Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't think you can lock the keys in since pulling the handle with the key around unlocks the car. It's more for if the key batteries die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BoostCreep posted:

Clearly you've never dated anyone with a big purse. I could read War and Peace cover to cover with the amount of time I've spent standing next to a car door waiting for girlfriends to find their goddamn keys in their purses.

I have, but in that case the keys aren't "lost", they are in the purse.

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't think you can lock the keys in since pulling the handle with the key around unlocks the car. It's more for if the key batteries die.

In my Fiesta if the fob is left in the car it temporarily disables access for that particular fob to the door locks. That serves two purposes, one being that it makes it so you can lock yourself into the car (or other people out) and so if keys are accidentally left in the car no one can just come along and get in and drive away.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 7, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

Brakes don't work when you've cooked them by lightly "sort of" applying them to try and regulate your speed for the past twenty miles, rather than just standing on the pedal full force. People don't know how cars work, don't know how to drive, and aren't interested in learning about either.

Reminder that the guy in question was a cop who has presumably had pursuit training. I'd expect them, of all people, to have "what you do when poo poo goes down" type training.

Maybe he was just a garbage cop. :shrug:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Aw, jesus christ.

Also this lovely single shear configuration on a lifted cherokee looks like it's about to go

That's a grand cherokee. Specifically, a 99 and later WJ chassis.

And uh, here's the kicker, from the factory they are double shear :v:

Someone did a bad job of swapping those shocks. Probably some idiot 4 wheeler who is defending their dana 35 somewhere at this very moment.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unless they swapped the V8 badge, it's at least Schrodinger's 44, not a 35 :v:

But yeah, that looks like quite the... special way to resolve the issues that a lot of WJs develop with lovely shock bushings.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

ratbert90 posted:

My wife at least has the good sense to have a pocket in her purse dedicated to keys, and she uses it. Stop dating/marrying people who can't be arsed to organize their poo poo. :smug:

I don't anymore, but I did. One ex would take 15 loving minutes to find her keys if there were only keys, wallet, and lipstick in the purse. But, keyless is cool, and I think they are awesome as balls - hell, even for me, would save me some hassle when I'm at the dump/wearing stupid big gloves and don't feel like fumbling. But, I key along like a pleb :P

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless they swapped the V8 badge, it's at least Schrodinger's 44, not a 35 :v:

But yeah, that looks like quite the... special way to resolve the issues that a lot of WJs develop with lovely shock bushings.

I forgot the WJ ever got the D44a :downs:

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I specifically bought a new car to get the keyless entry/keyless start. I love not going into my pockets for a key. 6 weeks of a rental and I couldn't handle messing about with real keys when I got home.

The e60 bmw you had to get the convenience package to get the antenna or whatever so you didn't have to poke the key into the slot.
The outdoor antenna broke and we called it the inconvenience package, we had to get the stupid little key out every time to get into the car.

It does make it easier for the car to know what key and settings you want it to have when you are both in the car, though.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

My neighbor bought a late model town car limo "so he can drink in it". Sounds like a well justified purchase to me!

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I actually would like one of these, the gun can be demil'd (stupid Washington laws) but yeah, street-legal that big bitch and DD.

And a big "bumper sticker" for the back, plasma-cut out of diamond plate: HUMMERS ARE FOR PUSSIES

:black101:

<- terrible car stuff

I'd DD one of these if I could.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Do all keyless fobs have a key hidden in them? I've encountered maybe four or five myself now, and I think they all did.

Fairly certain they do, or at least they should.
IIRC they're meant for when you hand your car over to a valet, you can still have access to it (trunk, driver's side door, etc) without needing to retrieve the key from the valet, since they're almost always attached to the keyring. Might be wrong though, since this is all second hand information and hearsay.

On topic, today, after her having owned it for seven years, I only just found out after driving my mother's 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee that it has no functioning parking brake. And has never had one.
As in, it passed QC and left the factory with a disconnected parking brake.
And she never felt the need to actually get the loving thing working.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"hummer"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

1500quidporsche posted:

Enough about boring statistics let's get back to mothers and driving.

