Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

From the sound of it, I'm betting IBM is going to continue selling of their remaining X86 Hardward, Storage and focus on consulting, software, services, midrange/HPC, etc.

Aunt Beth, have you or has anyone else worked on IBM i before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Misogynist posted:

Where are you commuting from? Can't you take NJ Transit from Newark straight into Penn and take the 10 minute walk up to Rockefeller Center?

I used to do LIRR 90 minutes each way plus the walk up. I got more exercise then than any other point in my professional life, and the commute really was kind of enjoyable once you take stupid train transfers out of the equation.

It's not a 10 minute walk from Penn to Rockefeller Center. 10 minute bike ride if you're lucky, maybe, but that's a serious amount of luck to get a Citibike during peak hours in either direction.

It'd end up being NJT from Union to Newark Penn, PATH from Newark Penn to Journal Square, transfer at JSQ to a 33rd bound train, BDFM to Rockefeller Center, then another long block or two to get to the office.

The walk would be from Penn to 6th Ave then 24 blocks to 48th. Not my idea of a morning workout given rain and snow. I'm getting a good workout at the Club Metro across from my office - it's got a branch in my hometown too - and while I've done the NYC commute, it was close to Penn both times.

I'm spoiled by the Jersey commute... yeah, I have to contend with the Turnpike but it's way shorter, even with normal lovely traffic. 35 minutes door-to-door beats an hour any day, also the cost of gas + wear & tear is still a savings over parking + train fare. Should something come up closer to Penn/Port Authority (but then only if it's perfect, NJ Transit buses and their departure areas could give Torquemada lessons) I'd mull it over, but the good thing about being fairly happy where you are is that it takes a lot to move you.

Not saying I wouldn't move for the right place, just that I'm in an admittedly very foreign place with not planning an exit.

JHVH-1 posted:

Yeah the northeast corridor line goes from Newark Penn to New York Penn in probably under 20 minute once you get on.
Depends on how far out from Newark you are though, it could be a bit of a trek and there are a ton of Indian professionals in Edison that use it to take to their jobs in the city so it sucks if you have to go during rush hours. If you can push the commute back a bit till when its not busy you get the nicer trains and it could be a relaxing ride if you bring a book, video game or listen to podcasts.

I took the train from Edison for a while before I moved to Union. The Indian professional crowd happens at Metropark most days, Edison wasn't so bad. Even the Metropark influx isn't so bad. My former boss was heavily prejudiced against Indians and more than once made disparaging jokes about curry sine he got on at Metuchen. Still, though, it's not too awful on the Northeast Corridor if that's the line you take. People don't bother you and usually there's enough seats if you walk a bit on the train or platform.

Even if I took NJ Transit from Union, it's a transfer at Newark to the rest of NJ Transit. The Raritan Valley Line isn't electrified, and they don't allow diesel trains into New York Penn. They just started doing some pilot one-seat rides on off-peak hours by using dual-mode locomotives, switching from diesel to electric at Penn, but given the freight railway use just east of Union and the fact that RVL trains have to cross tracks to get into Newark Penn means it's going to be peak-hour transfers for the foreseeable future.

Meanwhile, the very definition of irony: my sleep apneatic co-worker has nodded off for the eighth or ninth time today snoring away. I'm going through my spam folder to see if something from a vendor got caught.

Why yes, the second email from the top as a "STOP SNORING NOW" spam. Eight more feet to the right, spambots :-(

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 6, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

theDOWmustflow posted:

Hey, I'm a STEM non-CS/Engineering graduate now interested in pursuing software engineering as a career path. According to my EE and CS friends, the ideal path to being hired at a Fortune 500 tech is via on-campus recruitment. Unfortunately I have no formal CS training or courses, so I think my best bet is to pursue an MS in CS to "legitimize" myself as a software engineering candidate and because it would give me another shot at campus linked internships and offers. However I'm not sure how to fulfill the CS pre-reqs having already graduated, and I'd like to attend strong schools for my masters.

