Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Is there an actual term for that style of headgear?
I've seen "headsock" used a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

fatherboxx posted:

Jim Lee had an obsession with that strange headgear

I think he has a problem with cheeks. He also draws a lot of characters with absolutely giant loving muttonchops for no discernible reason.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

zoux posted:

Not really. When it's just sort of stapled to their face (Shatterstar) the closest real thing would be called a circlet or possibly a tiara. There might be some very specific term from costuming or something, who knows.

When it is integral part of the overall clothing, like Gambit or Cyclops, then the closest actual clothing was called a chaperon - although that is a much looser mantle-and-cowl arrangement than what you see in a comic, so it's close-topped. When it's open-topped, the closest thing to that sort of fitted head-and-neck covering you might see is a wimple (like nuns or medieval women wore).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah, it's funny that we go on about Liefeld's pouches but at least superfluous pouches are still hypothetically functional, that cut-up balaclava thing is both utterly useless and just weird as a fashion accessory, Lee apparently invented it from whole cloth ( :laugh: ) just for the 90s.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Closest thing I can think of would be amateur wrestling headgear. I guess it's supposed to continue the costume up to the head without concealing the face or hair.

They still don't look as silly as whatever the hell Kirby gave Scarlet Witch.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Also a superhero in sweatpants and a tank-top would be pretty funny to me, as a one-off character idea. :allears:

I swear Saitama in Onepunch Man has worn just that outfit a couple times...not that I can find a picture of it however.

His normal costume has just the right amount of :effort: for the comic.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If I could beat up anybody in a single punch I wouldn't have even taken that much effort. My costume'd be like, a terrycloth robe and lounge pants.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Those were all awesome costumes :colbert:

X-Men cartoon/Marvel v Capcom X-Men costumes are the best kind of costume, noticeably superhero and colourful yet stylish enough that they work as a whole.

Even if elements of it are dumb, I really do like cartoon/90s Cyclops more than any of the full bodysuit versions I've ever seen. No Scott, putting an X on your face does not make the body condom cool, just stop trying to make it work already. poo poo, young time-displaced Cyclops has a better costume.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

McSpanky posted:

If I could beat up anybody in a single punch I wouldn't have even taken that much effort. My costume'd be like, a terrycloth robe and lounge pants.

He's a superhero for fun so he at least puts in a little effort into making a costume.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

I've seen "headsock" used a lot.

What the gently caress is that thing on Havok's head anyway?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

According to the Rachel and Miles Explain the X-Men, it was to mind control him.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Also a superhero in sweatpants and a tank-top would be pretty funny to me, as a one-off character idea. :allears:
The above mentioned One Punch Man has at least three heroes who trademark is wearing tank tops.

Tank Top Tiger and his brother, Tank Top Black Hole. He's called that because he wears a black tank top :rolleyes:

And they picked a fight with Saitama, with inevitable consequences.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Endless Mike posted:

According to the Rachel and Miles Explain the X-Men, it was to mind control him.
That's new. When he was introduced it was just a device that made his costume repel cosmic rays.

I think Say Nothing was more referring to the cowl shape where it looks like he cut out the eyes of an old Spider-man costume.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Balls, now I have to remember where I left off with OnePunch Man.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, it's funny that we go on about Liefeld's pouches but at least superfluous pouches are still hypothetically functional, that cut-up balaclava thing is both utterly useless and just weird as a fashion accessory, Lee apparently invented it from whole cloth ( :laugh: ) just for the 90s.

Booster Gold has been wearing very similar headgear since 1987, complete with goggles. The Atom wore something similar in the late '80s, and Animal Man and Steve Ditko's Starman (Prince Gavyn) had them when they first appeared in the '70s.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Even if elements of it are dumb, I really do like cartoon/90s Cyclops more than any of the full bodysuit versions I've ever seen. No Scott, putting an X on your face does not make the body condom cool, just stop trying to make it work already. poo poo, young time-displaced Cyclops has a better costume.

The X on the face is his visor. It's just rarely drawn that way.

You can't blame him for not knowing how to make anything that isn't shaped like an X.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

That's new. When he was introduced it was just a device that made his costume repel cosmic rays.

Was this because his energy absorbing power would just explode out of control if he didn't have it? That sort of almost makes sense.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

NotAnArtist posted:

Balls, now I have to remember where I left off with OnePunch Man.
Just read the whole thing again. It's worth it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ashcans posted:

I think that Gambit is king of the topless mask look. His hair hangs out, his face is uncovered, and it even has little slots for his ears to poke out. What is the point of it?

Uh... it's to look cool? :rolleyes:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Uh... it's to look cool? :rolleyes:

Gambit just can't rock that poo poo like Booster Gold does.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nevvy Z posted:

Was this because his energy absorbing power would just explode out of control if he didn't have it? That sort of almost makes sense.
It's because Trask - who designed and gave him the suit - decided to include a remote-control button that would negate his powers just in case he got uppity. Havok even tells Iceman that as much as he'd like it to his suit doesn't negate his powers right before Trask uses it to negate his powers. I don't think it was ever mentioned again despite Havok following the Summers' tradition of angsting over his powers.

