Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Genocyber posted:

Chapters should be as long as they need to be. I'm trying to think of a certain well-known author that had chapters be w/e length (sometimes just a paragraph or two) but I can't remember who I'm thinking of.

Dan Brown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This chapter almost needs to be watched, yeah.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Patrick Rothfuss does it. Has like 80 chapters in a book, but like 5 of them are less then a page, and another 10 are less then 2 pages.

Edit: because I don't think I've posted in the thread yet, I've been loving the LP. Thank you for doing it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Oxxidation posted:

Once upon a time, there was a poor child, with no father and no mother, and everything was dead. No one was left in the whole world. Everything was dead.

And the child went on to search, day and night. And since nobody was left on the earth, he decided to up into the heavens, where the moon was looking at him so friendly.

And when he finally got to the moon, the moon was a piece of rotten wood.

And then he went to the sun, and when he got there, the sun was a wilted sunflower.

And when he got to the stars, they were little golden flies stuck up there, like the shrike sticks them on the black thorns.

And when he wanted to go back, down to earth, the earth was an overturned pot.

And he was all alone, and he sat down and he cried.

And he is there to this day.

All alone.

The plot to Majora's Mask, ladies and gentlemen! Tom Waits's voice is like the saddest blender full of gravel.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Baron Snow posted:

Patrick Rothfuss does it. Has like 80 chapters in a book, but like 5 of them are less then a page, and another 10 are less then 2 pages.

True but he, and the Hitchhiker's example mentioned, did it specifically to parody the concept of chapters in the first place. Rothfuss went on record saying his editor actually forced him to put chapters in, so he did it that way as a joke.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, This is really all just a little bit much for Lucas, isn't it? Just when he thought he'd done something huge, it all went away.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You walk around a bit, and that's pretty much it. You actually need to walk up a bit too, walking only left will keep you stuck in a loop where nothing happens, as I found out.

Also, I'll try to record a video for this part in a bit, since it is pretty drat hard to really convey it in screenshots, especially when choosing not to do commentary for the scene.

Also, for those curious, since this chapter is so short, Chapter 7 ends up being around twice as long as every other chapter we've had so far, and probably longer than that since there's a lot going on. Chapter 8 should be around the same length as the others, probably a bit longer since it's the final chapter and all.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ArchWizard posted:

There was a chapter in one of the Hitchhiker's trilogy books that was half a page long.

William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying features a chapter that's five words long.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Mega64 posted:

You walk around a bit, and that's pretty much it. You actually need to walk up a bit too, walking only left will keep you stuck in a loop where nothing happens, as I found out.

Also, I'll try to record a video for this part in a bit, since it is pretty drat hard to really convey it in screenshots, especially when choosing not to do commentary for the scene.

Also, for those curious, since this chapter is so short, Chapter 7 ends up being around twice as long as every other chapter we've had so far, and probably longer than that since there's a lot going on. Chapter 8 should be around the same length as the others, probably a bit longer since it's the final chapter and all.

That chapter is way better when you don't "speedrun it" and just walk left in a seemingly endless sunflower field for a bit, and when you actually play the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Got a video up. I'll add it to the update too.

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_Hn4DxBvDSg

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
In Japanese culture, it's typical to see a field of flowers during a near-death experience. It's kind of like "going toward the light" in western culture. In Lucas's case, it's a field of sunflowers, because Hinawa.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

How Ingratiating! posted:

In Japanese culture, it's typical to see a field of flowers during a near-death experience. It's kind of like "going toward the light" in western culture. In Lucas's case, it's a field of sunflowers, because Hinawa.

And just think, it's all Rope Snake's fault.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Actually its all those big city burgers and pork chip bags fault.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

How Ingratiating! posted:

And suddenly, the location of the final battle against the Boss in MGS3 makes that much more sense to me. :aaaaa:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yapping Eevee posted:

...That was meant to be sad? :v:

I mean, I understand that Lucas saw an illusion of his Mother. And then he was so desperate to reach her that he flat-out flung himself off a cliff. Like a total dingus.

I know there's such a thing as being blinded by grief, but that bit just fell flat for me. :shrug:
It strikes you more if you play the game, I guess.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
Even in screenshots, this chapter still gets me. Just like the scene with Flint breaking down, it's utterly amazing just how much emotion can be conveyed in 2D, 16-bit sprites of characters.

Yapping Eevee posted:

I mean, I understand that Lucas saw an illusion of his Mother. And then he was so desperate to reach her that he flat-out flung himself off a cliff. Like a total dingus.

Well, I'm sure being blinded by grief is part of it, but while we see that the end of the cliff is where it is because as the audience, we have a top-down view, Lucas probably only sees Hinawa, the sky and a seemingly endless field of sunflowers. Yeah, the sunflowers end, but from Lucas' point of view, he's probably not even looking at the ground anymore and his vision is tunneled on his dead mother, and it's probably only when he sees his mother getting further away that he realizes he's falling.

Remember, Lucas is a kid. A likely more mature and much braver kid than could probably be expected of him, but a kid all the same. A kid who just wants to see his mom again.

Edit: Shortly after posting this, I realized that with the similarities between Ness and Lucas, the biggest difference is that while Ness could talk to his mother at any time as long as he's in a town with a phone, Lucas can't, which makes Lucas' character that much more tragic. I know that's obvious now, and was probably mentioned before, but this literally just occurred to me.

DetectiveDorian fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 4, 2015

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
I'm going to be a complete asshat here... but I found the scene kind of funny. Lucas leaps off of the cliff like a flailing idiot because he saw an illusion of his dead mother.

