Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Bad Wolf is a really terrible resolution, though. I think it was just the arc word, and then it's just randomly something Rose says when she becomes an almost literal deus ex machina. Like, really, she drinks the machine light, becomes a god, and says "I'm the Bad Wolf, which is why that was written everywhere. Thanks for watching."

The way I see it, Rose became Bad Wolf because she'd seen Bad Wolf scattered throughout time, because she put Bad Wolf there when she became Bad Wolf, so she'd know to become Bad Wolf. So I think it sort of works out.

Chairman Capone posted:

I always appreciated how Season 3 actually did a very good job setting stuff up for the final storyline, or at least using the final storyline to tie the season together. I think every single prior episode from the season gets tied into it somehow, and in a way which actually doesn't feel hamfisted. I think Season 3 gets a lot of flak for the absolutely terrible ending but I personally think it's about as good as the first Smith season and better than any subsequent Moffat season.

If you take it as a whole, I think "Evolution of the Daleks" and "Daleks In Manhattan" drag it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Metal Loaf posted:

The way I see it, Rose became Bad Wolf because she'd seen Bad Wolf scattered throughout time, because she put Bad Wolf there when she became Bad Wolf, so she'd know to become Bad Wolf. So I think it sort of works out.

Barrowman Moffat! :argh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TinTower posted:

Barrowman Moffat! :argh:

Why are you blaming someone who had nothing to do with Bad Wolf? The only time it was in his episodes was in German.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

bobkatt013 posted:

Why are you blaming someone who had nothing to do with Bad Wolf? The only time it was in his episodes was in German.

I think the joke is that, even among the staff on Doctor Who, Moffat has a reputation for liking closed causal loops. (Apparently on set they call them "Moffat Loops")

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As a sort of PS to my last post, I ought to mention that, while I'm very interested in television writing, I'm a terrible, terrible, terrible writer, in any medium or genre: tried writing a story once; couldn't hack it; gave up. I've never been able to surmount the lofty peaks of GCSE creative writing, and consequently, it should come as no surprise that I'm exceedingly easy to impress on this front (a sentiment I'm sure probably comes through in a lot of my posting on the topic).

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Season 9 has begun filming today. It's early on so of course all manner of rumors are being thrown out including things like "K-9" and "Sea Devils". We'll see how those bear out as spy/fan pics begin to be posted.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 5, 2015

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Teek posted:

Season 9 has begun filming today. It's early on so of course all manner of rumors are being thrown out including things like "K-9" and "Sea Devils" . We'll see how those bear out as spy/fan pics begin to be posted.

Do we know the order they're filming in, is this for Moffat's Ep 1 or something else?

quote:

"Sea Devils"

ooohhh yess I like the sound of this

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Forktoss posted:

Do we know the order they're filming in, is this for Moffat's Ep 1 or something else?

Allegedly they began shooting Episode 4 today.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Timby posted:

Allegedly they began shooting Episode 4 today.

This is correct.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm less excited about the Sea Devils than I would have been before they ran the Silurian detective thing into the ground.

Also I hope they make them less human-looking than the revival Silurians.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Sea Devils themselves are just the Silurians except blue but it might give us a water setting, which could be fun. They might have worked better in the most recent season, what with it all being about who you can trust and the kind of fear and bigotry that distrust engenders.

We'll wait and see though. These are rumors at the moment and even if they're true, who knows what they're going to do with them?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well, every season so far except 6 and 8 has brought back a classic monster so we're due a new revival.

Daleks, Cybermen, Macra, the Master, Sontarans, Silurians, Ice Warriors, Zygons... Running a bit thin on good classic enemies. Sea Devils would make sense.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The_Doctor posted:

Well, every season so far except 6 and 8 has brought back a classic monster so we're due a new revival.

Daleks, Cybermen, Macra, the Master, Sontarans, Silurians, Ice Warriors, Zygons... Running a bit thin on good classic enemies. Sea Devils would make sense.

They could always do the Chumblies.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
They are Capaldi's favourites after all

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think the only recurring villains they haven't brought back are all Time Lords, except maybe for that slug guy who eats all the fish.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

I think the only recurring villains they haven't brought back are all Time Lords, except maybe for that slug guy who eats all the fish.

Would you count the entirety of the "Of Peladon" stories as villains?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Would you count the entirety of the "Of Peladon" stories as villains?

If it forces some poor costume department to attempt to remake Alpha Centauri, I will.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There's also a vague rumor about the possibility of having a TARDIS cat this season.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

They should bring back Omega and make him as shouty as possible.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

You're in luck!

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

And introducing BRIAN BLESSED as Omega.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Bicyclops posted:

Robot crabs

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The next villain should be Ricky Gervais reprising his role as the rubbery slug alien from the Extras finale.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They should bring back those jerkass cavemen from the first serial.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jsor posted:

They should bring back those jerkass cavemen from the first serial.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Bring back the maggots made of balloons.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Bring in David Mitchell to play the Meddling Monk.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Bring back the Cyberwoma... okay, wait. Too far, too soon.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

CaptainYesterday posted:

Bring in David Mitchell to play the Meddling Monk.

I endorse this proposal wholeheartedly.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Craig Ferguson as the Celestial Toymaker.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Bring back the Voord.

Za is no leader!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

Bring back the Voord.

Including Yartek, leader of the alien Voord?

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I was hoping for giant styrofoam clams, myself

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Including Yartek, leader of the alien Voord?

His action figure could come with a big stick accessory.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How about the Hoothi and their silent gas dirigibles?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Metal Loaf posted:

Isn't that just an elaborate fart joke?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

It's like the Fitzroy Tavern circa 1997 up in here.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The return of the Myrka! This time, the paint is dry!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They must be filming mostly indoors at the moment. The only news stories are some blathering from the Mirror about this season being lowly rated in Britain and an anonymous "source" saying they wanted to "tweak" the show, that it was very highly rated on BBC America, and an interview with Russell "the" Davies saying that although he loved his time on the show and has always been offered opportunities to write for Moffat's run, he feels it's better for him to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Who the hell is saying the show's lowly rated? It beat Corrie and Downton on Christmas Day...

• Locked thread