I've heard about the Oregon State online B.S in CS but I'm wary of online courses because of the reputation of diploma mills, etc. I know UC Berkeley offers continuing education courses in computer science however I'm not sure how schools will look at requirements being fulfilled at an extension school. UCB extension would be most convenient since I live close to campus and I'll be able to continue working full-time while enrolled.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Well, first of all, Oregon State and UCB are legitimate, accredited universities, not degree mills, and even "normal" students take online courses as part of their degree ALL THE TIME. People get post-bac education ALL THE TIME. We don't live in a world where you graduate from high school, go to college for exactly four years, get a job at a company and stay there until you retire with a pension anymore.

I can't tell you anything about the programs; my advice there is to talk to someone in charge of this poo poo at the school you're interested in. Ask them about their online and/or post-bac programs and how they compare to their traditional programs, and make sure to talk about your plans for graduate school and your concerns about online programs being good enough. They will be able to point you in the right direction.

But before you go through all that, let me tell you this. You don't need a master's degree to be a software engineer. You don't even need a bachelor's degree. Oh sure, a bachelor's can help get you those first couple jobs, but after that your experience is going to carry so much more weight that your education will barely be a footnote. A master's degree will help you later in your career, when you want to get into the more specialized fields, but I would really recommend against getting one for anyone just looking to break into the industry, unless you have a very specific specialization in mind that requires one (do you?). This goes triple if you have to go into (possibly more) debt for it, that is completely insane.

Also, why software engineering? Is it one of your hobbies? Do you enjoy it? Or is it just that you want to work at Google because you've heard they're awesome? If the latter, holy poo poo do not force yourself through a master's program in this field, because if you don't enjoy it at least somewhat Google will probably clue in to that fact and not want to hire you anyway.

I can give you a little more advice if you tell me what your relationship is with programming right now.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Contingency posted:

Titles certainly do matter--if you are applying for a III position, it's less of an uphill battle to be a II/III applying than a I. It's also important to keep pace with others in your company, lest your overinflated peer over in ABC Division one day becomes the underqualified boss in yours.
I agree that they matter if you intend to stay at the same company, just that doing so is becoming less and less the norm, and it doesn't matter a lot of if you leave.

Misogynist posted:

Elaborating on this, for this reason, it communicates that the company values your professional development more than it believes you're a flight risk.

Assuming you're at a company with a track to climb and a penchant for internal promotions, yeah. This is just so far outside the norm in 2015 that I tend to assume other rationale.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

Well, first of all, Oregon State and UCB are legitimate, accredited universities, not degree mills, and even "normal" students take online courses as part of their degree ALL THE TIME.

I was talking to someone who graduated college recently and was a little floored by this. They went to a normal, in-person four year university and said that nearly every class had a heavy online component. Not just submitting a couple things through Blackboard, but like all exams done online, lots of mandatory discussion forums, video lectures, etc. I graduated in 2006 and we hardly did anything online, even as a CS major. I was surprised to learn how pervasive mostly- or fully-online courses have become even at traditional schools.

drat kids and their interweb learnin' :corsair:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Aunt Beth, have you or has anyone else worked on IBM i before?
I work on hardware, so I don't have a tremendous amount of knowledge on the OS side of iSeries, but yes, I have. I think it's a really underappreciated system for a lot of reasons. Why do you ask?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Docjowles posted:

I was talking to someone who graduated college recently and was a little floored by this. They went to a normal, in-person four year university and said that nearly every class had a heavy online component. Not just submitting a couple things through Blackboard, but like all exams done online, lots of mandatory discussion forums, video lectures, etc. I graduated in 2006 and we hardly did anything online, even as a CS major. I was surprised to learn how pervasive mostly- or fully-online courses have become even at traditional schools.

drat kids and their interweb learnin' :corsair:

Yeah it's pretty neat if you ask me. Some subjects really lend themselves well to it, too, like literature. Read this book, log into a message board or a chatroom with your professor and classmates, and have a discussion about it. Eat a huge plate of spaghetti at the same time if you want. Pants optional. Just participate.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MJP posted:

It's not a 10 minute walk from Penn to Rockefeller Center. 10 minute bike ride if you're lucky, maybe, but that's a serious amount of luck to get a Citibike during peak hours in either direction.
15, tops, to get from 34th and 8th (take the Penn Station exit by the 1/2/3 train) up to 50th and 6th if you're a brisk walker. I did it every day for a year. It's faster than waiting for the 1 train, taking it up to 50th, and walking the two avenues over, which is the second-fastest way to get to Rockefeller Center from Midtown West without taking a cab.