I briefly tried to learn driving manual with my mother as a teen. My mother was a firm believer that you're driving wrong if the engine exceeds 2,000 RPM. The result of this was my mother screaming that I needed to be in 5th as I tried to bring her gutless corolla up to 100kph to merge onto a highway.

My mother hasn't driven manual since I was born (except when she's tried to drive my cars), but anytime I drive her in her car, she yells at me about going too fast and "stressing the engine". Even if I'm doing 35 in a 50 (she'd be doing 55-60 on that same stretch of road).

The onboard MPG display generally jumps by about 2-3 MPG average every time I drive it. I believe in matching the speed of traffic in a hurry, then using cruise control, or at least keeping a steady speed. She either idles up to the speed of traffic, or stomps it until she's passing someone, then slows down, then stomps it to match traffic again, etc. She's a firm believer that engines should never go past 2500 RPM. The redline on hers is over 6000 (Toyota 1MZ-FE). I get the same poo poo if she rides in my car, which has a 6500+ redline (GM Ecotec L61 2.2). If I drove my car at 2000 RPM everywhere, I'd be dead within 30 minutes, if the engine didn't detonate itself to death before then. I keep trying to convince her "it's computer controlled, the computer won't let you rev it high enough to hurt it".

ratbert90 posted:

You werent kidding about the Porsche. :stare:

About a year ago, I saw a neighbor's boyfriend trying to get into their Lexus - with a very obviously dead battery. The HID headlights were just barely flickering (I assume this is why the battery died, they'd probably left them on during their :quagmire: session in the house), and the keyless wouldn't respond. He swore up and down that there was no key ever made for the car.

I convinced him to hand me the keyfob. I popped off the plastic cover on the door, popped the key out of the fob, unlocked the door, opened the hood, hooked up jumper cables, and had it started and idling in under 5 minutes, start to finish. The :psypop: look was priceless.

I honestly didn't know for sure that there was a keyed lock on the door, I just put my fingernail under the plastic trim where the lock would normally be, and the plastic popped off. hosed with the keyfob a bit, found a hidden button that made a key pop out. Used that to unlock the door.

Aw, that's so adorable, I didn't know Hummer was in bed with early 80s Econolines (in this case, literally).. :allears:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would imagine in 20 years, those plastic keyhole covers are going to be worth more than printer ink.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Powershift posted:

I would imagine in 20 years, those plastic keyhole covers are going to be worth more than printer ink.

In 20 years, we'll hopefully be able to grab a model and get it 3D printed for the price of a soda. If not, you're probably right.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Look at this. I love how embarrassed the driver is as he no doubt escapes down the side street to check if his poo poo is intact...

http://youtu.be/miA5qj5ergM

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR-style Mega-reply, ahoy!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I just imagined a world full of self-driving cars which watch my blinkers and let me in when I signal. They'd never cut me off, drive indecisively, or tailgate. They'd know how to zipper merge.

It sounded great until I realized they'd all be driving the speed limit and I'd have to conform with them or be slapped down.

But they'd all be doing it in the right lane. Get in the left lane and go, baby, go!
A interesting secondary effect to an increase in self-driving cars: cops will have to look elsewhere for their revenue stream.

Throatwarbler posted:

Here's a cool one.
Ford is recalling the MKC and replacing the entire shift mechanism because people keep turning the car off being found on road dead while trying to shift into drive or operate the radio.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/01/lincoln-mkc-recalled-for-starter-button-placement/index.htm
http://www.autonews.com/article/20141231/RETAIL05/141239986/lincoln-mkc-recalled-to-move-push-button-start-from-near-touchscreen

I mean what are they going to replace it with that will solve that problem?

They're probably moving the start button the the top of the shifter buttons, like on the MKZ my buddy rented New Years. The pushbutton transmission selector was something I hadn't seen (since 60s Chryslers.) We were fiddling with stuff and noting a lot of the same things regarding how difficult it was to adjust all that crap with a touch screen while driving. Basic stuff like radio volume, fan speed, and temperature setting are replicated with actual controls below the touch screen or on the steering wheel, so it's not quite as apocalyptic as it seems.

