Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
New SNCJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

First caller to WOL observes that he thinks UFC pairs white fighter with non-white fighters to increase interest in the fight

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

ch3cooh posted:

First caller to WOL observes that he thinks UFC pairs white fighter with non-white fighters to increase interest in the fight

Ryan from mumble Maryland always has some interesting theory every week

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How many buys did Dave speculate would be a win for Jeff Jarrett? Flipps said they got 2,000 orders and their poo poo went down. I heard 10,000 was NJPW's goal.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Luigi Thirty posted:

How many buys did Dave speculate would be a win for Jeff Jarrett? Flipps said they got 2,000 orders and their poo poo went down. I heard 10,000 was NJPW's goal.

10,000 and it's a success.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Daniel Bryan posted:

10,000 and it's a success.

And I'd wager money more people bought on normal PPV than some app I'd not heard of before this week.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

njsykora posted:

And I'd wager money more people bought on normal PPV than some app I'd not heard of before this week.

The app was the only way to get the GFW version outside of North America so it's hard to say. I'd guess the traditional PPV buys would be much much higher too.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

MassRafTer posted:

The app was the only way to get the GFW version outside of North America so it's hard to say. I'd guess the traditional PPV buys would be much much higher too.

After seeing that it wanted me to download an app to download an app on my xbox to stream between them in some fashion, I gave up and ordered the japanese version. Going through a Japanese website was easier than using their service.

Seriously, I get that people like apps, but people like to stream video through their computers more often.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wazzu posted:

After seeing that it wanted me to download an app to download an app on my xbox to stream between them in some fashion, I gave up and ordered the japanese version. Going through a Japanese website was easier than using their service.

Seriously, I get that people like apps, but people like to stream video through their computers more often.

Yeah, I looked into it and couldn't understand why they didn't just have a desktop version to use as well, surely not having one cuts out a significant potential chunk of their audience. Seems like I dodged a bullet anyway since they apparently screwed up the first hour or so of the broadcast.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

ch3cooh posted:

He also theorized that the UFC scripts Jon Jones to act the way he does and then told the judges to score the fight for Jones. He was a special kind of stupid.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I really liked Austin's talk with Wade Keller. They cover stuff that's been done before (And Austin still hasn't watched NXT) but it's always good to hear Austin's insights into the product.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Require More Fire posted:

He also theorized that the UFC scripts Jon Jones to act the way he does and then told the judges to score the fight for Jones. He was a special kind of stupid.

I literally laughed out loud when he said Cormier clearly won the fight because of how Jon Jones handles himself.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

sportsgenius86 posted:

I literally laughed out loud when he said Cormier clearly won the fight because of how Jon Jones handles himself.

Jon Jones
Loss 20–2 Daniel Cormier DQ (crotch chop uncalled for) UFC 182 January 3, 2015 5 5:00

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

I really liked Austin's talk with Wade Keller. They cover stuff that's been done before (And Austin still hasn't watched NXT) but it's always good to hear Austin's insights into the product.
Keller didn't bring up Cena's lovely STF. Every few months he remembers and gets mad that Cena ignored Austin's simple request.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Keller didn't bring up Cena's lovely STF. Every few months he remembers and gets mad that Cena ignored Austin's simple request.

They did nail the thing I don't like about Ziggler though. It's a weird criticism to have, but the guy is SO focused on entertaining people that I think it's to his detriment. I get why he feels like he has to do it, particularly in that environment, but right now he's just known as the guy you use for big bumps.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

DrVenkman posted:

They did nail the thing I don't like about Ziggler though. It's a weird criticism to have, but the guy is SO focused on entertaining people that I think it's to his detriment. I get why he feels like he has to do it, particularly in that environment, but right now he's just known as the guy you use for big bumps.

Yeah, I've been hearing people say that about Ziggler for years. Once you become known for making other people look good, it's hard to get in a position where you get the focus on yourself.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
with the dome apparently doing 36k paid, which is a good number but nowhere near the hyperbole dave was spouting, did dave just get massively worked by the njpw front office?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't 36 the best number they've done since they stopped making up numbers? That's only 6k off what they were making up!!

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
it's only up 1k from last year which is way off what dave was hyping up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

with the dome apparently doing 36k paid, which is a good number but nowhere near the hyperbole dave was spouting, did dave just get massively worked by the njpw front office?

The building was sold out for the stage set up they ran. They probably could have sold more tickets if they opened more of it up.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

The building was sold out for the stage set up they ran. They probably could have sold more tickets if they opened more of it up.

if that's true the way Dave was selling it like they were doing way better than last year still seems like NJPW boosterism more than serious coverage

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

if that's true the way Dave was selling it like they were doing way better than last year still seems like NJPW boosterism more than serious coverage

He reported they were selling tickets at a much faster rate and would sell out, but he did say the building would be set up for less seats than year's past. I thought that would mean 45,000 but it's not like he specified. I doubt he knew how big the set up would be given he doesn't know even the Wrestlemania capacity until he gets official numbers. He probably let himself get more excited about the numbers than they warranted but an advanced sellout even at 36K is pretty huge. The only non WWE numbers that will top it this year is UFC in Sweden and Ireland.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
yeah i don't mean to downplay that it's a very impressive number, just that whether deliberately or not (and i think not) he gave the impression they were going to do significantly more. it will definitely give me a little pause when listening to his coverage of their business in future. i don't think it's too far into loony territory to think that his enthusiasm for the promotion might have caused him to extrapolate more positively from the available information than he would have otherwise by not giving enough thought to how big the setup would be. the NJPW front office telling him about the crazy advance they're doing and omitting that one crucial detail reeks of spin/working to me.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 6, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Spermgod posted:

yeah i don't mean to downplay that it's a very impressive number, just that whether deliberately or not (and i think not) he gave the impression they were going to do significantly more. it will definitely give me a little pause when listening to his coverage of their business in future.

