Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Any suggestions for the best thrash albums from last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Golem II posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8arM_6Zzrg

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

IronLawnmower posted:

Bands who don't publish lyrics even on Facebook or somewhere get a few points knocked off in my books.

Buy a physical copy of the cd, dork.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Golem II posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzbFSaWQXY4

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Golem II posted:

Forseen- Helsinki Savagery

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Buy a physical copy of the cd, dork.

Yeah no, not a guarantee. Particularly in more "extreme":fap:subgenres.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Haha, that album cover's great.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yeah no, not a guarantee. Particularly in more "extreme":fap:subgenres.

Fifteen bucks and I got a digital download and a decently made CD in a hand written envelope. It was such a nice gesture that felt bad about getting Vorace for free.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Golem II posted:

http://youtu.be/pqWYQb1PS8M
Ur welcome.

A lot of people don't like Lich King but I do. They don't take poo poo too seriously but they can be serious and they can write a very good song.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

IronLawnmower posted:

Bands who don't publish lyrics even on Facebook or somewhere get a few points knocked off in my books.

It killed me when I got Ghost Bath- Funeral on Bandcamp and the mp3s came with lyrics in them. You're not fooling anyone, guys.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

IronLawnmower posted:

A lot of people don't like Lich King but I do. They don't take poo poo too seriously but they can be serious and they can write a very good song.
I think you're talking to the wrong person.

Also my friend is obsessed with Lich King, so yeah. :v:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

IronLawnmower posted:

I used to think Children of Bodom* were lame for not putting their lyrics in the booklets but then I got a look at some of their lyrics and they don't make a goddamned lick of sense so what's the point?

*Back when I listened to them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I used to think Children of Bodom* were lame for not putting their lyrics in the booklets but then I got a look at some of their lyrics and they don't make a goddamned lick of sense so what's the point?

I still listen to their blue album every once in a while because I like it and why the hell are you paying attention to metal lyrics unless it's this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zk4as9kzA

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
These guys really are loving tight. And their energy is really quite something. Pretty fun live, too.

Also loving Lich King, gotta look into them some more. Thanks Bruce Kison for posting them.

Spanish Manlove posted:

and why the hell are you paying attention to metal lyrics
Because.

Oh and Wuthering Heights have some great lyrics too.

Well to be fair I usually don't actively pay attention, but particularly good or bad lyrics will still stand out.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 4, 2015

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Uhhh metal lyrics are very important. If you're not paying attention to them you'll never know who the kings of metal are, who possesses the gloves of metal, or who would die for metal. I mean the gods made heavy metal for a reason, and you have to pay attention to know why.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Manowar lyrics.

Read the Manowar lyrics.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I liked the lyrics to Orgasmatron when I was younger. Stood out from other motorhead lyrics.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Gigi Galli posted:

As far as I know they only existed to make that one song in Hackers.

Also, am I an enormous nerd/jerk for going to an Animals as Leaders show and enjoying it? Is it acceptable to listen to them, Scale the Summit, Intervals (before the singer) and all that?
I never cared for Animals as Leaders but I enjoy Scale the Summit a lot in similar ways (good to listen to while working, etc.). it''s one of those things where it definitely seems dorky both in theory and practice but I like it so who cares?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about Alexi basically freestyle making up the lyrics as he went along on Something Wild.

I don't really pay attention to lyrics all that often from bands where you can't really make out what they're saying, unless it's a killer song and I want to be able to growl along

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

This is war, huh wow! Rar err ah err ahh

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Shakenbaker posted:

Uhhh metal lyrics are very important. If you're not paying attention to them you'll never know who the kings of metal are, who possesses the gloves of metal, or who would die for metal. I mean the gods made heavy metal for a reason, and you have to pay attention to know why.

Hello new custom title.

I don't get Spanish, good lyrics do make it better. AND WITH A FLEXING GRINDING OF EVIL LIMBS / WHAT SHOULD HAVE LAIN IN SILENCE NOW BEGINS TO LIVE!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Varg posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about Alexi basically freestyle making up the lyrics as he went along on Something Wild.

