Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Nobody died in this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

I know you're going to be outraged and :argh: the entire event but can you at least read the book before giving out.

I saw the page where Leoparodon gets wrecked, which still counts as chumped in my book, although hey they actually spare Supaidaman, well done Slott for managing to hold off on one singular murder! Having seen the whole thing I'm still not impressed. Spider-Girl continues to apparently be a designated punching bag for Morluns. Has she managed anything on her own this whole story? She wound up fleeing from Daemos, and then got smacked around not once but twice by Morlun in a single panel with little apparent effort. Ugh.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lmao I just noticed the title change. So good.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yvonmukluk posted:

I saw the page where Leoparodon gets wrecked, which still counts as chumped in my book, although hey they actually spare Supaidaman, well done Slott for managing to hold off on one singular murder! Having seen the whole thing I'm still not impressed. Spider-Girl continues to apparently be a designated punching bag for Morluns. Has she managed anything on her own this whole story? She wound up fleeing from Daemos, and then got smacked around not once but twice by Morlun in a single panel with little apparent effort. Ugh.

Yeah the event is going to for sure end with May in a puddle of her own blood, crying, and not go with basic narrative structure and have the hero finally give the villain their comeuppance.

Like what do you want? For Spider Girl to snap Morluns neck or something?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Verna killed the Spider Girl with the blue leotard

But while the killing wasn't so bad this issue, is the overall tone of the issue that hurts it. The things that are moving the plot forward are due Silk and Jessica while Peter is constantly depicted like being incompetent by making a lot of wrong choices.

Plus the destruction of Leopardon is sort of a slap in the face for people that enjoys a more lighthearted Spiderman.

The only genuinely good thing of the issue was the Miles intermission, now that is the Spider Verse I'd like to read.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

A slap in the face
To all the true Toei Spider-Man fans out there
Both of them

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Little Mac posted:

Yeah the event is going to for sure end with May in a puddle of her own blood, crying, and not go with basic narrative structure and have the hero finally give the villain their comeuppance.

Like what do you want? For Spider Girl to snap Morluns neck or something?

Absolutely not, I'd like her not to get slapped away like a fly or just run off every time she fights a Morlun. I get the story has to have Morlun get away with Benjy, but at least make him expend some token effort for it. the jobbing at this point is just ridiculous, for all of the spiders (save SpOck-and even his triumph got negated by the clone reveal).

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Verna killed the Spider Girl with the blue leotard

But while the killing wasn't so bad this issue, is the overall tone of the issue that hurts it. The things that are moving the plot forward are due Silk and Jessica while Peter is constantly depicted like being incompetent by making a lot of wrong choices.

Plus the destruction of Leopardon is sort of a slap in the face for people that enjoys a more lighthearted Spiderman.

The only genuinely good thing of the issue was the Miles intermission, now that is the Spider Verse I'd like to read.

Never thought I'd find myself agreeing with you, but I agree with you.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Waterhaul posted:

Nobody died in this issue.
I mean, Knight Spider-Man got his chest punched through and some sort of Spider-Monkey (but maybe not THE Spider-Monkey) got his head ripped in half and a Spider-Lady wearing no pants all got murdered by the Morlun Family, but no one who mattered, yes.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean, Knight Spider-Man got his chest punched through and some sort of Spider-Monkey (but maybe not THE Spider-Monkey) got his head ripped in half and a Spider-Lady wearing no pants all got murdered by the Morlun Family, but no one who mattered, yes.

The fact that 99% of people didn't notice then yes. You're right.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Edge & Christian posted:

It was the old Spider-Lizard, but they only showed him getting murdered in silhouette. They show his corpse more clearly in 2099.

You'd think having that guy around would have bothered Spider-Gwen or something.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I saw it coming but it still sucks that leopardon completely jobbed out.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"more lighthearted spider-man"

you mean the one who mowed down enemies with a tommy gun that one time and constantly talks about how super into revenge he is

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This whole event has been garbage with like three good tie ins. It's because of irrational hate for Dan Slott that people don't like Spider Verse, it's because it's badly loving written. I liked at least 80% of Superior and was really excited for this event, so no one is more disappointed then me that it's absolute poo poo. Constant grimdark death and the most boring, overpowered villains possible really wreck the entire thing.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Waterhaul posted:

The fact that 99% of people didn't notice then yes. You're right.

You've got some low self-esteem if you think you're fat enough to account for 99% of people. Especially when they're comic book readers.

Angry Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 7, 2015

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

WickedHate posted:

This whole event has been garbage with like three good tie ins. It's because of irrational hate for Dan Slott that people don't like Spider Verse, it's because it's badly loving written. I liked at least 80% of Superior and was really excited for this event, so no one is more disappointed then me that it's absolute poo poo. Constant grimdark death and the most boring, overpowered villains possible really wreck the entire thing.

