Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Passenger rail, once again, is a loving joke. Just for funsies, I priced out traveling from Jacksonville, FL to Miami, Fl. 350mi, 8hr trip. $140. Flights are $230 and take an hour.

Why would anyone ever take a train, outside of the NEC which I guess is cheaper, over a flight? 7 hours of my life is worth more than $90 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Passenger rail, once again, is a loving joke. Just for funsies, I priced out traveling from Jacksonville, FL to Miami, Fl. 350mi, 8hr trip. $140. Flights are $230 and take an hour.

I've been wanting to take a proper trip by train for years, but this kills it for me every time.

Right now I'm in DC visiting my family and I actually looked up doing this trip on Amtrak. Headed down today, returning on Friday. The round trip was going to be around $400 IIRC and would take around 12 hours each way. The worst part is that there are only two trains that go through Cleveland. Both are options to get to DC, but both depart in the wee hours of the morning. At this time of year I don't think an on-schedule Amtrak train is in the state of Ohio during daylight.

Southwest charged me $125 round trip and got me here in 55 minutes, while letting me get a mostly full night of sleep.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bytebark posted:

They do intentionally put spare empty cars between the bottle cars to space them out. Unsure of the exact reason but I suspect it's either to more widely distribute the weight of the steel, or because putting the cars right next to each other might make loading/unloading more difficult.

Another thing to consider is braking. You get more axles with brakes on them, and not extra weight. Might help with downhills.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Raluek posted:

Another thing to consider is braking. You get more axles with brakes on them, and not extra weight. Might help with downhills.

I'd think that fancy knuckles or not, that's going to try to lift and overrun the rear of the unladen car.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rail travel in the US is like a cruise, you aren't doing it for the speed. And with a horrible Supreme Court verdict likely coming down the pipeline, it's going to stay that way.

vains
May 26, 2004

Cygni posted:

Rail travel in the US is like a cruise, you aren't doing it for the speed. And with a horrible Supreme Court verdict likely coming down the pipeline, it's going to stay that way.

Are you talking about this?
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/09/business/supreme-court-hears-cases-on-internet-shopping-and-railroads.html?_r=0

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2014-12-08/amtrak-rulemaking-questioned-by-us-supreme-court-justices

If so, yeah I'm perefectly fine with the law being struck. gently caress foamers and whatever other weirdos that travel by passenger rail. I want my trains on time.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Pretty sure the railroad does a good job of delaying their own poo poo. Let's stop a slop manifest with 13000 tons and 2 wheezy motors on the side of the largest hill while its freezing rain then wonder why its taking them so long to pull up while there's a pile of trains behind it.

Or delaying a train for 3 hours waiting for a hot pig train that is still 150 miles away.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

It can be real hit and miss. My Amtrak train into California was early by 2 hours, although we got delayed in the last 10 mils due to construction and only ended up being 30 minutes early.

However, on the way back our train was late by 6 hours :(

And then I took the train out of Philadelphia and it was 6 hours late getting to the station because of a broken down locomotive.

It'll get better :unsmith:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Considering the Feds subsidized and bailed out the freight rail in this country multiple times over, I don't think 'let us run a train twice a day' is too much to ask.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I took the Empire Builder from Minneapolis to Portland with a private bedroom for my honeymoon. I think a long distance train journey should be on everyone's bucket list, but it was definitly way slower than flying (we took the train west and flew back). We also took the Cascades between Portland and Seattle and Vancouver, and that's very nice, they just need to fix the bottlenecks and generally up the speed from 79 to 110 mph.

Train travel can be good, we just have to want it.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I took a shower on the Zephyr at 80 mph. The drain just emptying on the tracks so everything under me is just whizzing by. It was awesome.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

If so, yeah I'm perefectly fine with the law being struck. gently caress foamers and whatever other weirdos that travel by passenger rail. I want my trains on time.

The thing most people don't seem to get is that all forms of passenger transportation only work with government support. Highways are paid for with tax dollars, airports are heavily subsidized, etc. That said, long distance passenger rail in the US is basically serving a market that doesn't exist. It's more like a land based version of cruise ships than a true method of transportation.

Edit: In spite of this I would love to take a long distance trip by rail, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 24, 2014

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ijustam posted:

I took a shower on the Zephyr at 80 mph. The drain just emptying on the tracks so everything under me is just whizzing by. It was awesome.