MJP posted:

It'd end up being NJT from Union to Newark Penn, PATH from Newark Penn to Journal Square, transfer at JSQ to a 33rd bound train, BDFM to Rockefeller Center, then another long block or two to get to the office.

The walk would be from Penn to 6th Ave then 24 blocks to 48th. Not my idea of a morning workout given rain and snow. I'm getting a good workout at the Club Metro across from my office - it's got a branch in my hometown too - and while I've done the NYC commute, it was close to Penn both times.

I'm spoiled by the Jersey commute... yeah, I have to contend with the Turnpike but it's way shorter, even with normal lovely traffic. 35 minutes door-to-door beats an hour any day, also the cost of gas + wear & tear is still a savings over parking + train fare. Should something come up closer to Penn/Port Authority (but then only if it's perfect, NJ Transit buses and their departure areas could give Torquemada lessons) I'd mull it over, but the good thing about being fairly happy where you are is that it takes a lot to move you.
I just used the NJ Transit trip planner using Minimize Transfers, and during peak hours, you do Union to NJ Penn, transfer to another train to NY Penn, and it's 35-40 minutes end-to-end, plus another short walk up to Rockefeller Center (though you probably want to try to grab the subway back down during the evening rush because of foot traffic on 6th). Why are you set on transferring to the PATH? If you need to get over to Rockefeller Center on a lovely rainy/snowy day, you can overshoot to Columbus Circle on the express A train, then grab any BDFM straight down into Rockefeller Center.

Of course, if you've got a long drive to Union Station in the first place, that's another story.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Nagios sucks, but what else is out there to look at? Mostly free stuff, or something based off nagios... Someone once suggested OpsView but it looks more like a commercial product now. If its really good may be worth it.
All these shell scripts all over the place are annoying. I liked how 2 companies ago they just used SNMP and it was relatively easy to set up. One guy went with NRPE which looks like a pain in the rear end. The nagios interface and configuration file structure pretty much blows, and custom plugins everywhere you never know if it is reporting things right. One of them we had was supposed to connect to a service and it was checking for a specific string for when it was down. But it was responding with a 500 or something like that it would just say its fine. A basic HTTP check would have done a better job.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Misogynist posted:

15, tops, to get from 34th and 8th (take the Penn Station exit by the 1/2/3 train) up to 50th and 6th if you're a brisk walker. I did it every day for a year. It's faster than waiting for the 1 train, walking up to 50th, and walking the two avenues over, which is the second-fastest way to get to Rockefeller Center from Midtown West.

I just used the NJ Transit trip planner using Minimize Transfers, and during peak hours, you do Union to NJ Penn, transfer to another train to NY Penn, and it's 35-40 minutes end-to-end, plus another short walk up to Rockefeller Center (though you probably want to try to grab the subway back down during the evening rush because of foot traffic on 6th). Why are you set on transferring to the PATH? If you need to get over to Rockefeller Center on a lovely rainy/snowy day, you can overshoot to Columbus Circle on the express A train, then grab any BDFM straight down into Rockefeller Center.

Of course, if you've got a long drive to Union Station in the first place, that's another story.

You're one heck of a fast walker if you can make 25 blocks in 15 minutes. Maybe with a walk signal (or no actual traffic with a don't walk signal) and if crowds are minimal, and if you're at a near-jog, you could totally do that in 15 minutes. I used to walk up 8th to 37th and it would take me minimum five minutes briskly.

Logistically if I was to catch the BDFM, 33rd St. PATH is the best option to head right to Herald Square.

