Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
We're up to thirteen votes now:

Justin Amash (MI-03)
Brian Babin (TX-36)
Rod Blum (IA-01)
Jim Bridenstine (OK-01)
David Brat (VA-07)
Curt Clawson (FL-19)
Scott DesJarlais (TN-04)
Jeff Duncan (SC-03)
Scott Garrett (NJ-05)
Chris Gibson (NJ-19)
Paul Gosar (AZ-04)
Louie Gohmert (TX-01)
Tim Huelskamp (KS-01)

Franco Potente fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

copper rose petal posted:

I can never look at Louie without thinking this.

Why had I never linked those two before. Bravo.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Evil Fluffy posted:

What's going to magically make the people smarter in the next 24 hours? I think you've got far too much faith in the populace at large.

:qq: guys we were targeted by a broken person who broke even more when cops murdered black people and got away with it even when caught on camera. Now people are protesting our systematic abuses and deep-set racism and that's hateful on their part. :qq:

Why are cops such massive babies? Goddamn.

Isn't killing a police officer a crime in and of itself?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
They're just teasing me, aren't they? No way there will actually be 29 defectors.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Raul Labrador (ID-01), who voted against Boehner last time, votes for him now.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Labrador for Boehner :iiam:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

skaboomizzy posted:

They're just teasing me, aren't they? No way there will actually be 29 defectors.

They actually need 35 now because a few members are skipping this for Mario Cuomo's memorial service.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

It musta been pretty exciting when this sort of stuff used to happen for presidential nominations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joementum posted:

They actually need 35 now because a few members are skipping this for Mario Cuomo's memorial service.

:negative:

Down with the Cuomos if we get 30-34 defectors, which we won't.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Josh Earnest just confirmed that Obama will veto the Keystone bill if it reaches his desk.

Also, the kids rising with their parents as they vote for Speaker is :3:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

They're drilling in the great lakes? This also does not strike me as a very good idea.

Catching up with the thread, but have an article.

quote:

A major oil spill in the Great Lakes would be devastating to Michigan’s natural resources, the health of our citizens, and our economy, and the boom in domestic oil drilling and Canadian tar sands makes such a spill a real possibility. But the potential for this kind of a catastrophe has been almost entirely missing from the national conversation about expanding drilling.

Think about what has happened, just in the Great Lakes region, over the last couple of years:

BP spilled up to 1600 gallons of oil into Lake Michigan last week.

The Kalamazoo River – and the health of people who live near it – still haven’t recovered from the 2010 Enbridge spill into the Kalamazoo river. The river, of course, feeds directly into Lake Michigan.

The same company that caused the Kalamazoo oil spill wants to expand an aging 60-year old pipeline under the Straits of Mackinac to ship in tar sands oil from Canada, a heavier, dirtier, crude oil created by heating the sands to extreme temperatures to melt the oil out.

http://www.eclectablog.com/2014/03/expansion-of-oil-drilling-threatens-great-lakes-our-health.html

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Kyrsten Sinema votes for John Lewis because #yolo I guess :confused:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Joementum posted:

I'm not sure if it was intended, but that might have actually been a pretty good parliamentary maneuver to avoid a fight. With Boehner's abstention, there's 26 Republicans not voting for him as Speaker.

The vote would be pretty close with full attendance.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm not sure if it was intended, but that might have actually been a pretty good parliamentary maneuver to avoid a fight. With Boehner's abstention, there's 26 Republicans not voting for him as Speaker.

The vote would be pretty close with full attendance.

The vote on C-SPAN includes a few Democrats who didn't vote for Nancy. The absentees are all from the NY delegation (except Peter King, natch) so it's not like Boehner's office coordinated with a bunch of Democrats to stage this.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Apparently Chris Gibson is retiring from his seat, so looks like his Speaker vote is definitely a flip-off to the leadership on his way out the door.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

#Yoho

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Yoho for Yoho because Yolo

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Did Yoho and Webster not vote, I thought they were Boehner's enemies

ufarn
May 30, 2009
There's a WESTMORELAND in Congress?!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In a shocking turn of events, Louie Gohmert loses the Speaker election 2 - 213. :eyepop:

Dr. Tough posted:

Did Yoho and Webster not vote, I thought they were Boehner's enemies

They both voted for themselves.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Joementum posted:

In a shocking turn of events, Louie Gohmert loses the Speaker election 2 - 213. :eyepop:

Of course

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

ufarn posted:

There's a WESTMORELAND in Congress?!

