Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

hobbesmaster posted:

Are the USAF's other PT6A/B/C powered aircraft also contractor maintained? Its a very common engine and already used in a lot of US military aircraft.

It's about more than just the engine. All that stuff I laid out (tools, training, tech data, depot pipeline, supply chain) aren't magically the same just because you have an aircraft with the same engine in the inventory. So even if they have the same engine you're still talking about spending more money beyond the cost of the physical iron to add an additional weapons system to the inventory.

But yes "all" of the USAF's PT6 powered aircraft are contractor maintained...but as has been pointed out it's really not that many: just the T-6s and the various flavors of King Airs that we fly (although that's not too many any more since we gave/are giving the MC-12s to the Army), also the U-28s. The mx on T-6s isn't that expensive (it's actually cost-effective to contract out mx on trainers, which is why we've done it universally) but that's because they don't have to deploy...ever. Once you start talking about sending contractors somewhere where they can get shot at their rates tend to go up. Also combat aircraft tend to have a whole bunch of avionics related systems on them (targeting pods/balls, other -INT packages, etc) that trainers don't. The skill-set required to maintain these systems is going to drive higher salaries compared to your average metal benders...something else that drives up the cost of the contract mx.

The U-28 and MC-12 were two of the platforms I had in mind when I said that contracting out mx on combat aircraft hasn't been cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Seems to me that if someone had just told the Marines to shut the gently caress up the F-35 would be on the way to becoming a great plane, basically a 21st century F-16.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Wheeee posted:

Seems to me that if someone had just told the Marines to shut the gently caress up[...] the F-35 would be on the way to becoming a great plane, basically a 21st century F-16.

Should be the subtitle of the "Tragedy of the American Military" Thread

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
The marines suck!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Wheeee posted:

Seems to me that if someone had just told the Marines to shut the gently caress up the F-35 would be on the way to becoming a great plane, basically a 21st century F-16.

Build a harrier 3 for the marines (which can't do anything much like the current harrier, and therefore can be cheap), let everyone else have real planes :haw:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

blowfish posted:

Build a harrier 3 for the marines (which can't do anything much like the current harrier, and therefore can be cheap), let everyone else have real planes :haw:

Harrier 3 - an osprey with some spray paint. Toss bombs out the loading ramp.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Harrier 3 - an osprey with some spray paint. Toss bombs out the loading ramp.

The only thing making Harriers less deadly to Marines than Ospreys is the ability for Ospreys to carry passengers. Harriers might as well have been designed by the enemy. I'd find hard info on this, but the Marines make it way harder to find this info with a simple google search than US the Air Force, which makes it all readily available for their aircraft.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mlmp08 posted:

The only thing making Harriers less deadly to Marines than Ospreys is the ability for Ospreys to carry passengers. Harriers might as well have been designed by the enemy. I'd find hard info on this, but the Marines make it way harder to find this info with a simple google search than US the Air Force, which makes it all readily available for their aircraft.

Yeah it's an open fact that STOVL jet aircraft have a mishap rate insanely high compared to normal jet aircraft that takeoff and land like god intended...although I'm not surprised that the USMC is hiding their mishaps stats.

Couple relevant cross-posts from the TFR Airpower thread:

iyaayas01 posted:

There's a joke someone (I think Bill Sweetman) made about how the STOVL fad in Western Europe in the middle to late Cold War was just a massive Soviet plot to cripple NATO air forces, it was the only explanation that made sense.

iyaayas01 posted:

USMC Aviation: the toddler of the US military.

I mean, it's not like USMC Aviation has a history of rushing immature programs into service by flying them in an operational fashion prior to IOC, prematurely declaring IOC, and then getting people killed unnecessarily just so a bunch of generals could brief Congress that the slides were green and everything was on-track, pay no attention to that aircraft that crashed into the Potomac or all those flag-draped coffins.

Red Crown posted:

Hey, at least the F-35B will only kill one person at a time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah it's an open fact that STOVL jet aircraft have a mishap rate insanely high compared to normal jet aircraft that takeoff and land like god intended...although I'm not surprised that the USMC is hiding their mishaps stats.