It seems to me like this entire event is a set up to kill one a Spider-man in use (probably kaine) in order to replace him with a new one(spider-gwen/silk).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Leopardon, no :(

At least Punisher 2099 got to hit whoever the villain is in the face with a future baseball bat.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Monaghan posted:

I saw it coming but it still sucks that leopardon completely jobbed out.

To be fair, he went down fighting a super powerful vampire, that had just absorbed the Enigma Force/Captain Universe energy and bought everyone enough time to escape.
It's not like he died for nothing.

Personally I thought this issue moved the overall plot along well. (Got the heroes moving, setup a weakness for the badguys, explained the Prophecy stuff a bit and indicated the villains had a goal other than "eat people.")

Also there was Spider cowboy.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The kind of thing that bothers me about events like this is how this one hero is suddenly the center of the universe, in these universes where there are much more important people on Earth, much less the galaxy and beyond than Peter Parker. Is someone leaping through realities trying to destroy Reed Richards? That's believable. Someone's leaping through reality to regional, mostly street-level vigilante? Why.

And this event continues to show that every idea Dan Slott has is wrote better by someone else in side stories. All the way back starting with Spider Island.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If the villians weren't so stupidly overpowered, Slott toned down the killings and wouldn't put a scene per issue (at least) of the Spidermen getting chumped this would be a good story.

Hell, I'd pay good money for an ongoing of Spidermen team ups.

Yeah, if Slott weren't writing this comic it might be good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Flameingblack posted:

The kind of thing that bothers me about events like this is how this one hero is suddenly the center of the universe, in these universes where there are much more important people on Earth, much less the galaxy and beyond than Peter Parker. Is someone leaping through realities trying to destroy Reed Richards? That's believable. Someone's leaping through reality to regional, mostly street-level vigilante? Why.

And this event continues to show that every idea Dan Slott has is wrote better by someone else in side stories. All the way back starting with Spider Island.

There aren't many alternate reality Richards's left I don't think. Hickman killed most of them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Most of infinity is a pretty meaningless number.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Fred is on posted:

See, we're all hoping for a balls-to-the-wall awesome moment where the giant robot(s?) comes in to save the day, but we all know what's likelier to happen is it'll appear for two panels and then get chumped by one of the Morluns so they can further establish how eeeeeevil and serious a threat they are.

God drat I hate being right.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
What I find briefly interesting (apologies for suddenly popping in) is that the story does kinda admit in that leaning on the fourth wall way that the opportunity was 'squandered'. I suppose Slott especially wanted to demonstrate how super awesome powerful his villains were now (as comic writers like to), and so consequently went for what he almost had to know people were expecting to come in and kick rear end. I have a small amount of hope that, if the line is self-aware (and with the fact he bothered to keep Takuya alive) that it might mean Leopardon getting a round 2 (somehow), but more likely is the dude just fading into the background with everyone else.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is just the only way he knows how to write a story like this. Badly. He lacks the ability to properly use the bombastic concept he came up with while still having dramatic stakes without resorting to constantly killing characters like it's a bad webcomic.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lurdiak posted:

like it's a bad webcomic.

:haw: good one!

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I got more excited by the Punisher 2099 appearance in Spider-Man 2099 than I did for the end of ASM.

Which isn't a slight to SM2099. Punisher beating the piss out of Daemos with a baseball bat was hype as gently caress.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Fred is on posted:

God drat I hate being right.

I mean, that would be an awesome gag ending, but come on if you honestly thought a particular moment where Leopardon just stomps on bad guys over and over was going to happen, you were fooling yourself. Even if the comic weren't grimdark, that's like totally on the other end of the comedy spectrum, into wacky hijinx (although I guess he could've shown up with Miles and the cartoon Spideys, but noooo everyone wanted a robot fight.) Supaidaman calling himself the emissary of hell will never not be funny though.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 8, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You could totally have Leopardon at least save the day in that particular situation without exploding. You could also build the robot up as a secret last hope, or anything. There's no reason to have the heroes constantly job to the villains to create tension unless you are a bad writer.

No one thought "To me, my Galactus" was a stupid gag ending.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

You could totally have Leopardon at least save the day in that particular situation without exploding. You could also build the robot up as a secret last hope, or anything. There's no reason to have the heroes constantly job to the villains to create tension unless you are a bad writer.

"To me my Galactus" worked because it had tons of buildup and everything worked in the story. A giant robot appearing from nowhere to save the day doesn't work in the same way at all. Although I suppose I agree that the explosion was unnecessary. Maybe Doc Ock and Sp//der can do the emissary of hell a solid after all this is over and fix the thing up.

edit:

It's funny, thinking about this whole darned event, that it's lazy writing but simultaneously, it's kind of necessary? Slott kind of wrote himself into a corner from the start by promising an event with every Spider-Man ever, then making it a story involving a bunch of vampires that kill Spideys. We all know it's gonna come down to 616 Spidey saving the day, so (like every good What If) all the other Spider-Men-and-Women are living on borrowed time. And since there are so many alternate Spider-Men with so many more amazing abilities than 616 Spidey (like Captain Universe Spidey or the Spider-Man with a loving giant robot) that by necessity they have to job out just to make 616 Parker even stand out in the grand scheme of things.