He's most famous for appearing on the Colbert Report talking up his plan to place the Ten Commandments in schools. He then completely failed in reciting them on camera.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The 60 year old lines are much safer than the newer ones. All the shoddily built ones from 60 years ago are gone, all thats left are ones that were crazily over built because they didn't really know as much about corrosion back then.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

B.b.bbbut that's not the media narrative!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Joementum posted:

Speaker Gohmert now has one vote... from Louis Gohmert.

I'm honestly surprised he managed to vote.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile, Joe Biden:

"A son's a son until he gets a wife, a daughter's a daughter the rest of her life."

"Thaddeus, the best guy in the US Senate. I can say that now that you won."

To Durbin family member: "Mother of 10? No purgatory for you, straight to heaven."

To Durbin's grandson: "You've got some killer eyes. The girls are in trouble."

To another Durbin family member, on his wife: "You're lucky. I wouldn't let her get too many steps ahead of you."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gravel Gravy posted:

Isn't killing a police officer a crime in and of itself?

Yes, in most states it automatically increases the sentence or other things like that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"Oh man, this is boring, boring, boring. Can I borrow your hat?" ~ Biden to young member of Pat Roberts' family.

"Oh, thank God you look like your mother." ~ to Pat Roberts' daughter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes, in most states it automatically increases the sentence or other things like that.

Yet for some reason they want to make local officer deaths have federal jurisdiction? I imagine they haven't thought things through.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

amanasleep posted:

You start out with implying that Obama's admin is hopelessly corrupt and surrounded by yes-men and political appointees (something that Brill doesn't allege in the article), you better have the alternative dialed up.

The political impact of Obamacare is that it is a partial fix for health care problems in the US. The idea that any legislation was politically viable while fixing all of the problems at once is a fantasy. Obamacare played the insurance lobby by promising them lots of new customers while playing the doctors, drug companies, device manufacturers, etc by not mandating real cost controls.

That results in a system that insures a lot more people, breaks forever the link between insurance and employment, and focuses political attention on costs. It's half a loaf, and Single Payer is the full loaf. Without Obamacare, which standardizes coverage across the entire country, the health care industry could continue to pretend that US high healthcare costs were somebody else's problem (particularly government which absorbed a lot of it behind the scenes and private citizens which absorbed it by going bankrupt and dropping dead of preventable/treatable illnesses). Now all those costs are in front of everybody all the time via the Obamacare regime of higher deductible standards.

Going forwards the politics of Health Care are on cost reductions, not Insurance rationing. That's a big accomplishment.

So, first of all, if you listen to the full interview Brill mentions specifically the website rollout was essentially a failure of White House staff and leadership because of yes-men. So instead of reading the "highlights" which is what the article is, listen to the interview.

Second, Obamacare didn't "play" doctors, drug companies or device manufacturers at all. It was a boon for all of those lobbying groups. What Obamacare did "target" were the insurance companies who, while being a mixture of corrupt and inept, are not really at fault for high costs. They're the middle men and they're only made to appear like bogeymen by people who don't understand who the real crooks of healthcare in the US are. Their profit margins are relatively small and, in fact, by pushing more customers and costs onto them, you're effectively raising insurance prices for many (not all, but many) other people who already had insurance.

Third, in what way does this break forever the link between insurance and employment? The vast majority of people still get their insurance from their employer and their employers are passing down the increased costs of insurance plans to the employees. There doesn't NEED to be the link there anymore, but the inertia is still with the employer-insurance link and unless you legislatively break that link (as in, prevent employers from offering insurance, period), you can't just give people alternative options and expect them to switch. You can't even play that in a long-term scenario because although over time people may switch away from employer-provided insurance, since you didn't do a drat thing to curb costs the system can't handle.

Fourth, the assumption that "well more people will be in the system which will inflate costs more so we'll have to do something" is assuming that the political capital is there, cooler heads prevail, and that the two groups can come together with an agreement on how to fix the system. The last time the two groups attempted to fix the system, we got... Obamacare.