Couple relevant cross-posts from the TFR Airpower thread:

It's hilarious how the Harrier was a turkey of the aircraft but the marines still clamored for a next gen version of the original bad concept.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

etalian posted:

It's hilarious how the Harrier was a turkey of the aircraft but the marines still clamored for a next gen version of the original bad concept.

"Hey Congress, we have this plane that crashes all the time and really can't do anything well, but we want to make it super capable so please give us money to upgrade its radar and strap a bunch of other cool avionics to it, so that way when it inevitably crashes (since it has the same basic powerplant as the current plane that crashes all the time) we can waste even more money!! Thanks!!!!"

- USMC Aviation c. late '70s/early '80s

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

etalian posted:

Someone post a link to usmc.txt where the perfectly fine wheel up-landing of a Harrier got ruined by some higher up who didn't want to explain why the nose paint got scratched and... had mattresses put on the runway... which completely unexpectedly got ingested by the engines and ruined them (the pilot was like "hey you're crazy, this will never work ... sir yes sir, i'll ruin the plane if you insist")

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 5, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't have the .txt but here's a jpg instead:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Here's the sequence leading to the jpg:

That said, they perfected the idea and managed to land on a stool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9tvdjDAr1U

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Disinterested posted:

Yeah. I guess at this point trying to claim what you're going to do when the 'machines are gonna fail' is a fairly inapplicable argument to most of modern warfare that doesn't involve an infantryman and his rifle. And even then...

As an ex grunt, most stuff that is on the ground can still operate without computers on an individual level, but at reduced capacity. Coordination without computers gets more iffy.
And I would assume that most armies train for such occassions, intensively.

I accept that this is different for planes though.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Mightypeon posted:

As an ex grunt, most stuff that is on the ground can still operate without computers on an individual level, but at reduced capacity. Coordination without computers gets more iffy.

Life is a whole lot different as an artillerist without a computer, that's for sure.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mightypeon posted:

Artillerymen are not grunts

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

mobby_6kl posted:

Don't have the .txt but here's a jpg instead:

Here's the quick word:

quote:

This comes under the heading "truth is sometimes stranger than fiction".

That is a TAV-8B assigned to VMAT-203 in Cherry Point. They experienced hung landing gear (repeat gripe on that jet) and contacted base for troubleshooting. The EP involves cycling some circuit breakers, cycling the gear, and requesting visual inspection. If none of that works (which it didn't), you blow down the gear.

At some point, the squadron let the MAG CO what was going on (for what reason, I have no idea). He was worried that if they blew the gear down and the nose gear still hung up, it would crack the frame of one of the scarce T-birds. He directed that the pilot do a gear up vertical landing. It would crush the strakes and probably FOD the motor, but it's better than cracking the frame. He directed the mattresses to be placed under the nose.

When the pilot heard about all of this, he refused to do it unless he heard it directly from the MAG CO. The MAG CO got on the radio and told him to do it. The landing was pretty unremarkable, despite the photos. The damage was limited to the engine (Fodded), and the strakes (crushed). Expensive, but not the end of the world. When they jacked it up, they we able to blow the gear down with no problems.

This is when the story gets even weirder. Once the jet was in the hangar, relatively undamaged, an EZ-go golf cart came flying into the hangar and smashed into the jet, causing some D-level repair damage.

It turns out that LCpl. Schmuckatelli was huffing keyboard cleaner before making his parts run in the EZ-go. He got really dizzy, lost consiousness, and the cart went out of control. It drove directly into the hangar at full speed through a gap in the hangar doors and smashed the jet. Like I said, the truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. You couldn't make up something that bizarre.

http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/wheels-up-harrier-landing.21127/page-2