I thought that all US passenger cars had to empty into a holding tank.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I thought that all US passenger cars had to empty into a holding tank.

Grey water (sinks, showers, etc.) dumps directly on the ground, black water (toilets) goes to a tank.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

ijustam posted:

I noticed this too, when I took the Zephyr last year. The water pours right out onto the track. You can see light from the outside through the drain.

This whole arrangement was only realized after I took my first shower (of a two-night trip) on the first morning I woke up on the train. The second morning, I made sure to time my shower with one of the smoke breaks the train makes in eastern Iowa. Just to make people on the platform think someone on board was taking a really long piss.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

wolrah posted:

Grey water (sinks, showers, etc.) dumps directly on the ground, black water (toilets) goes to a tank.

Some cars also have primary and secondary tanks. I was cleaning the weekly passenger train in the Fairbanks shop at midnight once (years ago, when I was in college) when the septic guy came to pump it out. He would go and open the primary tank so that it would drain into the secondary, then hook up to that lower tank and pump everything. Somebody in Anchorage had left the lower valve open and the whole thing drained into the car shop.

bytebark posted:

I can think of one exception to the rule of thumb that friction bearings are gone from railroads - hot bottle tank cars (specialized tanks used to shuttle liquid steel between steelmaking facilities). Supposedly the heat from the molten steel can cause roller bearings to expand (and make the car immovable) in this type of application, hence the use of standard (friction) bearings. Video of this type of car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbzKU3cxWkk

You can see roller bearing trucks under a couple of those hot bottle cars.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We took the train from Portland to Seattle a couple of months ago. $50 or so for two and it took three hours. Very convenient.

vains
May 26, 2004

Cygni posted:

Considering the Feds subsidized and bailed out the freight rail in this country multiple times over, I don't think 'let us run a train twice a day' is too much to ask.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Rail...rican+railroads

From what I remember

Many railroads become insolvent/non competitive because
1-The ICC determined what rates the railroad could set
2-The ICC determined if a line could be abandoned
3-The other 3 modes of transportation were/are heavily subsidized by the government
4-Railroads weren't able to properly amortize their property to the benefit of state/local property taxes
5-Were forced to remain in the passenger business long after it was profitable(and subsidize it with their own increasingly unprofitable(due to ICC stranglehold and heavily subsidized competition) freight revenue)
6-Weren't able to extract many concessions with unions to eliminate/consolidate jobs after they were made unnecessary(crew size remained 5 until the mid 80s and 3 until sometime in the 90s).
7-Successful railroads were forced to absorb unprofitable ones(in order to continue rail service)

The railroads shot themselves in the foot a number of times but its not like Uncle Sugar came to save the day with totally clean hands.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
The latest "train asplodes" [turbocharger, specifically] clip to be making the rounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8RvoppZT0Y&feature=youtu.be. Bonus foamer chatter in the background.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

bytebark posted:

The latest "train asplodes" [turbocharger, specifically] clip to be making the rounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8RvoppZT0Y&feature=youtu.be. Bonus foamer chatter in the background.

CN, of course it is. Unfortunate, but pretty funny.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Rail...rican+railroads

From what I remember

Many railroads become insolvent/non competitive because
1-The ICC determined what rates the railroad could set
2-The ICC determined if a line could be abandoned
3-The other 3 modes of transportation were/are heavily subsidized by the government
4-Railroads weren't able to properly amortize their property to the benefit of state/local property taxes
5-Were forced to remain in the passenger business long after it was profitable(and subsidize it with their own increasingly unprofitable(due to ICC stranglehold and heavily subsidized competition) freight revenue)
6-Weren't able to extract many concessions with unions to eliminate/consolidate jobs after they were made unnecessary(crew size remained 5 until the mid 80s and 3 until sometime in the 90s).
7-Successful railroads were forced to absorb unprofitable ones(in order to continue rail service)

The railroads shot themselves in the foot a number of times but its not like Uncle Sugar came to save the day with totally clean hands.

It's like this is drat near everything that Uncle Sam gets his fingers in.

Complete clusterfuck.

MrJayIsAGoon
Oct 11, 2002

Just some guy... On the internet.

bytebark posted:

"DUDE! His traction motor is on fire."