I don't really pay attention to lyrics all that often from bands where you can't really make out what they're saying, unless it's a killer song and I want to be able to growl along

It's true, Alexi's vocabulary seems to consist of "war" "hate" "raaaur" and "yow yow yow".

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

From one brother of metal to another: hail!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
We come in our longships
We don't take any bullshit
We just take all of your poo poo
Viking Pirates of Doom

That's some profound poo poo, man.

(God I love this band so much)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's true, Alexi's vocabulary seems to consist of "war" "hate" "raaaur" and "yow yow yow".
AND WE SURE AS HELL AIN'T TAKING NO poo poo RRRRRRRRRRRRRYOW

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
this is kinda cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrwNXzwXoPo

sort of a midway point between Carnivore and Type O Negative.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Nordick posted:

We come in our longships
We don't take any bullshit
We just take all of your poo poo
Viking Pirates of Doom

That's some profound poo poo, man.

(God I love this band so much)

I still prefer The Lamp Of Thoth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ7FJmzpwv4

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I imagine Boris lyrics make as much sense even if you can speak Japanese

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

MrBling posted:

this is kinda cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrwNXzwXoPo

sort of a midway point between Carnivore and Type O Negative.

it's almost exactly the same as their first (and second) album but with shittier production

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, they're a bit too much doom metal for me. I don't like full-blown doom that much, I prefer it as a flavouring on top of more usual heavy metal like they do with Arkham Witch.
Some of their songs are pretty interchangeable though.

Anyways, this got a few chuckles out of me. Dad metal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ZnOlVD3Ds

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Spanish Manlove posted:

I still listen to their blue album every once in a while because I like it and why the hell are you paying attention to metal lyrics unless it's this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zk4as9kzA

I'm really glad I picked both band and song before even clicking on that link.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

E: holy poo poo double posting like it's last decade

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I struggle to think of a genre of music other than rap where the lyrics actually matter. It's such a weird thing for people to fixate on.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
I guess Folk Music could be another but I really don't listen to it.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

any form of political music

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I struggle to think of a genre of music other than rap where the lyrics actually matter. It's such a weird thing for people to fixate on.

Lyrics mattering is entirely up to the listener.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

haha what the heck this is a dumb rear end post

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Lyrics mattering is entirely up to the listener.

Manowar references/worship aside I'll cop to usually enjoying metal lyrics and them mattering somewhat to me. I've got a great love of the absurd, and metal lyrics tend toward being the platonic ideal of absurd.

Take a band like Exodus. Yeah there's thrash going on and that's great, but the lyrics have this "no, gently caress you dad" quality to them that strikes me as hilarious so I enjoy their stuff a lot more than I would otherwise. This goes for scores of other bands too, mind you. Obviously I enjoy Manowar but it's almost entire because of how goddamned over the top dumb the lyrics are. Likewise, Impaled Northern Moonforest will have a place in my heart eternally because random growls punctuated by "satan" and "the devil" is genius.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

Manowar references/worship aside I'll cop to usually enjoying metal lyrics and them mattering somewhat to me. I've got a great love of the absurd, and metal lyrics tend toward being the platonic ideal of absurd.

Take a band like Exodus. Yeah there's thrash going on and that's great, but the lyrics have this "no, gently caress you dad" quality to them that strikes me as hilarious so I enjoy their stuff a lot more than I would otherwise. This goes for scores of other bands too, mind you. Obviously I enjoy Manowar but it's almost entire because of how goddamned over the top dumb the lyrics are. Likewise, Impaled Northern Moonforest will have a place in my heart eternally because random growls punctuated by "satan" and "the devil" is genius.

Yeah I get you. I don't like most cheesy power metal type lyrics but the only time I legitimately get annoyed is uber-tough guy Pantera stuff. I think "Walk" is pretty much the most embarrassing song ever, but sacrificing virgins to Satan is fine because it's clearly supposed to be fun and/or scare uptight people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

nerve posted:

haha what the heck this is a dumb rear end post

You know when people who don't like metal are like "This is bad, you can't even hear the words"?