InitialDave posted:

On keyless systems, the type BMW use annoys me. Ooh, great, there's no key, just a fob... Which I have to put into a specific slot on the dash and click in before I can push the starter button? Either make it pure keyless, or use that as the starter button, for gently caress's sake!

That is stupid.

InitialDave posted:

Brakes don't work when you've cooked them by lightly "sort of" applying them to try and regulate your speed for the past twenty miles, rather than just standing on the pedal full force. People don't know how cars work, don't know how to drive, and aren't interested in learning about either.

This is why self-driving cars can't come soon enough.

Throatwarbler posted:

Here's a vancouver.flv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3gRjvsiySw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fFNHZ5PvZI

Jeep builds an offroad course(with a Ford truck) that could easily be traversed by a Miata, people who get to turn the knob to "offroad" seem pretty impressed.

So thanks for all those provincial film industry/Canadian film content tax credits I guess!

I think that's a neat idea, but, yeah, the course could have been a bit more challenging.

some texas redneck posted:

My mother hasn't driven manual since I was born (except when she's tried to drive my cars), but anytime I drive her in her car, she yells at me about going too fast and "stressing the engine". Even if I'm doing 35 in a 50 (she'd be doing 55-60 on that same stretch of road).

The onboard MPG display generally jumps by about 2-3 MPG average every time I drive it. I believe in matching the speed of traffic in a hurry, then using cruise control, or at least keeping a steady speed. She either idles up to the speed of traffic, or stomps it until she's passing someone, then slows down, then stomps it to match traffic again, etc. She's a firm believer that engines should never go past 2500 RPM. The redline on hers is over 6000 (Toyota 1MZ-FE). I get the same poo poo if she rides in my car, which has a 6500+ redline (GM Ecotec L61 2.2). If I drove my car at 2000 RPM everywhere, I'd be dead within 30 minutes, if the engine didn't detonate itself to death before then. I keep trying to convince her "it's computer controlled, the computer won't let you rev it high enough to hurt it".

Boy, she'd poo poo a brick if she ever rode/drove in a rotary-powered car. 65 in 5th is over 3000 RPM (8000 RPM redline), and you'd never get anywhere only revving it to 2500. I shift at 5-6000 RPM when I'm driving casually.

88h88 posted:

Look at this. I love how embarrassed the driver is as he no doubt escapes down the side street to check if his poo poo is intact...

loving idiot never even slightly turned the steering wheel until he was nearly stopped on the other side of the road. Turn into the skid, moron.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

The best bit is that people are highly unlikely to know how to do that without the manual. Which is probably locked in the car.

Ehh, when I was buying my Jetta sportwagen I made sure to ask how to open the car if the batteries were dead and the salesman actually knew the procedure, similar to the porsche posted above.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

I meant that the car's manual that tells you how to get into the car if you're locked out would be in the glovebox. In the car you're locked out of.

Darchangel posted:

This is why self-driving cars can't come soon enough.
No, this is why being a loving idiot should be hazardous enough to kill off stupid people.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BraveUlysses posted:

Ehh, when I was buying my Jetta sportwagen I made sure to ask how to open the car if the batteries were dead and the salesman actually knew the procedure, similar to the porsche posted above.

When I was buying my GTI, the salesman didn't know how to open the trunk. Not if it was locked or whatever. Open it, period.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

88h88 posted:

As someone that works in San Ramon, CA (The Blackhawk museum is only a few miles from here), this doesn't surprise me in the least. I've been working here for 6 years and have seen at least 4 (Well, 5 now if you include this video) different occasions where some dildo has managed to jump a curb and crash into something.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Uthor posted:

When I was buying my GTI, the salesman didn't know how to open the trunk. Not if it was locked or whatever. Open it, period.

VW sales people tend to be dumb as poo poo* about the cars they sell. Which is fine, it just gives me a bigger advantage when "negotiating" price.

*Although I'm assuming most car salesmen are dumb as poo poo though

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Boy, she'd poo poo a brick if she ever rode/drove in a rotary-powered car. 65 in 5th is over 3000 RPM (8000 RPM redline), and you'd never get anywhere only revving it to 2500. I shift at 5-6000 RPM when I'm driving casually.

