Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/showOM.php?view_lang=EN&spec=US&book_no=99987-1497&lang_code=EN

Take it to a race shop and have the sag set then a quick comp/reb setup done. It's worth the $20-$40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/showOM.php?view_lang=EN&spec=US&book_no=99987-1497&lang_code=EN

Take it to a race shop and have the sag set then a quick comp/reb setup done. It's worth the $20-$40.

Thank you!

I will when I can find one around here. I just want to make sure the settings are at least the same on both forks for now. It had a previous owner so who knows what they did.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What's the best way to remove those riveted front fender cable brackets? Drilled out the rivets, but it still doesn't want to budge.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

What's the best way to remove those riveted front fender cable brackets? Drilled out the rivets, but it still doesn't want to budge.

Holy poo poo you've got a Martian on your bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_jmwW2NUSI

anyway they look like pop rivets which should come off with a little persuasion from a screwdriver under them once you drill out the centre - you might need to go up a drill bit size to remove enough material.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Holy poo poo you've got a Martian on your bike:
Haha, I thought the exact same thing and was going to GIS for a picture of the martians before I saw your post.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

Looks from that second picture like it's not drilled out all the way. But I'd try dremeling the entire head of the rivet off on one side and poking the rest out with a small screwdriver or pick.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
So I had to move recently and I have no garage, and no cover in the backyard to at least put the bike under. I decided to get one of those clamshell covers and put in in the backyard.

Does anyone have any experiences with these? The reviews on amazon are pretty mixed, with most people complaining about the lack of 100% weather proofing. I can live with a bit of moisture inside, but I don't want dripping water.

This is the one I'm probably going to get barring any suggestions from you guys. http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Way-She...orcycle+shelter

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks for the advice! Pics are were from before drilling, there's a hole all the way through now.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Nitramster posted:

So I had to move recently and I have no garage, and no cover in the backyard to at least put the bike under. I decided to get one of those clamshell covers and put in in the backyard.

Does anyone have any experiences with these? The reviews on amazon are pretty mixed, with most people complaining about the lack of 100% weather proofing. I can live with a bit of moisture inside, but I don't want dripping water.

This is the one I'm probably going to get barring any suggestions from you guys. http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Way-She...orcycle+shelter

Nothing is going to be as good as bringing it indoors but a cover is nice to keep it out of downpours or whatever. I have been street parking my bike for going on 6 years now and while it looks like poo poo it still runs just fine and isn't really all that bad off for a bike that sees tons of commuting/road trip miles and no cleaning. If you're planning on storing it all winter under a cover I'd expect to see some rusted fasteners due to moisture getting trapped under there. I'd try to bum some garage space off of a friend if I wasn't going to be riding it for a few months personally.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Sorry I should have clarified, I'm in Los Angeles county and will be using it daily, but it's also a brand new ZX6R and I do not want to street park it. At the moment I have it parked at my uncles house a bit across town, but that does me no good!

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Nitramster posted:

Sorry I should have clarified, I'm in Los Angeles county and will be using it daily, but it's also a brand new ZX6R and I do not want to street park it. At the moment I have it parked at my uncles house a bit across town, but that does me no good!

The cover will definitely help with the sun killing your paint, just make sure it's pretty clean before you put the cover on it so it doesn't get all scratched from dirty fabric rubbing dirty paint. My boss covers his BMW every day at work and after 4 years it still looks new while I never cover mine and it's faded as hell on one side and ok on the other due to the sun hitting it the same way each day.
Other than that get full coverage and try not to worry when it's out of your sight.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Bugdrvr posted:

The cover will definitely help with the sun killing your paint, just make sure it's pretty clean before you put the cover on it so it doesn't get all scratched from dirty fabric rubbing dirty paint. My boss covers his BMW every day at work and after 4 years it still looks new while I never cover mine and it's faded as hell on one side and ok on the other due to the sun hitting it the same way each day.
Other than that get full coverage and try not to worry when it's out of your sight.

Well it's a shelter (look at the link!) You pull the bike onto a plastic platform then clam-shell a waterproof fabric over it like a tent, so it shouldn't make contact with the bike anywhere. it's very trick but it's not cheap either. Hence my tentativeness.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
$300 buys a lot of PVC and tarpaulin...

