Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Lysidas posted:

i happen to have a old dell: pentium 4? but can run a 64-bit OS, that is perfectly fine hardware-wise but cannot run any supported version of windows since win7+ drivers do not exist for its hardware, runs kubuntu 14.04 x64 very well though

put Haiku on it and watch it fly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

eschaton posted:

if i wanted to give something away completely useless in its current state i'd just zero the disk first

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Lysidas posted:

if i wanted to give something away completely useless in its current state i'd just zero the disk first

A computer where someone might log in and try to use haiku is worse than useless.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

keyvin posted:

A computer where someone might log in and try to use haiku is worse than useless.

silly keyvin, you don't need to log in to use Haiku, it's a single-user OS

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Progressive JPEG posted:

Wait so does that mean u can set the system volume from within html5

yes, loading a page with a html5/flash embedded video will gently caress over system volume by default.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

eschaton posted:

out of the window

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

The_Franz posted:

doesn't netflix work in chrome now?

yes.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Maximum Leader posted:

yes, loading a page with a html5/flash embedded video will gently caress over system volume by default.

using which web browser/distribution?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

eschaton posted:

silly keyvin, you don't need to log in to use Haiku, it's a single-user OS

They are working on concept art..

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im the. giant lock floating in the text box

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

it's the bleeding edge of mid 90s design

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

OldAlias posted:

it's the bleeding edge of mid 90s design

bsd should love it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
BeOS itself is the peak of mid 90s design and has a timeless beauty to it that I would love to see on my desktop even today

that login screen is a "minimalist" design by somebody who is evidently not a graphic designer

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

As long as we're recommending bad operating systems, why not InfernOS?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
thats plan 9 right lol

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

pram posted:

thats plan 9 right lol

it's a plan 9 fork which is even better

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

im the. giant lock floating in the text box

im each of the butans separately

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Lysidas posted:

looks like i'll be giving away/setting up another linux desktop for family

futurewife's little brother can really use a computer

i happen to have a old dell: pentium 4? but can run a 64-bit OS, that is perfectly fine hardware-wise but cannot run any supported version of windows since win7+ drivers do not exist for its hardware, runs kubuntu 14.04 x64 very well though

i can either do nothing and not help at all, or i can give away a linux desktop computer that works very well for everything but netflix (afaik) and windows-only games

2015 YOLOTD looking good so far

put XP on it jfc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lysidas posted:

looks like i'll be giving away/setting up another linux desktop for family

futurewife's little brother can really use a computer

i can either do nothing and not help at all, or i can give away a linux desktop computer that works very well for everything but netflix (afaik) and windows-only games

2015 YOLOTD looking good so far

it still won't have enough memory to run a modern browser

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

just use this then
it's an HTTP proxy service that renders the requested URL in to a GIF image associated with an imagemap of clickable links, works pretty well to actually get use of old browsers on modern web

http://www.tenox.net/out/wrp11-qt.py or,
http://www.tenox.net/out/wrp11-cocoa.py

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 5, 2015

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they ain't made enough memory to run a moden browser

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
16 gb of ram is barely enough to do anything on the internet these days. you can use 16 gb of ram to make arts or edit posterboard size images but anything with javascript is strictly off limits unless you have 32 gb of ram or greater

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

pseudorandom name posted:

using which web browser/distribution?

shameful arch/chrome

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Phoenixan posted:

16 gb of ram is barely enough to do anything on the internet these days. you can use 16 gb of ram to make arts or edit posterboard size images but anything with javascript is strictly off limits unless you have 32 gb of ram or greater

we used to make this joke about 64 mb of ram

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

pram posted:

hp already makes arm blades

???

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we used to make this joke about 64 mb of ram

eight megabytes and constantly swapping

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
brb, writing an editor in javascript called egacs etacs

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

eight megabytes and constantly swapping

eventually mallocs all core storage

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cocoa Crispies posted:

eventually mallocs all core storage

escape meta alt control shift

(it's not memory-related, but i still chuckle at it :shobon:)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i have a linux sitting on my desktop until i can get it into the rack today

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Mr Dog posted:

also the lack of perceptual linearity, at least when using headphones.

0% is off
10% is ok
20% is loud
30% is loving loud
80% is pretty much just as ear shattering

they do know we use dB to measure sound volume for a reason, right? did they gently caress something up and use dBdB or some poo poo?

pushing everything to use a global system volume instead of having two levels of mixing is a decent idea i suppose, at least if apps bothered to do their own normalization (lol) but it doesn't really play well with loving YouTube's HTML5 player setting the volume to 80% (ear shattering) every single time it starts playing a video.

i think PulseAudio is one of those unfortunate programs that's actually written pretty well but assumes all the other programs that interact with it aren't written by complete fuckwits

last time i used an linux i had no sound to whisper levels from 0-70% and then the full range from 70-100%, but it might be my lovely motherboard sound chip (optical output though) that's non linear and the linux driver assumes it's not lovely

works fine in windows

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

erm

ok

its a windors printer

from the terminal system-config-printer doesnt see it

the gnome shell printer adder sees it, but then errors out

this is a old hp laserjet 4m that worked on my old rig.... its connected 2 a windwos 7 computer

ubuntu gnome 14.10...................

PISSSS

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Ubuntu completely breaks the printers capplet through a few patches they have. They also use a really old system-config-printer. Sorry about your lovely OS.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

longview posted:

last time i used an linux i had no sound to whisper levels from 0-70% and then the full range from 70-100%, but it might be my lovely motherboard sound chip (optical output though) that's non linear and the linux driver assumes it's not lovely

works fine in windows

for the usual reason that it is cheaper to ship an INF file that modifies the behavior of the stock windows HD Audio driver than it is to bother making your hardware work right

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
would fedora gnome wrk better ??

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ok teamnow im at localhost:631 CUPS thing and there are a LOT of words here

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i fixed it

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
every day I go to work and wake up my pc to experience a new fresh hell that is linux

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I needed to make sure I spent less time on the computer. Lent my windows PC to my brother and kept a c720 running Linux. hardly touched it, so I guess Linux finally found its niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Smythe posted:

would fedora gnome wrk better ??

yes 10x