It's not a long drive to the station, fortunately, so all I'm really concerned with is the commute itself. The real issue I have with all this is that you're not relaxing in one place for long, e.g. a bus trip (no way am I even considering the bus until the NJ Transit departure areas are hugely redone or, better yet, PABT is demolished by Al Qaeda or some other helpful entity) or a non-transfer train line. It was doable when I could do my 5-minute walk from Penn but less doable when I'm facing a much longer walk/chancing Citibike or finding a secure place to lock a cheap bike with expensive lock to get around in Midtown.

Just got off a call for a senior onsite Citrix resource for Bloomberg... I definitely don't think I have the technical chops to offer architected solutions to Bloomberg and that's at least less a commute schlep, they have an E train stop right nearby.

MJP fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 6, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

JHVH-1 posted:

Nagios sucks, but what else is out there to look at? Mostly free stuff, or something based off nagios... Someone once suggested OpsView but it looks more like a commercial product now. If its really good may be worth it.
All these shell scripts all over the place are annoying. I liked how 2 companies ago they just used SNMP and it was relatively easy to set up. One guy went with NRPE which looks like a pain in the rear end. The nagios interface and configuration file structure pretty much blows, and custom plugins everywhere you never know if it is reporting things right. One of them we had was supposed to connect to a service and it was checking for a specific string for when it was down. But it was responding with a 500 or something like that it would just say its fine. A basic HTTP check would have done a better job.

Honestly everything I found that I liked wasn't free (shocker). Might be a good time to make a budget for monitoring because its honestly a very important part of the infrastructure.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

WhatsUp Gold offers a pretty good all-in-one package with additional licenses available for APM and NetFlow functionality.

Anyone here worked pre-sales? I've been trying to get into consulting (and out of direct labor), and in addition the diverse kind of work (I get bored easily), it also seems like it pays hilariously well. The only thing I'd be worried about is being siloed into one type of technology.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

JHVH-1 posted:

Well, duh, you can't be naive about what you're actually checking. Just because the thing says check_http on it doesn't mean that it somehow infers your intentions about what it is you actually want it to check. The standard check_http plugin can check both HTTP status codes and strings/regular expressions in the response by default without you needing to do anything special, but you do need to configure it correctly. Who set up this check and never tested the loving thing until it actually broke? No monitoring system is going to do due diligence simulating failures.

The configuration files can be a pain in the rear end, but they're easy enough to maintain if you programmatically generate them from your CMDB or Puppet/Chef or whatever. The templating facilities were rewritten in Nagios 3 to support multiple inheritance and unlimited custom macro variables for your checks, which means you don't really have any excuse for unreadable configuration files besides somebody's laziness.

That said, most of the interest things happening in monitoring are oriented towards the cloud, as opposed to SNMP network devices. Sensu (an agent-based service using centralized configuration and RabbitMQ as its transport) and Shinken (a highly-extensible Python rewrite of the entire core of Nagios) are probably the two most interesting Nagios-style monitoring platforms out there right now, while Riemann takes a vastly different approach. WhatsUp is probably your best bet for something to monitor arbitrary physical devices.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

I have never seen a workable SharePoint installation that had been through a version upgrade.

Ours is, what's the problem?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I like Zabbix for monitoring but mostly because I'm very familiar with it at this point, having used it for 5+ years across several jobs. I'm sure you'll come to hate it as much as any other monitoring system, just for different reasons :v:

Basically, monitoring is hard and no one has solved it with a magic bullet yet. At least, nothing free. You will always be iterating and tweaking your checks and alarms, unless your infrastructure is totally static. You have to really put thought into what you're actually trying to test for, and why, as Misogynist said.

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.
Shoes.

I just went from seven years of IT desk work to a job that occasionally, and increasingly more often, is going to have me walking around all week a few times a year. My feet are currently blistering due to the shoes I have been wearing. If I was allowed to wear tennis shoes this would not be the case, but alas I am to look more professional than that now.

What is a dressy black shoe that can be walked/stood in for hours and not destroy my feet? While lugging a laptop bag around, etc.

Or should I throw in the towel and surrender to Dr. Scholls?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Ours is, what's the problem?