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
My dad's GS500 is doing something annoying. For some reason the float needle valves (sometimes both carbs, but mostly just the right one) aren't sealing, but it only happens sporadically. We'll clean the carbs especially well, put everything back together, and they'll be fine for a couple days, but after that, they'll start overflowing again. The valves are getting replaced, but any ideas on the back-and-forth nature of this? The tank is rust free, and there isn't any gunk in the bowls whenever we pull the carbs. I even temporarily messed with the float tangs to try and get some more sealing pressure, but that didn't work for more than a day.
Also both floats still float and the petcock hasn't been left on prime or anything.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Rubber has dried out and is failing to seal appropriately.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I don't remember what kind of floats the GS500 has but I'll just throw out that I recently had an old GS550 with a confusing symptom where it would piss gas out of the overflow constantly for a few seconds and then stop entirely. Would do that randomly. It already had new float needles and seats. Had plastic floats on a brass hinge, the brass part was flimsy and most of the floats were a little bent off kilter on the brass hinge. Straightened them all out, fixed it.
But usually new float needles and seats fixes those problems.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Geirskogul posted:

$300 buys a lot of PVC and tarpaulin...

No, don't. Tarps trap moisture.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

clutchpuck posted:

No, don't. Tarps trap moisture.

Build covered vents into it, like most covers have. Easy peasy.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Geirskogul posted:

Build covered vents into it, like most covers have. Easy peasy.

Why not just a few 2x4s and some plastic sheeting? Either just four posts and a roof or you can build walls too if you want to get all fancy. I mean, aside from the fact that it will look like you have a giant shitheap of bungled carpentry/freely blowing tarp in your back yard, of course.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Z3n posted:

Rubber has dried out and is failing to seal appropriately.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I don't remember what kind of floats the GS500 has but I'll just throw out that I recently had an old GS550 with a confusing symptom where it would piss gas out of the overflow constantly for a few seconds and then stop entirely. Would do that randomly. It already had new float needles and seats. Had plastic floats on a brass hinge, the brass part was flimsy and most of the floats were a little bent off kilter on the brass hinge. Straightened them all out, fixed it.
But usually new float needles and seats fixes those problems.

The 500 has the usual molded plastic hinge, and everything thing with them seems okay. Thanks guys!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
since we're doing GS500 carb chat, I have a question. Mine has been dripping fuel, so i'm getting new float bowl gaskets and float needle things for mine.

My float bowls had gasket sealer in the gaskets. Is this a normal/good thing, or should I not use gasket sealer?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nitrogen posted:

since we're doing GS500 carb chat, I have a question. Mine has been dripping fuel, so i'm getting new float bowl gaskets and float needle things for mine.

My float bowls had gasket sealer in the gaskets. Is this a normal/good thing, or should I not use gasket sealer?
Do not use sealer, and be sure to remove the old stuff.
I do recommend a touch of bel-ray waterproof grease on the float bowl gaskets though.
It's good poo poo, and you should use it on EVERYTHING.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm a huge fan of lubing o-rings with a non-drying silicone before installation. I have been using Dow Corning 111 Valve Lubricant or High Vacuum Grease because both are super thick to hold gaskets in place for install and both are resistant to very high heat.

Kinda expensive but one tube lasts me about two years at the dealer so should last forever at home.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

More GS500 carb chat:

So I got gaskets back from partzilla, but they are the wrong gaskets. I am trying to figure out if they screwed up, or if my craigslist special bike has a different carb on it than it should.

Partzilla says the part number matches what is called for on my bike, and the part number on the gasket matches what I ordered

Bike is a 2001 GS500.

Here's a pic of the gasket I got on my float bowl chamber. you can see it obviously doesnt fit: (there were some extra pieces on it, i snupped some of them to see if i could make it reasonably fit. the pre-snipped pic is too blurry)

here's a pic of my float chamber (the gunk has mostly been removed now)

pic of the side of the carb, with what appear to be model number markings I can't make any sense of:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

More GS500 carb chat:

So I got gaskets back from partzilla, but they are the wrong gaskets. I am trying to figure out if they screwed up, or if my craigslist special bike has a different carb on it than it should.

Partzilla says the part number matches what is called for on my bike, and the part number on the gasket matches what I ordered

Bike is a 2001 GS500.

Here's a pic of the gasket I got on my float bowl chamber. you can see it obviously doesnt fit: (there were some extra pieces on it, i snupped some of them to see if i could make it reasonably fit. the pre-snipped pic is too blurry)

here's a pic of my float chamber (the gunk has mostly been removed now)

pic of the side of the carb, with what appear to be model number markings I can't make any sense of:

Given that it's not a pressure seal, surely your best bet is just to use sealant/liquid gasket?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Given that it's not a pressure seal, surely your best bet is just to use sealant/liquid gasket?

Gnarleycharlie above recommended against that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No. However someone here a while back mentioned a type of cut-to-length rubber seal intended for just such a purpose that would probably do the trick.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Those look like the same type carbs from an 04...
Not sure if the 01's are the same or not.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

No. However someone here a while back mentioned a type of cut-to-length rubber seal intended for just such a purpose that would probably do the trick.