Riiiight. About that....

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

UbiquitousFiend posted:

"DUDE! His traction motor is on fire."

Riiiight. About that....

and a few days later, read the comments to this video now. Looks like a few people are excited and mad at the guy for calling the fire department for it. I'm sure it was under control, but it is still a good call to make even if the fire self extinguished.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.
Not so much locomotive insanity as track insanity - triple gauge points.
With the rails numbered from the left 1 through 4 we have

1 & 3 - 1435mm
2 & 3 - 1067mm
2 & 4 - 1600mm

These now reside at the Railway Museum here in Adelaide, but I'm working on a yard diagram for the yard that these were removed from.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.
pic didn't attach before.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
I was out at the museum yesterday helping to paint prep for a restoration project we're hurriedly working on (maybe I'll make a thread?) and happened upon this piston from a locomotive prime mover. Shoe provided for size comparison:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

bytebark posted:

This happened to me in 2011 on the last trip before I got married. The generator and turbo blew to smithereens and started a metal fire. We had to plug it and bail off the train while the fire departments from the nearby small towns did the keystone thing.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Runaway diesel from turbo oil leakage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvMl8LUzQnk

Making some pretty expensive sounds. The engines are governed at around 900-990 rpm that goes out of the window.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Stayed at a place in Chicago over new years that has 2 active tracks running right next to it (we're on the 7th floor). Pretty sweet seeing a bunch of trains so close from up top. We saw an Amtrak train run by, 4 SD-40 lookin locomotives idling for aout 40 minutes, a couple new freight locos too. We didn't think we'd see any but boy were we surprised.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
What a pleasant, intelligent way to start off the New Year: an Allentown woman tried to crawl under a slow-moving train. Got knocked over and lost part of her leg. What an idiot.

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-t-allentown-train-accident-leg-injury-20150102-story.html

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 3, 2015

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I got bored at work last night and decided to play with my new phone. This is the end result.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Crosspost from RUSSIA.JPG thread.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Tex Avery posted:

I got bored at work last night and decided to play with my new phone. This is the end result.

Do you work in 1915?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mokotow posted:

Crosspost from RUSSIA.JPG thread.

If the rims were chromed, that car could be donked out big time.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Das Volk posted:

Do you work in 1915?

That or he's on the St. Charles line

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Das Volk posted:

Do you work in 1915?

Nah, it's 2015 here... most of the time. I work for a company in Dallas that runs vintage streetcars in a modern day commuter service.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Tex Avery posted:

Nah, it's 2015 here... most of the time. I work for a company in Dallas that runs vintage streetcars in a modern day commuter service.

What sort of background do you have so as to get such a position? City bus, I'm guessing? :whatup:

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

ctishman posted:

What sort of background do you have so as to get such a position? City bus, I'm guessing? :whatup:

Your dirty secret is safe with me, goon.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Another shot from work: necessity is the mother of invention improvisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
:siren: GOON PROJECT :siren:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-30830799

BBC News posted:

Rudyard Lake Steam Railway in Staffordshire for sale

A miniature steam railway in Staffordshire, including a mile-and-a-half of track, six steam engines, four diesels, 13 carriages, a footbridge, two signal boxes and three stations, has gone up for sale.

The Rudyard Lake Steam Railway, which is owned by Mike and Eileen Hanson, has an asking price of £349,950. Mr Hanson, who is selling because he "wants some time to himself", described the line as "the ultimate train set". The line attracts 40,000 people a year.

Mr Hanson said: "We have had the railway since 2000 and have come to the point where it's time to do something else." He said he had was working in an office as an accountant when the opportunity came along to buy the track. "I've been into trains all my life and we put a silly offer in," he said. "Since then we have probably invested hundreds of thousands of pounds in it. It's the ultimate train set. We have built the station and the café and added all the engines and carriages."

The railway, which also includes a cafe, wagons and engine sheds, is run by a small number of part-time staff and a group of about 25 volunteers.

"It's the full kit," said Mr Hanson. "But it's not the sort of thing you're going to do to make a lot of money. I hope we find a buyer who's a bit like me - an enthusiast who wants to make it work. "

drat it why can't I have my chosen career as a well paid rich guy instead of the crap I do now, I want a toy railway to troll around on.