Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Windows 98 posted:

It is indeed a personal collection. I don't really ever plan on buying anything that would be worth a fortune in the future. If I was going to do that I'd buy an already CGC rated version of a high quality. I just like collecting :)

Cool. My favorite comic buy was issue 51 of Hellblazer, it was in good condition. I don't think it was a particularly rare or sought after issue, but it (as near as I can tell) contains the first direct reference ever to John Constantine being bisexual. And at the time I got it wasn't in any Hellblazer trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My LCS has a Spider Man #1 (black and gold version) CGC 9.4 for $100 and I can't tell you how badly I want to buy that because I love the cover of that book.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

SalTheBard posted:

My LCS has a Spider Man #1 (black and gold version) CGC 9.4 for $100 and I can't tell you how badly I want to buy that because I love the cover of that book.

If you look earlier in the thread from my posts I have that exact issue (not CGC however, but nearly mint) signed by Todd McFarlane :)

Edit: found the post

Turns out it's the black and silver not black and gold :-/

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 5, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looks more like it's been signed by someone called "Tojfy" to me. :v:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

So buy it! When I was a kid I'd try to buy first appearance comics of characters I like or just fill out backissues of my favorite comics. I think I spent like $50 for the Sword of Azrael series because I liked him and liked Joe Quesada's art. That was a lot for a kid!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

So buy it! When I was a kid I'd try to buy first appearance comics of characters I like or just fill out backissues of my favorite comics. I think I spent like $50 for the Sword of Azrael series because I liked him and liked Joe Quesada's art. That was a lot for a kid!

That series is still awesome.

WHAT?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Metal Loaf posted:

Looks more like it's been signed by someone called "Tojfy" to me. :v:

I know right? His signature is poo poo for someone who probably signs things constantly. You'd think he would maybe work on it a bit. However I do have a letter of authenticity with it so it is in fact his lovely rear end signature.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Windows 98 posted:

If you look earlier in the thread from my posts I have that exact issue (not CGC however, but nearly mint) signed by Todd McFarlane :)

Edit: found the post

Turns out it's the black and silver not black and gold :-/

I'm pretty sure I drooled over it when you posted it originally

Codependent Poster posted:

I've been tempted to but I really don't have 100 to spend :-(

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 5, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/01/06/tomorrows-amazing-spider-man-will-break-things-get-offline-remain-unspoiled/

Place your bets, folks! What'll the big twist be?!

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Spider-Man dies, is replaced by Superior Spider-Man.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Spider-Man dies, is replaced by Superior Spider-Man.

This would legit be hilarious

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dan Slott will come back to the internet. :(

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Peter is still dead and this is all some sort of purgatory/hell he must escape from and these Spider-Men helping him are all some sort of illusion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Spider-Girl dies on every page.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Silk is Mayday's real mother.

If it were actually as huge as they're claiming then someone on 4Chan would have leaked it already, the guy leaks every major Spider-Man moment like that a day or two before. At best it will be a fakeout, at worst Slott will brutally murder a fan favorite and then pretend to be a victim when people don't like it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I have to wonder how brain damaged you have to be in the age of piracy and internet access to think that controversy can generate comic book sales. I mean, sure, there's always that idiot who wants to own 10 copies of "the issue where Spider-man rapes a guy" because he thinks it'll be worth something in 20 years, but is that really a significant enough number to justify how Slott writes his books?

E: Jesus Christ, I just realized Dan Slott's basically turned into Vince Russo.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 6, 2015

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Something to do with Howard the Duck, Rocket Raccoon, and Spider-Ham.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Slott thinks "Oh poo poo" and "rage" sells comics. It's his writing style. He's trying to make the dedicated fans so disgusted that they'll buy comics to rage. That doesn't really happen anymore, people just pirate it. Spider-Man and Batman are basically unsinkable, it doesn't matter who writes it or what happens, because they'll still be some of the best selling comics for both companies because of how recognizable they are.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It's just the usual Bleeding Cool click bait nonsense and I don't know how that has anything to do with Slott.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It'll probably be something that looks horrible, then you wait five minutes and realize there's a way to rationalize it to not be horrible even though it's clear what the first impression will be and then it won't matter an issue afterwards. That's happened, like, four times this whole run only now we're giving BleedingCool clicks for some reason.

I just want the next issue to Spider-man and the X-Men to come out...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's stupid. Why is Peter Spider-man? an alternate Uncle Ben shows up on the last page.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I appreciate Slott continuing to do the 90's cartoon in comic book form.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Waterhaul posted:

I appreciate Slott continuing to do the 90's cartoon in comic book form.

Please don't insult the 90's cartoon like that.

Although I hope this means we'll get to see Stan Lee at the end of this storyline.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Tavarin posted:

Please don't insult the 90's cartoon like that.

Although I hope this means we'll get to see Stan Lee at the end of this storyline.

