Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'm considering trading up my beginner guitar (an Ibanez GIO that I got second hand) for something lighter. I started playing with a band, and after an hour or two I'm really feeling the weight. Also I'm stupid and think that a more expensive guitar would make my playing suck less. I have only played regularly for half a year, so I still don't have an idea what kind of guitar I should be looking at.

I'm currently playing mostly blues and bluesy rock, and look at something mid-range in price. Any recommendations what to try out? I'm in Sweden and it seems like all guitars are like 1.5 times as expensive here as in the US, which sucks but I'll deal with it. The second hand market here also seems much smaller, so it's less of an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Sockington posted:

Are they actually useable? I loving love block inlays.

Yes, I had a set from Jockomo inlay stickers on a bass. They are thin enough that you don't notice them and they stay stuck on quite well, while also being easily removable if you don't like them. Just have to take your time applying them so they line up properly and they look real!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

lilljonas posted:

I'm considering trading up my beginner guitar (an Ibanez GIO that I got second hand) for something lighter. I started playing with a band, and after an hour or two I'm really feeling the weight. Also I'm stupid and think that a more expensive guitar would make my playing suck less. I have only played regularly for half a year, so I still don't have an idea what kind of guitar I should be looking at.

I'm currently playing mostly blues and bluesy rock, and look at something mid-range in price. Any recommendations what to try out? I'm in Sweden and it seems like all guitars are like 1.5 times as expensive here as in the US, which sucks but I'll deal with it. The second hand market here also seems much smaller, so it's less of an option.

Most of the VM/CV Squiers are surprisingly playable out the box. Not sure what the used market is like over there. If you have a craigslist there or anything, if you want to PM me the listings, I can help you grab something pretty good bang/buck.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Most of the VM/CV Squiers are surprisingly playable out the box. Not sure what the used market is like over there. If you have a craigslist there or anything, if you want to PM me the listings, I can help you grab something pretty good bang/buck.

Thanks! The VM/CV Squiers does look cheap enough that I could get them in store if I don't find anything better used. The closest to craigslist would be either of these:

http://www.tradera.com/search?categoryId=301965&itemCondition=Used&q=elgitarr&expanded=1&queryScope=AnyWordsAnyOrder
http://www.blocket.se/hela_sverige?q=elgitarr&cg=6160&w=3&st=s&c=0&ca=23_11&is=1&l=0&md=th

E: and don't tell me this is not indeed a classy looking guitar

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 7, 2015

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

lilljonas posted:

Thanks! The VM/CV Squiers does look cheap enough that I could get them in store if I don't find anything better used. The closest to craigslist would be either of these:

http://www.tradera.com/search?categoryId=301965&itemCondition=Used&q=elgitarr&expanded=1&queryScope=AnyWordsAnyOrder
http://www.blocket.se/hela_sverige?q=elgitarr&cg=6160&w=3&st=s&c=0&ca=23_11&is=1&l=0&md=th

I'll scan through them and no, Tele Thinlines are loving beautiful and Teles are super awesome/versatile guitars!

Edit: How much are the VM/CV's in kr for a better price point.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 7, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

looks like a musicman of some variety

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I'll scan through them and no, Tele Thinlines are loving beautiful and Teles are super awesome/versatile guitars!

Edit: How much are the VM/CV's in kr for a better price point.

The Tele Thinline would be 4 000 kr (500 USD) at my local shop, their squires (VM/CV) are between 3 000 and 4000
http://www.malmomusikaffar.com/category/45-1/Squier

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

I LOVE my (Fender) 69 thinline. If you get one and are so inclined you should give flatwounds a shot.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

lilljonas posted:

The Tele Thinline would be 4 000 kr (500 USD) at my local shop, their squires (VM/CV) are between 3 000 and 4000
http://www.malmomusikaffar.com/category/45-1/Squier

I mean there are some decent deals on here. But, as a rule of thumb, if you think that thinline will make you want to pick it up everyday - its worth the few extra bucks in the long run. IMHO.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Just be warned that my CV Tele is as heavy as my LP clone.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

havelock posted:

Just be warned that my CV Tele is as heavy as my LP clone.

I was wondering when someone was going to mention that!

muike posted:

looks like a musicman of some variety

Yeah she says she's touring with one of them things you said

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My CV Tele is like 9lbs. Balances perfectly though. It's the rawest most straightforward slab I've got. There's something about it feeling like a big hunk of wood that gives it it's personality.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

lilljonas posted:

What model of Gio do you have? My girlfriend has a GRX70 and it's the lightest guitar we've got between myself and her. Granted, that list includes a lovely epiphone Les Paul Studio II, a Malden Utopia, and a Jumbo Luna Accoustic.

As far as what kind of guitar, what do you plan to do with it? Are you going to be playing covers of certain bands? If you want to go lightweight, A Squier mustang electric was something that was suggested to me when I was shopping for my girlfriend who is 4ft 9in and has tiny pixie hands.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

lilljonas posted:

How heavy is it?

