Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Haha like demonstrations of how austerity measures don't grow economies ended the practice worldwide forever?

Empiricism means nothing to ideology.

Well yeah but it would still be nice to have some sort of recent example for the pearl-clutchy-type people whose assholes clamp shut when you talk about decriminalizing drugs or something.

Chaos in the streets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

New Bors

This is more or less exactly my feelings on NYPD's "strike".
I still can't believe that there are people who DON'T think this way. THAT, and not the actual situation, is like something out of a political cartoon.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Stultus Maximus posted:

Today's Prick City brought to you by Ted Rall and Rand Paul

Did Prickly City take a break or did people just stop posting it? Been a while

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

loquacius posted:

I think the point is that they're cutting the city's income by not ticketing people for stuff. Which as a non-NYC-city-employee is fine by me!

Court costs and fees are a massive problem for low income people who get put into the criminal justice system, often putting them in jail for missing payments and fines. These are how governments pay for CJ rather than through a progressive tax system, and if you bring up just how punishing and onerous these fees and fines are on the people who bear them they just say "well maybe they shouldn't commit crimes then :colbert:"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Did Prickly City take a break or did people just stop posting it? Been a while

He went through another boring "why can't we all just get along?" stretch.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

loquacius posted:

Yeah uh these guys know it's not America the predator drones are flying over, right?

They have been since 06 I think? It's been going on for a while, initially they were just used for border and maritime patrol (leading to the interesting incident where students at UT-Austin "stole" one by spoofing its GPS). When Christopher Dorner was being hunted they were first deployed on American soil for the purposes of surveilling american citizens/a manhunt. There are no currently known cases of them being deployed with weapons, but that's a matter of time. They won't be using hellfire missiles, but there is ongoing work on being able to put sniper rifles and nonlethal weaponry on them.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Beautiful. The use of costumes and symbols rather than labels, the Job Creator paying with a card while the worker pays with dollars and coins. Ouch.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Court costs and fees are a massive problem for low income people who get put into the criminal justice system, often putting them in jail for missing payments and fines. These are how governments pay for CJ rather than through a progressive tax system, and if you bring up just how punishing and onerous these fees and fines are on the people who bear them they just say "well maybe they shouldn't commit crimes then :colbert:"

I was out with my sister and some friends of hers in Manhattan and we got ticketed by a cop because we were shooting the poo poo with him while we were drunk at 2am and then he accidentally slipped over a curb and fell on his rear end. He got mad and wrote us tickets for drunk and disorderly. We didn't even laugh, and one of our guys offered to help him up, but he was just pissed off and fined us for being in the general vicinity.

So, yeah, that's my story of bullshit tickets in NYC.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Judge is on a fairytale tear lately.

Outbreak of Jerms below:

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

loquacius posted:

I think the point is that they're cutting the city's income by not ticketing people for stuff. Which as a non-NYC-city-employee is fine by me!

I don't know about NYC in particular, but the City I worked for basically none of the revenue raised by ticketing went back to the City proper. It pretty much all stayed in the Public Safety budget. If this is true in NY, then it's pretty funny that the cops are basically robbing themselves.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I was out with my sister and some friends of hers in Manhattan and we got ticketed by a cop because we were shooting the poo poo with him while we were drunk at 2am and then he accidentally slipped over a curb and fell on his rear end. He got mad and wrote us tickets for drunk and disorderly. We didn't even laugh, and one of our guys offered to help him up, but he was just pissed off and fined us for being in the general vicinity.

This is one thing that always makes me wary around cops. There's a million stories like this and since ignorance of a law is no excuse a cop can basically ticket you at will for something you didn't even know was illegal. I had a friend once who got a public intox ticket because he was "acting drunk." No breathalyzer or anything.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Stultus Maximus posted:

He went through another boring "why can't we all just get along?" stretch.

There were these.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Y'know, I'm beginning to suspect that the slowdown is actually the NYPD's way of responding to criticism without looking like they're caving to pressure. As Bors pointed out, it is a move toward more liberal policing practices, but this way they can still act like they're standing up to the mayor and stuff!

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

:fork: NOBOEHNER

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

loquacius posted:

Y'know, I'm beginning to suspect that the slowdown is actually the NYPD's way of responding to criticism without looking like they're caving to pressure. As Bors pointed out, it is a move toward more liberal policing practices, but this way they can still act like they're standing up to the mayor and stuff!

No it's exactly not that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

loquacius posted:

I can't believe the ridiculous lengths organizations will go to save face sometimes.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Nativity In Black posted:

This is one thing that always makes me wary around cops. There's a million stories like this and since ignorance of a law is no excuse a cop can basically ticket you at will for something you didn't even know was illegal. I had a friend once who got a public intox ticket because he was "acting drunk." No breathalyzer or anything.

