Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Those Android boxes are lovely and those illegal streaming sites and addons are lovely too. You will not get a Roku-like experience with either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would just bite the bullet and order the $99 amazon fire tv and call it a day. This thing is kind of amazing, typically you have to gently caress with an open source project at least somewhat to get it to do what you need it to.... I have not had to waste any time screwing around with software at all. There was so little work involved I had to go find something to do with it, which was to increase the cache manually for 20+ GB files.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

wolfbiker posted:

Those Android boxes are lovely and those illegal streaming sites and addons are lovely too. You will not get a Roku-like experience with either.

Thirded. The S802 M8 Android box I bought is garbage, what a piece of poo poo. You're either constantly trying new firmware or its some other bullshit, what a loving waste of time.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Odd, I have two of them and they run well. I did plug in a keyboard and mouse to make configuring xbmc easier but once it was up and running it worked flawlessly.

On a related note, I got two Nexus Players in, and they're even better. I've pulled the i3 NUC out of the equipment room and put the nexus in its place.

Wireless connection is fine as long as the signal is decent. I tried a 15gb mkv and it played fine.

It doesn't do HD audio bitstream but it will decode to pcm so as long as you don't care what your receiver says on the front, it will be fine.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

visuvius posted:

Thirded. The S802 M8 Android box I bought is garbage, what a piece of poo poo. You're either constantly trying new firmware or its some other bullshit, what a loving waste of time.

Yeah I had an m8 as well, they are awful. Get a FireTV or go for something like a NUC, VivoPC or whatever you can find cheap that isn't a noname Chinese box.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Which one of these boxes is idiot proof if i set it up for a house full of idiots?
I would like to spend no more than an hour getting it all networked and running. Pretty much just for Kodi. But multiple accounts depending on whose laptop is in use.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

I was under the impression that the FireTV not only had a fancy x64 program for injecting Kodi onto it, but also a way to have Kodi autoboot onto it once you did get it on there. Seems like the easiest way that I've heard of.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Which one of these boxes is idiot proof if i set it up for a house full of idiots?
I would like to spend no more than an hour getting it all networked and running. Pretty much just for Kodi. But multiple accounts depending on whose laptop is in use.

Intel NUC set up with OpenELEC (Kodi) is what I use for myself and my roommate who doesn't know much about technology. Even when people come over they can use it as well. I just use it with my harmony remote and a FLIRC with it. It has been pretty rock solid. Should take you a few minutes to install Kodi and get the sources set up. It is more than most boxes but mine also runs 24/7 and is used a lot and I really haven't had any issues. The NUC that i use is this. It will probably cost you a couple hundred bucks after you buy ram and the power cord if you don't have one, but it should last you for a long time. It also just boots off of a 16GB flash drive.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sputnik posted:

I was under the impression that the FireTV not only had a fancy x64 program for injecting Kodi onto it, but also a way to have Kodi autoboot onto it once you did get it on there. Seems like the easiest way that I've heard of.

I'll look into it, cheers.

Burden posted:

Intel NUC set up with OpenELEC (Kodi) is what I use for myself and my roommate who doesn't know much about technology. Even when people come over they can use it as well. I just use it with my harmony remote and a FLIRC with it. It has been pretty rock solid. Should take you a few minutes to install Kodi and get the sources set up. It is more than most boxes but mine also runs 24/7 and is used a lot and I really haven't had any issues. The NUC that i use is this. It will probably cost you a couple hundred bucks after you buy ram and the power cord if you don't have one, but it should last you for a long time. It also just boots off of a 16GB flash drive.

Minipc is a bit much. Imagine 4 adult babies, who smoke weed.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The one I have D34010WYK
doubles as a pretty capable win 7/8.1 (incidentally, the start screen is amazing as a 10ft interface) Indie/GOG/Not AAA console, accepts RC6 remotes (like the Xbox 360 remote) and can even boot with them.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 4, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yup, Google Nexus TV for $100 is the cats pajamas. Kodi can be installed within a few minutes using nothing but the remote. No need for rooting or anything other than in checking signed apps in settings. Shows up just like any other app on the main screen.