I think the autos redline at 8k. I know my 6 speed redlines at 9k. Which, in a related note, caused my equally rev averse mother to lose her poo poo when I redlined it getting on the highway. She was sure I'd destroyed the engine doing that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

VW sales people tend to be dumb as poo poo* about the cars they sell. Which is fine, it just gives me a bigger advantage when "negotiating" price.

*Although I'm assuming most car salesmen are dumb as poo poo though

I think they're all dumb as poo poo but its just the strange VW stuff that throws them off when they have to improvise.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The sound a tired 30+y/o mazda red line buzzer makes has been imprinted into my brain. I heard that every gear change on my mates rx4 as a passenger before I got my own.
Also remember on mine driving very slowly in a shopping centre car park, slow but stayed in 1st gear/2000-3000RPM because of all the speed bumps. I actually had old people to yell at me to slow down.

I went from rotaries, (and even the old spare parts car 1300cc 808 would be revving insanely high to go anywhere), to a 323 which was 3500rpm between gear changes, normal diving and highway speeds, to falcons that don't see much above 2000rpm unless overtaking. It's the engines torque, plus me getting old and having no where to be in a hurry I guess. Plus just don't sound as good or feel/reward as good revving out I think. :(

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 7, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fo3 posted:

The sound a tired 30+y/o mazda red line buzzer makes has been imprinted into my brain. I heard that every gear change on my mates rx4 as a passenger before I got my own.
Also remember on mine driving very slowly in a shopping centre car park, slow but stayed in 1st gear/2000-3000RPM because of all the speed bumps. I actually had old people to yell at me to slow down.

I went from rotaries, (and even the old spare parts car 1300cc 808 would be revving insanely high to go anywhere), to a 323 which was 3500rpm between gear changes, normal diving and highway speeds, to falcons that don't see much above 2000rpm unless overtaking. It's the engines torque, plus me getting old and having no where to be in a hurry I guess. Plus just don't sound as good or feel/reward as good revving out I think. :(

Here I was thinking that I liked big muscular engines purely because it means I can accelerate without looking and sounding like a spectacular attention-seeking cockbag.

ninja edit: unless I'm on my bike, obviously :razz:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

No, this is why being a loving idiot should be hazardous enough to kill off stupid people.

In an ideal world, where Darwin is not subverted in the name of safety, then yes. Until then, I want them stored inside a box that doesn't let them be stupid.

Great Beer posted:

I think the autos redline at 8k. I know my 6 speed redlines at 9k. Which, in a related note, caused my equally rev averse mother to lose her poo poo when I redlined it getting on the highway. She was sure I'd destroyed the engine doing that.

What the hell do people think the little mark on the tach is for? Even that is usually pessimistic. Never mind that the ECU in any modern car won't let the engine rev past a hard limit.
My rotaries are old poo poo (first and second-gen RX-7s), so 7K and 8K RPM. I'm also aware that the redlines on rotaries are mainly for the attached belts and accessories. The engines themselves usually have no trouble zinging to 9 grand (oops.)

Fo3 posted:

Heh. "Mehhhhhhhhhhhh..." What's frightening is when you hear that without the revs (when the coolant or oil level senders trigger.)
My wife's Kia Spctra5 has a 5K RPM redline, but that's because it makes ridiculous torque down low for a 2L engine. I keep trying to run it to redline, but it just doesn't work like that. Neither does my 2.5L Jeep Cherokee. It will, but you don't really gain anything. It's a bit of a shift switching to and from the RX-7.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Wing(s) of GLORY! It looks like this may be the third wing to go on here judging by the holes.

Oh dear, it doesn't fit!~

Can anyone identify the car this R33 stole its wing from?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

No clue where that wing is from but I throughly enjoyed "Queensland - The Smart State" being on that car's plate

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Darchangel posted:

Yeah the first time I ever drove an Integra Type-R I thought it was a piece of poo poo with no guts. My mate that owned it pointed out that the tacho goes to 9k and that you have to wring its neck to get anywhere. Still a piece of poo poo though, but for completely different reasons.

