Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

NomChompsky posted:

You do realize that whole pork eating crusader patch thing is purchased on their own and put on their uniform by soldiers who choose to because they're shitheads, right? It's not like, a unit, or anything.

Except that the very highest level of administration (Rumsfeld) used scripture as a justification for invading Iraq, including portraying it as a holy war/crusade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

computer parts posted:

Wasn't your original point that political parties followed the same platform no matter what?

It was that religions and political parties have more in common then religions and race. yes slight variations occur, yet that republican in new hampshire still agreed with the vast majority of the GOP platform, enough so to represent them in the election.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

adocious posted:

He had plenty to say about infidels and how they should be oppressed or killed, though? That seems more than a little bit relevant.

Are you seriously suggesting that bin Laden attacked the US because they were "infidels"? Because bin Laden would've pretty strongly disagreed with you.

Do ya'll just not know how to read paragraphs or something?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It was that religions and political parties have more in common then religions and race. yes slight variations occur, yet that republican in new hampshire still agreed with the vast majority of the GOP platform, enough so to represent them in the election.

So which controversial (as in, related to violence) parts do you believe most Muslims believe in?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

my bony fealty posted:

Except that the very highest level of administration (Rumsfeld) used scripture as a justification for invading Iraq, including portraying it as a holy war/crusade?

He just picked that example because the other two I posted are clear and irrefutable examples of systemic religious extremism in the leadership of the coalition forces.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Thanks for admitting, at long last, that you are not profiling Muslims, you're profiling Arabs.
I've never denied it :confused:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Tezzor posted:

Muslim extremists overwhelmingly and centrally justify their actions by reference to western policy in the Middle East. This is not credibly arguable. Even when they do use religious rhetoric or quotations such as the necessity or acceptability of jihad, it is in the context of jihad being necessary because of the oppression of Muslims.
I think a more valuable approach would be for western countries to take even a minimal effort to do something about the root causes of extremism. It's not even difficult to identify those casues, it's like sociology 101. Work on inclusion, racism, poverty and so on. This is no different than the banlieues catching fire every few years, really. It's not like people haven't been saying this over and over again. The justification given by the extremists is almost irrelevant - they'll find something, be it religion, oppression of the middle east, whatever. They've already flipped a mental switch before coming up with the justification - and it's the flipping of that switch you need to prevent.

Though obviously, a change in western policy in the middle east can only help.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Strawman posted:

They don't use the same term for a black man in both places though In New Hampshire they say African-American ;).

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/05/robert-copeland-not-sorry-for-calling-obama-n-word.html

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Periodiko posted:

Are you seriously suggesting that bin Laden attacked the US because they were "infidels"? Because bin Laden would've pretty strongly disagreed with you.

Do ya'll just not know how to read paragraphs or something?

Um, no, I'm suggesting that Mohammed preached that violence against infidels is justified and that is part of the moral calculus of Islamist terrorism.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

SedanChair posted:

He just picked that example because the other two I posted are clear and irrefutable examples of systemic religious extremism in the leadership of the coalition forces.

You forgot to add Bush personally asking the French President to help us invade Iraq because "Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East." The crazy really does go all the way up.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

my bony fealty posted:

And the French government at the time thought they were insane because of it. So please say how this in any way ties into the killing of French cartoonists.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Definitely. It's of course true that the military is full of jingoistic shitheads who make bad decisions on their own that shouldn't reflect on the organization as a whole (dude who peed on the Koran, for instance), but to deny that there is religious motivation permeating the military up to the very top is plain wrong.

quote:

And the French government at the time thought they were insane because of it. So please say how this in any way ties into the killing of French cartoonists.

Don't ask me, ask the right-wing media who are right now writing scripts about how the next shooting could be here!!! in your neighborhood!! with ebola-k-47s!!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Yes, obviously. It is a morale patch, like these:

But it's tolerated. And military commanders have a hell of a lot more direct responsibility for their troops wearing it than "Islam" does for the actions of terrorists.

