Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

senae posted:

When people say 5 satan/Isaac kills they mean with different characters AFAIK, doing 10 runs as Isaac shouldn't do anything for you but Isaacs unlocks.

No, I'm pretty sure the character you bring into the fight doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
It doesn't.

Meep
Oct 7, 2000

Sanctum posted:

No really, if you stand still when isaac teleports the beam pattern wont hit you. You can stand in the center of the screen and not get hit.
I didn't believe you since this doesn't make any sense, so I tried it a bunch of times on a run where I had 12 hearts and wasn't worried about taking damage. And yeah, this totally doesn't work at all, you get hit half the time just as you would expect to. The only 100% safe spots are the corners beside the corner where the beams start.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yesterday I got lucky getting the Book of Revelations in Caves 2, and got the Ball of Bandages unlocked (I already had Meat Boy unlocked the same way). Now I have everything beaten in Hard Mode for all the characters except The Lost. I'm 14 deaths away from unlocking the Scissors to get Platinum God. I think I might have to play as The Lost just to get that death counter high enough.

I decided to semi-cheat as The Lost. I'm going to have Cheat Engine running with him, and if there's an item that he can't use, I'm going to spawn the D6 and reroll it into something that he can. I don't feel like scumming for a good start item all the time, and I doubt that Ed's going to take out the worthless items out of his item pool.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Sanctum posted:

I just finished a silly breaking run myself. No giant tears obscuring the entire screen, just the most efficient murder-machine I could make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwQUUeMan2g

That's great.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It was like some horrifying bat flapping about sucking everything down with blood lasers and carpeting the floor with vermin.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Good lord I am absolutely loving Azazel, his runs get ridiculous real fast. Dark bum, ton of speed up, crystal ball, tammy's head, sad onion, a battery and some other crap. The heart just...went away. Keep in mind I'm terrible at the game and haven't even gotten to "It Lives" yet, so this is as close to 'breaking' the game as I've gotten.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I realized tonight that the frequency of getting teeth from tough love is determined by your luck stat. I got phd and the pill bottle and ended up with about a million luck ups and just...every shot was a tooth. It was so beautiful.

I ended up going to mega satan because why not and got mom's knife and quad shot in the chest. It was...not a long battle.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

PantsBandit posted:

So I realized tonight that the frequency of getting teeth from tough love is determined by your luck stat. I got phd and the pill bottle and ended up with about a million luck ups and just...every shot was a tooth. It was so beautiful.

There's so many tiny little things that are governed by luck that I rejoice every time there's a "Luck Up" pill in the pool, and it makes Cain so much fun to play as. I know Northernlion isn't real keen on the changes made to him in Rebirth, but I thought it made a lot of sense considering the changes they made to make the luck stat more influential overall in Rebirth.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I hate runs where you get spacebar item after spacebar item, so how's this for a bizarre (e: hardmode) seed: 117C 8GPD

XL floors all the way down and no active items. The only active item you'll find is guppy's paw on the necropolis XL devil deal.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 6, 2015

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

ArfJason posted:

waka waka is a real fun challenge that presents an alternative style of play while managing to not be obnoxiously hard nor super overpowered
I had a lot of fun with that one. Most of the people who hate it seem to miss the concept that you should be running away and dropping tears like pac-man pellets for the enemies. I loved pretty much all of the challenges that force you to think and play in a different fashion from normal (minus maybe solar system, even though I liked the concept). I really hope he leans more in that direction for all of the upcoming expansion challenges. Like the dude who suggested starting items of Leo and bomb damage increase; but every rock contains a bomb. That would be hilarious, challenging; but not ultra-frustrating. If I want a straight up hard challenge, I can just play the lost. Speaking of the lost, I hope Ed figures a way to let us select random without him for sake of streaks. I don't want to have to use a different save without him for random streaks; because I want to keep his items in the pool.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I enjoyed the hell out of the Darkness Falls challenge (and Slow Rollin), I wish I could have those layouts all the time.

gently caress Head Trauma though.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

EvilSlug posted:

Speaking of the lost, I hope Ed figures a way to let us select random without him for sake of streaks. I don't want to have to use a different save without him for random streaks; because I want to keep his items in the pool.

Why not just back out and random again?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Skaw posted:

Why not just back out and random again?

It counts that as a loss.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

It counts that as a loss.