I refuse to believe that Slott had an arc called Ends of the Earth for any other reason :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWRjsqoSWTI

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

It's stupid. Why is Peter Spider-man? an alternate Uncle Ben shows up on the last page.
WOW! Who could have seen THAT coming? Except literally everyone on the internet was waiting for him to show up in one form or another.

Waterhaul posted:

I refuse to believe that Slott had an arc called Ends of the Earth for any other reason :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWRjsqoSWTI

But Shocker wasn't even IN that arc, was he? Wasted opportunity!

Edit: Good news, everyone!

Tom DeFalco posted:

Attention all SPIDER-GIRL fans, please mark January 21 on your calendars. SPIDER-VERSE TEAM-UP #3 goes on sale and features an all-new SPIDER-GIRL story by Ron Frenz, Sal Buscema and me.

We want this book to sell out and go back to press so please spread the word. Let’s show MARVEL that our girl still has an audience

I know some of you aren’t very happy with certain recent developments, but—TRUST ME—this story may ease your fears and bring a smile to your face! ( And, perhaps, a tear to your eyes.)

Thanks for being there!
Tom D.

Here's hoping it works out this time, Tom. :unsmith:

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 6, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Darn and I was hoping the twist would be that everyone gets incursion'd, then the camera zooms out to reveal Uatu standing there saying "And that's what would happen if I got shot in the head and Spider-Man got mind-whammied by my eyeball", revealing the entire last 4 months of Marvel continuity to be a What If.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Darn and I was hoping the twist would be that everyone gets incursion'd, then the camera zooms out to reveal Uatu standing there saying "And that's what would happen if I got shot in the head and Spider-Man got mind-whammied by my eyeball", revealing the entire last 4 months of Marvel continuity to be a What If.

Nononono, clearly the reveal would be Uatu explaining 'this is what would happen if Peter was an idiot who sold his marriage to Satan.' A perfect lead-in to Renew your Vows.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yvonmukluk posted:

Nononono, clearly the reveal would be Uatu explaining 'this is what would happen if Peter was an idiot who sold his marriage to Satan.' A perfect lead-in to Renew your Vows.

Now I want a story where Aunt May dies of old age and Peter sells his soul to bring her back as a zombie because screw biology

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Edit: Good news, everyone!

Here's hoping it works out this time, Tom. :unsmith:

I really like Mayday as a concept and I purchased MC2 Spider-Girl for a very long time. But Tom D has such atrocious dialogue. I mean I know all teenagers written by 40 something adults sound bad, but his sound way worse.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If Uncle Ben comes back and smacks all the Vampires upside the head and Aunt May forces them to subsist on a diet of wheatcakes, I am all in.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

notthegoatseguy posted:

I really like Mayday as a concept and I purchased MC2 Spider-Girl for a very long time. But Tom D has such atrocious dialogue. I mean I know all teenagers written by 40 something adults sound bad, but his sound way worse.

I'll still take that over latter-day Slott.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Gatts posted:

If Uncle Ben comes back and smacks all the Vampires upside the head and Aunt May forces them to subsist on a diet of wheatcakes, I am all in.

It wouldn't shock me one little bit if it was revealed that an alternate version of Uncle Ben was actually the powerful main older guy of the Anne Rice Brigade all the Spider-mans are fighting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think I figured out Slott's endgame.

Little Benjy, Mayday's younger brother is going to be flung back in time and become 616 Ben Parker. That's why they want him so badly. If they can destroy him, nobody teaches the "real" Peter about power & responsibility and thus destroying his history.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

notthegoatseguy posted:

Marvel needs their own Scott Lobdell hanging around.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

"WHAT IF Johnny Blaze had Become Spider-Man?"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So...apparently SUPAIDAMAN got killed this issue.

Why even live?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Which one is that?

I just want more sp//dr one shots, or mayeb a tv show. I feel like I haven't seen them since the one shot.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yvonmukluk posted:

So...apparently SUPAIDAMAN got killed this issue.

Why even live?

I know you're going to be outraged and :argh: the entire event but can you at least read the book before giving out.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Nevvy Z posted:

Which one is that?

I just want more sp//dr one shots, or mayeb a tv show. I feel like I haven't seen them since the one shot.

The Japanese TV Show one and he doesn't die. SP//DR is in this issue, but just fighting in the background.

It was an alright issue but a noticeable drop without Coipel around. More totem and prophecy nonsense but Punk Spider-Man vs Hammerhead was a nice visual gag and Miles and Friends adventures look fun.

And Bleeding Cool's "big internet breaking nonsense" was just that they go to a post nuclear world as the Spider-People have slightly better resistance to the fallout and find that world's totem, who is Uncle Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If the villians weren't so stupidly overpowered, Slott toned down the killings and wouldn't put a scene per issue (at least) of the Spidermen getting chumped this would be a good story.

Hell, I'd pay good money for an ongoing of Spidermen team ups.

• Locked thread