Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Scalise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm torn on the posting of Muir's comments in here. On one hand, they're dumb and not cartoons and of course Muir's audience is full of psychopaths, but at the same time it's fascinating seeing people get so aggressively angry at a fictional straw character.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

pkfan2004 posted:

I dunno what "syphilus" is but it sounds EXCITING! Like a helpful medication or a Roman gladiator archetype or what your uncle in Arkansas mumbles to his cousin when it's his turn to pump the gas.

Must be another Greek woman.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

Yes, Guys and Dolls, truly that is the most obscure and unknown of musicals.

The title song is basically "Women, amirite?", you think its completely oputside a boomers pop culture?

I never said it was obscure? :confused: I just think its a cute non-sequitur for a bunch of guys jumping over each other to out-macho each other.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

:effort:
I can't do the "letters fell down" thing, so you get a bad pun instead.

Stunning. Jaw-dropping. Five stars. Ten. One-hundred.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

:effort:
I can't do the "letters fell down" thing, so you get a bad pun instead.

:captainpop: Christ behold me and lay down his beautiful song, what the devil is this magic?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Sorry for the white noisy post, but yea, I want to say as a lurker of these horrible threads to stop posting the stupid rear end comments from DBD. Please.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I like seeing the DBD comments, they crush my soul quite effectively. They remind me that there are people like Pigman in the world, without actually posting Pigman.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

quote:

First cartoon of 2015! #Bahrain opposition leader Sheik Ali Salman arrested!

quote:

Please, RT! @RT_Erdogan, the Thief of Bagd...oops, Turkey!

quote:

Pls RT! Nobody will touch our war criminals, according to @netanyahu

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Oh my god I beat out Roruz Raz and Gilganixon? How is that even possible?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

quote:

Sometimes, after watching a great movie, we just incarnate the character...

Latuff gonna gently caress his phone

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Academic Loss of Freedom

"Academic freedom" (in America at least) used to mean that unpopular opinions and speakers were essential to education. The goal was to encourage students to learn to think for themselves. These days academic freedom has largely been replaced by doctrinaire-spouting educators. What we now have is a regrettable academic loss of freedom. In today's cartoon, our new character, "the Professor", demonstrates.
To fight these poisoners of our students, click on http://igg.me/at/drybones
We Need Your support.
Labels: Academia, Academic Freedom, Appeasement, Education, Progressive Professor

All I can think is that a relative or something is going to college and reported on a class not being super pro Israel.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Academic Loss of Freedom

"Academic freedom" (in America at least) used to mean that unpopular opinions and speakers were essential to education. The goal was to encourage students to learn to think for themselves. These days academic freedom has largely been replaced by doctrinaire-spouting educators. What we now have is a regrettable academic loss of freedom. In today's cartoon, our new character, "the Professor", demonstrates.
We Need Your support.
Labels: Academia, Academic Freedom, Appeasement, Education, Progressive Professor

All I can think is that a relative or something is going to college and reported on a class not being super pro Israel.

Notice that Their New Character, "The Professor™", doesn't actually say anything and is just looking around.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'll ask again but why do all the British cartoonists use Bell's caricatures? It's kind of weird.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Academic Loss of Freedom

\
Says the man drawing collectors cards of "traitor" academics that don't meet Kirschens exact definition of Israeli hyper-patriotism and historical revisionism.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Academic Loss of Freedom

We Need Your support.

Pretty sure his whole mentality is "well I really don't like Palestine and want to see it gone, if people don't like Israel then they must feel the same way!". Like, it's either or. If someone is critical of Israel in any way, then they must hate all Jews and Israel (even if they are both Jewish and Israeli, as seen in the card comics he did).

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Exclamation Marx posted:

Latuff gonna gently caress his phone
Oh Carlos, gotta be more careful.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I'll ask again but why do all the British cartoonists use Bell's caricatures? It's kind of weird.

They don't all use them. This one, for example, is just a normal cartoon drawing of the party leaders:

Martin Rowson and Steve Bell both work for the Guardian and both use similar caricature styles, and they're very good and pretty influential so others probably either consciously or subconsciously draw important figures in similar ways.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

They don't? I mean, the only similarities are that they're based on the same people.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

R. Mute posted:

They don't? I mean, the only similarities are that they're based on the same people.

There's just a lot more variation given the US artists, like the vast differences we see in caricatures of Obama.

vyelkin posted:

They don't all use them. This one, for example, is just a normal cartoon drawing of the party leaders:

Martin Rowson and Steve Bell both work for the Guardian and both use similar caricature styles, and they're very good and pretty influential so others probably either consciously or subconsciously draw important figures in similar ways.

I figured it was just because they were so influential, but that plus how small Britain's political cartoon scene would explain how similar they tend to be.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

The Indy guy, Brown, who only ever parodies paintings more or less does condom-Cameron as well, but Rowson's is based on Little Lord Fauntleroy

as for Milliband, that's just the way he looks :smith:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sardine Wit posted:

I never said it was obscure? :confused: I just think its a cute non-sequitur for a bunch of guys jumping over each other to out-macho each other.

"Jerry... It's 'Guys and Dolls', not 'Guys and Guys'!"

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Academic Loss of Freedom

"Where the hell did I put my car keys?"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

You may find this interesting.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

A great caricature reduces someone to their basics, and when you have great caricaturists like Bell and Rowson, once you've seen how they see Cameron, Clegg and Miliband, you can't help but see those same basic features. I don't think it's really the condom look that's so outstanding for Cameron so much as the giant rosy cheeks and the look of a private-school-rich-kid that seems to be so universal

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

"With great power, there must also come great responsibility."

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Rorus Raz posted:

Sometimes it's the little things.

What happens when they fill that little red bar, they meet their goals for abortions and then what? Planned Parenthood's sinister Phase Two?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Saint Sputnik posted:

What happens when they fill that little red bar, they meet their goals for abortions and then what? Planned Parenthood's sinister Phase Two?

It levels up and Obama will be able to use his Hanger +1 of Wounding.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
Kelly is back from vacation!

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

7oden getting an early start on racism for 2015

4 :3:

e: one more! Tony Branco is not to be outdone.

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 5, 2015

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Why is the beach ordering a margarita?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

colonel_korn posted:

7oden getting an early start on racism for 2015

"Shlameel"? Is that supposed to be "Schlemiel"? Why does that racist Arab caricature have a misspelling of the Yiddish word for "fuckup" as a name? :confused:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Why is the beach ordering a margarita?

Maybe its a sand witch.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

So, what- go back to the embargo?

(Yeah, I know I'm oversimplifying it, but hey, it's Rall. Game respect game, Ted.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

So...if he hits the missile on the tip, will it explode? :ohdear:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Wanted to post a local cartoon by Lisa Benson out of which I got a perverse chuckle.

Here's her latest dig on the liberal direction of California for the New Year:

Contrast this with past works this time of year:

Only no mass exodus of California ever actually occurred and the budget is on more secure footing than it's ever been in my memory, so now she's reduced to intimating dire consequences from cage laws. Fight the good fight Lisa. :allears:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Lisa Benson is aggressively stupid.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

America's glaring Skeleton Problem. What are you going to do about it, Obama? We demand action on the roving gangs of skeletons infesting this great land!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Lisa Benson is aggressively stupid.
Decent art, though. She's kinda the female Allie that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Decent art, though. She's kinda the female Allie that way.

Allie can actually make good metaphors. All of Benson's are AGC on delivery. She is incapable of making a cartoon that can't be easily undermined.

• Locked thread