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I really do wonder why they are going ahead with the B version, and I'm tangentially touched by the matter since I live in Italy, which is about to buy the B version for its terrible aircraft carrier(s). Anyway, I remembered reading a good article a bunch of years ago on the Harrier and why it was an unsafe and unneeded plane: http://www.pulitzer.org/archives/6722
It's a good read and won a Pulitzer in 2003. The F35 is still referred in it still as "Joint Strike Fighter". I suppose that most of the criticism that was reasonable 12 years ago, is even more reasonable now, except that the F35 should be less easy to track with infrared than a Harrier.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Translation thing?
Our equivalent of "grunt", "Frontsoldat" (which would perhaps be more akin to "front line") did encompass tube Artillery, mechanized Infantry and Tankers (everyone who regularly shoots at other ground targets, gets shot at a lot and is not some kind of "special elitist prick with delusions of mattering"). Mind you, our (Artillery) slang for tankists would be translated into "Soft targets" and our colloquial term for mechanized infantry was "even softer targets". IIRC German Tank Grenadiers refer to German Artillery as "The only thing we are worried about because we cant shoot back and claim it was friendly fire".
I am not that familiar with US military slang. Could have sworn the the US artillery guys we trained with refered to themselfs as "Artillery grunts" btw, mind you, thats 10 years ago now.

And yeah, live without a computer is less easy but possible. And you dont exactly keep shooting 10 rounds per minute from a howitzer without one. But you can still gently caress up other people.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I like to think that the USMC brass were sold on the power of VTOL and demanded a new Harrier because of True Lies.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Kaal posted:

Here's the quick word:

LOL.

Mind you, if this was in Russia, the Golf Cart would have crashed into some fuel, which would not immidiatly explode because fuel actually doenst work that way, but then some frantic attempt to fix/cover up things would result in some cataclysmic explosion.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mightypeon posted:

Translation thing?
Our equivalent of "grunt", "Frontsoldat" (which would perhaps be more akin to "front line") did encompass tube Artillery, mechanized Infantry and Tankers (everyone who regularly shoots at other ground targets, gets shot at a lot and is not some kind of "special elitist prick with delusions of mattering"). Mind you, our (Artillery) slang for tankists would be translated into "Soft targets" and our colloquial term for mechanized infantry was "even softer targets". IIRC German Tank Grenadiers refer to German Artillery as "The only thing we are worried about because we cant shoot back and claim it was friendly fire".
I am not that familiar with US military slang. Could have sworn the the US artillery guys we trained with refered to themselfs as "Artillery grunts" btw, mind you, thats 10 years ago now.

And yeah, live without a computer is less easy but possible. And you dont exactly keep shooting 10 rounds per minute from a howitzer without one. But you can still gently caress up other people.

Grunt is slang for infantry

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Jarmak posted:

Thanks.
Does this include infantry who are stationed in the rear "Etappenhengste" ("Rear Area Stallion", i think your slang term is "rear echelon motherfucker")?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Jarmak posted:

Grunt is slang for soldier, but infantry think that they are the only soldiers worth talking about. :eng101:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Grunt is any sort of infantry. It sometimes extend to low-wage, unskilled workers outside of military context.

Grunt is named after a guttural noise. Infantry, etymologically, means "unable to speak". The common trend here is that they are supposed to shut up and follow orders.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mightypeon posted:

Thanks.
Does this include infantry who are stationed in the rear "Etappenhengste" ("Rear Area Stallion", i think your slang term is "rear echelon motherfucker")?

Yes but they will have to deal with other infantry telling them it doesn't as a form of insult (basically saying they're "not real infantry").

In the American army the term "POG" or "Pogue" (person other than grunt) is used in a derogatory manner toward non-infantry types (though the term is generally not applied to non-infantry types who also go out and share fire, unless they shirk from it). The term is generally only particularly offensive if used to refer to someone who is actually an infantryman or someone who does something equally dangerous. The rear echelon guys would probably be called that and "Fobbit", which is an amalgam of FOB (forward operating base) and Hobbit (exactly what you think) and refers to people who never leave the safety of the base.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

Grunt is any sort of infantry. It sometimes extend to low-wage, unskilled workers outside of military context.

Grunt is named after a guttural noise. Infantry, etymologically, means "unable to speak". The common trend here is that they are supposed to shut up and follow orders.

