Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Got unwanted counterfeit money? Safely dispose of it by putting it in the church collection plate! #georgecarlinhacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Meowjesty posted:

Please just pay the $10 or whatever a month for phone insurance.

Or invest in a water proof case.

Do any of these simple things.

:shrug: I was sold a protection plan that COVERS EVERYTHING, LIKE SERIOUSLY MAN EVERYTHING when I got my first mp3 player. Being dumb and naive I took it, when I later accidentally put the player through the wash, I was advised by my dad to actually read the plan I got before bringing it in. Sure enough it didn't cover water damage, which kind of seems like it'd be rather common or fall under "everything." Granted this was long ago so I just told them I don't know why it stopped working and got a replacement anyway.

In general protection/damage plans seem pretty lovely in general, and are always heavily pushed, so I don't really blame anyone for abusing them. It's probably personal bias, but I think it's the least stupid/destructive/dickish of that bunch of "hacks."

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
If you try to pull that on an insurance company they'll charge you the full price of the phone (usually around $600 for smart phones) instead of your $100 - $200 deductible.

Don't

Do the thing

:mad:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i had my phone in a pool and somehow the water sensor wasn't tripped. so that was cool

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Popoi posted:

Nobody checks small bills for counterfeit, so if you use the materials you already have, and your own time which is free, it's all profit baby!

Use your counterfeit money to buy hairspray :rolleyes:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Just buy a goddamn Sony phone. Never worry about water damage again. Lifehack!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shai-Hulud posted:

Keep track of your poo poo and don't loving get your phone wet! WALLA

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Shai-Hulud posted:

Most decent android phones are "water resistant" nowadays. My moto g has dealt with being dropped in a pool way too many times to count at this point.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

She puts a ziplock bag over her phone, and I'm never getting a replacement plan again!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

The Peccadillo has a new favorite as of 05:05 on Jan 6, 2015

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Can't keep your phone from falling in the water? Join us in the dark below and become one with us! You'll never need a phone again as your thoughts will become one with ours, and you shall know the peace and serenity that comes from serving Th'chraak the Leviathan! When the world drowns on its own congealed blood you will be safe and secure in the belly of the beast, and cell phone bills will never trouble you again! #cosmichorrorhacks

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

Cakefool posted:

Haha gently caress, I thought it was the same person :doh:

Unethical lifehacks means steal and commit criminal damage, apparently.

That site is great:

Paint over the red lines while you're at it and you're got a foolproof hack!

Has this person ever worked retail, or do places actually exist where they'll employee discount gift cards?

Mensrights.jpg

:confused:

Can't wait to make big $$$ from HIGHTLY ANTICIPATED poo poo.

So simple it shows you how in the above image!!

No fresh flowers when you arrive? Kill somebody, track down their funeral, and loot all the flowers! Extra unethical!

Got finals and you haven't studied? Your grandmother passed away. Running late and have a meeting? Grandmother passed away!

There's lots more, Link for the lazy.

Bonus: the people who like this page seem really cool

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
Dropped your iPhone in water? Buy 100 water sensor stickers from ebay for £3. Sell the surplus to other clumsy, less resourceful people.
#life/proft/ihack

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
I love that website's description: "Unethical hacks are life hacks that will help you advance through life by taking advantage of loopholes in society."
Loopholes in society.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Karma Monkey posted:

I love that website's description: "Unethical hacks are life hacks that will help you advance through life by taking advantage of loopholes in society."
Loopholes in society.

"Well if they didn't want me to steal flowers from their kid's grave, they shouldn't just leave flowers on their kid's grave!"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Karma Monkey posted:

Loopholes in society.

Exactly the kind of thing you'd expect to hear from someone twattish enough to have a guy fawkes mask in their facebook picture.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Screaming Idiot posted:

Can't keep your phone from falling in the water? Join us in the dark below and become one with us! You'll never need a phone again as your thoughts will become one with ours, and you shall know the peace and serenity that comes from serving Th'chraak the Leviathan! When the world drowns on its own congealed blood you will be safe and secure in the belly of the beast, and cell phone bills will never trouble you again! #cosmichorrorhacks

Hmm... I don't know. The screaming children of G'ork the Eyeless give out a free tablet when you join, plus 10% off on floggings over the first six months.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Does no one remember 2008?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

SaltLick posted:

Apply for a loan BEFORE car shopping. Most dealerships use predatory lenders to finance clients

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The Door Frame posted:

Apply for a loan BEFORE car shopping. Most dealerships use predatory lenders to finance clients

Realtalk: Do this. And use a bank you trust. Be ready for a fight, though. They hate when people come in pre-approved for car loans and will try to run your credit "just in case they can beat the interest rate your bank gave you." Nine times out of ten, they'll happily tell you they can beat it by five or ten points, but won't tell you about all the hidden fees and poo poo these lenders somehow get away with charging people.

Don't give a dealership your credit information. Ever.

Give a dealership your information and they'll mass-apply you for loans at all of their partnered "banks." That poo poo shows up on your credit report, and it also guarantees you'll be inundated with junk mail from them and whoever they sold your information to without your knowledge or permission.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I've always been told to negotiate as much as you can first, then claim you will use their financials to try and get it lower, then when it comes to signing just use your own

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Thinky Whale posted:

Lifehack: Don't do things that characters in Chuck Palahniuk novels do.