The circles on the chest measured his power levels, but they didn't do actually do anything other than make for a really great way to draw his powers in a way that wasn't just beams and explosions.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

It's because Trask - who designed and gave him the suit - decided to include a remote-control button that would negate his powers just in case he got uppity. Havok even tells Iceman that as much as he'd like it to his suit doesn't negate his powers right before Trask uses it to negate his powers. I don't think it was ever mentioned again despite Havok following the Summers' tradition of angsting over his powers.

The circles on the chest measured his power levels, but they didn't do actually do anything other than make for a really great way to draw his powers in a way that wasn't just beams and explosions.

Huh, I thought First Class' "chest version of Scott's visor" thing was actually adapted from the comics and not a unique development.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wanamingo posted:

Gambit just can't rock that poo poo like Booster Gold does.

Well, Booster's blonde hair and the glasses helps the color-coordination factor and he pulls it off much better. Gambit is all over the place, color-wise, and that's why the headsock looks bad.

Aphrodite posted:

The X on the face is his visor. It's just rarely drawn that way.

You can't blame him for not knowing how to make anything that isn't shaped like an X.

I know the X is his visor, but much like Havok's circles, functionality doesn't make it less dumb looking.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

Well, Booster's blonde hair and the glasses helps the color-coordination factor and he pulls it off much better. Gambit is all over the place, color-wise, and that's why the headsock looks bad.

Also there's the fact that Booster Gold is supposed to look like a douchebag.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Jim Lee had an obsession with that strange headgear

Is that a Muton in the background? Makes sense.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ashcans posted:

I think that Gambit is king of the topless mask look. His hair hangs out, his face is uncovered, and it even has little slots for his ears to poke out. What is the point of it? I personally think that he has a really pudgy face and he wears it to try and give his cheekbones some definition.

Thanks to the wonders of cosplay we can actually check to see whether that works in the real world! After extensive research 30 seconds of googling I can report that the Gambit headsock really can give cheekbone definition to a pudgy face:

Although that doesn't seem to apply to every case:

Note that the headsock might also be problematic if you're too thin:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Not being able to draw different faces and needing a quick and easy way to differentiate characters in closeup?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who was the first headsock wearer in comics history? Which artist invented it?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think it may be Animal Man, drawn by Carmine Infantino and later Jack Sparling- he had one as early as 1965. The Grant Morrison reboot series may actually responsible for the whole "Leather jacket over spandex" costume thing from the nineties, to add to his sins.

Buddy Baker is responsible for terrible things.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Wasn't the original Captain Marvel an early example too? Dunno if he had that look in his first appearance (1967), but he had it by 1973.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Starman had an open faced cowl back in 1941:

... which was pretty much riffing off the scifi helmets from the late 1920s:

(That Aug 1928 Amazing Stories magazine featured the first Buck Rogers story but the cover art was for some other character)

Captain Atom had an open top cowl back in 1960:

None of them are exactly the same as Gambit's head sock but they're clearly precedents.

Edit: Here's Flash Gordon wearing a headsock which is pretty similar to Gambit's 90s headsock way back in 1936

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 6, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

unseenlibrarian posted:

I think it may be Animal Man, drawn by Carmine Infantino and later Jack Sparling- he had one as early as 1965. The Grant Morrison reboot series may actually responsible for the whole "Leather jacket over spandex" costume thing from the nineties, to add to his sins.

Buddy Baker is responsible for terrible things.

At least the Grant Morrison version justifies the jacket.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Gonna just mention I hate the costumes on the young X-Men. They look like throwaway-teenage-superhero-group that shows up for one issue to fight the Teen Titans because they're boss is actually evil. The different colors make them look like Power Rangers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chinaman7000 posted:

Gonna just mention I hate the costumes on the young X-Men.

And yet it's still one of the best costume Jean Gray's ever had.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

And yet it's still one of the best costume Jean Gray's ever had.

I maintain the X-Men First Class (comic, not the movie) costume is better.

It's a pretty neat modernisation of the original costumes if you ask me. Why couldn't they have dug out those instead? Actually, is that series even canon any more?

I also kind of like the tweaked version of the Phoenix costume they did for MUA2 (although it might bit a bit too Jim Lee with the lines for some people's tastes):

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Let's talk about Psylocke's costume.

This one is a definite improvement over the butt-floss outfit above.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I don't know about this one. It has a belt buckle but no belt.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

It is a big improvement but I think they went a little bit too far. I would have liked to see them hold onto a little more of the coloration (which I think works better with her hair and power effects) and possibly the bare shoulders and glove flair from her Jim Lee suit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know about this one. It has a belt buckle but no belt.

He's just trying to shield his King Hippo-style weak spot outie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I loved Psylocke's hooded armour costume so much, and the characterization that went along with it. She wasn't a warrior, she provided tactics and support! That's pretty unique, I think. But then she became a ninja.

• Locked thread