Tokai strats are cheap and phenomenally good for the price. My AST-33 weighs 3.8 kg or so.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I totally missed the lighter weight part, or eh, forgot when looking at guitars. But, SG style guitars are usually pretty light. They have a faded SG on that craigslist you posted that might be pretty good for ya.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

It's a Music Man Albert Lee model. Awesome guitars but wayyy expensive.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there any reason why one wouldn't get a slash SL5 apart from the subjective appeal of the sound? I am tossing up various orange ideas (forerunning dark terror + 1*12) versus one, the going price is about 350gbp which is roughly the same as a terror amp minus cab. Dark horse option: black star ht5rh plus cab. Need a 1x12 whatever happens so no combo there.

I don't play live, already have a recording rig.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Side Effects posted:

It's a Music Man Albert Lee model. Awesome guitars but wayyy expensive.

They aren't cheap, but they're not knock-yer-socks-off custom shop/small luthier expensive either. Seem to street for around $1700.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

What model of Gio do you have? My girlfriend has a GRX70 and it's the lightest guitar we've got between myself and her. Granted, that list includes a lovely epiphone Les Paul Studio II, a Malden Utopia, and a Jumbo Luna Accoustic.

As far as what kind of guitar, what do you plan to do with it? Are you going to be playing covers of certain bands? If you want to go lightweight, A Squier mustang electric was something that was suggested to me when I was shopping for my girlfriend who is 4ft 9in and has tiny pixie hands.

It is a GRX40. I can't find two sites that agree on how much it weights! Weight is not the be-all, end-all defining factor, but it would be nice to be able to play longer without getting as tired in my back.

As for what to do with it, I'm currently playing rhythm guitarr with a very casual band. Casual as in "doesn't even have a name yet". At the moment we're just playing covers of blues/rock songs, think 60's 70's Dad Rock, Foghat, Neil Young, Doors, etc. I'm still a beginner and would like to get better at playing blues and old school hard rock, maybe starting to play and sing at the same time later on.
It would be fun to, at some point, get into playing spacy/stoner rock, but finding a band here that plays exactly what you like is not easy. And Dad Rock rhythm guitar is definitely a forgiving entry point to playing with others.

The alternative for the money burning in my pocket would be to stay with the Gio a bit longer and pick up an acoustic guitar instead...

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

lilljonas posted:

The alternative for the money burning in my pocket would be to stay with the Gio a bit longer and pick up an acoustic guitar instead...

Why not split the difference and get a hollow/semi hollow body electric? A few pages back I was asking about the Ibanez Artcores and got some pretty positive responses to that. The AF75s are fully hollow body electric and run about $400 US, The AS73 is semi-hollow and run about the same.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Just had a few hours with my VM Baritone. Squier does not gently caress around at all anymore, I love it. First thing I noticed was how lightweight it was. It feels very good from the balance, to the neck, the controls. It's sensible but weird as poo poo. The Antigua looks much better in person. I was happy with how well it matches the feel of the guitar. The pickups seem good. The neck is very clear, has a bit of a hifi sound. The bridge is pretty compressed and punchy. So far I've spent most of my time in the middle position and I really, really enjoy it. The strings it ships with are garbage, I can't wait to get some Circle Ks ordered a take off these very unbalanced, finger color changing things off.

So yeah, I dig it, and if you think it sounds cool on paper and have an itch for a baritone go for it. It's well made with a few goofy question marks, why is the neck plate slightly crooked? why is the pickguard almost squishy and soft? why does it have a dano bridge that buzzes slightly? (Pretty sure it's something with the high a string saddle). It plays great stock though and I'm a happy camper.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Just had a few hours with my VM Baritone. Squier does not gently caress around at all anymore, I love it. First thing I noticed was how lightweight it was. It feels very good from the balance, to the neck, the controls. It's sensible but weird as poo poo. The Antigua looks much better in person. I was happy with how well it matches the feel of the guitar. The pickups seem good. The neck is very clear, has a bit of a hifi sound. The bridge is pretty compressed and punchy. So far I've spent most of my time in the middle position and I really, really enjoy it. The strings it ships with are garbage, I can't wait to get some Circle Ks ordered a take off these very unbalanced, finger color changing things off.

So yeah, I dig it, and if you think it sounds cool on paper and have an itch for a baritone go for it. It's well made with a few goofy question marks, why is the neck plate slightly crooked? why is the pickguard almost squishy and soft? why does it have a dano bridge that buzzes slightly? (Pretty sure it's something with the high a string saddle). It plays great stock though and I'm a happy camper.

Alright, I'm totally saving up for one of these guys. It sounds like they're really well-built for the price.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
St. Vincent has a pretty awesome taste in guitars.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I think a couple people agree with you, based upon the crappy old silvertones I see on craigslist, with sellers asking $900 for "ST VINCENT GUITAR".