Well what are you waiting for? Show it to him!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

theDOWmustflow posted:

I've heard about the Oregon State online B.S in CS but I'm wary of online courses because of the reputation of diploma mills, etc.

Pick an accredited not-for-profit college (I don't think there's any instances of a state university not being both of those things) and you should be fine as far as the legitimacy of your degree goes. Do your homework though, because some of the bad ones are sneaky bastards and name themselves things like University of Phoenix to make you think they're actually a legit school. If you get a degree online through Cal or OSU or wherever your diploma will look just like everybody else's. There's not an asterisk on there anywhere saying it's a second-class degree.

Evader posted:

What is a dressy black shoe that can be walked/stood in for hours and not destroy my feet? While lugging a laptop bag around, etc.

How dressy does it need to be? Merrell makes slide-on shoes that are really comfortable and might pass muster. Otherwise try Rockports or Clarks.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 6, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Evader posted:

Shoes.

I just went from seven years of IT desk work to a job that occasionally, and increasingly more often, is going to have me walking around all week a few times a year. My feet are currently blistering due to the shoes I have been wearing. If I was allowed to wear tennis shoes this would not be the case, but alas I am to look more professional than that now.

I've never gone wrong with Rockports when I had a hefty walking commute from the train station to the building when I worked in Chicago. Whatever you do, don't get a pair of "budget" shoes no matter how much you like their looks. Shoes are one of the few things where quality costs and is very much worth it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Not free, but we've been really happy with NewRelic for application level monitoring. They have some basic server monitoring with it as well.

We use that in combination with an internal Nagios server to raise alerts to PagerDuty for off hours escalation.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Misogynist posted:

Well, duh, you can't be naive about what you're actually checking. Just because the thing says check_http on it doesn't mean that it somehow infers your intentions about what it is you actually want it to check. The standard check_http plugin can check both HTTP status codes and strings/regular expressions in the response by default without you needing to do anything special, but you do need to configure it correctly. Who set up this check and never tested the loving thing until it actually broke? No monitoring system is going to do due diligence simulating failures.

The configuration files can be a pain in the rear end, but they're easy enough to maintain if you programmatically generate them from your CMDB or Puppet/Chef or whatever. The templating facilities were rewritten in Nagios 3 to support multiple inheritance and unlimited custom macro variables for your checks, which means you don't really have any excuse for unreadable configuration files besides somebody's laziness.

That said, most of the interest things happening in monitoring are oriented towards the cloud, as opposed to SNMP network devices. Sensu (an agent-based service using centralized configuration and RabbitMQ as its transport) and Shinken (a highly-extensible Python rewrite of the entire core of Nagios) are probably the two most interesting Nagios-style monitoring platforms out there right now, while Riemann takes a vastly different approach. WhatsUp is probably your best bet for something to monitor arbitrary physical devices.

All this stuff existing before I worked here, so my manager was just asking if we wanted to evaluate something else before we continue. We have some stuff getting done via opsworks, others are built via scripts (that may be replaced with ansible later) and then the apps get pushed via bamboo. Most of our stuff has moved off their crappy Xen server cluster which still has nagios on it. There was a presentation about some of these pieces with things like sensu and flapjack as part of a whole system. Sounds like there are some cool things, but if your environment is mixed it will be extra work. Nagios can still send to flapjack it sounds like, so it might be cool to get that working and then integrate it with cloudwatch.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Che Delilas posted:

Well, first of all, Oregon State and UCB are legitimate, accredited universities, not degree mills, and even "normal" students take online courses as part of their degree ALL THE TIME. People get post-bac education ALL THE TIME. We don't live in a world where you graduate from high school, go to college for exactly four years, get a job at a company and stay there until you retire with a pension anymore.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be snobbish about schools and degrees. I assumed that applying to grad schools was similar to applying to health professional schools, which heavily discriminate against online classes.

quote:

But before you go through all that, let me tell you this. You don't need a master's degree to be a software engineer. You don't even need a bachelor's degree. Oh sure, a bachelor's can help get you those first couple jobs, but after that your experience is going to carry so much more weight that your education will barely be a footnote. A master's degree will help you later in your career, when you want to get into the more specialized fields, but I would really recommend against getting one for anyone just looking to break into the industry

For me, the primary issues are learning the material and getting the foot in the door. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't getting the foot in the door the harder part of the hiring equation, if the process is anything like consulting or finance recruitment? I've never heard of anyone making first year analyst for Deutsche or JPMorgan by shooting a resume to HR after graduating.