Also shutup and just deal with suffering without complaint

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Here's the sequence leading to the jpg:

That said, they perfected the idea and managed to land on a stool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9tvdjDAr1U

lol

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Cheap planes are simple planes. Simple planes are not simple to use, because all the complexity of flight has to be handled by the pilots directly, instead of being handled by the avionics. On a modern fighter plane, the pilot does not control directly the ailerons, elevons, canards, rudders, spoilers, spoilerons, stabilators, decelerons, air brakes, and whatever other moving surface there might be. That's all handled by the flight computer. Pilot merely tells the plane to pitch up or roll left and the computer will handle all the moving parts accordingly. The A-10 isn't fly-by-wire, though.

It's the difference between playing QWOP and playing a normal game. QWOP was a game that was cheap and simple to program, so obviously it's easier to train someone to play QWOP proficiently than it is to train someone to play the latest Modern Warfare, right? Modern Warfare is so much more expensive to develop, and it has so many more features... (I'd really like to see QWOP's take on the "Pay respect" scene.)

For all its flaws, the F-35 will be a simpler, easier plane to fly than the A-10. That's not in question.
I want to go back a little ways to address this, because it’s super wrong. Saying that the F-35 will be easier to fly than the A-10 because it has FBW is like saying a 2014 Porsche GT3 is easier to drive than a 2003 Hilux because the Porsche has an automatic transmission and the Toyota has a manual. Let’s get the obvious out of the way and realize that stick-and-rudder flying is not exactly voodoo magic. Tens of thousands of people learn every year, including every single military pilot in their first year. FBW doesn’t magically remove the requirement to control the aircraft either; the F-16 still has rudder pedals after all. Really it just reduces the need to trim and lets a human control relaxed stability airframes without consuming their entire attention. Most modern aircraft designs are relatively untaxing to simply fly; non-experimental aircraft becoming uncontrollable due to pilot inputs is so rare these days that it’s newsworthy. The A-10 has all the hallmarks of an easily flyable design as well, with long, straight wings, large ailerons, and centerline thrust. I’ve never personally flown one, but I’m certain it has more benign approach and landing characteristics than, say, an F-16. I also imagine throttle and center-of-gravity management is easier than on a B-52 or -135.

As planes have become easier to fly, more and more of the crew’s attention is spent on systems and mission management. The F-35 is probably going to be a bastard in that regard. Already an F-16 pilot has to be able to navigate hundreds of MFD pages, display settings, radar modes (not a problem for A-10 pilots) and emitter settings, in both air-to-air and air-to-ground modes. The F-35 may strive for better human interface, but the sheer number and complexity of systems, and multiple missions, are going to drive a huge array of demands on the pilot’s knowledge and attention. I don’t think you can really say one is “easier” than the other, because that’s going to be driven by the mission and the external demands placed on the pilot more than by the airframe.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

I want to go back a little ways to address this, because it’s super wrong. Saying that the F-35 will be easier to fly than the A-10 because it has FBW is like saying a 2014 Porsche GT3 is easier to drive than a 2003 Hilux because the Porsche has an automatic transmission and the Toyota has a manual. Let’s get the obvious out of the way and realize that stick-and-rudder flying is not exactly voodoo magic. Tens of thousands of people learn every year, including every single military pilot in their first year. FBW doesn’t magically remove the requirement to control the aircraft either; the F-16 still has rudder pedals after all. Really it just reduces the need to trim and lets a human control relaxed stability airframes without consuming their entire attention. Most modern aircraft designs are relatively untaxing to simply fly; non-experimental aircraft becoming uncontrollable due to pilot inputs is so rare these days that it’s newsworthy. The A-10 has all the hallmarks of an easily flyable design as well, with long, straight wings, large ailerons, and centerline thrust. I’ve never personally flown one, but I’m certain it has more benign approach and landing characteristics than, say, an F-16. I also imagine throttle and center-of-gravity management is easier than on a B-52 or -135.

As planes have become easier to fly, more and more of the crew’s attention is spent on systems and mission management. The F-35 is probably going to be a bastard in that regard. Already an F-16 pilot has to be able to navigate hundreds of MFD pages, display settings, radar modes (not a problem for A-10 pilots) and emitter settings, in both air-to-air and air-to-ground modes. The F-35 may strive for better human interface, but the sheer number and complexity of systems, and multiple missions, are going to drive a huge array of demands on the pilot’s knowledge and attention. I don’t think you can really say one is “easier” than the other, because that’s going to be driven by the mission and the external demands placed on the pilot more than by the airframe.

