Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

al-azad posted:

I can't think of anything quite like Quest 64, probably because it's not a game worth copying, but have you played Legend of Mana? It's whimsical, open ended, and with a bunch of simple subsystems that let you build spells/weapons/items/death dealing robot buddies.

If you just want to nostalgia on a bad game try Ephemeral Fantasia!

Started this last night and played about an hour. Good lord the backgrounds are gorgeous! I like the mechanics and writing so far. Great suggestion!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter sort of plays like Quest 64 except it's actually a good game.

Argh, why is BOFIV the only BOF on PSN! Someday I will play DQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

NWN2 actually lets you play blaster better, especially if you use the mods that give spell progression to Dragon Disciples (12HP / level). iirc it was hard to impossible to hack spell progression into the original for any classes at all. Plus it gives you access to Missile Storm, which is basically Magic Missile except it shoots 20-40 at once,1d6 per, no save, 6th+ level so it's hard to resist.

If you do wanna make it a little more player-friendly, pick up Haste. NWN1 runs on 3.0e rules, so Haste gives you two spells per turn. Also you can stack crit feats with Keen (spell) and with Keen (enchantment), meaning that if you use the custom enchantments mod, your glass cannon mage can have a staff with a crit range of like 12-20 :v:

I'll probably give NWN2 another try eventually. I thought the main campaign was godawful, mostly because I found nearly every one of the companions to be completely insufferable. Seriously, I didn't like a single one of them. Mask of the Betrayer had better characters and much better writing, but it left me cold because of how bleak the whole thing was. I've heard good things about Mysteries of Westgate, though, so I could try that, plus fanmade stuff. I've only played Sorcerers, because I like their mechanics and fluff better than Wizards, and the fact that they're Charisma-based is great because I like playing persuasive characters too. Maybe I'll try playing a Warlock. They get infinite magic blasts, and they're also Charisma-based. Shame about the alignment restrictions, but Chaotic Good should be fine.

The thing about the Missile Storm spells, though, is that they don't give you much control over what they hit. They're great against a single powerful enemy or a very small group, but any more than that and the damage gets too spread out. Unless you're talking about different spells added by mods or something. I'm curious to know what exactly you mean by "spell progression". Does that just mean they do more damage? And is it only Dragon Disciples that get it?

I have learned the value of Haste, though. If nothing else, it shortens the time it takes to cast spells, which is helpful all on its own. I found some boots with a permanent Haste effect in Darkness Over Daggerford, and it was a major game changer. If I remember right, NWN2 doesn't have such long casting times, which probably helps make blasters more viable.

Endorph posted:

dragon age. all of them. (2 isn't good but mage is viable)

I've actually heard that about Dragon Age before, but I never played it for some reason. I'll have to fix that. Thanks.

al-azad posted:

Dragon Age is one of the few games where running an all caster party is not only enjoyable but completely wrecks the game.

But if you really want to get all your frustrations out play some co-op Magicka. It's not an RPG per-se but if you ever want to feel like a bomb dropping wizard you literally turn monsters into red paste with negative energy rays.

Antares posted:

Magicka is really mediocre if you're playing by yourself but loving amazing if you're playing with other people and focusing on discovering new ways to blast them into orbit and steal their poo poo. Be sure to get all $200 worth of DLC.

Co-op isn't really my thing. I only play single player.

I also picked up the first two Witcher games in a sale on GOG recently. How's magic in those games? I'm almost positive that pure mage isn't an option. That's fine, because the games look interesting enough on their own, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 4, 2015

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Ciaphas posted:

Now I can play TiTS and enjoy the story without being hampered by the slow combat :woop:

The combat in TiTS is slow? Wow, and here I thought one of the biggest problems with combat in TiTS was that you can surprise every enemy in the game with no problem and thus everybody dies before they can do more than squat to you, and it would be faster than encountering them normally instead of waiting until their back is turned.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Praetorian Mage posted:

I also picked up the first two Witcher games in a sale on GOG recently. How's magic in those games? I'm almost positive that pure mage isn't an option. That's fine, because the games look interesting enough on their own, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Magic isn't really a thing, you're a swordsman not a wizard. Although Geralt's signs are OP as gently caress and the fun of your spells is being a dick with them.