1500quidporsche posted:

No clue where that wing is from but I throughly enjoyed "Queensland - The Smart State" being on that car's plate

The biggest, nastiest lie I've ever seen on a car.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Memento posted:

Yeah the first time I ever drove an Integra Type-R I thought it was a piece of poo poo with no guts. My mate that owned it pointed out that the tacho goes to 9k and that you have to wring its neck to get anywhere. Still a piece of poo poo though, but for completely different reasons.

The biggest, nastiest lie I've ever seen on a car.

Did aussie get ITR's??

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I thought ITRs were fairly accepted as an extremely capable FWD car.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

If ITR stands for Integra Type R then yes - I beleive so.

1500quidporsche posted:

At least the replacing 'Sunshine State' was accurate. Yep unlike most of the world the sun shines here.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

tobu posted:

At least the replacing 'Sunshine State' was accurate. Yep unlike most of the world the sun shines here.

This hosed with my head for a second since "The Sunshine State" is also Florida's self-chosen nickname (although half the summer is actually thunderstorms so)

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Fucknag posted:

This hosed with my head for a second since "The Sunshine State" is also Florida's self-chosen nickname (although half the summer is actually thunderstorms so)

We get much more sun than half the year here so I guess the sunshine state thing is fair. I think we average something like 350 days of sunshine a year and the UV is pretty much the worst in the world.

It pretty much fucks all the plastics on cars to the point that my father is in an argument with Fiat because all the plastic is going on his two year old car and their response was something like "yeah, but the UV is really strong there" and his response is "You bloody sold it here - it should be able to deal with the UV".

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Did aussie get ITR's??

Australia got the DC2 era ITRs in European tune, and the DC5s badged as Type-R/Type-S throughout their lifetime with a K20A2/K20ZI depending on year

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Could you badly outline all the edges on my GTR? Thanks.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Aurune posted:

Could you badly outline all the edges on my GTR? Thanks.

$10 says the thing hanging from the mirror isn't even a handicap placard.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

kastein posted:

That's a grand cherokee. Specifically, a 99 and later WJ chassis.

And uh, here's the kicker, from the factory they are double shear :v:

Someone did a bad job of swapping those shocks. Probably some idiot 4 wheeler who is defending their dana 35 somewhere at this very moment.

I did some googling on this too, turns out people flip them inboard like that so they don't rub on their meaty phat tires. Some places offer a conversion bracket, others offer a superficial bracket that actually does nothing, but given how common it appears to be I'm sure it actually works just fine unless you do serious high speed bumps.

Darchangel posted:

loving idiot never even slightly turned the steering wheel until he was nearly stopped on the other side of the road. Turn into the skid, moron.

See, that's what I assume, but at the same time I've seen a few dozen videos like this of Mustangs, Vettes, Ferraris and now this BMW breaking traction and completely losing control, and it terrifies me of putting a big motor in my 122, because it makes it appear that breaking traction happens so fast that there's no recovery. But that can't be true, right? Or are there truly unrecoverable traction break situations? Like the ones where they go sideways, lift, and immediately whip the other way. I'm having trouble understanding the physics. Can you just not countersteer fast enough in that case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

I did some googling on this too, turns out people flip them inboard like that so they don't rub on their meaty phat tires. Some places offer a conversion bracket, others offer a superficial bracket that actually does nothing, but given how common it appears to be I'm sure it actually works just fine unless you do serious high speed bumps.

See, that's what I assume, but at the same time I've seen a few dozen videos like this of Mustangs, Vettes, Ferraris and now this BMW breaking traction and completely losing control, and it terrifies me of putting a big motor in my 122, because it makes it appear that breaking traction happens so fast that there's no recovery. But that can't be true, right? Or are there truly unrecoverable traction break situations? Like the ones where they go sideways, lift, and immediately whip the other way. I'm having trouble understanding the physics. Can you just not countersteer fast enough in that case?

Over countering causes that to happen, it's a gut reaction from inexperienced drivers to do so. Think of that video game you played as a kid, and when you started drifting, you swung the wheel the other way, which ended up causing an even more violent opposite way drift.