The Infidel moral patch is unauthorized, but yes it is tolerated by a lot of local commanders.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

Definitely. It's of course true that the military is full of jingoistic shitheads who make bad decisions on their own that shouldn't reflect on the organization as a whole (dude who peed on the Koran, for instance), but to deny that there is religious motivation permeating the military up to the very top is plain wrong.

Don't ask me, ask the right-wing media who are right now writing scripts about how the next shooting could be here!!! in your neighborhood!! with ebola-k-47s!!

The image without context made it seem like that was some kind of standard uniform decision. The US Military, being an American institution, is just as influenced by religion as anything in America is.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
#KillAllMuslims is trending on Twitter in the year 2015.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

adocious posted:

Um, no, I'm suggesting that Mohammed preached that violence against infidels is justified and that is part of the moral calculus of Islamist terrorism.

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

'Kill your parents and participate in martyrdom operations' - Jesus

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Please, folks. Let's not squander the opportunity presented by a political massacre in all probability committed by Muslims to denounce the Christian massacre of Muslims in the Crusades several centuries ago. Also, down with Wall Street and my parents for making me go to Sunday School!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

computer parts posted:

So which controversial (as in, related to violence) parts do you believe most Muslims believe in?

I don't care, since my original post was to suggest that instead of whatever moderates are doing now, they should go find something better, since its not working. And most do not even have to agree with it, but their infrastructure allows the extremists to gain power and influence and use them. Same as a christian who lets his wacky buddy Scott Roeder rail against abortion doctors.

I could list a bunch of passages from the koran and the bible like someone else did upthread, but that would be pointless anyway as I would simply be told they are being taken out of context, are not representative, etc etc etc

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TheImmigrant posted:

Please, folks. Let's not squander the opportunity presented by a political massacre in all probability committed by Muslims to denounce the Christian massacre of Muslims in the Crusades several centuries ago. Also, down with Wall Street and my parents for making me go to Sunday School!

I don't think anyone mentioned the crusades, you don't have to go back that far in time to find examples of European loving over Muslims.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

adocious posted:

Except he didn't. So aside from the lack of substantiation or evidence this argument works.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

The Infidel moral patch is unauthorized, but yes it is tolerated by a lot of local commanders.

An admission to having no religion is per se Islamophobic.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TheImmigrant posted:

You don't have to go back the Crusades, hahah.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

TheImmigrant posted:

Guys, guys, GUYS.

Bush and Cheney are war criminals.

ps. i watched generation kill, you can't tell me that american soldiers are not evil :colbert:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This is just another good reason to nuke ISIL off the map - the wave of lone wolf attacks that might be a result would be like a breaking fever.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I don't care, since my original post was to suggest that instead of whatever moderates are doing now, they should go find something better, since its not working. And most do not even have to agree with it, but their infrastructure allows the extremists to gain power and influence and use them. Same as a christian who lets his wacky buddy Scott Roeder rail against abortion doctors.

I could list a bunch of passages from the koran and the bible like someone else did upthread, but that would be pointless anyway as I would simply be told they are being taken out of context, are not representative, etc etc etc

Just admit you're too lazy to do the research instead of complaining about imaginary strawmen.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TheImmigrant posted:

An admission to having no religion is per se Islamophobic.

quote:

Infidel is an ecclesiastical term in Christianity around which the Church developed a body of theology that deals with the concept of infidelity, which makes a clear differentiation between those who were baptized and followed the teachings of the Church versus those who are outside the faith.[3] The term infidel was used by Christians to describe those perceived as the enemies of Christianity.

After the ancient world the concept of otherness, an exclusionary notion of the outside by societies with more or less coherent cultural boundaries, became associated with the development of the monotheistic and prophetic religions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam.[3]

In modern era literature, the term infidel includes in its scope atheists,[4][5][6] polytheists,[7] animists,[8] heathen and pagan.[9] Infidel as a concept is sometimes contrasted with the concept of religious pluralism.

