Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Chat threads are better if they're short and frequent than long and endless.

If it's a thread for people to just casually chat about games then there's no need to worry about missing vital stuff or info getting outdated like there is in the big mega-threads. If anything this thread has less reason to be closed and re-opened than most of the active threads in this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't think we should have an age of consent argument in Games, thanks.

i think we should

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

If it's a thread for people to just casually chat about games then there's no need to worry about missing vital stuff or info getting outdated like there is in the big mega-threads. If anything this thread has less reason to be closed and re-opened than most of the active threads in this forum.
I would like to see as many Stux posts gassed as possible.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

KoldPT posted:

i think we should

does MMO HMO count?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I would like to see as many Stux posts gassed as possible.

goddamn do we all

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
Does it really hurt anything if the chat thread has a high turnover rate? People can just move existing conversations onto the next thread if they're that interested after all.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Smaller chat threads are way more likely to attract new posters rather than a crowd of regulars. This is why the TG chat threads are way less bad than, say, the CD chat thread.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I just want a place to chill and chat about games and maybe also play a video games

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ahundredbux posted:

I just want a place to chill and chat about games and maybe also play a video games

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=267

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Eye of Widesauron posted:

We've hit 15 pages and I am going to convene the council of people who shall decide the fate of this thread. I invoke the ritual to summon the following people:

Zen Death Robot
ArfJason
FactsAreUseless: voted gas and a fun name for the next thread
Ullerrm
Endorph
Kewpuh
Cowcaster
WORST FORUMS GUY

my vote goes to "i'm gonna end your pathetic piece of poo poo life with spring loaded diesel powered dick thrusts. When you finally succumb to excessive cervical punctures, i will enter blade mode and dissassemble your weak retard body, then go slap chop on the tip of my penis until there's nothing but several fleshy strands like the face of cthulhu. I will promptly deploy my palette of vile substances, dip my dickbrush on Fecal Brown and Purulent Green and paint a picture of severe faggotry, where your face is a magic eye picture pattern. gently caress you cum waste retarded rear end in a top hat bitch who wish could be a loving videogame space slut." but honestly that's just my two cents and my opinions aren't very relevant; they shouldn't decide the fate of a thread like this all by their lonesome. Also the game Bleed is real nice, but very short, I wish they would add some extra content.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Smaller chat threads are way more likely to attract new posters rather than a crowd of regulars. This is why the TG chat threads are way less bad than, say, the CD chat thread.

No. This is a dumb idea.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

ArfJason posted:

my vote goes to "i'm gonna end your pathetic piece of poo poo life with spring loaded diesel powered dick thrusts. When you finally succumb to excessive cervical punctures, i will enter blade mode and dissassemble your weak retard body, then go slap chop on the tip of my penis until there's nothing but several fleshy strands like the face of cthulhu. I will promptly deploy my palette of vile substances, dip my dickbrush on Fecal Brown and Purulent Green and paint a picture of severe faggotry, where your face is a magic eye picture pattern. gently caress you cum waste retarded rear end in a top hat bitch who wish could be a loving videogame space slut." but honestly that's just my two cents and my opinions aren't very relevant; they shouldn't decide the fate of a thread like this all by their lonesome. Also the game Bleed is real nice, but very short, I wish they would add some extra content.

I stumbled into a portal to 2001 fyad apparently, does this mean I have to watch 9/11 happen again?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

ArfJason posted:

Bleed is a fun speedgame

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played they bleed pixels sounds similarly

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yaws posted:

No. This is a dumb idea.
Fact: "Yaws" is an anagram of "Stux"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Please stop trying to min-max the thread and :justpost:.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the only thing really bad in most of these threads are people complaining about these threads

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

the only thing really bad in most of these threads are people complaining about these threads
Same, but all threads.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Yesterday I was playing F-Zero X on the N64. It's still fun.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Fzero are good games

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
I wish they'd make another one

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Yeah, the day prior I was playing F-Zero GX on the Gamecube. If they released an HD remaster of it on the Wii U in lieu of a new F-Zero I wouldn't complain. The game is great.

Problem Sleuth posted:

I wish they'd make another one

Same.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Gamecube had a lot of really good games and almost all are still fun to play

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Trivial conversational posts with little to no content are much better here than spread all over all the other threads. Not that threads X Y and Z are fine art that shouldn't be ruined, but I think a chat thread would be a good thing.

It's stuff like us talking here that keeps the AAA-title game threads floating for months with little content... and banishing new, potentially interesting threads to the dungeons of page 2. This wouldn't STOP that but it seems like it could help.

