Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Porkchop Express posted:

That is really weird, I use yahoo weather and have never seen s single ad on it.

It was a big ad for the Yahoo News Digest app, so maybe its just a cross promotional thing. In fairness to the Weather app I only opened it once, so it might be a one time thing. I still really like the Yahoo Weather app (especially the look of it), I just like BeWeather more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

ChetReckless posted:

It was a big ad for the Yahoo News Digest app, so maybe its just a cross promotional thing.
Sadly, no. It started showing me ads this morning and the ones I saw before burying it deep in my weather-app folder were for third-party products.

Switched over to the Weather Underground app as my primary but I'm gonna miss the pretty pictures.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, rating it 1 because of the big egregious ads. Hopefully they'll get enough bad feedback to outweigh the money from the ads and reverse it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Random question, is there a good app for streaming media (specifically videos) from a computer to an iOS device?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Ursine Asylum posted:

Random question, is there a good app for streaming media (specifically videos) from a computer to an iOS device?

I use FileExplorer, which I believe has a built in player, but I combine it with VLC which will play anything. This works easiest with local network content, but I think you could set something up to access your content away from home.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Ursine Asylum posted:

Plex is pretty amazing for this.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Tsyni posted:

I use FileExplorer, which I believe has a built in player, but I combine it with VLC which will play anything. This works easiest with local network content, but I think you could set something up to access your content away from home.

I'd love to combine anything with VLC, but it's not available on the app store and after about an hour trying to gently caress with trying to get it to compile and run properly in XCode I gave up. :v: (My iOS stuff isn't jailbroken, for the record.)

thegreatcodfish posted:

Plex is pretty amazing for this.

I'll look into this, thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iTunes home sharing technically works for video, if you need a stopgap solution until you settle on something that doesn't suck.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What are people using for CBR/CBZ readers? Preferably with some way of adding comics via wifi or something.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Comiczeal can do that, as well as through Dropbox, etc. It's still the best I've found, even though I hate their slider organizer thing.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Bottom Liner posted:

Comiczeal can do that, as well as through Dropbox, etc. It's still the best I've found, even though I hate their slider organizer thing.

My ComicZeal can't do Dropbox. Is it only the ipad version?

I love the slide organizer. :(

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Ursine Asylum posted:

I've always been really fond of AirVideo server now AirVideo HD. It works anywhere and has always been extremely reliable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bummey posted:

My ComicZeal can't do Dropbox. Is it only the ipad version?

I love the slide organizer. :(

It's a universal app, and it says it can import from Dropbox, iCloud, Google Drive, Airdrop, etc on the store page. Open the file in the Dropbox app, then select "open in" and Comiczeal should be an option.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Endless Mike posted:

What are people using for CBR/CBZ readers? Preferably with some way of adding comics via wifi or something.

ComicRack does this, but the desktop version is Windows only and while the desktop version is free, the iOS version is $7.99.

That is my setup since I've used ComicRack for years and my stuff is all cataloged and filled with metadata...

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 8, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

ComicRack does this, but the desktop version is Windows only and while the desktop version is free, the iOS version is $7.99.

That is my setup since I've used ComicRack for years and my stuff is all cataloged and filled with metadata...

ComicRack is the current best comic app since Comic Zeal removed putting labels on it's folders for some reason.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
I'm looking for an app to browse/view/edit files over my local network and just now tried Documents.

It's pretty great but I want to be able to view files like images and videos without them being saved to the local storage on the ipad (streaming them or whatever?).

Is that possible with Goodreader or something else?

Bonus question: "Best" photo manager app that can read/manage image keywords added in Aperture or Adobe Bridge?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
"Streaming" just means that it's stored in a local temp folder instead of a local permanent folder.

File Browser will work great for what you want.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
There's a new scanning app from Evernote out.