Since I don't have a CS background, it looks like the best option to "rebrand" myself for a career-change is a master's. I've been told that if you have a CS bachelor's degree, anything short of a a CS Phd is a waste of time for career advancement (a CS master's on top of a CS BS is seen as equivalent to an entry level CS employee with 1 or 2 extra years of experience), but the master's could be useful for people like me with no formal education in CS and no work experience.

quote:

Also, why software engineering? Is it one of your hobbies? Do you enjoy it? Or is it just that you want to work at Google because you've heard they're awesome? If the latter, holy poo poo do not force yourself through a master's program in this field, because if you don't enjoy it at least somewhat Google will probably clue in to that fact and not want to hire you anyway.

There are a lot of reasons. I've come to appreciate the creative capacity of software engineering more and more. I'm biased towards software probably because I'm living with mostly software engineers at the moment and it's amazing to see them write code and create value out of thin air. My housemates are currently guiding me through http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html and python as a primer language, and I'm enjoying the process. I'm pretty good at academics and I'm having fun applying that skill set to learning CS, solving interesting problems using code, and keeping up with software innovation and technology.

I won't deny taking into account market demand. I want to acquire relevant marketable skills with better opportunities for advancement. It doesn't hurt that software is the hottest field at the moment. The work culture and lifestyle of top tech companies is unparalleled relative to the Big Fours of any other industry (consulting, accounting, finance, law, aerospace engineering, etc.). But more importantly, it's seeing the writing on the wall. Software development is THE transformative field "eating the world" for the next several decades at least, for good or worse. There are so many verticals, processes, and types of labor that haven't even been touched yet and that poo poo is inevitable. Demand for CS competent employees is going to remain strong, to the extent that I honestly think that programming will be taught in primary school within our lifetime.

Also, the paleo cafeteria at Google was pretty dope.

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 6, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bostonian Flexlite shoes look moderately dressy but are light and comfortable. Not great for durability though, and for some reason they're slippery as gently caress when it's wet. Not so much of an issue if you're mostly indoors, they basically feel like slippers.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

flosofl posted:

I've never gone wrong with Rockports when I had a hefty walking commute from the train station to the building when I worked in Chicago. Whatever you do, don't get a pair of "budget" shoes no matter how much you like their looks. Shoes are one of the few things where quality costs and is very much worth it.

In addition to paying for good quality shoes, make sure the drat things fit. Every shoemaker has different lasts and every shoe fits your foot differently. If you're in a pair of dress shoes and they are too tight, or too loose you're going to be in pain. If you need a wide shoe, buy a wide shoe. I *thought* I wore a size 11 for the longest time when I was younger, turns out a 10W works best for me. If your getting blisters, your shoes don't fit properly.

This is a decent article about mens dress shoes. http://dealnews.com/features/How-to-Find-Mens-Dress-Shoes-That-Will-Last-for-Decades/1128295.html

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Evader posted:

Shoes.

Deer Stags and their sub-brands are very comfortable. You can get better prices on Amazon but get measured at your shoe store.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Evader posted:

Shoes.

Seconding Rockports. Back when I was doing retail IT/Sales I was on my feet all day, and I never got tired or sore with them.

If you can, find a non-commercial shoe store in your area and talk to them. They are harder to find now a days, but usually they have people that have been selling shoes for decades in them and they know shoes.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Evader posted:

Shoes.