That was true in flash Isaac, but definitely is not in Rebirth.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Huh, could've sworn that when I wiped a garbage run it reset my streak counter. Guess not.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

PantsBandit posted:

Huh, could've sworn that when I wiped a garbage run it reset my streak counter. Guess not.

I'm pretty sure it does that if you hold R to reset, but maybe not if you hit ESC and start a new run from the menu?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Since you're just doing it to give yourself a lil pat on the back, cause it doesn't unlock or do anything, why don't you just make some tallies on a lil sheet of paper?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Also just play Eden nonstop for the True Random experience.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I was testing whether seeds contain Eden starting items and it seems they do. The catch is you need to have the same items unlocked as the save where the original seed was played. So a seed from someone with RPG will give you the same items only if you have RPG yourself. The more you know! :eng101:

Unless patches changed item generation and my old seeds weren't giving me the same items now

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Is Left Hand considered good? I'm never sure if it's worth using.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I love it. Getting it drat near guarantees guppy mode. Just be sure to drop it before going into the chest!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Depends on how lucky you are with red chests, really. I find the reliability of silver/gold chests to be more useful than the chance you might get something cool from a red chest, but that might be because I always get omega troll bombs every time :(

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
The left hand is the only way to get sacred heart catmode, so yeah, it's great.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

strangemusic posted:

gently caress Head Trauma though.

I must have really lucked out, because this is one of the few challenges I beat on the first try. I had no trouble hitting stuff because I picked up Ring Worm almost right at the start of the run. After getting Coal from Krampus, I was downright overpowered.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TheModernAmerican posted:

One of the ways, anyway.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Do people typically pick up 9 Lives or leave it unless it's cat item #3? I almost always skip it because I am a big dumb babby that hates having only one heart.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I view red heart containers as penalties to spirit heart containers that are only useful for devil deals.

Unless you have something like 1+1 and lil chad and decide to just roll with a lot of heart containers, but even then you don't want too many red hearts.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Take the dead cat, you have 9 hearts basically. Unless you routinely take a full heart's worth of damage.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Do people typically pick up 9 Lives or leave it unless it's cat item #3? I almost always skip it because I am a big dumb babby that hates having only one heart.

Usually I either have a disgustingly high soul heart barrier or use it to routinely scam Satan. If I'm not planning on doing either of those, I aggressively ignore it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I beat Head Trauma today by stumbling into a D6 room without knowing what it was and rerolling with much better poo poo. Yay for that.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
Can't think of many cases in which I don't take the 9 lives if I find it just lying around. It has a lot of utility.

Glare Seethe posted:

I'm pretty sure it does that if you hold R to reset, but maybe not if you hit ESC and start a new run from the menu?
I had a streak go through one 'ditch the lost' backout; but the next time I did it some three wins later, it reset me to zero. Reminds me of the continue bug where sometimes your game would save on exit and sometimes it wouldn't.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Bee posted:

Usually I either have a disgustingly high soul heart barrier or use it to routinely scam Satan. If I'm not planning on doing either of those, I aggressively ignore it.

I still find it hilarious that he can accept the Credit Card as payment.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

That's one huge thing I'd love to see changed, soul heart builds are so much better compared to red heart builds. There are a few items that let you have a lot of fun with them (Maggy's Bow + The Jar gives 20 effective HP), but you still miss out on deals unless you play like you're the Lost.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

EvilSlug posted:

I don't want to have to use a different save without him for random streaks; because I want to keep his items in the pool.
I have a hacked save with all the items but the lost not unlocked. Do you want it?

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

TheModernAmerican posted:

Because you don't have to make devil deals to get guppy items or is there some other weird item pool shenanigans that this circumvents?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Losing your win streak on an Azazel run is pretty :smith:

One Tall Fellow
Oct 22, 2006

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.
Today, I was very disappointed to discover that fire mind + death's touch does not result in the occasional exploding scythe. I cannot complain too much, however, as that combo (plus a ton of +tear items and tiny planet) turned me into a whirlwind of death that allowed me to encounter (and beat!) Mega Satan for the first time.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I still find it hilarious that he can accept the Credit Card as payment.

Holy poo poo, how did I not know this?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

One Tall Fellow posted:

Holy poo poo, how did I not know this?

yesterday during a ??? run i took a credit card to the black market
that was the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ArfJason posted:

yesterday during a ??? run i took a credit card to the black market
that was the poo poo

drat, odds of that combo have got to be astronomical.