I don't know what it's like though as the App Store won't let me download anything at the moment.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Whats the best apps for call recording?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

teraflame posted:

Whats the best apps for call recording?
I believe the answer is "none, you have to jailbreak" if I remember correctly from all the other times this has been asked.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I'm too lazy to quote poo poo but nPlayer was the correct answer to 50% of the questions in this page. And the last. And probably all of them since the start.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Chunkyreader is the best for this.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Are there any podcast apps that pause audio during notifications instead of just turning down the volume a bit? I listen to podcasts when I drive and I also use Waze most of the time, and when it reads off a new direction it can drown out the podcast.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I believe the answer is "none, you have to jailbreak" if I remember correctly from all the other times this has been asked.

Google Voice app used to do it, but you had to set up a certain way. I don't know if they've since removed that capability. But if you're talking native phone calls, jailbreaking is the only way as the Parrot says.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

The legality of recording phone conversations varies widely by location and who you're calling, hence the reason why there aren't any Apple-approved solutions and jailbreaking is your only option.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

GutBomb posted:

Are there any podcast apps that pause audio during notifications instead of just turning down the volume a bit? I listen to podcasts when I drive and I also use Waze most of the time, and when it reads off a new direction it can drown out the podcast.

As far as I know audio ducking during notifications is a system wide ios setting. Basically jailbreak or deal with it.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

"Streaming" just means that it's stored in a local temp folder instead of a local permanent folder.

File Browser will work great for what you want.

Thanks! I installed FileBrowser and transferred VLC from my iphone to the ipad. I can now stream videos and watch images instantly. :buddy:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Bottom Liner posted:

It's a universal app, and it says it can import from Dropbox, iCloud, Google Drive, Airdrop, etc on the store page. Open the file in the Dropbox app, then select "open in" and Comiczeal should be an option.

Mine isn't and doesn't. Maybe I'm using an older, pulled version? It works fine for my needs so I have no reason to buy the new one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, they did some weird stuff with ComicZeal. I had the original one on my iPhone 3g, then it became a universal app, got pulled, they released separate ones, and now a new one that is universal again? No loving clue, but I have it on my ipad, but it says I don't own it in the app store (it updates fine though). The current version does all of that though.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Is there any reason as to why the App Store would be denying me access to the Google Play Music app on my iPad? It insists that another account already purchased a free app, or the store has otherwise cancelled a purchase that was never supposed to occur.

Edit: looks like logging out did the trick. Thanks, Cap.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 10, 2015

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Is there any reason as to why the App Store would be denying me access to the Google Play Music app on my iPad? It insists that another account already purchased a free app, or the store has otherwise cancelled a purchase that was never supposed to occur.

Try restarting the device/logging out of/into your iTunes account.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
You can see your photos on iCloud.com now. It works well enough, I wish they just release the windows iCloud program for OSX.

e: Wrong thread, this isn't an app.

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 11, 2015

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Selklubber posted:

You can see your photos on iCloud.com now. It works well enough, I wish they just release the windows iCloud program for OSX.

e: Wrong thread, this isn't an app.

It's a web app, man. They're the sweet solution!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Runtastic PRO is free for I don't know how long.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Has the youtube official app performance gone to poo poo lately for anyone, or is it just my 5 starting to show its age?

Most notably rotating from portrait to landscape takes forever and it sometimes freaks out and spews gui elements all over the video after rotating.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

Has the youtube official app performance gone to poo poo lately for anyone, or is it just my 5 starting to show its age?

Most notably rotating from portrait to landscape takes forever and it sometimes freaks out and spews gui elements all over the video after rotating.
It seems like the YT app gets worse every time I launch it. It'll take forever to cache the start of a video (or not even load the UI frames to begin with to even start searching), randomly decide to stop caching until I change the video resolution, add an entire playlist to a TV Queue when I only want it to add one video, etc.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

ProTube supremacy.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

An Enormous Boner posted:

ProTube supremacy.

I'll second that.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
It's been terrible on my iPad 3. It cannot reliably play 1080p video and constantly buffers or changes resolutions and yeah also has issues rotating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

"Request Desktop Site..." remains the best way to youtube.