I have weird feet that need a stiff arch, so maybe my case is different but when I started my last job I wanted to class my dress up a bit. I ended up getting a couple pair of Clarks. You can get ones that are nice enough to wear as business casual but also look good with a pair of jeans. I liked them so much I ended up wearing them all the time so after 2 years the sole started to wear out. There are ones that are higher ankle coverage, more like boots which I found was better for me cause I would get a lot of wear on my heels and get blisters there.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

JHVH-1 posted:

All this stuff existing before I worked here, so my manager was just asking if we wanted to evaluate something else before we continue. We have some stuff getting done via opsworks, others are built via scripts (that may be replaced with ansible later) and then the apps get pushed via bamboo. Most of our stuff has moved off their crappy Xen server cluster which still has nagios on it. There was a presentation about some of these pieces with things like sensu and flapjack as part of a whole system. Sounds like there are some cool things, but if your environment is mixed it will be extra work. Nagios can still send to flapjack it sounds like, so it might be cool to get that working and then integrate it with cloudwatch.
If you're using something that already allows you a great deal of flexibility in figuring out where your notifications go -- IMO, Nagios fits that bill -- I'd recommend avoiding Flapjack. It's really poorly-documented, all new development is happening on a wildly-divergent 2.0 codebase (with a new primary developer and admittedly much better code), and if Nagios drives you insane with idiosyncratic behavior Flapjack will drive you to suicide. It's great at plugging holes in other less-flexible monitoring systems like Sensu. If you have a lot of stuff happening in Cloudwatch, maybe it'll be worth the trouble for you. We've seen lots of really nasty bugs. We're fixing them as we find them, and adding features as we go, so maybe it will be in a better state once you get around to actually implementing it.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 6, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Aunt Beth posted:

I work on hardware, so I don't have a tremendous amount of knowledge on the OS side of iSeries, but yes, I have. I think it's a really underappreciated system for a lot of reasons. Why do you ask?

I've spoken to two senior IBM i admins (or so they say) who insist executing PWRDWNSYS(*IMMED) is an acceptable way to end sub-systems (and jobs with-in) this however does so immediately without warning. Unless I am wildly missing something it's no different than bringing up Task Manager and ending a process non-gracefully or kill -9.

I've brought this up but they've told me that often the system will get hung on some sort of internal job such as a user still being logged in or a print job running and trying to figure out what's holding down the OS isn't practical and *IMMED is appropriate. I'm not knowledgeable enough when it comes to user and job interaction but is IBM i just that fundamentally different than other operating systems or am I being sold a bridge?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

I've spoken to two senior IBM i admins (or so they say) who insist executing PWRDWNSYS(*IMMED) is an acceptable way to end sub-systems (and jobs with-in) this however does so immediately without warning. Unless I am wildly missing something it's no different than bringing up Task Manager and ending a process non-gracefully or kill -9.

I've brought this up but they've told me that often the system will get hung on some sort of internal job such as a user still being logged in or a print job running and trying to figure out what's holding down the OS isn't practical and *IMMED is appropriate. I'm not knowledgeable enough when it comes to user and job interaction but is IBM i just that fundamentally different than other operating systems or am I being sold a bridge?
Sometimes I think the reason these systems are built to be so resilient is because the people who have been administering them for the past twenty-five years have their own knowledge held together with duct tape and staples.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Evader posted:

Shoes.

I've been wearing a pair of Doc Marten's for over a year now and they're both nice looking and comfortable as hell, but I've got mutant club feet that don't fit in normal shoes so ymmv.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Misogynist posted:

If you're using something that already allows you a great deal of flexibility in figuring out where your notifications go -- IMO, Nagios fits that bill -- I'd recommend avoiding Flapjack. It's really poorly-documented, all new development is happening on a wildly-divergent 2.0 codebase (with a new primary developer and admittedly much better code), and if Nagios drives you insane with idiosyncratic behavior Flapjack will drive you to suicide. It's great at plugging holes in other less-flexible monitoring systems like Sensu. If you have a lot of stuff happening in Cloudwatch, maybe it'll be worth the trouble for you. We've seen lots of really nasty bugs. We're fixing them as we find them, and adding features as we go, so maybe it will be in a better state once you get around to actually implementing it.

Anything that requires something like RabbitMQ starts to scare me off. We put nagios alerts through to pager duty. I guess it works fine, and nobody has had the time to do anything with it. Would be nice to have some kind of clustering. So maybe just one of the nagios extensions/forks with a better GUI would be more fitting.