That was me. I would do that or just go to a parts store and see if they have a big circular O ring that fits in there (usually they have an assortment behind the counter that some of the employees don't even know about). It doesn't need to be molded any special way. Put a few small dabs of grease in the channel to keep it still and fit it into the bowl.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I think that gasket is for the newer carb... Yours should be the Mikuni BST33 Twin ...

Part# 16:
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2001-suzuki-gs500/o/m6062#sch246380

It's too bad bike bandit's shipping is slow boat from china speed on top of being expensive, I've never gotten a wrong or bad part from them.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Wel, I bought it from bike bandit, so we'll see. Thanks for your help.

Partzilla has been great up until now, if not a bit slow due to never having the parts on hand i've needed.

When it comes to gaskets and gasoline, I dont like to gently caress around. I am replacing these gaskets becayuse one of the bowls was leaking and stinking up my garage with gas smell. I'd rather not have a gas fire in my garage.

If this doesn't work, I see rebuild kits that have the right gaskets, but those are not cheap.

Don't buy craigslist special bikes, folks. I've spent the purchase price on new parts it's needed. I also blame the friend I brought with me as being useless when he looked at it.

I'm becoming an expert on spotting stupid poo poo on bikes thanks to this thing.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 11, 2015

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
they mailed you the wrong gasket, contact them and fix the issue

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

nitrogen posted:

Wel, I bought it from bike bandit, so we'll see. Thanks for your help.

Partzilla has been great up until now, if not a bit slow due to never having the parts on hand i've needed.

When it comes to gaskets and gasoline, I dont like to gently caress around. I am replacing these gaskets becayuse one of the bowls was leaking and stinking up my garage with gas smell. I'd rather not have a gas fire in my garage.

If this doesn't work, I see rebuild kits that have the right gaskets, but those are not cheap.

Don't buy craigslist special bikes, folks. I've spent the purchase price on new parts it's needed. I also blame the friend I brought with me as being useless when he looked at it.

I'm becoming an expert on spotting stupid poo poo on bikes thanks to this thing.

That's the whole reason I buy craiglist special bikes... I have a bad habit of picking something up for 500$ - 600$ and throwing way too much money at it. For me the trick is I'm still single and have money to "waste". I figure if I get the dollar amount of enjoyment out of my purchase, it makes up for the expenditure. I seem to always need one backup/project bike in the garage. I like to tinker and doing so with my primary bike has never sat well with me, plus I like the idea of having a light weight small displacement bike for around town that's a bit ridiculous. I also use the spare bike as a loaner when friends/relations come out and want to ride.

old project:
1981 GS450e, Bought for 700$, used exhaust replacement, brand new hagon rear shocks, all new brake pads/shoes, rebuild kit for the brakes, new front brake reservoir, new chain and sprockets, and other odds an ends. I spent about 800$ getting it to where I thought it was safe. Rode it around for 2 years. My young cousin said she wanted to start riding, double checked everything, gave her the bike.

new project:
1996 GS500e, Bought for 600$. So far I have chain and sprockets, new tires, the rotors aren't warped and are in spec but a caliper rebuild kit was done, and new handle bars (nice set of pro-taper bars for 30$ off craigslist.) At some point I'm going to throw a jet kit, 2 - 1 pipe, and pod air filters to see how ridiculous I can make it.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Skreemer posted:

That's the whole reason I buy craiglist special bikes... I have a bad habit of picking something up for 500$ - 600$ and throwing way too much money at it. For me the trick is I'm still single and have money to "waste". I figure if I get the dollar amount of enjoyment out of my purchase, it makes up for the expenditure. I seem to always need one backup/project bike in the garage. I like to tinker and doing so with my primary bike has never sat well with me, plus I like the idea of having a light weight small displacement bike for around town that's a bit ridiculous. I also use the spare bike as a loaner when friends/relations come out and want to ride.

It's a fun project, sure, but since i'm new to a lot of this, it makes me a bit nervous too. Since you are/seem more experienced, the craigslist special bikes are probably more up your alley. I'm certainly learning a whole lot, though. I'm glad all this is happening during the winter where its been pretty cold and not conducive to riding at least.

I will probably buy a more modern bike in a few months, or later this year, and keep the GS500 as a post apocalyptic fun around town cheap bike to mess with. (probably something more cruserish or touring-ish that is more comfortable to ride for long distances)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hey guys,

So I'm planning a full top end rebuild and ultimately a Stage 0 of my Bandit and was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for tools and parts I should address while I'm in there.

I want to replace:

Engine:
-Piston rings
-Valve stem seals
-GSXR1100 exhaust cam and B12 intake cam with GSXR750 cams
-Cam chain
-Cam chain tensioner gasket
-Exhaust gaskets
-Helicoil the M7 valve cover bolts
-Head bolts
-Anything else you guys recommend I do for essentially a major engine tuneup

Any special tools while I'm in there? For the cam chain and valve stem seals? Should I take the head to a machine shop for honing?

