Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

kalstrams posted:

is that a diarrhea over potatoes?

diarrhea over tater tots, specifically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

keyboard vomit posted:

fried cheese curds are the most midwestern thing ever but also the best bar food in existence

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sniep posted:

im the article claiming authority about midwestern food without mention of hot dish like green bean casserole

no it's in there

tho if you're wondering why they don't explain what makes hot dish different from just generic casserole then i have some terrible news for you about your "regional specialty"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

keyboard vomit posted:

fried cheese curds are the most midwestern thing ever but also the best bar food in existence

:agreed:

also lol

In many areas where fried cheese curds are common, the term "cheese curds" refers to the fried variety; non-fried curds are distinguished by calling them "raw" or "plain" cheese curds.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it's like the hellraiser version of carne asada fries

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no it's in there

tho if you're wondering why they don't explain what makes hot dish different from just generic casserole then i have some terrible news for you about your "regional specialty"

quote:

Minnesota goulash, a famous combination of tomatoes, macaroni, ground beef and creamed corn is popular as well.[34]
did someone change the meaning of the word "famous" while i was sleeping or something

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

oh, sounds cool, like potato balls, only cylinders

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

FMguru posted:

did someone change the meaning of the word "famous" while i was sleeping or something

I've lived here for eight years and have never heard of this thing

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

cylindrical food best food

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how is chicago the midwest

that one's really weird to me it's basically in canada

they used to call it the northwest because it was northwest of the ohio. eventually they realized that there was an actual northwest and it was further west, so they called the older states the midwest. mid never meant latitude

the natives past the ohio were pretty good at and committed to killing the invading white folks, so when that finally mostly ended, there was a sudden wave of pent-up migration west which settled most of those states around the same time. that means they were settled by the same or similar waves of immigrants, including lots of germans, poles, and scandinavians. it's also fairly geographically uniform so you get similar dominant land use (endless fields of grain). so there are some cultural similarities

so the term isn't complete bullshit, although you could apply the same logic to most of montana and the populated parts of colorado and probably most of the other states on the periphery

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FMguru posted:

if somebody uses "famous", they're almost certainly trying too hard and should be given one of those "weasel words" tags in wikipedia

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

As a Millennial I posted:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sniep posted:

also macaroni salad lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

slim jims are a sometimes food

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

I dont really get all the hate of this picture, seems to me like it could be pretty good?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

that's a casserole

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that was awful

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Syncopated posted:

I dont really get all the hate of this picture, that seems to me llike it could be pretty good?

the right side makes it look like there's a lot of nasty cheese under the red layer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Syncopated posted:

I dont really get all the hate of this picture, seems to me like it could be pretty good?

You are disgusting.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

prefect posted:

the right side makes it look like there's a lot of nasty cheese under the red layer

PCjr sidecar posted:

darwin-garbage-plate.jpg

its not named for the food on the plate its named for the people who eat it

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

checks out based on cranberry sauce still in the shape of the can.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

that was awful
deleted scenes are usually deleted for a good reason

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

The Leck posted:

checks out based on cranberry sauce still in the shape of the can.

the best

gently caress cranberry 'sauce'... jellied in a can 4eva

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
take some water, add sugar and make simple syrup. just need like 1/2 cup or so. add 2 cans cranberries(one whole berries one not), one orange's worth of peel, two bags of constant comment tea. bring to boil, steep tea for couple minutes, pull bags out and simmer to desired consistency

simple and good

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
nope sorry jonny

only and forever, amen.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

You are disgusting.

it's some potato stuff and what looks sorta like chili? nothing wrong with that

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Syncopated posted:

in this analogy, the pig's giant nuts are the plate, and

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Sniep posted:

in this analogy, the pig's giant nuts are the plate, and

laughed out loud

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sniep posted:

nope sorry jonny

only and forever, amen.

truth

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Syncopated posted:

and macaroni salad

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

there's a bar here that serves "decent" southern style food like gumbo/jumbalaya

they used to make mac cakes, which as a ball of mac n cheese that was fried in beer batter and served up with honey marmalade omfg it was incredible

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sounds like a cooked heart attack

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mido posted:

there's a bar here that serves "decent" southern style food like gumbo/jumbalaya

they used to make mac cakes, which as a ball of mac n cheese that was fried in beer batter and served up with honey marmalade omfg it was incredible

oh dude there's a soul food two blocks down the street, if you want we will go get catfish and stuff. they got several good thangs

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kalstrams posted:

sounds like a cooked heart attack

Mido posted:

southern style food

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Mido posted:

imho cajun/creole isnt really what i think as southern, more paula deen fried lard monstrosities, like

quote:

as a ball of mac n cheese that was fried in beer batter and served up with honey marmalade

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
request to reroute to foodchat so we dont turn into bay crabdicks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yea foodchat really belongs in cjs

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm the cheapest counter-height dining room table that Value City Furniture sells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm the cheapest counter-height dining room table that Value City Furniture sells

im p sure im the beers set out for the extravaganza

• Locked thread