Its okay, the Christian church thinks I'm an infidel too!

McDowell posted:

This is just another good reason to nuke ISIL off the map - the wave of lone wolf attacks that might be a result would be like a breaking fever.

Someone corrected me: It was carried out by Al Qaeda from Yemen.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Strawman posted:

They don't use the same term for a black man in both places though In New Hampshire they say African-American ;).

New Hampshire is 1.5% black. Alabama is 26.6% black.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 7, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, there's really no situation where you can't yell at moderates for not doing enough to prevent it. That's like 90% of sports commentary.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

I don't think anyone mentioned the crusades, you don't have to go back that far in time to find examples of European loving over Muslims.

Which is why we must assiduously avoid discussing atrocities committed by Muslims today, comme il faut.

Instead, let's discuss the Spanish injustices of 1492.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Broken Cog posted:

Posters itt are pretending it didn't happen in order to condemn Muslims as uniquely evil and prone to terrorism, then getting mad when people point out that this view puts them at odds with reality?

TheImmigrant posted:

oswald ownenstein posted:

Guys, guys, GUYS.

ps. i watched generation kill, you can't tell me that american soldiers are not evil :colbert:

See?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

Please, folks. Let's not squander the opportunity presented by a political massacre

The National Front sure won't! And neither will David Cameron.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Retail Slave posted:

My wife called me from work about this absolultely flipping out because her dad is in Paris right at this very minute. I keep telling her that he's safe and this was a targeted attack, not "gently caress everyone, lets just kill as many citizens as possible" like others.

It's interesting to note that they did not kill nor attempt to kill the woman who opened the door for them, nor her daughter, nor the person whose car they jacked after ditching their own car. It seems to me the behaviour of people who carried out a targeted strike and are executing some kind of exit plan rather than shooting up as many people as they can before going out like martyrs, which is kind of odd to be honest, given the obsession with martyrdom radical Islamists tend to have. It seems to me that proceeding to kill as many random people they could after finishing their initial attack then standing their ground and killing as many police as they could before eventually being killed would have made an even bigger impact. The only explanations I can come to are either they want to get away alive somehow or they have another target they want to get to. At which point not killing the guy whose car you stole still doesn't make all that much sense to me.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

oswald ownenstein posted:

Guys, guys, GUYS.

Even worse, evil and incompetent.

cuppy tea
Feb 6, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Hello i am mousa i am a muslim i like football and i support manchester united

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cuppy tea posted:

What's your view of what happened today?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Orange Devil posted:

It's interesting to note that they did not kill nor attempt to kill the woman who opened the door for them, nor her daughter, nor the person whose car they jacked after ditching their own car. It seems to me the behaviour of people who carried out a targeted strike and are executing some kind of exit plan rather than shooting up as many people as they can before going out like martyrs, which is kind of odd to be honest, given the obsession with martyrdom radical Islamists tend to have. It seems to me that proceeding to kill as many random people they could after finishing their initial attack then standing their ground and killing as many police as they could before eventually being killed would have made an even bigger impact. The only explanations I can come to are either they want to get away alive somehow or they have another target they want to get to. At which point not killing the guy whose car you stole still doesn't make all that much sense to me.

I'm actually kind of impressed, I doubt the US Military has the capacity to pull off this kind of revenge killing with such little collateral damage.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

SedanChair posted:

The National Front sure won't! And neither will David Cameron.

Cameron? Farage probably came when he heard the news.

cuppy tea posted:

gently caress off you plastic manc prick

Strawman fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 7, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I'm actually kind of impressed, I doubt the US Military has the capacity to pull off this kind of revenge killing with such little collateral damage.

It's really surprising. They're taking aimed shots.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The infrastructure of "being discriminated against because of their skin color clothing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Orange Devil posted:

The simplest explanation would be that they're professionals. This was a targeted strike, well organized, and well executed. Unfortunately, and fortunately, at the same time. :(

• Locked thread