Frankly, the whole premise of the event is flawed. If you want to have every Spider-Man ever in an event, you can't have a villain that's based around killing Spider-Men, because you're inevitably going to anger fans when you off their favorite SM (is there a universally hated Spider-Man?). But if they don't kill any Spider-Men, well then there's no villain important enough to unite all the Spider-Men. The only way I see to do it is to just invent a whole bunch of random-rear end Spideys of your own creation so you don't have to write around the other Spideys' established personalities or abilities, but as it is, Spider-Verse is held back by being... Spider-Verse.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 8, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Lurdiak posted:

It's obviously being built up that either May, Benji or by default 616 Peter are going to save the day at the end of it, they are the ones having character development. "To me, my Galactus" was the capstone of months of character building, not just a "surprise we have a super strong weapon to save the day".

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

TwoPair posted:

It's funny, thinking about this whole darned event, that it's lazy writing but simultaneously, it's kind of necessary? Slott kind of wrote himself into a corner from the start by promising an event with every Spider-Man ever, then making it a story involving a bunch of vampires that kill Spideys. We all know it's gonna come down to 616 Spidey saving the day, so (like every good What If) all the other Spider-Men-and-Women are living on borrowed time. And since there are so many alternate Spider-Men with so many more amazing abilities than 616 Spidey (like Captain Universe Spidey or the Spider-Man with a loving giant robot) that by necessity they have to job out just to make 616 Parker even stand out in the grand scheme of things.

Frankly, the whole premise of the event is flawed. If you want to have every Spider-Man ever in an event, you can't have a villain that's based around killing Spider-Men, because you're inevitably going to anger fans when you off their favorite SM (is there a universally hated Spider-Man?). But if they don't kill any Spider-Men, well then there's no villain important enough to unite all the Spider-Men. The only way I see to do it is to just invent a whole bunch of random-rear end Spideys of your own creation so you don't have to write around the other Spideys' established personalities or abilities, but as it is, Spider-Verse is held back by being... Spider-Verse.

At least someone gets why this is all going down beyond, "Slott is a haaaaaaaaaaaaaack." Slott's generally been vocally anti-grim dark, so he's either writing uncharacteristically, or there's some switch at the end that revives the Spider-Men (like killing all the vampires releases their souls or something). I doubt this stuff is permanent, it's just ratcheting up the stakes.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The thing with Spider-Verse is that it's a bunch of What-If Spider-Men teaming up and if there's one thing that What If's have shown is that Spider-man dies, like a lot. It's even been a recurring joke for years now.

If you aren't 616 Spider-Man (and even then) your fate is to die regardless of the circumstances.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Suben posted:

I got more excited by the Punisher 2099 appearance in Spider-Man 2099 than I did for the end of ASM.

Which isn't a slight to SM2099. Punisher beating the piss out of Daemos with a baseball bat was hype as gently caress.

Did Punisher 2099 mention to anyone that his age is 36...CALIBER? Or that he lives...ON THE EDGE?

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
You don't have to kill to establish threat. The Spider-Men could be enslaved a la Verla's hounds or do body horror as they're turned into powerful spider-strands for the Web of Fate that the Gothic Victorian Cosplay Society are having Master Weaver make to give them control of the multiverse or something and then it's an easy enough fix for everything to be set straight at the end without feeling like a complete asspull.

Slott's just a bad writer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Angry Walrus posted:

You don't have to kill to establish threat. The Spider-Men could be enslaved a la Verla's hounds or do body horror as they're turned into powerful spider-strands for the Web of Fate that the Gothic Victorian Cosplay Society are having Master Weaver make to give them control of the multiverse or something and then it's an easy enough fix for everything to be set straight at the end without feeling like a complete asspull.

Exactly.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Angry Walrus posted:

And if there's no plan to set things straight at the end, by which I mean reverse things as if nothing happened.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

TwoPair posted:

(is there a universally hated Spider-Man?)

Peter Parker? It certainly seems like the universe hates him, anyway.

Has Spock met up with him and Miles yet? I lost interest in the whole thing very early on but confess to wondering how the Pete & Miles show is going...

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Spock hasn't had any direct interaction with Miles but they've both been in the same room.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think the Ultimate cartoon Spidey is pretty universally hated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Leopardon, no :(

At least Punisher 2099 got to hit whoever the villain is in the face with a future baseball bat.

My smile was huge when I turned to that page. I'm so happy this Spidey 2099 was plucked before the big purge because it means lots of the 2099 cast can show up in the book. Maybe if it's before One Nation Under Doom, even Ravage 2099 could show up.

• Locked thread