Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
I've been modding for years and thankfully never had to crack open the GECK and learn how to use it myself until now, I think.

I really want to do something small - there's one eye texture/mesh included in Ling's Coiffure that isn't part of FCO and I really want to use it but also use FCO. Is there a simple answer of how I'd go about just porting it right over?

The two mods don't work together no matter what I try the eye textures end up totally off center because the texture is coming from one place and the mesh another like this:

(Not my screen shot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Kaptain K posted:

I've been modding for years and thankfully never had to crack open the GECK and learn how to use it myself until now, I think.

I really want to do something small - there's one eye texture/mesh included in Ling's Coiffure that isn't part of FCO and I really want to use it but also use FCO. Is there a simple answer of how I'd go about just porting it right over?

The two mods don't work together no matter what I try the eye textures end up totally off center because the texture is coming from one place and the mesh another like this:

Haven't used Ling's since Fallout 3, but a few things I would look into and try:

A) the texture might not be scaling correctly - in this case you'll need a .DDS editor, open up the eye file you want and resize it to match the eye textures from FCO... then you could either add it using the GECK or simply rename the file to overwrite an FCO texture.

B) either FCO or Lings is including an eye Mesh as well as an eye texture (in which case the texture isn't mapped correctly to the eyeball shape) - in this case you might be able to adjust it with a texture editor, or you can try either keeping or removing the .nif model to make it work. That route depends on the other FCO textures working with a mesh they weren't designed for, and could result in every character not using that eye color to look like your screenshot. While we're discussing texture mesh combos:

C) if your going to fiddle with the GECK anyway, find a texture/mesh combo that works, and create a new playable race that uses that eyeball set instead of what FCO uses. You can have it require FCO as a master so you can keep it's other textures. The benefit here is you can create a race specifically for your character so any custom body/face textures (like tattoos) will show on your character and your character only, as opposed to every NPC who shares your character's skin tone. If you plan a FO3/TTW playthrough, you'll want to copy a vanilla child race too and set it as the "younger" version of your custom one, to prevent breaking things in the FO3 intro/Tranquility Lane segments.

SplitSoul posted:

Haaaaayyy...
                                                                               \

Sup
\

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 6, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A World of Pain would have been fine if it was like the New Vegas Interiors project and just added new locations to existing places. Instead, there are fifty different dungeons that are all connected, stand out like sore thumbs where the assets were dumped onto the Wasteland, or are THE loving UNDERGROUND WHO THE gently caress THOUGHT THAT A RAT WARREN ACROSS THE ENTIRE MOJAVE WAS A GOOD loving IDEA.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
ugh. Is there an ENB wiper or something for FNV? I think I hosed up switching ENBs and I can't track down what went horribly wrong (aside from all of it) - want to wipe all enb related files out of new vegas and try again. This is what I get.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Arcsquad12 posted:

A World of Pain would have been fine if it was like the New Vegas Interiors project and just added new locations to existing places. Instead, there are fifty different dungeons that are all connected, stand out like sore thumbs where the assets were dumped onto the Wasteland, or are THE loving UNDERGROUND WHO THE gently caress THOUGHT THAT A RAT WARREN ACROSS THE ENTIRE MOJAVE WAS A GOOD loving IDEA.

The monster mods that integrate poo poo from other games makes my immersion go to poo poo for just a second too. Oh hey a "Feral Mercenary," by which I mean that's a snork brother let's go S.T.A.L.K. the gently caress out of it. Wait why do I have a laser gun pewpewpew

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Psion posted:

ugh. Is there an ENB wiper or something for FNV? I think I hosed up switching ENBs and I can't track down what went horribly wrong (aside from all of it) - want to wipe all enb related files out of new vegas and try again. This is what I get.
i use this thing called "FXAA ENB SweetFX manager" i got from i think the skyrim nexus that keeps track of ENB stuff for me and has a "remove all" big button that does exactly that for the reason you just stated. though it also erases the fnv4gb exe folder entirely too so you probably wanna keep that in mind every time you hit that button

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/7804/

this has helped a lot in me trying out like a billion enbs and tweaking with them and poo poo to try and get a look i like but only a bit because i have a tendency to not save the settings or save them as poo poo like "winter stuff current???" except there's three copies with that same name

like it looks cool like this when i got everything snowy and stuff

but then when i uninstall the snow stuff i can't remember which one is the dang one i used beforehand

but yeah it's pretty great

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Wow, that looks fantastic. What weather and environment overhaul are you using to get winter weather like that? What area of the game is it, too?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Agreed posted:

Wow, that looks fantastic. What weather and environment overhaul are you using to get winter weather like that? What area of the game is it, too?

urwlnv for the weather, my own combination of some winter conversion stuff from fo3 and fnv for the textures (alongside vurts stuff for the fauna) and the enb ends up doing a ton for making it look right also

it's just some random place in fallout 3's wasteland that i can't recall

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Looks rad, much better than my installation. Nice poncho, too.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Starting my third attempt to finally play New Vegas. The first post is pretty exhaustive, but what I really need is a solid recommendation for the bare minimum of mods, otherwise I'll drown in AP.