This was basically what I was guessing. Thanks for putting it way more eloquently and detailed then I could.
Could you explain the term "MFD page"?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Multifunction displays. Aircraft electronic UIs are a clusterfuck that lack the elegance of their predecessors when it comes to displaying or inputting information. They make windows 8 look good. They tend to distract the pilot who effectively has to stop flying the plane and cause a lot of accidents when even mildly misused.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
A buddy of mine worked at the base where the Harrier did the mattress thing. He was working in Hazmat at the time, but ended up driving over to watch the hilarity ensue.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

oohhboy posted:

Multifunction displays. Aircraft electronic UIs are a clusterfuck that lack the elegance of their predecessors when it comes to displaying or inputting information. They make windows 8 look good. They tend to distract the pilot who effectively has to stop flying the plane and cause a lot of accidents when even mildly misused.

Thanks!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mightypeon posted:

This was basically what I was guessing. Thanks for putting it way more eloquently and detailed then I could. Could you explain the term "MFD page"?
I don't know why you think I'm agreeing with you, if anything your idea that the A-10 and A-10 pilots are cheaper and more easily replaceable was even dumber.

The "pages" refer to the different displays of data a MFD can switch between.

oohhboy posted:

There isn't an elegant way to display all the information a modern pilots needs, especially in a combat aircraft. MFDs are a good compromise, and they don't cause crashes unless the pilot is incapable of multitasking.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Cat Mattress posted:

It's a Vietnam thing, it meant "Ground Ready Units, Not Trained", something to do with speeding soldiers through training to send them to Vietnam without preparation.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

My Q-Face posted:

It's a Vietnam thing, it meant "Ground Ready Units, Not Trained", something to do with speeding soldiers through training to send them to Vietnam without preparation.

Grunt as referring to military soldiers does indeed backdate to the Vietnam war, but the word has been used to refer to low-level, low-skill workers since around 1900. My guess is that is that you've got a backronym there.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Flying a plane is easy, relatively. Anyone who has been on a Cessna knows that it's a matter of a few days to learn to fly, at a very amateurish level. From there on, complexity only increases, and while I could theorically start a Cessna and fly away (landing would be a problem as I've never done that), I can't even imagine how complicated must be to even taxi a plane that takes off at a higher speed than the maximum speed of the aforementioned Cessna.

Anyway, being a pacifist, I can't but thank Lockheed Martin for their effort to stop arming the western militaries.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dead Reckoning posted:

There isn't an elegant way to display all the information a modern pilots needs, especially in a combat aircraft. MFDs are a good compromise, and they don't cause crashes unless the pilot is incapable of multitasking.

No such thing as multitasking when you dealing with conscious information. You can slice your attention between tasks quickly but multitasking doesn't exist, its an illusion. When you practice a task alot you can transition really quickly like when you moving and shooting in an FPS, you will have decided where you are going before you focus on shooting. Or shooting akimbo and why accuracy drops so much even if you are ambidextrous, its because each gun are different tasks you have to switch between.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

oohhboy posted:

No such thing as multitasking when you dealing with conscious information. You can slice your attention between tasks quickly but multitasking doesn't exist, its an illusion. When you practice a task alot you can transition really quickly like when you moving and shooting in an FPS, you will have decided where you are going before you focus on shooting. Or shooting akimbo and why accuracy drops so much even if you are ambidextrous, its because each gun are different tasks you have to switch between.

That's a very pedantic way of saying something we know. Pilots maintain a "scan" where they constantly scan between things including, but not limited to: looking outside the cockpit, keeping an eye on basic flight characteristics, checking dials that display key maintenance info, and using the systems bolted onto the plane to complete whatever mission they're assigned. When it is not possible to accomplish the mission while maintaining a safe level of scan, they add crew members to platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

oohhboy posted:

Are you serious with this poo poo? He's talking about the skill of getting multiple tasks done simultaneously, not literally the threadcount of your brain.

• Locked thread