Manager went on extended vacation and just got back, and all our developers are in Russia/Ukraine so they have been hounding us pushing things out right before their own holiday, while we are trying to enjoy our holiday. So all these projects I should be working on keep taking a back seat. We have projects line up to simplify the environments to give us more control but the current stuff is weighing us down so we don't get to work on it... ah the never-ending catch 22 of working for a small company.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

theDOWmustflow posted:

Hey, I'm a STEM non-CS/Engineering graduate now interested in pursuing software engineering as a career path.

There's a thread in the programming forum just for that http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376083

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

JHVH-1 posted:

So maybe just one of the nagios extensions/forks with a better GUI would be more fitting.

Icinga?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

psydude posted:

Anyone here worked pre-sales? I've been trying to get into consulting (and out of direct labor), and in addition the diverse kind of work (I get bored easily), it also seems like it pays hilariously well. The only thing I'd be worried about is being siloed into one type of technology.

I'm in pre-sales and got into it for mostly the same reasons. It's going to depend on the position, but if you go to a VAR with a good sized line card being soloed shouldn't be a concern. My current portfolio includes UCS, Commvault, Veeam, Zerto, Nimble, Pure, Netapp, Tintri, pretty much everything VMware, and we're constantly evaluating new partners. I'll never be an expert in all of those things, but I can pick a few to focus on and still maintain a working knowledge of the rest.

It's been very rewarding so far, though there is a lot of politics involved in working with vendors that can be a little tiresome.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Thats the other one I was looking at at my last job. I totally blanked on it. Thanks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

JHVH-1 posted:

Thats the other one I was looking at at my last job. I totally blanked on it. Thanks.
The improvements to the historical Nagios interface (the CGI one) are worth it, but the new WebUI is clunky and not worth the time to install unless you need the API features for the mobile apps.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

NippleFloss posted:

I'm in pre-sales and got into it for mostly the same reasons. It's going to depend on the position, but if you go to a VAR with a good sized line card being soloed shouldn't be a concern. My current portfolio includes UCS, Commvault, Veeam, Zerto, Nimble, Pure, Netapp, Tintri, pretty much everything VMware, and we're constantly evaluating new partners. I'll never be an expert in all of those things, but I can pick a few to focus on and still maintain a working knowledge of the rest.

It's been very rewarding so far, though there is a lot of politics involved in working with vendors that can be a little tiresome.

I'm currently breaking into presales. Well sorta anyway. Company is starting new position that is a bridge between Sales Engineer and the actual support team. I work as basically a lead tech to work with the customer teams to move/implement their stuff and then finally hand them off to support. Lots of documenting solutions so they can then be sold as a regular supported infrastructure.

Feels good since I don't lose my tech stuff but get to break into sales for when I'm ready for that eventual move.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Aunt Beth posted:

Depending on what type of machine it is and its current configuration, you should spin up a test lpar alongside your prod. Ain't nobody got time to learn Oracle on a production system.

Not really comfortable doing this on a live system unless it was really needed :aaa: I think I found a site to help me with things http://aix4admins.blogspot.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

There is some truth in the greybeards' statements, though IMMED is not an option to use lightly. Obviously the right way to shut down a 400 is to gracefully end jobs and subsystems, either with ENDSBS or with PWRDWNSYS parameters. But it is true, especially with print jobs (because gently caress printers) that the system will hang trying to end some job or subsystem and IMMED will just take care of that. Luckily there are so many failsafes built into IBMi that usually the worst I've seen happen from an unclean shutdown is a much slower than usual IPL as the system recovers journals and checks databases.

Danith posted:

Not really comfortable doing this on a live system unless it was really needed :aaa: I think I found a site to help me with things http://aix4admins.blogspot.com/
But that's the point of lpars! It doesn't affect production because it's basically a whole separate system. And also, I swear I'm not schilling my own company's products, but if you don't have your IBM hardware and software on IBM maintenance, you're missing out. If your company pays for it, IBM's software support will help you competently work through any configuration issues that you have a hard time figuring out.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 7, 2015