Carbs:
-Clean air filter
-Vacuum hoses
-Gas analysis tune for new cams

Brakes:
-New braided lines (I'm running K1 calipers and need to swap to K1 from my K2 lines due to fit issues)

Tires:
-Pilot Road 4 front and rear

Forks:
-Seals and fluid

Rear shock:
-Hayabusa shock right now. Suggestions?

I'm at a point though where if I'm to be tuning my engine's carbs and have everything apart, there's no reason I cannot run microsquirt and fuel inject my motorcycle with a major gain to performance and quality of life.

Build threads:
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289452
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303736
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289452&page=2

Looks like K3 GSXR600 carbs work for this and the overall price for the build won't be too crazy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

For the cam chain you'll need a cam chain breaker/riveter. They are't expensive. You'll also need to grind/lap the valves into the head. People recommend you should get a professional shop to grind them but, honestly, lapping them in by hand will work just as well for what you're doing and is very cheap and easy (just time-consuming).

On the other hand, a shop can grind your head and your valves for a relatively reasonable combined fee.

On the gripping hand, on a liquid cooled engine I would definitely say get the head skimmed, but on an oil boiler it's not as critical.You'll also need to reset your clearances. It's also worth swapping out your valve guides if they're worn but I don't know what sort of setup your engine has WRT this. Ask for some prices from an engine shop and decide if it's worth it for you.

Are you cracking the cases? If you are it's worth checking the gearbox bearings and poo poo because something will break if you've got a spanking new engine making an assload of power and a tired old gearbox. Especially if you go MS.

Also I need this to happen because retarded gigantic powerhouses are awesome.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Picking up my first bike later this week. I've looked at a bunch of bikes, and this one is the winner. It's a used 2006 BMW F650GS with ~13k miles on it, also has ABS, center stand, and heated grips. Clear title, good price, etc. Plus thump thump thump is way cooler than a twin.

Things I'll be doing after getting it:
Oil, filter, and coolant changes. Oil was pretty dark.
Adjusting/tightening the gear selector. These bikes are known to be "clunky", but this one felt a little too sloppy, and was a bit low for where I thought it should be.
Removing the PO's goofy and way too huge (blocks turning the handlebars fully :psyduck:) windscreen and putting another more stock one from some of the junk/parts he had sitting with it that he is giving me.
Chain and sprockets looked to be in good shape, but will be cleaning/lubing them.
Battery and tires are <1.5 years old and look to be in decent shape.
Brakes seemed to work/look ok I think? Front suspension seemed to dive pretty hard on the test drive, but maybe this is normal?

Any other things I should look into or should be done taking in a used bike? I'm not a mechanical wizard, but can do basic things like oil changes, change bulbs and whatnot.

I have a family member that is good and knowledgeable on BMW bikes who will be checking it out in detail in a few weeks when visiting and could probably help with any major work.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The dive might just be the suspension not dialed in. Or typical adv style travel and damping.

I'd feel the wheel bearings and check the steering for notchiness.

Also if you're putting in fresh fluids, don't forget the brake and clutch hydraulics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Picking up my first bike later this week. I've looked at a bunch of bikes, and this one is the winner. It's a used 2006 BMW F650GS with ~13k miles on it, also has ABS, center stand, and heated grips. Clear title, good price, etc. Plus thump thump thump is way cooler than a twin.

Things I'll be doing after getting it:
Oil, filter, and coolant changes. Oil was pretty dark.
Adjusting/tightening the gear selector. These bikes are known to be "clunky", but this one felt a little too sloppy, and was a bit low for where I thought it should be.
Removing the PO's goofy and way too huge (blocks turning the handlebars fully :psyduck:) windscreen and putting another more stock one from some of the junk/parts he had sitting with it that he is giving me.
Chain and sprockets looked to be in good shape, but will be cleaning/lubing them.
Battery and tires are <1.5 years old and look to be in decent shape.
Brakes seemed to work/look ok I think? Front suspension seemed to dive pretty hard on the test drive, but maybe this is normal?

Any other things I should look into or should be done taking in a used bike? I'm not a mechanical wizard, but can do basic things like oil changes, change bulbs and whatnot.

I have a family member that is good and knowledgeable on BMW bikes who will be checking it out in detail in a few weeks when visiting and could probably help with any major work.

That's what my husband has! Enjoy the glorious CHAINSAW sound it makes. Also, if you have someone ride 2up with you, they will have their guts vibrated. You may want to bleed the brakes if it hasn't been done recently.