A USB to Ethernet adaptor can be used if you can't make WiFi work but I've had no problems via a wireless N connection even with large 15gb mkv's.

4K stuff ? I don't know but who cares.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have a couple of android boxes and a NUC for my main TV. My kids are 6 and 3 and they can both use the NUC but have trouble with the android boxes. Just because the NUC responds instantly to input and the android boxes have enough lag that they push buttons over and over and it skips all over the menus when it catches up. They are a little bit old now so maybe newer ones are better.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

jonathan posted:

Yup, Google Nexus TV for $100 is the cats pajamas. Kodi can be installed within a few minutes using nothing but the remote. No need for rooting or anything other than in checking signed apps in settings. Shows up just like any other app on the main screen.

A USB to Ethernet adaptor can be used if you can't make WiFi work but I've had no problems via a wireless N connection even with large 15gb mkv's.

4K stuff ? I don't know but who cares.

You mean this thing? http://www.google.ca/nexus/player/

I can't get a Fire TV because :canada: but if that works then I'm sold.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Atarian posted:

Just did this for my girlfriend yesterday. You install an app, then change the apps icon to the kodi icon, and launch kodi from that. http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-shortcut-on-amazon-fire-tv/

Okay, I just tried this twice (and it turns out that program is for Mac too). I imported the settings with Llama, restart the FireTV Stick, and the original program and icon are still there. The program looks really simple, so I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong.

EDIT: I had Llama test the event, and then it started working for some reason.

IUG fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 4, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bonzo posted:

It has no ethernet, just a FYI. I wanted one but that killed it for me.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

You can use a USB Ethernet adapter http://m.androidcentral.com/about-nexus-player-and-usb-support

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Atarian posted:

Just did this for my girlfriend yesterday. You install an app, then change the apps icon to the kodi icon, and launch kodi from that. http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-shortcut-on-amazon-fire-tv/

This worked great, although I did have to change the event in Llama to point at Kodi instead of XBMC. Although it might be because I still had XBMC installed as well as Kodi.

Falco fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 4, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bonzo posted:

This guy is doing worldwide shipping on the Fire TV, $96 USD with free worldwide shipping

:canada: posted:

countries with tracking all the way to your door for First Class Mail Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada,

ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-A...=item20e3184ed3

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Gunslinger posted:

It can use a USB to Ethernet adapter (adaptor?) But yes, a decent WiFi connection is needed.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Without having a fire TV, I do think the nexus player kicks all sorts of rear end. Installing xbmc is literally 3 steps with the remote.

Download Kodi apk to a network location
Press buttan say "es file explorer"
Use es file explorer to navigate to the Kodi apk and press install

It automatically is put onto your homescreen right next to Plex and google music etc.

Edit: apparently I'm using the ARM build of Kodi but I'm supposed to be using the x86 version ? Xbmc runs about the same as my i3 NUC except when scanning for new movies it takes a bit longer. Could be because its on wireless N instead of gigabit wired.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 5, 2015

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Hadlock posted:

This guy is doing worldwide shipping on the Fire TV, $96 USD with free worldwide shipping

ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-A...=item20e3184ed3

Not bad but he is also charging $25 to ship and I'm sure UPS will want a few bucks for customs.

Edit: It seems that DTS-HD and TrueHD passthrough are not presently supported by the Android platform. What kind of box would support that?

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 5, 2015

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
A computer. That's why I've kept my Zotac AD10 hooked up to my projector, and because Android can't switch framerates.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

wolfbiker posted:

A computer. That's why I've kept my Zotac AD10 hooked up to my projector, and because Android can't switch framerates.

Been looking at those too but can't find any in stock. This looks comparable though http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173098CVF&cm_re=zbox-_-56-173-098CVF-_-Product

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bonzo posted:

Been looking at those too but can't find any in stock. This looks comparable though http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173098CVF&cm_re=zbox-_-56-173-098CVF-_-Product

i3 is way overkill for media playing.