I've got NVSE, CASM, Sawyer's, Darnified and the Right to Bear Arms.

Is there some unofficial patch that's recommended? Am I missing anything essential?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

What's up with the Sawyer mod, exactly? Is it more a "this is how it was really meant to be" and Project Nevada is more a "let's overhaul this poo poo" or do I have that wrong? Are they compatible?

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

What's up with the Sawyer mod, exactly? Is it more a "this is how it was really meant to be" and Project Nevada is more a "let's overhaul this poo poo" or do I have that wrong? Are they compatible?

That's basically the gist of it. JSawyer makes things a bit harder with some of the changes it makes but the challenge isn't too crazy, and it makes the game a lot more fun (especially in Hardcore) in addition to fixing some lingering bugs. Take a look at a list of all the changes here. PN is a more comprehensive overhaul that adds new gameplay features as well as balance changes and equipment. They're certainly compatible as long as you don't use PN's Rebalance module, though a PN-JSawyer compatibility patch may be available on the Nexus.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Jsawyer is more like "hey, here is all the poo poo we didn't have time to fix" along with some quality of life/exploit fixes (like being able to get to Vegas really early - sup deranged bright followers)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I thought it only added Bright followers in between Nipton and Novac?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Agreed posted:

What's up with the Sawyer mod, exactly? Is it more a "this is how it was really meant to be"
JSawyer is made by J.E. Sawyer (Ropekid) who was Lead Designer & Project Director for New Vegas. So a lot of people tend to view the changes it makes as "how New Vegas is meant to be played". It's primarily a collection of tweaks designed to make the game a bit harder: Stimpacks were made to be more rare, lowered levelcap, health & carryweight, etc. It also includes some minor fixes for oversights like NPCs having a wrong/silly karma assigned.

Agreed posted:

Project Nevada is more a "let's overhaul this poo poo" or do I have that wrong? Are they compatible?
PN adds new gameplay features like sprint, bullet-time, chargeable weapons, etc. As well as an expanded implant system and new equipment. It's not a full overhaul in the sense that it radically changes the vanilla game though. The PN team did a pretty decent job of making it all fit in fairly seamlessly and it's also very modular and configurable.
PN is compatible with JSawyer. The exception being PN's Rebalance Module: It will override several tweaks JSawyer makes. If you want to use Rebalance with JSawyer, you can try reading this post.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Hannibal Rex posted:

Starting my third attempt to finally play New Vegas. The first post is pretty exhaustive, but what I really need is a solid recommendation for the bare minimum of mods, otherwise I'll drown in AP.

I've got NVSE, CASM, Sawyer's, Darnified and the Right to Bear Arms.

Is there some unofficial patch that's recommended? Am I missing anything essential?

Well for bare essentials you'd also want NVAC and the Stutter Remover for stability purposes. Those plus CASM/NVSE/JSawyers is pretty much all you need to make New Vegas a dream but there is an unofficial patch that's not too bad, Yukichigai's, which is a good minimalist bugfix patch. Anything past that would fall out of the bare minimum, although if you aren't using Project Nevada core you might want the sprint mod and the grenade hotkey.

You can also install Project Nevada Core but just not install the equipment/rebalance/cyberware modules which will give you sprint/grenade key/bullet time/reactive crosshairs etc without actually being incompatible with anything as far as I know.

Edit: If you want minimalist stuff in general, oHud is the mod that let's you mess around with your ingame UI and make bits of it only appear when necessary(UIO is the current get multiple menu mods working mod and it's really nice because it's just an NVSE plugin that checks what mods you have when you run the game and fixes it all right for you). I believe the most recent version of CASM requires the Lutana NVSE Plugin and you'll want the MCM itself of course. Any other recommendations depend on what you want of course(I did my last trawl through every guide and search through the entire nexus for cool mods a couple of days ago so I'm full of recommendations).

Zeron fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 8, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

oh god what is happening in my mod soup

Sure, the glitched screenshot was unexpected. But it works in this situation. I mean, look at the Forcaster's eyes. LOOK AT HIS loving EYES.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 8, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Oh yeah, I have that eye thing too, something is messed up with the eye texture.

Though there are few enough kids in this game that lizard eyes is just funny rather than annoying.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I thought it only added Bright followers in between Nipton and Novac?

It does, it makes cheesing that part of the game for a quick INT implant much harder (but still possible.)

I usually recommend CCO (at least the follower modules) Jsawyer and Project Nevada Core.