In some states it is actually illegal to pretend to be drunk. I don't know why, so don't ask.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zoux posted:

No it's exactly not that.

That may not have been an entirely serious theory :ssh:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

This horrible poo poo that Republicans condone and encourage? That makes me hate government and want it smaller! So I'm voting for Republicans.

Allie/Stantis crying over police brutality and torture is the biggest friggin pile of crocodile tears. Especially for Allie.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The dumbest cartoonist here likes the dumbest member of Congress. Shocker.

Also, Branco, Gomer Pyle isn't getting the Speakership in any shape or form, so...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

D.N. Nation posted:

This horrible poo poo that Republicans condone and encourage? That makes me hate government and want it smaller! So I'm voting for Republicans.

Allie/Stantis crying over police brutality and torture is the biggest friggin pile of crocodile tears. Especially for Allie.
Stantis did cartoons condemning waterboarding during the Bush Administration, so at least he's got that going for him. This doesn't make up for the nonsense opinion of "It's great that the party who started this poo poo is regaining power!" but at least it's not Allie who actively supported torture.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

D.N. Nation posted:

We must cut spending to improve things that broke because of cut spending.

You see:
One heavy set anthropomorphised elephant.
Uncle Sam.
The elephant is strangling Uncle Sam.
The Elephant is shouting, with a crazed look in his eye.

"We have to tighten our grip so he can make something of himself!"

Give me the pullitzer.

The answer is always tax breaks and spending cuts.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I'm not a supporter of John Boehner, but at least he knows how to lead a caucus away from their worst impulses most of the time and how to thwart his political rivals. But Louie Gohmert is just a loudmouthed, grandstanding idiot, and it says a lot about the GOP polity that the base is totally behind the idea of making a barking non-entity Speaker of the House.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still can't believe that there are people who DON'T think this way. THAT, and not the actual situation, is like something out of a political cartoon.

As a MOS in NYC I can confirm there are people who think there's some kind of war against cops (and by extension Fire and EMS somehow). Of course it's mostly, but not even close to entirely, white people. Siege mentality is a hell of a thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm not a supporter of John Boehner, but at least he knows how to lead a caucus away from their worst impulses most of the time and how to thwart his political rivals. But Louie Gohmert is just a loudmouthed, grandstanding idiot, and it says a lot about the GOP polity that the base is totally behind the idea of making a barking non-entity Speaker of the House.

I have no idea what the appeal of him is to anyone, anywhere.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

A bit late of a reply, but this is the most impact I've ever seen in a political cartoon.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Why are Judge and Sorensen comics being reposted? :shrug:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Post 9-11 User posted:

Outbreak of Jerms below:

I never thought about it till now, but his toons are basically if Lester had suffered from a lifetime of alcohol abuse in South Africa.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The article contained a link to my favorite Horsey of last year.

Just a reminder of how surreal last year was, for a time small children and infants fleeing violence were regarded as one of the greatest threats facing the nation by the right wing. Surprisingly, I don't think any of those cartoons were nominated for a gay abortion.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not a cartoon but relevant to your story. You should basically never talk to cops, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rorus Raz posted:

Slacks Elephant

The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this was the song during the credits of Battleblock Theater.

"Buckle your pants! Buckle your pants! Buckle-buckle-buckle your pants!"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I dont know posted:

Just a reminder of how surreal last year was, for a time small children and infants fleeing violence were regarded as one of the greatest threats facing the nation by the right wing. Surprisingly, I don't think any of those cartoons were nominated for a gay abortion.

That sums up the past decade or so.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Gohmert got all of three votes just now for the Speakership. Nice going, Branco.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

D.N. Nation posted:

Gohmert got all of three votes just now for the Speakership. Nice going, Branco.

I want you to find five lies in that political cartoon and then do the same in every single Branco cartoon ever.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

I'd like to think that its a symptom of a schism in the GOP but #NoBoehner is itself a GOP talking point. Republicans versus RINOs is mere political theater as much as Democrats versus GOP or the entire Tea Koch thing.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

This is a dream sequence from twin peaks i'm pretty sure

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

:flaccid:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

QwertyAsher posted:

This is a dream sequence from twin peaks i'm pretty sure

:stare: I was gonna say, "Guest concept artist David Lynch here" cause what even the gently caress

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
It would have been more accurate if he drew the fork about this size: :fork:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

D.N. Nation posted:

Was "Dewey defeats Truman" ever a politoon?

• Locked thread