And on that note of European RPGs the Divinity series all have powerful casters as well. Divine Divinity gives wizards the single most game breaking spell (basically shoving spikes under the people's feet) and Original Sin was built around combining elements so you can grease a floor then set it on fire and so on. The same thing is done in the Dragon Age games but Original Sin takes it a step further by making practically every object have some kind of special property.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Praetorian Mage posted:

The thing about the Missile Storm spells, though, is that they don't give you much control over what they hit. They're great against a single powerful enemy or a very small group, but any more than that and the damage gets too spread out. Unless you're talking about different spells added by mods or something. I'm curious to know what exactly you mean by "spell progression". Does that just mean they do more damage? And is it only Dragon Disciples that get it?
Spell progression is basically "unlocking" higher tiers of magic. Wizards get second circle spells (Acid Arrow) at 3rd level, third circle spells (Fireball) at 5th, etc. Taking prestige classes tends to pause your progression, though: if you prestige into Eldritch Knight, for example, the first level of the class doesn't have spell progression, but the next level does, meaning that you wouldn't get third circle spells until 6th level.

Even though Dragon Disciple is a spellcaster prestige class, it doesn't get access to any new spells ever, meaning that you're stuck with fireball at best in exchange for stupidly high stats. It was rebalanced later on so it got some spell progression in addition to its other nice perks, but those changes didn't make it into either NWN game except in mods, so there isn't really any way to get a caster with any sort of HP on them short of min-maxing your spellcasting stat plus constitution.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Should I just play Shadowrun Dragonfall DX and not touch Returns? I know there's no plot connection I just wanna know if Returns is worth playing at all.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Should I just play Shadowrun Dragonfall DX and not touch Returns? I know there's no plot connection I just wanna know if Returns is worth playing at all.

Dead Man's Switch isn't as good as Dragonfall IMO but it's not terrible. I think it's worth playing. At the very least playing through both stories gives you a chance to build a separate character for each and play with the different archetypes since specialization is so critical.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Returns is a fun detective story up until the very end when they whip out an annoying enemy the RPG property has been using to piss off players since the early 90s.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

Agarest is a very mediocre game with lots of grind. I would not recommend playing any of them, and I don't even necessarily hate them.

this is how i feel about lightning returns, and i might even new game plus it now that i've beaten it, but replace grind with 'terrible writing'

Heavy neutrino posted:

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter sort of plays like Quest 64 except it's actually a good game.

pffttt hahahaha

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Machine posted:

When you have the best, you don't need the rest :colbert:.

I'd actually like to play DQ too, if only out of curiosity.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Machine posted:

The PSP port of BoF3 is also on there but only in the EU for some reason.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hubris.height posted:

pffttt hahahaha
Dragon Quarter is Good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

The PSP port of BoF3 is also on there but only in the EU for some reason.

Out of curiosity, is there any real difference between the PSX and PSP versions?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, is there any real difference between the PSX and PSP versions?

Yes, quite a few. Translations changes, some mechanics changes, they altered the combined Bailo and Sunder to no longer resemble Ultraman due to some sort of copyright concern, ect. They also made the desert less lovely. (Random encounters no longer turn Ryu.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

al-azad posted:

Magic isn't really a thing, you're a swordsman not a wizard. Although Geralt's signs are OP as gently caress and the fun of your spells is being a dick with them.
Magic is totally a thing, but other people do it. Yeah Geralt is not a wizard, he's just an alchemically-enhanced monster killin' dude who knows like five magic tricks.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
One of my favorite mage PC experiences in a RPG was in Arcanum. Sure, the game is wonky, buggy and feels unfinished near the end (it's a Troika game after all), but a mage in Arcanum is what you'd expect a mage to be: an unstoppable killing machine who also packs every trick in the book, from teleportation to simply unlocking things. Another one was Nehrim, a professional mod for Oblivion. It has a compelling story where the main character is canonically a mage (although you can choose whatever) and is just generally excellent all the way through.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hubris.height posted:

this is how i feel about lightning returns, and i might even new game plus it now that i've beaten it, but replace grind with 'terrible writing'

pffttt hahahaha

If you're saying DQ is a bad game then I'm gonna frown at you over the internet :mad:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Humans are the latest to appear in the galaxy?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Cake Attack posted:

The comedy is that he's recommending them, not the games themselves. Endorph is right in this case

Hence the comedy option. I should have been more clear, don't buy these games. I bought one on Steam and that was a mistake let's just say.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Zereth posted:

Magic is totally a thing, but other people do it. Yeah Geralt is not a wizard, he's just an alchemically-enhanced monster killin' dude who knows like five magic tricks.