Are you a new listener? Dave over hypes things from Japan all the time; it's easily his biggest bias.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

PaybackJack posted:

Are you a new listener? Dave over hypes things from Japan all the time; it's easily his biggest bias.

criticism of the in-ring product and coverage of the business are totally different things. i don't particularly care if he likes NJPW matches a lot. if his coverage of the business end is lacking that's a much bigger deal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

If anything Dave is overly critical of NJPW's business moves from their iPPV strategy (and now NJPW World) to their live venue decisions he rarely praises their aggressive expansion. The comparisons to mid 80s Crockett are very much loaded and in my opinion not deserved.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Just listened to the most recent Observer, Dave clearly starting work early on Best of 2015 material.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spermgod posted:

NJPW said their show at ECW Arena in 2011 was SUPER NO VACANCY SELLOUT even though there was only like 200 fans there, so yeah they lie

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

If anything Dave is overly critical of NJPW's business moves from their iPPV strategy (and now NJPW World) to their live venue decisions he rarely praises their aggressive expansion. The comparisons to mid 80s Crockett are very much loaded and in my opinion not deserved.

Especially since there's nobody as big as Vince and the WWE in Japan to make NJPW pay for mistakes like there was with Crockett. Outside of DDT and DG doing well for what they are, seemingly everybody in Japan is hurting. AJPW is a joke, NOAH's not much better.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Especially since there's nobody as big as Vince and the WWE in Japan to make NJPW pay for mistakes like there was with Crockett. Outside of DDT and DG doing well for what they are, seemingly everybody in Japan is hurting. AJPW is a joke, NOAH's not much better.

Exact details of the deal haven't emerged yet, but some sort of financial transaction happened between NJPW and NOAH and it seems like they're basically being kept afloat so NJPW can bring in some new talent and give their old vets a place to work the upper card.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Thauros posted:

Exact details of the deal haven't emerged yet, but some sort of financial transaction happened between NJPW and NOAH and it seems like they're basically being kept afloat so NJPW can bring in some new talent and give their old vets a place to work the upper card.

So basically a reverse NXT?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bhester posted:

So basically a reverse NXT?

Again, we don't know the exact details and this just happened, but maybe more like WWECW in that it will serve both as a source of new guys to bring in to NJPW and a place where old guys can do more than lower midcard multimans.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 6, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Makes sense, considering having nothing but old guys in the main event is what nearly killed NOAH in the first place, right?

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Thauros posted:

Again, we don't know the exact details and this just happened, but maybe more like WWECW in that it will serve both as a source of new guys to bring in to NJPW and a place where old guys can do more than lower midcard multimans.

It's worth noting that at this point my knowledge on Japanese promotion is basically at the "trying to learn" level.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I wonder if people who don't care about New Japan are starting to get annoyed with Observer Radio, because I'm a huge NJ fan and it's starting to annoy even me the way Dave and Bryan are constantly comparing WWE and NJ. Yeah, I get it, some random lovely Raw isn't as good as the biggest NJ show of the year. I'm guessing if we compared your average Road to... show with Wrestlemania, it wouldn't stand up great either. I don't know what purpose is served by constantly pointing out things New Japan does better than WWE.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It is fair to compare Dash to Raw though, and they're successfully building a very intriguing angle involving a main event guy and booking title matches for February I want to see. This is something WWE is failing at in my and many other peoples' opinions and why shouldn't that be pointed out?

If WM XXXI's great like XXX was Dave will be more than happy to praise it. I'm a huge NJPW fan who thought XXX was just as good as WK8 and I hope they get it together for Mania season.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dunbar posted:

I wonder if people who don't care about New Japan are starting to get annoyed with Observer Radio, because I'm a huge NJ fan and it's starting to annoy even me the way Dave and Bryan are constantly comparing WWE and NJ. Yeah, I get it, some random lovely Raw isn't as good as the biggest NJ show of the year. I'm guessing if we compared your average Road to... show with Wrestlemania, it wouldn't stand up great either. I don't know what purpose is served by constantly pointing out things New Japan does better than WWE.

I used to be annoyed with this both in WO and on this forum because there was no easy way to watch NJPW and it seemed for all the world like they were intent on not growing their fanbase outside of Japan, so why would I want to hear how great this promotion was when they don't want my money or my time to watch/follow it?

I do think that a random Raw is a bad comparison to Wrestle Kingdom, but it seemed to me that Dave/Bryan were mostly comparing booking decisions overall. It's not like WWE isn't supposedly building to a giant show this month or an even bigger one in three months, so the comparisons are pretty apt I think.

In a way there's possibly an element of self-preservation in there because it's very much in Dave and Bryan's interest to keep fans interested in some kind of wrestling, while WWE's product seems actively designed to get you to switch off completely these days.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Dunbar posted:

I don't look at the board or anything but I'd be surprised if there was a large contingent of people that care about wrestling enough to subscribe to the Observer but don't care enough to prefer good wrestling to bad.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Dave talking about New Japan right now makes sense since they just had their Wrestlemania. Before that it was him talking on and on about CM Punk. Or Jones/Cormier. They talk about whatever the big news at the time is, and WWE being boring as poo poo isn't really big news anymore. TNA is on hiatus, ROH is bland. The WWE Network is what it is. There's not a lot to talk about this week besides New Japan being awesome.

On the Road to Wrestlemania people should get their fill of WWE talk I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yeah, I don't expect the WK9 comparisons to stick past this week. It was just a bad episode of Raw accentuated by coming off of what could easily be the best show of the year. It's quite the come down.

• Locked thread