Which reminds me, is the equipment module in PN redundant with the DLC/GRA stuff?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Anyone cheesing some implants would take the Sloan route though, no?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah the Bright followers are on the road you follow for the crit path, the opposite of the cheesing route. They're super tough if you just run that way unprepared though! :gonk:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
almost 5000 posts since I last looked at this here thread

can I mod the game to display multiple weapons on my character in third person yet

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any mods that sweep up the junk and clutter around interior houses? I sort of echo Gopher that people would still clean up after themselves in the future.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there any mods that sweep up the junk and clutter around interior houses? I sort of echo Gopher that people would still clean up after themselves in the future.

I think New Vegas Restoration would be what you're looking for

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

can I mod the game to display multiple weapons on my character in third person yet

Nah.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not really. People have attempted it and the mechanics make them hit a wall every time.

Galdarion
Apr 13, 2014
why do you want so many?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up installing Project Nevada core too, primarily for the inventory sorting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best thing about Project Nevada is that it let me set the progression rate. I always ended up reaching my level cap too early and the game lost a lot of fun after that. By slashing progression to 50% speed, I've done a load of stuff and I only just reached level 14.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Galdarion posted:

why do you want so many?

Because it looks loving radical.

Like this only with like a shotgun and two handguns and an SMG and some grenades and a deathclaw. :haw:

Edit:

There was some mod that overhauled Legion armor that offered this:

Might've been even more guns. Two in the small of the back and one on each hip.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Galdarion posted:

why do you want so many?

I want like two

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Capn Beeb posted:

You could say you had a big iron on each hip.

:downsrim:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Fereydun posted:

i use this thing called "FXAA ENB SweetFX manager" i got from i think the skyrim nexus that keeps track of ENB stuff for me and has a "remove all" big button that does exactly that for the reason you just stated. though it also erases the fnv4gb exe folder entirely too so you probably wanna keep that in mind every time you hit that button

I used this and it seemed to be too effective ... I restored fnv4gb and reinstalled NVSE just in case, and every time I launch I get the ENB popup text in the upper left and then the game menus and everything else are black/don't render. It's not crashing though, I can hear the menu pop up and can move my mouse and hear it mouseover stuff.

probably user error, but :sigh:

Psion fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 9, 2015

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

There was some mod that overhauled Legion armor that offered this:

that would be from this mod
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/42333/

it's a lot of guns

Psion posted:

I used this and it seemed to be too effective ... I restored fnv4gb and reinstalled NVSE just in case, and every time I launch I get the ENB popup text in the upper left and then the game menus and everything else are black/don't render. It's not crashing though, I can hear the menu pop up and can move my mouse and hear it mouseover stuff.

probably user error, but :sigh:

delete everything in your exe folder except falloutnv.exe if you want to remove the ENB, assuming that you backed up that folder

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 9, 2015

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

I've been working on that actually. I've got the scripting side of it pretty much working (at least it works in a proof-of-concept setup). I still need to convert the weapon models into armour models, which I know is possible I just haven't yet figured out how.
So: No, not yet. But maybe soon'ish (soon meaning anywhere between next week and Armageddon).

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Fereydun posted:

delete everything in your exe folder except falloutnv.exe if you want to remove the ENB, assuming that you backed up that folder

You could also do that and then tell Steam to 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache' to get it to redownload the files you need in there.

Raygereio posted:

I've been working on that actually. I've got the scripting side of it pretty much working (at least it works in a proof-of-concept setup). I still need to convert the weapon models into armour models, which I know is possible I just haven't yet figured out how.
So: No, not yet. But maybe soon'ish (soon meaning anywhere between next week and Armageddon).

You're going to brute-force it? Oof.

Well, for weapons that go on the back, you might be able to set them up like a backpack. Project Nevada has some for example, and I've got some in DTO and DBOG too (and WMX-MW, come to think of it). DBOG might be the most useful, as that includes weapons in the bags.

For weapons that go anywhere else, you'd almost certainly need to import the nif into 3dsmax or whatever, rig it to a bone on the human skeleton, and then re-export it.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Raygereio posted:

iirc like two years ago someone had uploaded a mod that had like two of them but never updated any further

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Antistar01 posted:

For weapons that go anywhere else, you'd almost certainly need to import the nif into 3dsmax or whatever, rig it to a bone on the human skeleton, and then re-export it.

wtf

is that how all the mods that add holsters work?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Weird poo poo is the menu clearly works despite being a total black screen - I used keyboard commands to start a new game, and the intro video rendered just fine. It went to poo poo when I skipped the end of it, which would normally put me in Doc Mitchell's place.

yeah, I'm gonna back up some files and re-verify.

e: haha 160 files failed verification. What the hell happened :stare: Works fine now though.

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

wtf

is that how all the mods that add holsters work?

Yes, as far as I know.