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

You can pretty much blame Annie Clark and Rick Froberg for driving up the cost of Harmony Bobkats.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i've never heard of them until right now, the band i mean, of course i've heard of obscure lovely guitars

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
There's one on Reverb right now for $150 if anyone wants it.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
I'm currently learning basic chords and strumming trying to get used to rhythm guitar playing on an acoustic guitar.

I find my guitar sounds too loud and bright when playing with my Jim Dunlop .60mm plectrum, despite it being quite a thin one.

Because of that I generally prefer strumming with my fingers if possible but am finding it hard to get the rhythm and strumming patterns right for upstrokes as it's quite awkward to do them with the back of my thumb.

If I went for a different softer plectrum would I be able to find one closer to using my fingers to strum or do i just need to learn a particular finger strumming method?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Just try a handful of different things, and do what works best for you. There really is no right way.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thin picks are almost always bright, thick picks are more rounded and full. Do yourself a possible huge favor and buy some black Jazz III carbon grip picks. They're a standard for a long of people and I use them on everything from lead work to acoustic rhythm work. They sound really good and once you get used to the size it's hard to play with something less precise.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
This is a good thing to consult a good guitarist about. I had to have someone show me closely different techniques they used.

I play with my fingers on acoustic, because I like to fingerpick and do accent things that are easier without a pick.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thin picks are almost always bright, thick picks are more rounded and full. Do yourself a possible huge favor and buy some black Jazz III carbon grip picks. They're a standard for a long of people and I use them on everything from lead work to acoustic rhythm work. They sound really good and once you get used to the size it's hard to play with something less precise.

2mm sized picks like http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dunlop-delrin-standard-guitar-pick sound smooth as hell and are a little easier to switch to compared to Jazz IIIs. I used to have a few of these, some clear acrylic ones, and some faux tortoise shell ones but I don't remember if I still even have them. It's always worth trying every kind of pick when you're just starting out because you never know what suits you unless you try everything.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

40 OZ posted:

This is a good thing to consult a good guitarist about. I had to have someone show me closely different techniques they used.

I play with my fingers on acoustic, because I like to fingerpick and do accent things that are easier without a pick.

Yeah, fingers sound really nice on acoustics. Alternately I use a really thin nylon pick.

That said I really kind of hate the feel of acoustics so I have to be pretty inspired to bother.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah thin picks are generally bright, because you've got that focused thin edge pinging the string (I don't know I'm not a physicist). It's not just the thickness, rigidity and materials make a difference too. So does where you pick/strum, close to the bridge will give you a brighter sound because of the stiffness, move up the neck towards the middle of the string and it will get warmer and more rounded. And how you hold the pick matters too, the angle and how tightly you hold it, and whether you skim the strings or dig in

Also the string material and gauge! And where your head is in relation to the guitar, and the acoustics of the room. Are we having fun yet?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I noticed the other day that my pick bag has a bunch of black tortex jazz IIIs and only a few red nylon ones left so in a moment of sunk cost fallacy I thought "might as well use them I guess." They sound powerful as hell for chords but I can't tremolo pick as well as I can with the red nylons and then thought "oh yeah that's why I don't use these," because speed is king.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

baka kaba posted:

Yeah thin picks are generally bright, because you've got that focused thin edge pinging the string (I don't know I'm not a physicist). It's not just the thickness, rigidity and materials make a difference too. So does where you pick/strum, close to the bridge will give you a brighter sound because of the stiffness, move up the neck towards the middle of the string and it will get warmer and more rounded. And how you hold the pick matters too, the angle and how tightly you hold it, and whether you skim the strings or dig in

Also the string material and gauge! And where your head is in relation to the guitar, and the acoustics of the room. Are we having fun yet?

Everyone knows that platinum picks are the only serious choice for tone.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

unlawfulsoup posted:

Everyone knows that platinum picks are the only serious choice for tone.

Eh I dunno, I'm a fan of the palladium picks since my strings are already platinum coated. I find the harmonics a little too much if it's plat on plat. Or something, like I said I'm not a physicist!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Am I lame for liking the .88 tortex standards?

http://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-488P88-Tortex-Guitar-12-Pack/dp/B00157HSFM

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah ya bum!

Are those the green ones? I used them a bit, I was on purple for a while (this is on electric) and then went blue, green are kinda similar... I'm still a Jazz III convert now though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Yeah ya bum!

Are those the green ones? I used them a bit, I was on purple for a while (this is on electric) and then went blue, green are kinda similar... I'm still a Jazz III convert now though

Yeah, the greens, but in black. I've got a Jazz III from the dunlop sample pack I bought, but I've never used it. Maybe I'll give it a shot with the hopes that I don't like it, just bought one of the 72 packs of those .88s haha.