To be fair, they are really good magic tricks and using them make fights go a lot easier. There is also a decent alchemy brewing component in Witcher.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Holy crap, Shadowkeep. I wasn't convinced the game actually existed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I kind of love that page. Humans are awesome because they are too dumb to know how much they suck!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
dq could have been a good non bof game but it should not have been a bof game and every time I am reminded that it was the death rattle of the franchise I laugh and die a little

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really should have checked the DP bank sooner in Mother 3, because it had a ton of money in it that I never deposited. I'm guessing Flint is wiring Lucas money every now and then? How often does it get more? Since it seems you can't get DP from enemies (other than selling items) that's been my only source of income and it's made equipping the party fairly difficult.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hubris.height posted:

dq could have been a good non bof game but it should not have been a bof game and every time I am reminded that it was the death rattle of the franchise I laugh and die a little

If DQ was the death rattle then what's BOF6? Someone digging up the grave and using the skeletal remains as a puppet?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

kirbysuperstar posted:

If DQ was the death rattle then what's BOF6? Someone digging up the grave and using the skeletal remains as a puppet?

what else could it be if it is released exclusively on mobile devices

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's an online, touchscreen -centric, multiplayer game for mobile, tablets, and browsers that's referred to as a "service" in the wiki article, and it's being released 13 years after the last game. And probably will never see nor deserve a console release.

So really, it's more like Capcom cut the face off of DQ's corpse and is now wearing it like a disgusting and unconvincing mask.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I really should have checked the DP bank sooner in Mother 3, because it had a ton of money in it that I never deposited. I'm guessing Flint is wiring Lucas money every now and then? How often does it get more? Since it seems you can't get DP from enemies (other than selling items) that's been my only source of income and it's made equipping the party fairly difficult.

Money from enemies just goea straight to the bank, I believe

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is mind blowing. You have blown my mind, Cake Attack.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

That is mind blowing. You have blown my mind, Cake Attack.

If you feel this way about a forum post, I can't wait to see how you feel after you finish Mother 3.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Heavy neutrino posted:

One of my favorite mage PC experiences in a RPG was in Arcanum. Sure, the game is wonky, buggy and feels unfinished near the end (it's a Troika game after all), but a mage in Arcanum is what you'd expect a mage to be: an unstoppable killing machine who also packs every trick in the book, from teleportation to simply unlocking things. Another one was Nehrim, a professional mod for Oblivion. It has a compelling story where the main character is canonically a mage (although you can choose whatever) and is just generally excellent all the way through.

The Mage class in Arcanum makes the game hilariously broken. The game goes from difficult (if you are paying as say Swordsman) to Skies if Arcadia level of easiness.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cake Attack posted:

Money from enemies just goea straight to the bank, I believe

Is that not how it worked in Earthbound or did you have to call your dad first? I forget.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Sakurazuka posted:

Is that not how it worked in Earthbound or did you have to call your dad first? I forget.

Dad would just tell you how much you've earned from enemies since you last called, and then your current balance. The money shows up as soon as the fight ends.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah yeah, I remember now, used to confuse me when I'd just ransacked my bank account and he'd be like 'You've earned $1000 since the last time you called, your balance is $0'. :v:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Has anyone played PierSolar? How is it?

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

Go to page 361, a few posts above mine. Short answer: no. Long answer: there was a discussion about it, verdict says no.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

Mediocre at best. The worst aspects being terrible level design that puts map warps inside walls or connects towns with dungeons literally forcing you to backtrack through multiple monster ridden screens to get an item on the other side of the world. It's also one of those RPGs like the Tales series that locks stuff behind you with no provocation and the pacing is structured so that you just have to talk to the right people on the right screen to ever move forward.

If the game is meant to trigger nostalgia in the player then I have to agree it did its job. It reminded me of the days playing "off brand" RPGs like Brain Lord or Secret of the Stars. Just kicking myself because I'm forced to spend the weekend on this when I could have rented Final Fantasy instead.

I could praise the game as a work of art and love but the dev team and community built around it is pretty spiteful.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax
Also there's only like two or three enemy formations per dungeon, and the encounter rate is obnoxious.
The ending is a tragedy for no real reason other than to 'make ya think', and the midgame? throws a retarded version of loving Bomberman as a minigame as well as what is basically DDR except boring.

Don't touch any of its incarnations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

All I played of that game was the demo. The first thing they tell you to do is look up people in a town with no design or unique features, and then when you do that it tells you to go to a forest which has two entrances, one of which is worthless to you (it doesn't tell you which) and the other of which requires you to go through what looks like an area but is just some lame maze to get into a cave, and by then I had already fought enough boring mooks to not care.

Also gently caress emoji menus. They were a bad idea on the Genesis, and they're a bad idea now.