Furthermore, the idea that people will realize how inflated the costs are and therefore spur further change doesn't make any sense. We already have high costs, our costs are already higher than most other developed nations, and the only people who clamor for change are a small group of liberals who want single-payer healthcare which will never pass because conservatives will never allow it. The new people you give insurance to won't do a drat thing because they have insurance - they don't care about the high costs, the insurance company pays it all! Brill even said in the interview that once he got through his $12k deductible he didn't feel any of the rest of the costs. If you want people to realize costs are too high and the system needs to be changed, you need to take insurance away from them and make them actually feel the drat inflation. Obamacare does the opposite of this, so the idea that it will somehow shift focus on fixing costs because there's nothing else is laughable, and the idea that Congress would then seriously take the sources of the costs to task is even more laughable.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Biden schmoozing away on CSPAN2 is the absolute best.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
To attractive granddaughter of Senator Hatch: "I hope you have a fence around your house!"

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

What is Biden on?

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Looks like Boehner holds on. Here's the final list of the GOP who voted "nay":

1. Justin Amash (MI-03)
2. Rod Blum (IA-01)
3. David Brat (VA-07)
4. Jim Bridenstine (OK-01)
5. Curt Clawson (FL-19)
6. Scott DesJarlais (TN-04)
7. Jeff Duncan (SC-03)
8. Scott Garrett (NJ-05)
9. Chris Gibson (NY-19)
10. Louie Gohmert (TX-01)
11. Paul Gosar (AZ-04)
12. Tim Huelskamp (KS-01)
13. Walter Jones (NC-03)
14. Steve King (IA-04)
15. Thomas Massie (KY-04)
16. Mark Meadows (NC-11)
17. Richard Nugent (FL-11)
18. Gary Palmer (AL-06)
19. Bill Posey (FL-08)
20. Scott Rigell (VA-02)
21. Marlin Stutzman (IN-03)
22. Randy Weber (TX-14)
23. Daniel Webster (FL-10)
24. Ted Yoho (FL-03)

Brian Babin (TX-36) (the replacement for Trollmaster-General Steve Stockman) voted "present".

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Amergin posted:

Furthermore, the idea that people will realize how inflated the costs are and therefore spur further change doesn't make any sense. We already have high costs, our costs are already higher than most other developed nations, and the only people who clamor for change are a small group of liberals who want single-payer healthcare which will never pass because conservatives will never allow it. The new people you give insurance to won't do a drat thing because they have insurance - they don't care about the high costs, the insurance company pays it all! Brill even said in the interview that once he got through his $12k deductible he didn't feel any of the rest of the costs. If you want people to realize costs are too high and the system needs to be changed, you need to take insurance away from them and make them actually feel the drat inflation. Obamacare does the opposite of this, so the idea that it will somehow shift focus on fixing costs because there's nothing else is laughable, and the idea that Congress would then seriously take the sources of the costs to task is even more laughable.

Actually, to your last point, after the aca rollout my job's insurance company implemented new cost transparency web tools and taught people how to use them. United healthcare has a function online where you could shop around for hip replacements, for example, and employees are strongly encouraged to use them so the group rates dont go up for everyone. So since the insurance companies cant just lean on customers now, they're applying pressure to providers to cut costs.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Boehner: 216
Pelosi: 164
Webster: 12
Gohmert: 3
Yoho: 2
Jordan: 2
Jim Cooper: 1
Pete DeFazio: 1
Jeff Duncan: 1
Trey Gowdy: 1
John Lewis: 1
Kevin McCarthy: 1
Rand Paul: 1
Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III: 1
Colin Powell: 1
1 present

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Who is Daniel Webster and why did he get so many votes? He doesn't even have a Webster For Speaker website like Louie does.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I get that voting districts are jerrymandered to hell so that universally reviled and ineffective leaders like Mitch McConnell retain their seat no matter the circumstances, but how does this work in Senate votes?

Do each of these uncharismatic, loathsome, ineffective buffoons keep a vault of photos of politicians diddling children to blackmail them into doing anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

What? McConnell is in the Senate, the gerrymandering is from state borders, no districts involved at all. Learn a bit more about the election system?

• Locked thread