I'd recommend him to visit a psychiatrist, if it weren't for the fact that they probably don't have them in Tazmilly.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 4, 2015

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Variant_Eris posted:

I'm going to be a complete asshat here... but I found the scene kind of funny. Lucas leaps off of the cliff like a flailing idiot because he saw an illusion of his dead mother.

I'd recommend him to visit a psychiatrist, if it weren't for the fact that they probably don't have them in Tazmilly.

If only Leder were still around, he was a great listener.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

DetectiveDorian posted:

If only Leder were still around, he was a great listener.

Yeah that dude was always knows what to say.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Not to detract from the plot/emotional discussion but: I may be wrong, but I believe PK Thunder will destroy any shield in one hit.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

It was certainly a lot better as a video, but it would have been even better if they'd forced you into the running full tilt animation once lucas saw the spirit of hinawa. lucas really misses his mom and suddenly he see's her, he should realistically be running as fast as possible to try to get to her.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Renzuko posted:

...he should realistically be running as fast as possible to try to get to her.

I agree with this. It's the only nit to pick with Chapter 6, I feel.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Can't believe that bitch made me jump off a cliff, hope she rots in hell.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MR. J posted:

Not to detract from the plot/emotional discussion but: I may be wrong, but I believe PK Thunder will destroy any shield in one hit.
You are indeed wrong. PK Thunder doesn't do anything to regular shields and counters, but it bypasses PSI shields and counters entirely. This will come in handy later.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HOW DOES A DOG SHOOT A GUN?!?

John Liver
May 4, 2009

He pulls the trigger, duh.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

You are indeed wrong. PK Thunder doesn't do anything to regular shields and counters, but it bypasses PSI shields and counters entirely. This will come in handy later.
Is it still hit or miss?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Just adding that I didn't really get any emotional reaction from Chapter 6. It's sad and symbolic and all, but I think it's kind of a cheap tactic. Others have mentioned short chapters in novels as a literary device, which is all well and good. But Dan Brown (or Stephanie Meyer, which is who I immediately thought of with some of her "chapters" being several months of blank pages) isn't really a high standard for which to aim.

Honestly the first gut-punch of Flint hearing about the Drago Fang in Hinawa's heart is still the most :smith: for me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dan Brown and Stephanie Meyer use words in their books too. I don't think we should use words as a literary device anymore. Sentences are out as well.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Dan Brown and Stephanie Meyer use words in their books too. I don't think we should use words as a literary device anymore. Sentences are out as well.

Yes, this is clearly the logical next step based on what I didn't like about Chapter 6. :what:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Waffleman_ posted:

When someone buys your book you go to their house and perform a six hour interpretive freeform dance to communicate the story and it's themes to them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

When someone buys your book you go to their house and perform a six hour interpretive freeform dance to communicate the story and it's themes to them.

Exactly!

Edit: I'm sayin' that it's not like Dan Brown and Meyer are the only authors who use short chapters, and it's not even like short chapters are trademarks of their works, so it's kinda silly to go "But my video game might be like Tw-Tw-Twilight!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

E. L. James and Stephanie Meyer used words in their books too. I don't think we should use words as a literary device anymore. It's time to burn words to the ground. Join me.

It means no more Youtube comments~

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Edit: I'm sayin' that it's not like Dan Brown and Meyer are the only authors who use short chapters, and it's not even like short chapters are trademarks of their works, so it's kinda silly to go "But my video game might be like Tw-Tw-Twilight!"

That's not what I'm saying either. I'm saying it's a cheap tactic, it's been done to death, and it didn't elicit any emotional reaction from me. :shrug:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bregor posted:

it didn't elicit any emotional reaction from me. :shrug:

Be careful saying things like this around here, friend.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I feel the same way about chapter 6. Lucas was (is) too young to really comprehend death and process grief - it's sad but not in the same kind of heartwretching way Flint's reaction was. That's how losing someone you love works. It never hurts as much as right when it happens, but while that pain never goes away, you learn to manage it so it doesn't hurt quite so much later.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

HOW DOES A DOG SHOOT A GUN?!?

I'd link that scene from Plague Dogs but gently caress watching that scene more than I have to :smith:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Apart from unloading a shotgun into someone's face, Boney could just drink from the gun and pee on things. It's salt water ether way.

Break
Feb 19, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

Oh good, Chapter 6 is next. Remember folks, no crying until the end.

Kemix posted:

Folks. I'ma tell you all now. This gets even -more- heart wrenching. And it's at it's peak right before the credits roll.

Do you guys mind not posting stuff like this?

I know its not a spoiler in the traditional sense, but it really does take something away from the experience of someone who is completely new to this game.

I spent the entire Chapter 6 video waiting for the sad part, and (especially considering how weird it is) would have really preferred to go into it with no expectations or prior knowledge. It really broke my immersion.

Sorry if I'm being overly sensitive, but I'd be nice if people didn't do this in the future.

Edit:
VVVV Eek. I was trying to be polite and ask nicely, plus there is a pretty strict spoiler policy. V :confused: V

Break fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Is it still hit or miss?
Thunder is different in this game. It still misses occasionally, but it's not dependent on how many enemies you're facing. Plus, Thunder is an elemental weakness for enemies in this game.

Break posted:

Do you guys mind not posting stuff like this?
If somebody posting "so-and-so is going to make you feel this way" ruins your enjoyment of an LP, then that's your loving problem, not mine. Are you this thin-skinned and whiny when somebody tells you that a book or movie's twist ending is going to make you feel a certain way? Because if you are, why bother anticipating anything in life?

Sit down, shut up, and enjoy the ride. And if posts like these prevent you from enjoying it, just filter Mega64's posts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread