Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Arcsech posted:

its trade dress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_dress

i think apple used the same thing against samsung but idk for sure. anyway it was a case of customs thinking it violates their trade dress and if fluke had said "naw its cool" they would have lost intellectual property rights over it, which would have resulted in "fruke 117"s in identical looking cases being a-ok

or something, like that idk

yeah this is pretty much exactly it. some pencil-dick at customs noticed that fluke has a trademark on yellow multimeters and told fluke about it, and a lack of defense on their part demonstrates that they don't care about genericization and would make winning a legal case against any ripoff they DO care about in the future basically impossible.

it's the same reason disney sues people who advertise that they'll dress up as "princess jasmine" or "ariel the mermaid" for kid birthday parties. contrary to popular belief, they don't like stomping all over little kids' happiness, they are just required to act whenever they find out about a case of infringement in order to hang on to the rights

hobbesmaster posted:

the cases were red though which is what was ridiculous about it

nah they were yellow. sparkfun switched to red after that incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

nah they were yellow. sparkfun switched to red after that incident.

they put up a blog post too iirc where they played the hurt victim and tried to shame/guilt fluke for you know, trying to enforce their poo poo. Fluke ended up sending them some real ones though.

I've got a 8 year old 87 III, it owns bones. i don't remember what the 87 v adds over it (just a TC input I think)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1428

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

not at this distance your honor

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I have the original Fluke 17B, the word on the street is it was a legit Fluke, just a special version for Asian markets.

A year later I bought an Agilent U1272B, a far better instrument. Also bought a full set of probe tips (super fine SMD probes, SMD clips, small insulated alligator clips) and the "leather" carry case. Unfortunately I had to buy my large alligator clips from Fluke, a set of huge clips is great for clipping onto N connector barrels or other large bits of chassis for grounding. Also used the same set of batteries from 2011 up to a few months ago (lithium AAAs are great).

I checked the DC accuracy of the 17B a little while ago with my home made 5.0000V (+-100µV or so on a calibrated 289) reference and it measured 5.04V whereas the Agilent had 4.999 to 5.000. I guess that's ok for most uses, but not great for precision circuitry.

I have a $100 instrument I bought around the same time as the Fluke and that's smaller, came with better probes and had the same features + True RMS, haven't checked the accuracy. Only upside for the Fluke over that is that it runs on AAs instead of 9V batteries.

Anyway you should all get the Keysight U1272B or better instead of Flukes, I don't care for the Fluke 289, it's slow to power up and the menu system involves a lot of navigation to get to common modes.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

longview posted:

I have the original Fluke 17B, the word on the street is it was a legit Fluke, just a special version for Asian markets.

A year later I bought an Agilent U1272B, a far better instrument. Also bought a full set of probe tips (super fine SMD probes, SMD clips, small insulated alligator clips) and the "leather" carry case. Unfortunately I had to buy my large alligator clips from Fluke, a set of huge clips is great for clipping onto N connector barrels or other large bits of chassis for grounding. Also used the same set of batteries from 2011 up to a few months ago (lithium AAAs are great).

I checked the DC accuracy of the 17B a little while ago with my home made 5.0000V (+-100µV or so on a calibrated 289) reference and it measured 5.04V whereas the Agilent had 4.999 to 5.000. I guess that's ok for most uses, but not great for precision circuitry.

I have a $100 instrument I bought around the same time as the Fluke and that's smaller, came with better probes and had the same features + True RMS, haven't checked the accuracy. Only upside for the Fluke over that is that it runs on AAs instead of 9V batteries.

Anyway you should all get the Keysight U1272B or better instead of Flukes, I don't care for the Fluke 289, it's slow to power up and the menu system involves a lot of navigation to get to common modes.

the 17b indeed a legit fluke but it is really rather poo poo, which is why they only sell it overseas

the proper competition isn't the 17b or the 289, it's the 87-V. anyway you should probably buy the fluke 179, which will do everything you need to a good precision and is $100 cheaper than either the 87-V or the mentioned HP Agilent Keysight

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the $12 ebay "fluke" listing got closed and the seller banned. tons of people on other forums who were all "yeah it's probably a scam, but a $12 fluke? i'd be a fool not to buy 20 of them!" are suddenly wondering if they'll get their money back

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Sweevo posted:

the $12 ebay "fluke" listing got closed and the seller banned. tons of people on other forums who were all "yeah it's probably a scam, but a $12 fluke? i'd be a fool not to buy 20 of them!" are suddenly wondering if they'll get their money back

ebay and paypal have strong guarantees

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Arcsech posted:

the 17b indeed a legit fluke but it is really rather poo poo, which is why they only sell it overseas

the proper competition isn't the 17b or the 289, it's the 87-V. anyway you should probably buy the fluke 179, which will do everything you need to a good precision and is $100 cheaper than either the 87-V or the mentioned HP Agilent Keysight

I routinely use the 87V at work, it's a solid meter but it's pretty simple, the 179 is a very solid meter that I sometimes use too, it seems to do most of the useful things a 87V does to the point that I don't really see the point of a 87V for general lab use.

I still recommend the U1272B since it's a better instrument for your money than a 289 or a 87V while offering some potentially quite useful features the 179 and 87V don't have

all the real flukes have super nice mode selection knobs though, the keysight version feels super cheap compared to it

movax
Aug 30, 2008

longview posted:

this thread reminded me i don't know that much about fluke's lineup of dmms (i've just always used the 87 iii since i was a wee intern), and that higher model #s don't mean better

the 287 and 289 seemed 'better' than the 87, but i got the vibe that they were clunkier to use menu-wise -- the 87 you just clunk the knob to whatever and probe things like 1 second afterward; thanks for confirming that vibe

the 179 seems ok, but it looks like the 87 v retails for like $350, which for something that has a lifetime warranty and will last at least a decade, if not more, is a loving steal

basically, this thread should go get $350 and buy a 87 v

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
stopped by Fry's and picked up an Intel Edison Arduino Kit, it's basically an Arduino but with two 32-bit x86 cores running at hundreds of MHz with gigabytes of RAM and flash and WiFi and Bluetooth instead of an 8-bit microcosm trooper with kilobytes of RAM and flash and a straw to the rest of the world

downside: running Yocto Linux (or any Linux) on an embedded system

wonder how hard it'd be to boot Darwin on it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eschaton posted:

stopped by Fry's and picked up an Intel Edison Arduino Kit, it's basically an Arduino but with two 32-bit x86 cores running at hundreds of MHz with gigabytes of RAM and flash and WiFi and Bluetooth instead of an 8-bit microcosm trooper with kilobytes of RAM and flash and a straw to the rest of the world

wonder how hard it'd be to boot Darwin on it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Old White Dudes:

Stop Getting Brow Lifts

That Is All.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

I'm the wearing your conference badge on stage

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

Old White Dudes:

Stop

That Is All.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Old Dudes:

Stop

That

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eschaton posted:

is this an rtos at least? lol if you think you can do any kind of good electronic work fighting against a preemptive scheduler

also

eschaton posted:

8-bit microcosm trooper

mods

also

Jonny 290 posted:

Old Men:

Warning

Warning

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol does it still break out GPIOs onto separate chips interfaced over I2C?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

this is like some black and white infomercial world poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but wait, for $9.99 you get not one, but two SPI buses just pay separate shipping and handling

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

but wait, for $9.99 you get not one, but two SPI buses just pay separate shipping and handling

lol if your soc only has two spi controllers, spend the extra $0.35 get a monster

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mr Dog posted:

i don't think the edison board ever did this. the first galileo board only had low-speed gpio on expanders, but the current galileo board has 12 high speed gpio pins right off of the SoC and more on an i2c expander. i am pretty sure the edison board has at least that many high speed gpios but i haven't worked with it so i'm not sure and i can't be bothered to look it up.

i know this because my secret santa gift required all 12 gpios on the galileo board, they can operate at 1.2 or 2.9 MHz, depending on the pin (different pullup resistors and output capacitors).

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

That is very few, lousy gpios

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

while home for the holidays i found my very first old serial arduino that i built from a kit :3:

it's all through-hole and it has an atmega8 on it and needs to be programmed with a level-shifted serial cable cause there's no such hardware on the board

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 7, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im almost assuredly not going to buy this right now but lemme get a thumbs up/down on this one just so i can get an idea of the market

it feels about $75 high to me

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

im almost assuredly not going to buy this right now but lemme get a thumbs up/down on this one just so i can get an idea of the market

it feels about $75 high to me

$75 is the real price for that imo

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mido posted:

$75 is the real price for that imo

yep. the 434 looks like a curiosity in that its an analog scope that can store waveforms, but its still a 2 channel 25MHz analog scope

jonny what are you looking for in a scope?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Arcsech posted:

jonny what are you looking for in a scope?

ability to build and troubleshoot HF oscillators, filters, amps. i do not see myself loving around with >30 mhz stuff for the near future really

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

ability to build and troubleshoot HF oscillators, filters, amps. i do not see myself loving around with >30 mhz stuff for the near future really

if you want to do hf stuff (up to 30MHz) reliably, you want a scope rated to 60MHz or more. the rated bandwitch on a scope is the -3dB point so looking at a 25MHz signal on a 25MHz scope the scope will report only about 70% of the actual signal strength and you'll basically completely lose any harmonics so a square wave will look like poo poo

I'd look for 60MHz as your bare minimum and you should be able to get a 100MHz scope for p. cheap

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
alright. am i going to hate myself if i don't go for a storage scope? and are analog storage scopes at all reliable/decent

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

alright. am i going to hate myself if i don't go for a storage scope? and are analog storage scopes at all reliable/decent

i have absolutely no experience with analog storage scopes so I can't say for that part. i actually didn't know they existed until i googled that model you posted

most of my work with scopes is looking at digital or power supply lines, and having a DSO for those is super duper nice since you can capture and examine power-on, spikes, generally non-repeating stuff at your leisure. however for mainly analog stuff like filters and amps you're probably fine with an analog scope since you can easily test it with repeating signals. somebody who works with that kind of stuff more regularly should chime in though, I am talking from school experience, at work I am a 1s and 0s guy

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

most analogue storage scopes are limited to taking a snapshot of whatever is on the screen, so it's not like a digital scope where you can capture a huge waveform over a long period and then zoom and move around.

also avoid early digital storage scopes. i bought a mid 80s gould 1425 and the "digital" features are pretty much as above - snapshot the screen (1k samples, lol) and fart it out of the serial port in an annoying format is about all it can do

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i've got an early 2000s tek at work and it can only export to <=64mb usb sticks lol

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Blotto Skorzany posted:

i've got an early 2000s tek at work and it can only export to <=64mb usb sticks lol

yeah mine crashes with anything bigger than 2gb plugged in, so i guess thats progress at least

Jonny 290 posted:

is there any reason you dont just pick up something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hantek-DSO5...=item1c30f6166a

they seem to be reviewed favorably as an entry level scope and it appears they can be hacked to double the bandwidth http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/ while being nearly the same price as that old tek scope

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wow thats pretty nice

to answer: i dont know much about the shenzhen test equipment tidal wave and am scared because all those mini scopes get bad reviews cause theyre obviously recycled androids or w/e, etc.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

wow thats pretty nice

to answer: i dont know much about the shenzhen test equipment tidal wave and am scared because all those mini scopes get bad reviews cause theyre obviously recycled androids or w/e, etc.

stay far away from any usb oscilloscope they are pretty much universally garbage except a few really expensive ones, and benchtops will always be better. the ones like the hantek/rigol etc benchtop units have pretty much the same internals and should be just fine for what youre doing. they have been around for several years now and have had a lot of discussion like on the board i linked

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok i think i will save my pennies + pick one up cause yeah i dont want an old 70 lb tek that just breaks anyways and welp that was a custom IC throw it in the trash, out $100

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

yeah i picked up an entry level rigol and it's fine for the dumb poo poo i need to do, iirc it's the 50mhz one and someone here was saying the 100mhz and 50mhz are the same ones you can just flash it, but i think ill wait till i actually need it

added bonuses are things already mentioned, but you can get waaay fancier triggers for debugging bus logic stuff, also you can do FFT visualization if you need to

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The only time I used a rigol it's ui was a laggy terrible piece of poo poo is that still the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Bloody posted:

The only time I used a rigol it's ui was a laggy terrible piece of poo poo is that still the case

the one i have is no problem but as i've described before: i bought my entry rigol off a coworker who was upgrading to a bigger fancier rigol which has a loving awful interface

mine has no issues i can think of really. the UI gets a little cuttered when you are 2-3 layers deep in a setting but it's fine and responsive

• Locked thread