Also, phalluses.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Gamecube had a lot of really good games and almost all are still fun to play

I still wish I had my copy of Eternal Darkness, I want to replay it and I'm too lazy/stupid to emulate a copy. loving sell me your games Nintendo, you idiots.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Eye of Widesauron posted:

We've hit 15 pages and I am going to convene the council of people who shall decide the fate of this thread. I invoke the ritual to summon the following people:

Zen Death Robot
ArfJason
FactsAreUseless
Ullerrm
Endorph
Kewpuh
Cowcaster
WORST FORUMS GUY

Leave it open. (Or, maybe: gas this thread, open a new one, and leave that one open forever.) Gotta let the memes simmer a bit, and having a chat thread prevents the sperg from flying all over the other threads.

Basically the only gas-worthy part of this thread is the constant suggestions that it be gassed. (Well, that, and Stux's posts.) Letting the thread go big isn't a problem because we don't expect/require anyone to read the entire thread -- and, in fact, you probably have a mental issue if you ever read more than a page or two of this thread at a time.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

BTW, if you don't follow the Speedrunning thread, ADGQ 2015 is now live. http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

Games Done Quick in a nutshell: someone picks a charity and location, hotel blocks and a conference room are rented out, couches and cameras are set up, and you end up with a hundred-ish people running a 24/7 stream of gaming for a week, almost all speedruns. This year's AGDQ is benefitting the Prevent Cancer Foundation. It's a decent choice for background noise, if nothing else, and there's usually some pretty fun stuff they do. (In particular, last year they had someone playing Mike Tyson's Punch-Out blindfolded, and he got all the way to Tyson on it.)

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Right now it looks like Banjo Kazooie, then Diddy Kong Racing, then Mario Kart Wii. Besides being for a good cause, charity speedrun events are surprisingly *effective* charity drives. I love it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ullerrm posted:

Leave it open. (Or, maybe: gas this thread, open a new one, and leave that one open forever.) Gotta let the memes simmer a bit, and having a chat thread prevents the sperg from flying all over the other threads.

Basically the only gas-worthy part of this thread is the constant suggestions that it be gassed. (Well, that, and Stux's posts.) Letting the thread go big isn't a problem because we don't expect/require anyone to read the entire thread -- and, in fact, you probably have a mental issue if you ever read more than a page or two of this thread at a time.
This is the better suggestion, really.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I watched the DKC Tropical Freeze run earlier and was blown away by what's doable in that game. He beat the any% in 1 hour, 35 minutes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tane

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I should be asked about the thread being games top poster right now

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Stux posted:

I should be asked about the thread being games top poster right now

You are the hero we need and deserve.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Kaidan just poured out his "I have feelings for you" speech on the Citadel in ME3, which was almost as awkward for me as Randy Stein's "I have feelings for you" speech at the Mesa Cineplex in 2002.

I completely forgot you could gay romance Kaiden, which pretty much shows how memorable a character he was.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Alain Post posted:

I completely forgot you could gay romance Kaiden, which pretty much shows how memorable a character he was.

I didn't even know you could. Honestly, that was the weirdest part of ME3 for me -- the fact that you had a bunch of characters that showed up in ME1, were largely absent in ME2, and then showed up again in ME3 with significant personality changes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, though it made practical sense. since squadmates could perma-die in ME2, they had to have a core group of squadmates that would survive for ME3 no matter what.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think it is theoretically possible to get every single one of Shepard's recruitable squadmates killed by the end of ME3, although you would probably need to edit your EMS score to some impossibly low number to do it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

I think it is theoretically possible to get every single one of Shepard's recruitable squadmates killed by the end of ME3, although you would probably need to edit your EMS score to some impossibly low number to do it.

It was easier before they adjusted the EMS thresholds- if you skipped most of the side missions, you'd probably get them killed.

God drat I like to post about Mass Effect 3, the greatest game of all time.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ullerrm posted:

BTW, if you don't follow the Speedrunning thread, ADGQ 2015 is now live. http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

Games Done Quick in a nutshell: someone picks a charity and location, hotel blocks and a conference room are rented out, couches and cameras are set up, and you end up with a hundred-ish people running a 24/7 stream of gaming for a week, almost all speedruns. This year's AGDQ is benefitting the Prevent Cancer Foundation. It's a decent choice for background noise, if nothing else, and there's usually some pretty fun stuff they do. (In particular, last year they had someone playing Mike Tyson's Punch-Out blindfolded, and he got all the way to Tyson on it.)

According to five minutes on Google The Prevent Cancer Foundation is a non-profit with revenues of just $5.5 million per year but the top two executives make over half a million a year combined and non-program expenses are nearly a quarter of their budget. :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Gane cube controller was almost literally perfect

• Locked thread