel Knight and when it is harder it's just because it's being cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Spectacle Rock posted:

I don't think this video is unreasonable but that might be because I'm used to Game Center CX where a 40-something year old man who's been playing games on television for years still occasionally manages to not figure out basic rules of a game for several hours.

Sometimes for explorations' sake people just screw up, too. The first time I saw a glittering pit in Shovel Knight I thought "Oh, there must be something hidden down there!" and jumped in the pit. Later, I learned how I was supposed to interact with that, but if someone had a video of that I'd have looked like an idiot.

• Locked thread