Find a pentium dual core, celeron, or even amd

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ok, I'll shut up after this. Agree its more for the HTPC thread but HP just announced this http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/hps-new-mini-pcs-give-you-complete-windows-desktops-starting-at-180/

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Semi related to XBMC but the only reason I've kept around my HTPC is because I can run windows and run steam on it in the background (with it marked as favorite in my homescreen) so I can take advantage of steam streaming from my desktop. Its a wonderful thing streaming the game library to the bigscreen in the living room on a lovely underpowered dual core E350. Can I emulate anything like this on an android device at all? I don't think there is a steam android app that does the same as the windows client yeah?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Minty Swagger posted:

Semi related to XBMC but the only reason I've kept around my HTPC is because I can run windows and run steam on it in the background (with it marked as favorite in my homescreen) so I can take advantage of steam streaming from my desktop. Its a wonderful thing streaming the game library to the bigscreen in the living room on a lovely underpowered dual core E350. Can I emulate anything like this on an android device at all? I don't think there is a steam android app that does the same as the windows client yeah?

http://limelight-stream.com/

But only if you a semi recent Nvidia card in your Desktop.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Which I do. Hmmmmm, I'll have to check it out.

Thanks!

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Is there any way to have Kodi update the library on some kind of set schedule or multiple times a day? I see the option to "Update Library on startup" but what if its always running? If I've got RSS feeds throwing stuff into my Media folder multiple times a day, whats the best way to update the library so stuff shows up without me having to go to "Check for new content" constantly?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

visuvius posted:

Is there any way to have Kodi update the library on some kind of set schedule or multiple times a day? I see the option to "Update Library on startup" but what if its always running? If I've got RSS feeds throwing stuff into my Media folder multiple times a day, whats the best way to update the library so stuff shows up without me having to go to "Check for new content" constantly?

I know sick beard can send an update request over http. Maybe your poo poo can as well.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Edit: also, any way to change the number of recent items for the movie/tv widget in the newest version of Aeon Nox? Apparently I was running an old version, which let me show 3 items, and the newest version defaults to 1 item

Did you ever figure this out?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

visuvius posted:

I use the XBMC Library Auto Updater addon so it updates every hour. I thought I remember seeing one that could just watch folders constantly and add immediately, I never bothered trying it though.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

fletcher posted:

I use the XBMC Library Auto Updater addon so it updates every hour. I thought I remember seeing one that could just watch folders constantly and add immediately, I never bothered trying it though.

Yeah it's called Watchdog (http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Watchdog) I tested it but it had problems with something I cannot remember and did not really work for me. Maybe it's been fixed now.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

fletcher posted:

I believe the addon you are thinking of is called something like Watchdog.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I haven't used Watchdog in over a year, but when I did it had a severe memory leak problem that would crash XBMC in a day or two. Anecdotal, but it's something. It DID autoupdate my library, though, as advertised.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
You can just update the library remotely using HTTP, enable XBMC web login in the settings and set a user/pass.
code:
http://<username>:<yourpassword>@<HostName>:<port>/jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"VideoLibrary.Scan"}

Most download clients have an option to execute something after a download finishes, I would just use that to send the above command in a batch script using curl or etc. It's like 10 minutes of work from start to google to finish. Or just schedule a script that runs the above every X minutes.

Edit: The XBMC wiki has exact instructions for CURL even.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 6, 2015

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Thanks for the tips. I'll either use the http method or the add on if I can't figure that out.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Any cool add on's that have come up in the past year that's not in the OP?

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Maximinimalism is my current fav for skins, as it looks so damned slick. I know that it's not skin-exclusive, but it has many neat features, including downloading artist screens and images to create on-demand galleries, which was new to me when I tried it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Did you ever figure this out?

Nope. I'm having the same issue in my Zbox that was updated to the newest version of Aeon Nox.