Funnily enough, a lot of the weird Creedish etiquette/housecleaning tips from Survivor actually work. #Creedishhacks

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

SaltLick posted:

I've always been told to negotiate as much as you can first, then claim you will use their financials to try and get it lower, then when it comes to signing just use your own

I wouldn't really know, I had the luck of stumbling across a mid 2000's, base model civic at a high end luxury car dealership and they were basically begging me to take it off their hands. My bank's interest was 10% lower than theirs, but the guy didn't push it at all, he just wanted the drat thing off his lot and away from his Porsches. Apparently someone got a huge windfall and traded it to a place that didn't have any other cars less than $100,000 :shrug:

Life hack: go to a luxury car dealer in something other than your jdm econobox if you want to be taken seriously and then you can test drive a car worth more than the house I grew up in

E:

strangemusic posted:

Funnily enough, a lot of the weird Creedish etiquette/housecleaning tips from Survivor actually work. #Creedishhacks

Suck the juice out of artichoke hearts and stuff them in your breast pocket

The Door Frame has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Jan 6, 2015

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Themata posted:

Has this person ever worked retail, or do places actually exist where they'll employee discount gift cards?

Gap employees can purchase gift cards at a 10% discount, but I can't remember if you still get your employee discount when using one. I'm pretty sure you don't. This "hack" would end up costing you money, unless you planned to quit and use the card after you had left.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

bringmyfishback posted:

Gap employees can purchase gift cards at a 10% discount, but I can't remember if you still get your employee discount when using one. I'm pretty sure you don't. This "hack" would end up costing you money, unless you planned to quit and use the card after you had left.

tbf that's exactly the kind of thing a person reading this in seriousness would do.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

SaltLick posted:

Lifehack: If you can't afford something just finance it. That way if the item is worth less then what you owe you can just go delinquent on the payments and let the banks figure it out.

F1DriverQuidenBerg has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Jan 7, 2015

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Lifehack: can't afford an item? Don't buy it and save yourself a potentially crippling debt! Creditors HATE this one weird tip!

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

bringmyfishback posted:

Buy gift cards with employee discount, use those gift cards to buy more gift cards with employee discount, repeat until you own the company

hacked

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SaltLick posted:

Life hack: get a credit card and engage in responsible borrowing practices to establish credit and be able to qualify for loans legitimately. Walla! #hacked

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Life hack: get a credit card and engage in responsible borrowing practices to establish credit and be able to qualify for loans legitimately. Walla! #hacked

Life hack: pay cash for everything, never need your credit score or loans again! #hack

I find it interesting how often people lose their drat minds when they find out the only debt I have is some student loans. I've never had a credit card and never checked my credit score. I don't even know what it is.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Lifehack: Be rich and purchase your house with cash.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

bamhand posted:

Lifehack: Be rich and purchase your house with cash.

That's only a life hack if mortgage rates way outpace medium risk investment return rates.

Lifehack: take on debt to free up your liquid capital for investment opportunities.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

To be quite fair this is actually hilarious.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I've never had a credit card and never checked my credit score. I don't even know what it is.

I can tell you what your credit score is right now: poo poo. Positive transactions are what build credit. You should get a low-limit, no-fee credit card, use it here and there and pay it off immediately. It costs you nothing, makes buying stuff online easier, and builds your credit rating.

Good credit is important, whether you think so or not. Go ahead and pay cash for your car, that's fine. You'll still want to get a good rate on the insurance, and insurance companies look at your credit score. Employers look at your credit score. Everybody looks at your credit score. That date you had last week that you thought went really well but then they stopped returning your texts? Equifax.com, mother fucker.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Avoid potentially poo poo relationships by running a credit check before you go on a date. Don't forget to see if they have any convictions if your state allows public access to judicial repositories!

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

RandomFerret posted:

I can tell you what your credit score is right now: poo poo. Positive transactions are what build credit. You should get a low-limit, no-fee credit card, use it here and there and pay it off immediately. It costs you nothing, makes buying stuff online easier, and builds your credit rating.

Good credit is important, whether you think so or not. Go ahead and pay cash for your car, that's fine. You'll still want to get a good rate on the insurance, and insurance companies look at your credit score. Employers look at your credit score. Everybody looks at your credit score. That date you had last week that you thought went really well but then they stopped returning your texts? Equifax.com, mother fucker.

I thought paying off your student loans on time helped build your credit score? If not, I'm hosed for buying a house 20 years from now.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I thought paying off your student loans on time helped build your credit score? If not, I'm hosed for buying a house 20 years from now.

It does since it adds to the "does this person pay bills on time," the "how old are this jerks accounts," and what ever other voodoo magic they use.

Seriously though get a small limit card and use it for gas or something. A lot of them have sweet (and 'free') credit monitoring that turn it into a video game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah it's not a bad idea to have a credit card. According to my credit card statement, after about a year and a half of having one, I have good credit and I've earned over $100 in cashback just for using the thing to buy gas or make online purchases on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Just don't be an irresponsible gently caress with wasting money you don't have, and it will give you lots of benefits.